Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

As crises go....


Recommended Posts

....this one (if we can say it is a crisis) is a measure of our progress. Our current standing.

Typically, it is Dec/Jan, we've won five games, our GD is -30 odd, we're bottom three and looking doomed. Whereas now, we have a manager/hc under pressure because his team don't look like reaching the Premier League this time.

Happy days. Good Times.

And I think we might win Saturday ......

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

....this one (if we can say it is a crisis) is a measure of our progress. Our current standing.

Typically, it is Dec/Jan, we've won five games, our GD is -30 odd, we're bottom three and looking doomed. Whereas now, we have a manager/hc under pressure because his team don't look like reaching the Premier League this time.

Happy days. Good Times.

And I think we might win Saturday ......

If we do win Saturday,it will only be a fleeting moment of pleasure!🙂

Edited by NOTBLUE
Link to post
Share on other sites

It feels more like a tipping point than a crisis.  There's an unusual level of dissatisfaction for a club our size in seventh place but I'd also say our results this season have been far better than our performances have really deserved and the entertainment value particularly at home is very low.  The frustration is probably enhanced by the quality of the squad - I think most fans think we have better players than we have for a long time and that we should be getting more out of them.

  • Like 18
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

That's one way of finding a silver lining - look at everything through the prism of our position in the table. But you know what I think about that!

So I'll put it another way: As a percentage, how much do you think the current manager is getting out of the talent available to him? 100%? 50%? 20%?

The feeling persists amongst some supporters that the current manager is getting nowhere near enough, and THIS is the source of much aggravation for some supporters at the moment.

If he was getting the team to play up to their potential, league position would take care of itself. As it is, game after game at the moment we can't even take throw ins properly - and yes! Liverpool have a throw in coach, so I rest me case! 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nibor said:

It feels more like a tipping point than a crisis.  There's an unusual level of dissatisfaction for a club our size in seventh place but I'd also say our results this season have been far better than our performances have really deserved and the entertainment value particularly at home is very low.  The frustration is probably enhanced by the quality of the squad - I think most fans think we have better players than we have for a long time and that we should be getting more out of them.

I think that statement is spot on.

Credit must go to MA/LJ for assembling one of the best squads we had in a long time - and to SL for bank-rolling the most expensive squad too.

But equally, blame must be apportioned to LJ and the coaching staff for not getting them to perform week-in, week-out.

 

  • Like 9
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Laner said:

I think that statement is spot on.

Credit must go to MA/LJ for assembling one of the best squads we had in a long time - and to SL for bank-rolling the most expensive squad too.

But equally, blame must be apportioned to LJ and the coaching staff for not getting them to perform week-in, week-out.

 

I could kind of understand it taking a while to get them to gel - that would be ok if we were giving them the chance to, but there is no way the players can succeed with the tombola.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

....this one (if we can say it is a crisis) is a measure of our progress. Our current standing.

Typically, it is Dec/Jan, we've won five games, our GD is -30 odd, we're bottom three and looking doomed. Whereas now, we have a manager/hc under pressure because his team don't look like reaching the Premier League this time.

Happy days. Good Times.

And I think we might win Saturday ......

Is this the same team that would have gone third in the table had we beaten Birmingham?

He's not under pressure for the reasons you state, again like others I have to ask have you actually been to any games recently? Even LJ is saying we are not good enough, yet for some unknown reason you think all is OK?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Laner said:

I think that statement is spot on.

Credit must go to MA/LJ for assembling one of the best squads we had in a long time - and to SL for bank-rolling the most expensive squad too.

 

**But equally, blame must be apportioned to LJ and the coaching staff for not getting them to perform week-in, week-out.

 

** actually they've been pretty consistent performers weak in weak out ! 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

....As it is, game after game at the moment we can't even take throw ins properly - and yes! Liverpool have a throw in coach, so I rest me case! 

That has been doing my head in for ages now. Making yourself available at a throw-in is just about the easiest thing to practice in training.

And Bentley has clearly been given a fixed instruction to throw out when he has ball in hand. Every damned time even if it immediately puts the backline under pressure.

It's so basic I would trust the players to get it right without any coaching but our three experts can't see the wood for the trees.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Xiled said:

That has been doing my head in for ages now. Making yourself available at a throw-in is just about the easiest thing to practice in training.

