Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

matalan12

An open letter to club - why I wont be renewing...

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Think how much worse it would have been if we had moved to Ashton Vale. Or if Lansdown sold up and we got some owners who changed the kit to blue ala Tan and Cardiff. In terms of respecting history, we really don't have it bad in comparison to some other clubs. 

Tbf we don't have it bad. I like the new stadium. I liked the old one and you're right, it had more character. But the new stadium is better, facilities are a million times better, and that's what we will need if we do make it to the prem. 

P.s. I doubt you would have written this post if we had won the last 3 matches

We had far bigger crowds at the old Ashton Gate none of which is still standing, we also managed to get to the top division while playing in it. These million times better facilities how much profit from them goes to BCFC and how much to BSport? and what we need to get to the prem is a decent manager not a posh stadium.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

We dont "have it" otherwise we would get all its revenue, we are now part of something else. Do we have any say at all on what goes on in this stadium "we now have"?

Has that changed since the rebuild? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

You miss the OPs key point. 

Every other club he mentions has spent money on their stadia and created something far more special when it comes to atmosphere. 

The atmosphere is the people. We don't have a vocal fanbase. We never have. Nervous groans and abusing the officials/players/opposition is about all. 

I tend to be quite the happy clapper, and I happen to love the stadium. But, I do agree about the positioning of support. We've messed up and we need to do something about it. 

The singing section should be behind the goal. And it should be encouraged. But it isn't down to the club to manufacture atmosphere. That's on us. 

The away fans should not have an end. The Atyeo is a horrible stand, but it's a home end. Because all ends are home ends. 

Stick the away fans in the clouds. Make their experience shit. Make it placid for them. Give them nobody to get irrate with. Make them irrelevant. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I think you will find they have much better weather in Barcelona and I don't think open roof stands will ever be built again, certainly not in the UK.  Supporters don't want to be soaked while watching their team.

They'd be away fans so who gives a toss if they got wet

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I hear you about the away fans.

My hope, deluded as it may be, is that one day the Atyeo will be given a makeover as a two tier stand - away fans in the top - and built in such a way (it must be possible in this day and age) that the roof lets the sound out rather than keeping it in. If not - just don't put a roof on it because there's tons of grounds in Europe - home to world class clubs - where the top tier is open to the elements. If it's good enough for Barca, it's good enough for us.

Lower tier Atyeo is then for home fans = home fans behind both goals. Segregation not a problem as Away fans can enter/exit from Hirerite side, home fans from the Dolman side.

Not a priority but all entirely possible if you have the imagination or want to take City supporters' concerns seriously. Which means it will probably never happen.    

weather?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

We had far bigger crowds at the old Ashton Gate none of which is still standing, we also managed to get to the top division while playing in it. These million times better facilities how much profit from them goes to BCFC and how much to BSport? and what we need to get to the prem is a decent manager not a posh stadium.

that was all standing Have a go at Politicians not the club on capacity but we don't need a stadium as you have stated you don't go anymore.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, matalan12 said:

To whom it may concern at the club,

With the renewal letters for season tickets being sent out this past week, I wanted to make my feelings clear on why, with a heavy heart, I will not be renewing my season ticket this year for the first time since 2001. This is the first time ever that I’ve felt differently getting that renewal letter through the door. Every year up until now has been a no-brainer to renew, but Saturday’s home defeat to West Brom was the nail in the coffin for me and it's nothing to do with matters on the pitch.

I’ve been in the “singing section” since they first took up an empty half of the old wedlock stand. The years in that stand were fantastic, so many great memories that will stay with me forever. The rebuild goes through and so we are moved into the Williams, then one side of the Atyeo, then the other side. Until eventually, being moved into the corner of the South Stand. We were the very last group of fans to be involved with the rebuild, and I’m convinced that we were only moved at the request of the police or SAG, rather than an incentive by the club. If the club wanted us behind the goal, where it should always have been, it would have been there from the very start.

