IGNORED

As crises go....

Bristol Oil Services

4 minutes ago, Dman_Red said:

I'm glad it's not just me then! You'd be giving an U10 team a bollocking for some of the things we've been doing from throw ins recently.

Over the last couple of months it's been ridiculous at how pedestrian our throw ins/goal kicks are. The movement off the ball is just as important as what the player in possession does. However, players seem to play a pass and then think 'job done', which invariably leads to Baker/Hunt/Williams player a sloppy clipped ball 50 yards up the pitch as it's their only option.

This is where I have some sympathy with LJ (assuming these things have been talked about in training, which I'd like to think so), because players should be able to make the 5 yard dash to receive the ball or make an angle so we can play ourselves out of trouble.

Putting aside some of Nagy's distribution against WBA, I do think he's the player we need in there as he does offer himself from set pieces to try and start to build from the back or sidelines.

A throw ins check how many players are in advance of the ball and the players positions flat v angles. At goal kicks look at the starting positions of players. Players are not going to short and long and high and wide to create space to move into .. Players doing as instructed.

City's academy teams at throw ins and goal kicks stretch the pitch. Movement follows this opening out … Young players doing as instructed.

Pass, move and repeat is not a priority of Lee Johnsons football. 

1 hour ago, tunnie12345 said:

The difference is the amount of money that has been pumped into the club is huge and being 10 places higher than we were 4 years ago is not value for Lansdown money. 

Even if we do talk about progress etc the season shows that the progression has halted and we could even be moving backwards and the worry is if we don't stop the regression which we could see then it is a slippery slope back down the league. 

If we look to change now we are an attractive team for a new manager to take over being in touching distance of the playoffs and great things happening off the field. Whereas finish in 15/16 which is where I think we will end up then we are just another mediocre proposition for a new manager! 

My considered view is - when I've calmed down a bit, and we're in between matchdays - that, at this rarefied nosebleed level for us, we are never going to be much more than 6 to 9 months or less away from another "crisis." We're always going to be under pressure and coming up against difficulties and problems. It will never be straightforward, plain sailing, for us, amongst yer Leeds Uniteds, Nottm Forests, Sheffield Weds, Derby Countys etc, let alone yer Man Uniteds, Arsenals, Liverpools etc (should we go up).

This "crisis," where the manager/hc is under pressure and more and more fans are becoming restless and wanting change, is refreshing in that it finds us looking longingly immediately up at what glory might be ours if we could only .....  rather than fearfully looking down at what disaster inevitably awaits.

I think we could relax and "enjoy" this "crisis" a bit more, and try supporting the team. It can actually be quite enjoyable and satisfying vocally encouraging your team even when they don't necessarily "deserve" it. When the football is dire/shite, it is possible to make your own enjoyment (as some other crowds most obviously do, ie Leeds and Sheffield Weds. Or Manchester City, before their rebranding). We could develop a bit of a sense of humour, and catastrophise a little less. If we want to.

The worst that will happen in the short term is that we will be a Championship side again next season.

It's easier for me, though: I can remember 1980 - 82 and going to Northampton and getting annihilated and a few years later seeing ten consecutive Bristol derbies without a win ...

7 minutes ago, jj77 said:

I can think of about 4 times where a win would have but City 2nd/3rd in the table and they went on to lose each game.

Two of them facing back to back home fixtures; Millwall/Blackburn and Birmingham/Derby, following away victories at Fulham and QPR. That Fulham victory felt like we'd proven our play-off credentials and would build on 4th place. How wrong we were.

7 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

My considered view is - when I've calmed down a bit, and we're in between matchdays - that, at this rarefied nosebleed level for us, we are never going to be much more than 6 to 9 months or less away from another "crisis." We're always going to be under pressure and coming up against difficulties and problems. It will never be straightforward, plain sailing, for us, amongst yer Leeds Uniteds, Nottm Forests, Sheffield Weds, Derby Countys etc, let alone yer Man Uniteds, Arsenals, Liverpools etc (should we go up).