And Bentley has clearly been given a fixed instruction to throw out when he has ball in hand. Every damned time even if it immediately puts the backline under pressure.

It's so basic I would trust the players to get it right without any coaching but our three experts can't see the wood for the trees.

Mental isn't it. Something's up somewhere!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, phantom said:

Is this the same team that would have gone third in the table had we beaten Birmingham?

He's not under pressure for the reasons you state, again like others I have to ask have you actually been to any games recently? Even LJ is saying we are not good enough, yet for some unknown reason you think all is OK?

Not everyone is entirely serious, or straightforward, about what they post 😉

I guess it's an effort to see the bigger picture, to put everything in a historical context. Rather than just focus on how sh1te we've been playing in the last few months.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was 16-18 years of age I purchased my first season tickets and used to go to every home match. Even going on my own at occasions where the friend I used to go with couldn't. During those two seasons, we were relegated from the Championship under McInnes/SOD and languished in League 1 with SOD until Cotterill took over. Some of the most appalling football and worst results that could be hoped for, and we looked to be heading in an awful direction. Since then I have not been able to have a season ticket and don't live in the South-West anymore due to University so don't get to watch city in the flesh as much (although had Robins TV in the great 2017/18 when I was living in Spain so caught every match then, great times). 

What those two seasons, the first proper experience I had as a fan going regularly, has put into perspective to me, is that no season we have had since those seasons can be considered any worse than then. Where we are now is outstanding compared to then. Despite the football being less than attractive on the pitch, we are in such a better position all round, and we will benefit in the long-term from what has been built. It may be that we may have to change the manager at the end of the season and recalibrate a bit, but there is no crisis as far as i'm concerned, just a very average season. We will go again. 

COYR!

Edited by marcofisher
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That's one way of finding a silver lining - look at everything through the prism of our position in the table. But you know what I think about that!

So I'll put it another way: As a percentage, how much do you think the current manager is getting out of the talent available to him? 100%? 50%? 20%?

The feeling persists amongst some supporters that the current manager is getting nowhere near enough, and THIS is the source of much aggravation for some supporters at the moment.

If he was getting the team to play up to their potential, league position would take care of itself. As it is, game after game at the moment we can't even take throw ins properly - and yes! Liverpool have a throw in coach, so I rest me case! 

Friends with Johnson, and used to take throw ins. Who shall we get in? I can only come up with Josh Brownhill. 

Edited by AppyDAZE
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

When I was 16-18 years of age I purchased my first season tickets and used to go to every home match. Even going on my own at occasions where the friend I used to go with couldn't. During those two seasons, we were relegated from the Championship under McInnes/SOD and languished in League 1 with SOD until Cotterill took over. Some of the most appalling football and worst results that could be hoped for, and we looked to be heading in an awful direction. Since then I have not been able to have a season ticket and don't live in the South-West anymore due to University so don't get to watch city in the flesh as much (although had Robins TV in the great 2017/18 when I was living in Spain so caught every match then, great times). 

What those two seasons, the first proper experience I had as a fan going regularly, has put into perspective to me, is that no season we have had since those seasons can be considered any worse than then. Where we are now is outstanding compared to then. Despite the football being less than attractive on the pitch, we are in such a better position all round, and we will benefit in the long-term from what has been built. It may be that we may have to change the manager at the end of the season and recalibrate a bit, but there is no crisis as far as i'm concerned, just a very average season. We will go again. 

COYR!

Some decent perspective.

Last night was abysmal, stunningly so. I could hardly believe what I was watching in the first half. But nearly all sides have nights like that away from home during a season. In the modern era, more fans get to see them because of Sky red button and BCFC TV. I'm not excusing it, just saying it's happened before and will happen again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

....this one (if we can say it is a crisis) is a measure of our progress. Our current standing.

Typically, it is Dec/Jan, we've won five games, our GD is -30 odd, we're bottom three and looking doomed. Whereas now, we have a manager/hc under pressure because his team don't look like reaching the Premier League this time.

Happy days. Good Times.

And I think we might win Saturday ......

The difference is the amount of money that has been pumped into the club is huge and being 10 places higher than we were 4 years ago is not value for Lansdown money. 