I’ve always felt that this section of fans was seen as more of a hindrance, by the both club and authorities, than a focal point, something to build the fanbase and atmosphere around. We built that new stand from the ground up, a fresh start. It was a real opportunity to create something for other clubs to be envious of. But we’ve really missed a trick. We’ve actually taken a backwards, where Ashton Gate used to feel like more of a fortress, hostile, somewhere fans didn't necessarily want to come. Now, we are a pushover. Bigger teams come down here, they pack out that whole end behind the goal, and create more noise than us with ease. They run on the pitch when they score, they through the ball around when it goes in the crowd, they hang their flags and bang their drum, they really suck that ball into the net. This should never have been allowed to happen.

The only teams in the premier league not to have fans behind both goals are Brighton and Sheffield United. What does that tell you? Even Bournemouth have figured it out. All the biggest clubs in Europe and the bigger clubs in the Championship follow suit. Fans behind both goals would make a huge difference. As soon as the Lansdown Stand was finished, they should have been put at the top, out of the way, no more than 10% of the capacity. But of course, we didn't have proper football people making these decisions.

I drove past the stadium one night during the week and the outside was illuminated in blue. I was not comforted in the slightest that the rugby team were also playing that night. Ashton Gate is RED, and it should always be red. I don't like the constant reminder of rugby under the Lansdown Stand. Ashton Gate is always a football ground. I don't like the pizzeria. I don't like the coffee shop. I don't like the lame live music karaoke nonsense outside before games. I don't like having my ticket checked 2 or 3 times before I reach my seat. I’m at home. I know where I’m going. I don't like how bright the exit lights and advertising hoardings are. They all distract from what's happening on the pitch. I don't like that we keep the lights on in the roof at nights games because I’m being watched on CCTV with HD cameras. It ruins that night game atmosphere, it doesn't happen at others grounds and it never used to happen. I don't like the Heineken Lounge, how its randomly placed, never used except for bouncers to stand there and watch us, and how it should have just been more seats as it is a football ground after all.

It’s too late now to create something like the South Bank at Molineux, or the single tiered end at Tottenham. Fans in the South Stand have their seats, they don't want to be moved and I understand that. But the potential is still there, the demand is still there, the singing section is always the busiest part of the ground. Given the chance, we have a fanbase that would make the most of it. I’m sick of seeing away fans come down here and take over. Put them up the top of the Lansdown, open up the Atyeo to all singers and I’m sure, we could fill it. A mini wall of noise, with a low roof, and really get that home advantage back. But until us fans are given the opportunity to really create a cauldron of noise, I won't be returning.

I was delighted when we initially decided to stay and rebuild, rather than move to another site. I was afraid that moving would make the club unrecognisable, that we might lose our identity. But on Saturday it hit me right in the face that is exactly what as happened. We’ve become everything I hated about modern football, almost over night.

I loved the old Ashton Gate. It had character, history, atmosphere. A sense of belonging. But now, I’ve never felt less valued as a fan. It doesn’t feel like my home any more, and it really makes me quite upset. I’ve really tried to get on board with the transformation, to accept it and move on. But I just feel that era is truly over, because in what feels like a very short space of time, I don't recognise anything about Bristol City FC any more. I’ll continue to support in my own way, I’ll travel to more away games than usual and from watch from home on TV. What was once my home is not my home anymore...

I to have great memories especially the late 70s and early 80s where Ashton gate was like a second home, i remember almost every inch of the old Ashton gate, for a couple of seasons a group of us would be in the open end, then we switched late 70s to the Enclosure just in front of the Grand Stand in the corner by the East End, if we had enough money we even went in to the Dolman Stand.

 However and unfortunately that era is gone and what we call the new stadium is futuristic, more modern, comfortable, compliant and I bet there are quite a few other clubs currently in the championship and even some in the Prem that would love to have a home base like this.