This "crisis," where the manager/hc is under pressure and more and more fans are becoming restless and wanting change, is refreshing in that it finds us looking longingly immediately up at what glory might be ours if we could only .....  rather than fearfully looking down at what disaster inevitably awaits.

I think we could relax and "enjoy" this "crisis" a bit more, and try supporting the team. It can actually be quite enjoyable and satisfying vocally encouraging your team even when they don't necessarily "deserve" it. When the football is dire/shite, it is possible to make your own enjoyment (as some other crowds most obviously do, ie Leeds and Sheffield Weds. Or Manchester City, before their rebranding). We could develop a bit of a sense of humour, and catastrophise a little less. If we want to.

The worst that will happen in the short term is that we will be a Championship side again next season.

It's easier for me, though: I can remember 1980 - 82 and going to Northampton and getting annihilated and a few years later seeing ten consecutive Bristol derbies without a win ...

I think the problem for me is a just don't enjoy the match day experience at the moment. It is very Americanised at the moment and then to add to that the shi* football we are having to endure. I just don't look forward to Saturdays any more. The club is all about money now which I get as its a business but it just seems as long as the books balance Lansdown doesn't really care about the football anymore! 

38 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I think his last two finishes - 8th and 11th - are top twelve or thirteen post war (1945) finishes in the pyramid. So, results wise, pretty good going. This season might be "up there" too.

As far as quality and performances go, yes it's been rubbish and increasingly dire but when have we ever been anything else at this level or higher? We've almost always been dull or unexciting at this level or higher. 1990/91 was lively, but Alan Dicks's sides - they didn't win any awards or friends outside Bristol for easiness on the eye (only twice in 13 seasons did an AD side score 60 or more league goals).

If you want to see City turn on the style, you have to look at seasons in Division Three. I want to see us being even more turgid in the Premier League at least one season.

I don't know if we can have it all, or both - results and style - at this level. We're not going to have the best players at this level; or, if we do, they won't be here longer than one season. I think we could attack or shoot at goal a bit more, though. Granted.

SL agrees....He of course never said his expectation is improvement on 8th...Nope never...

Millions on a new stadium now to be added to by a hotel a basketball/Ice Hockey Arena and among Englands best rugby players to his stable to allow Bristol City FC to be lower second tier rubbish after investing millions upon millions in players alone, to continue to be historically rubbish and use that as an excuse for continuing garbage! Yep I can see that.

We are turgid. Most of us can take turgid while winning but we are not....We were out played by the divisions worst home team...There is something seriously wrong and the thought process that follows the path that we are always crap so suck it up, wont be a talking point when he calls Ashton today!!

Expectations of the major shareholder are a matter of record and the expectations of supporters will follow that and rightly so!!!

1 hour ago, tunnie12345 said:

I totally agree the club itself is not in crisis but maybe like this corona virus the best plan is to stop the rot now until it is too late. 

Also those seasons you talk about were also some of my first as a season ticket holder I had one under tinnion befor that but I know the feeling you talk about. However what I will say tho is back then we were a small club... The frustrating thing for fans is that the owner and most in the football world consider us a Premier league team in waiting and so they should with the money etc that has been spent. but to be at the point where it looks like a mid table shows that apart from Gary Johnson first season in the champ we really have gone no further on the pitch than we were 12 years ago on the pitch. 

Our current team I would say is easily 5 times better than our playoff season yet they play like they are 5 times worse! There is zero belief and it honestly looks like no one has a clue what they are supposed to be doing. 

If there was a crisis for me its that our owner spends crazy amounts of money but is happy to accept very little in return. 

I just wish Lansdown would come out and tell us his expectations or what his plan is as clearly the 5 pillars dross has changed now! 

As I have said in many other posts the worst thing for me is a just don't feel like part of the club like I used to. No excitement to go to games its more like a chour to do so. Its all about money now for Lansdown he doesn't care about the fans anymore! 

Is this bit actually true though?