Even if we do talk about progress etc the season shows that the progression has halted and we could even be moving backwards and the worry is if we don't stop the regression which we could see then it is a slippery slope back down the league. 

If we look to change now we are an attractive team for a new manager to take over being in touching distance of the playoffs and great things happening off the field. Whereas finish in 15/16 which is where I think we will end up then we are just another mediocre proposition for a new manager! 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Some decent perspective.

Last night was abysmal, stunningly so. I could hardly believe what I was watching in the first half. But nearly all sides have nights like that away from home during a season. In the modern era, more fans get to see them because of Sky red button and BCFC TV. I'm not excusing it, just saying it's happened before and will happen again.

Correct it has happened before and it has happened again again again and again and again and again just about every home game

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

When I was 16-18 years of age I purchased my first season tickets and used to go to every home match. Even going on my own at occasions where the friend I used to go with couldn't. During those two seasons, we were relegated from the Championship under McInnes/SOD and languished in League 1 with SOD until Cotterill took over. Some of the most appalling football and worst results that could be hoped for, and we looked to be heading in an awful direction. Since then I have not been able to have a season ticket and don't live in the South-West anymore due to University so don't get to watch city in the flesh as much (although had Robins TV in the great 2017/18 when I was living in Spain so caught every match then, great times). 

What those two seasons, the first proper experience I had as a fan going regularly, has put into perspective to me, is that no season we have had since those seasons can be considered any worse than then. Where we are now is outstanding compared to then. Despite the football being less than attractive on the pitch, we are in such a better position all round, and we will benefit in the long-term from what has been built. It may be that we may have to change the manager at the end of the season and recalibrate a bit, but there is no crisis as far as i'm concerned, just a very average season. We will go again. 

COYR!

I totally agree the club itself is not in crisis but maybe like this corona virus the best plan is to stop the rot now until it is too late. 

Also those seasons you talk about were also some of my first as a season ticket holder I had one under tinnion befor that but I know the feeling you talk about. However what I will say tho is back then we were a small club... The frustrating thing for fans is that the owner and most in the football world consider us a Premier league team in waiting and so they should with the money etc that has been spent. but to be at the point where it looks like a mid table shows that apart from Gary Johnson first season in the champ we really have gone no further on the pitch than we were 12 years ago on the pitch. 

Our current team I would say is easily 5 times better than our playoff season yet they play like they are 5 times worse! There is zero belief and it honestly looks like no one has a clue what they are supposed to be doing. 

If there was a crisis for me its that our owner spends crazy amounts of money but is happy to accept very little in return. 

I just wish Lansdown would come out and tell us his expectations or what his plan is as clearly the 5 pillars dross has changed now! 

As I have said in many other posts the worst thing for me is a just don't feel like part of the club like I used to. No excitement to go to games its more like a chour to do so. Its all about money now for Lansdown he doesn't care about the fans anymore! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

....this one (if we can say it is a crisis) is a measure of our progress. Our current standing.

Typically, it is Dec/Jan, we've won five games, our GD is -30 odd, we're bottom three and looking doomed. Whereas now, we have a manager/hc under pressure because his team don't look like reaching the Premier League this time.

Happy days. Good Times.

And I think we might win Saturday ......

THis is where I've been for the last few weeks and trying to keep some realism that actually we havent been an established Championship club for many seasons in my time as a supporter so to suddenly be expecting playoffs / promotion is a sign of how far we've come.

That said I understand why there's a frustration that we are so close, we have the stadium and off-field infrastructure in place, and we have a pretty good squad on paper that it would be a waste of a good opportunity to fall away again. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

As it is, game after game at the moment we can't even take throw ins properly - and yes! Liverpool have a throw in coach, so I rest me case! 

This actually had me swearing at the tv last night, on at least 3 occasions I recall us rushing a throw and giving it directly to their players

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

This actually had me swearing at the tv last night, on at least 3 occasions I recall us rushing a throw and giving it directly to their players

Spot on. I have been astonished for ages at how poor our distribution is from throw ins (actually how poor our distribution is in general) but sticking with throw ins, it is shocking circa 90% of the time we give the ball away from our throw and on Saturday the first WBA goal came from our throw in! Given LJ talks about the extra 1% here and there making all the difference if he spent time coaching quality from our throws we’d see an improvement.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

THis is where I've been for the last few weeks and trying to keep some realism that actually we havent been an established Championship club for many seasons in my time as a supporter so to suddenly be expecting playoffs / promotion is a sign of how far we've come.