Could your frustrations be more driven from the disappointment on the pitch this season more than the ground itself  perhaps ?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

They'd be away fans so who gives a toss if they got wet

:dunno: you are having a laugh right ?

  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, City oz said:

I to have great memories especially the late 70s and early 80s where Ashton gate was like a second home, i remember almost every inch of the old Ashton gate, for a couple of seasons a group of us would be in the open end, then we switched late 70s to the Enclosure just in front of the Grand Stand in the corner by the East End, if we had enough money we even went in to the Dolman Stand.

 However and unfortunately that era is gone and what we call the new stadium is futuristic, more modern, comfortable, compliant and I bet there are quite a few other clubs currently in the championship and even some in the Prem that would love to have a home base like this.

Could your frustrations be more driven from the disappointment on the pitch this season more than the ground itself  perhaps ?

Think you're absolutely bang on with that view. Watching City on occasions these days is like watching paint dry. Excitement is at a Premium. Most of the OP's points could be written in a chapter called "modern football". Most grounds are the same....soulless. Even Anfield was quiet the other night til they went in front. Pompey and Leeds fans stand out because of the noise they create,....but travel to Watford, Bournemouth, Fulham etc, and it's much like AG. No real atmosphere. 

 

Ive sometimes wondered about the "singing section". It sometimes sounds desperate. It's as if they are keeping each other happy rather than cheering on the team. Sorry. It's just the way I see it...but there again, I saw the best of the EE in the 70;s in top flight. The Gate has occasionally rocked since, but mostly....errr no. Odd games like MUFC stand out, but the only differences since the Glory Days  are episodes under Coops,  under Danny Wilson, under Jordans leadership and then Cotts. Many years and little so show for it. The atmosphere generally reflects that. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

They'd be away fans so who gives a toss if they got wet

I well remember getting  soaked on the Stratton Bank at Swindon more than once  and also at Griffin Pk.............:dunno:

Thats the way it was back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

s

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I well remember getting  soaked on the Stratton Bank at Swindon more than once  and also at Griffin Pk.............:dunno:

Thats the way it was back then.

Same at Cardiff and Pompey., Leyton Orient didnt have a lid either. Bournemouth was err....exposed. Brighton's terrace was wide open as the Muller Road End at Gas Central. I also recall soakings at both Nottingham grounds. Oldham was as exposed as it gets. If I remember right, Roker Park  also didn't have a lid  (like Southampton). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, matalan12 said:

To whom it may concern at the club,

With the renewal letters for season tickets being sent out this past week, I wanted to make my feelings clear on why, with a heavy heart, I will not be renewing my season ticket this year for the first time since 2001. This is the first time ever that I’ve felt differently getting that renewal letter through the door. Every year up until now has been a no-brainer to renew, but Saturday’s home defeat to West Brom was the nail in the coffin for me and it's nothing to do with matters on the pitch.

I’ve been in the “singing section” since they first took up an empty half of the old wedlock stand. The years in that stand were fantastic, so many great memories that will stay with me forever. The rebuild goes through and so we are moved into the Williams, then one side of the Atyeo, then the other side. Until eventually, being moved into the corner of the South Stand. We were the very last group of fans to be involved with the rebuild, and I’m convinced that we were only moved at the request of the police or SAG, rather than an incentive by the club. If the club wanted us behind the goal, where it should always have been, it would have been there from the very start.

I’ve always felt that this section of fans was seen as more of a hindrance, by the both club and authorities, than a focal point, something to build the fanbase and atmosphere around. We built that new stand from the ground up, a fresh start. It was a real opportunity to create something for other clubs to be envious of. But we’ve really missed a trick. We’ve actually taken a backwards, where Ashton Gate used to feel like more of a fortress, hostile, somewhere fans didn't necessarily want to come. Now, we are a pushover. Bigger teams come down here, they pack out that whole end behind the goal, and create more noise than us with ease. They run on the pitch when they score, they through the ball around when it goes in the crowd, they hang their flags and bang their drum, they really suck that ball into the net. This should never have been allowed to happen.