44 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

As far as quality and performances go, yes it's been rubbish and increasingly dire but when have we ever been anything else at this level or higher? We've almost always been dull or unexciting at this level or higher. 1990/91 was lively, but Alan Dicks's sides - they didn't win any awards or friends outside Bristol for easiness on the eye (only twice in 13 seasons did an AD side score 60 or more league goals).

I don't know if we can have it all, or both - results and style - at this level. We're not going to have the best players at this level; or, if we do, they won't be here longer than one season. I think we could attack or shoot at goal a bit more, though. Granted.

Yes, true about Dicks. But - as you know! - in building a promotion team Dicks had to sign Scottish players no-one had heard of, coupled with Bristolian players no-one had heard of (outside of Bristol) for a total outlay of diddlysquat. 

Johnson on the other hand has been given millions upon millions upon millions of pounds to spend on players with Premiership and international experience, players from all over the world, commanding wages I thought we'd never countenance paying; been given training and support facilities that Alan Dicks could only dream of.

Dicks could defend his conservative playing style by pointing to the limited resources available to him.

Johnson's team can't even take a throw-in properly - that, and much more besides, is indefensible given the resources he has been afforded.

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

SL expects the play offs.

Two weeks ago we could have been level on points with the second place club.

I reckon the majority shareholder is livid with the last two weeks and the fact that our/his expectations have been downgraded so dramatically on the basis of three abject horror displays By a team he has put his millions upon millions into. 

my expectations will always reflect SLs

Fair comment as ever REDOXO, but, do you expect SL to act once he knows we aren't progressing, which, entertainment wise, we most certainly are not or wait until his precious SC sales drop like a stone due to the utter garbage his head coach is serving up?

I'm genuinely thinking of not bothering, after a lot of (46) years, not just because my dear old dad has had enough but also because it's utter rubbish and I leave the gate frustrated by the dross home performances we have seen for some time.

I believe it's time for change now, to allow any new head coach time to assess his squad before the summer. LJ is not going to lead us anywhere and, much as we would like him to, I see no reason why that will change. If anything, we are getting worse rather than improving.

Just my opinion but I'm sure it's one shared by quite a few.

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes, true about Dicks. But - as you know! - in building a promotion team Dicks had to sign Scottish players no-one had heard of, coupled with Bristolian players no-one had heard of (outside of Bristol) for a total outlay of diddlysquat. 

Johnson on the other hand has been given millions upon millions upon millions of pounds to spend on players with Premiership and international experience, players from all over the world, commanding wages I thought we'd never countenance paying; been given training and support facilities that Alan Dicks could only dream of.

Dicks could defend his conservative playing style by pointing to the limited resources available to him.

Johnson's team can't even take a throw-in properly - that, and much more besides, is indefensible given the resources he has been afforded.

Yes, maybe I'm overdoing this devil's advocate thing a bit here. A bit hard on Dicksy  (sacrilege) and too kind to LJ. The style is bloody dismal at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Fair comment as ever REDOXO, but, do you expect SL to act once he knows we aren't progressing, which, entertainment wise, we most certainly are not or wait until his precious SC sales drop like a stone due to the utter garbage his head coach is serving up?

I'm genuinely thinking of not bothering, after a lot of (46) years, not just because my dear old dad has had enough but also because it's utter rubbish and I leave the gate frustrated by the dross home performances we have seen for some time.

I believe it's time for change now, to allow any new head coach time to assess his squad before the summer. LJ is not going to lead us anywhere and, much as we would like him to, I see no reason why that will change. If anything, we are getting worse rather than improving.

Just my opinion but I'm sure it's one shared by quite a few.

One shared by me. 

Yes I definitely expect him to act if we lose the next two. People go on about who is out there, right now, but I’m not sure that matters. We fell back on coaching staff/senior players to see a season out before and will again. In the meantime Ashton will be checking the stats on replacements that may or may not be in management right now. 

Tell your dad he doesn’t have to commit to tickets yet. If LJ stays I won’t blame him to listening to radio Brizz rather watch rubbish followed by a defeat more often than not

Archived