That said I understand why there's a frustration that we are so close, we have the stadium and off-field infrastructure in place, and we have a pretty good squad on paper that it would be a waste of a good opportunity to fall away again. 

I don’t ‘expect the play offs’ though it would be nice.

What I do expect is 100% effort, some entertainment and some cohesive football, not the absolute dross we’ve seen consistently this season, particularly at home. Let’s be honest, it’s rubbish and says more about the relative weakness of the division rather than our strengths.

No more chances and bewildering self obsessed waffle, get rid before the SC renewal numbers plummet.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I don’t ‘expect the play offs’ though it would be nice.

What I do expect is 100% effort, some entertainment and some cohesive football, not the absolute dross we’ve seen consistently this season, particularly at home. Let’s be honest, it’s rubbish and says more about the relative weakness of the division rather than our strengths.

No more chances and bewildering self obsessed waffle, get rid before the SC renewal numbers plummet.

SL expects the play offs.
 

Two weeks ago we could have been level on points with the second place club.

I reckon the majority shareholder is livid with the last two weeks and the fact that our/his expectations have been downgraded so dramatically on the basis of three abject horror displays By a team he has put his millions upon millions into. 
 

my expectations will always reflect SLs

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phantom said:

Is this the same team that would have gone third in the table had we beaten Birmingham?

He's not under pressure for the reasons you state, again like others I have to ask have you actually been to any games recently? Even LJ is saying we are not good enough, yet for some unknown reason you think all is OK?

I think his last two finishes - 8th and 11th - are top twelve or thirteen post war (1945) finishes in the pyramid. So, results wise, pretty good going. This season might be "up there" too.

As far as quality and performances go, yes it's been rubbish and increasingly dire but when have we ever been anything else at this level or higher? We've almost always been dull or unexciting at this level or higher. 1990/91 was lively, but Alan Dicks's sides - they didn't win any awards or friends outside Bristol for easiness on the eye (only twice in 13 seasons did an AD side score 60 or more league goals).

If you want to see City turn on the style, you have to look at seasons in Division Three. I want to see us being even more turgid in the Premier League at least one season.

 

I don't know if we can have it all, or both - results and style - at this level. We're not going to have the best players at this level; or, if we do, they won't be here longer than one season. I think we could attack or shoot at goal a bit more, though. Granted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Xiled said:

That has been doing my head in for ages now. Making yourself available at a throw-in is just about the easiest thing to practice in training.

And Bentley has clearly been given a fixed instruction to throw out when he has ball in hand. Every damned time even if it immediately puts the backline under pressure.

It's so basic I would trust the players to get it right without any coaching but our three experts can't see the wood for the trees.

 

12 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Spot on. I have been astonished for ages at how poor our distribution is from throw ins (actually how poor our distribution is in general) but sticking with throw ins, it is shocking circa 90% of the time we give the ball away from our throw and on Saturday the first WBA goal came from our throw in! Given LJ talks about the extra 1% here and there making all the difference if he spent time coaching quality from our throws we’d see an improvement.

I'm glad it's not just me then! You'd be giving an U10 team a bollocking for some of the things we've been doing from throw ins recently.

Over the last couple of months it's been ridiculous at how pedestrian our throw ins/goal kicks are. The movement off the ball is just as important as what the player in possession does. However, players seem to play a pass and then think 'job done', which invariably leads to Baker/Hunt/Williams player a sloppy clipped ball 50 yards up the pitch as it's their only option.

This is where I have some sympathy with LJ (assuming these things have been talked about in training, which I'd like to think so), because players should be able to make the 5 yard dash to receive the ball or make an angle so we can play ourselves out of trouble.

Putting aside some of Nagy's distribution against WBA, I do think he's the player we need in there as he does offer himself from set pieces to try and start to build from the back or sidelines.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

It's embarrassing.

It can't be that hard to utilise throw-ins to our advantage rather than benefiting the opposition.

Our crap throw-ins make me want to throw up.

Free kicks, throw ins and corners.

Is it a Bristol City thing, but I seem to remember us always being pretty useless at all dead ball  and that's going back to the late 60s!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...