The only teams in the premier league not to have fans behind both goals are Brighton and Sheffield United. What does that tell you? Even Bournemouth have figured it out. All the biggest clubs in Europe and the bigger clubs in the Championship follow suit. Fans behind both goals would make a huge difference. As soon as the Lansdown Stand was finished, they should have been put at the top, out of the way, no more than 10% of the capacity. But of course, we didn't have proper football people making these decisions.

I drove past the stadium one night during the week and the outside was illuminated in blue. I was not comforted in the slightest that the rugby team were also playing that night. Ashton Gate is RED, and it should always be red. I don't like the constant reminder of rugby under the Lansdown Stand. Ashton Gate is always a football ground. I don't like the pizzeria. I don't like the coffee shop. I don't like the lame live music karaoke nonsense outside before games. I don't like having my ticket checked 2 or 3 times before I reach my seat. I’m at home. I know where I’m going. I don't like how bright the exit lights and advertising hoardings are. They all distract from what's happening on the pitch. I don't like that we keep the lights on in the roof at nights games because I’m being watched on CCTV with HD cameras. It ruins that night game atmosphere, it doesn't happen at others grounds and it never used to happen. I don't like the Heineken Lounge, how its randomly placed, never used except for bouncers to stand there and watch us, and how it should have just been more seats as it is a football ground after all.

It’s too late now to create something like the South Bank at Molineux, or the single tiered end at Tottenham. Fans in the South Stand have their seats, they don't want to be moved and I understand that. But the potential is still there, the demand is still there, the singing section is always the busiest part of the ground. Given the chance, we have a fanbase that would make the most of it. I’m sick of seeing away fans come down here and take over. Put them up the top of the Lansdown, open up the Atyeo to all singers and I’m sure, we could fill it. A mini wall of noise, with a low roof, and really get that home advantage back. But until us fans are given the opportunity to really create a cauldron of noise, I won't be returning.

I was delighted when we initially decided to stay and rebuild, rather than move to another site. I was afraid that moving would make the club unrecognisable, that we might lose our identity. But on Saturday it hit me right in the face that is exactly what as happened. We’ve become everything I hated about modern football, almost over night.

I loved the old Ashton Gate. It had character, history, atmosphere. A sense of belonging. But now, I’ve never felt less valued as a fan. It doesn’t feel like my home any more, and it really makes me quite upset. I’ve really tried to get on board with the transformation, to accept it and move on. But I just feel that era is truly over, because in what feels like a very short space of time, I don't recognise anything about Bristol City FC any more. I’ll continue to support in my own way, I’ll travel to more away games than usual and from watch from home on TV. What was once my home is not my home anymore...

Good points very well made.

What you are really saying, and its loud an clear, is that those who now own and run our club did not communicate with the City fans, who had paid money for many years to follow the club that play there, prior to setting out the new stadium. Which as nice a sit is, clearly lacks soul.  Which... as a mirror image... is exactly like those aforementioned people who own and run the club. So much for loyalty at Bristol City.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of how some of us have fond memories and a fair few bruises from yesteryear and no matter how much we miss it, the club have moved into a modern, corporate business model. 
I don’t particularly enjoy it like I did but, as a club, we didn’t really have a choice.

Great points by the OP but what else, as a club, could we do to progress? I do agree by the way.

Nostalgia is wonderful but those days have, unfortunately, gone. The day of being a ‘supporter’ have been replaced by being a ‘customer’ sadly.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

We had far bigger crowds at the old Ashton Gate none of which is still standing, we also managed to get to the top division while playing in it. These million times better facilities how much profit from them goes to BCFC and how much to BSport? and what we need to get to the prem is a decent manager not a posh stadium.

The Dolman is still standing - that was never demolished - but apart from that I totally agree with you - I loved being in a 38,000 crowd at The Gate vs Liverpool - the old Ashton Gate was fantastic ...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Rich said:

I understand exactly where you're coming from. This club is run by accountants, decisions are taken on financial grounds firstly, rather than football reasons. Finances are very important but, get the support for the first team right in every way and, as a priority. This club would and I believe is, trying to change the core of supporters to a more middle income earner support base. People that can pay more, don't complain and can afford to bring their families. 

Excuse me I’m an accountant but I’m ****** if I’d have anything to do with this.

The OP has nailed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Think how much worse it would have been if we had moved to Ashton Vale. Or if Lansdown sold up and we got some owners who changed the kit to blue ala Tan and Cardiff. In terms of respecting history, we really don't have it bad in comparison to some other clubs. 

Tbf we don't have it bad. I like the new stadium. I liked the old one and you're right, it had more character. But the new stadium is better, facilities are a million times better, and that's what we will need if we do make it to the prem. 

P.s. I doubt you would have written this post if we had won the last 3 matches

Lansdown wanted desperately to move to Ashton Vale so your point is a non point. 
 

And before you make a similar point as your last Para I was very vocal in my opposition to Ashton Vale and very vocal in my calling out of the horse shit reasons given for wanting to move there. 
 

Redevelopment of Ashton Gate is fine it’s what I always said was possible and SL always said wasn’t until he was refused permission for Ashton Vale, but from a certain type of football fans point of view it’s shit our vocal fans in the corner is a ******* joke 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s a conundrum for me Phants.

I miss the craic and atmosphere of the old EE but back then I was much younger and that kind of match day experience was right up my street. However nowadays I’d notice the piss if there was any on toilet floor and I would not be too happy about it! I quite like the view from Dolman and enjoy the banter with the guys around me - it’s an age thing.........

We’d all like to see some thrilling football for a change at AG but under both Johnson’s that’s in short supply but I’ll carry on going to AG and have already renewed. Football on a Saturday is so ingrained in my lifestyle after 50+ years.

Shame a lot of the games are no longer on a Saturday though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The Dolman is still standing - that was never demolished - but apart from that I totally agree with you - I loved being in a 38,000 crowd at The Gate vs Liverpool - the old Ashton Gate was fantastic ...

The Dolman wasnt built or even started, at my first game:dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I go to games with my daughter who first went at 5 and she is 24 now.

She sits in her little South Stand seat and has a smile on her pretty face at fans comments, the chocolate she munches during the game despite the never-ending diet, my attempts at humour, how shit we are a lot of the time and when we finally score.

She shouts irrelevant things at the ref and players but understands the offside rule perfectly.

When I’m sat there watching her eyes sparkle with her lost in the clouds smile on her face - I ain’t thinking about the facilities, the atmosphere, the score, the performance or anything other than I hope she always wants to come to the Gate and sit with her Dad even when she’s moved out, married etc.

I will renew every year she still wants to go with me. Truly at the end of the game, once I get out if my immature pissy mood at how shit we were that day and how we are blowing it again, nothing else actually matters when it comes to city for me.

And yes - we have renewed.

  • Like 9
  • Robin 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

The Dolman wasnt built or even started, at my first game:dunno:

Apologies glos - I thought you meant before the latest redevelopment 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, glos old boy said:

We had far bigger crowds at the old Ashton Gate none of which is still standing, we also managed to get to the top division while playing in it. These million times better facilities how much profit from them goes to BCFC and how much to BSport? and what we need to get to the prem is a decent manager not a posh stadium.

The Accounts will reveal plenty.

Bristol City Holdings, Ashton Gate Limited, Bristol City FC- fill your boots!

The game was so different then, so many differences on and off the pitch, it's not even worth going there.

Agree that manager is highly important but in an age of FFP, the off the pitch revenue, this stuff is or can be quite important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, tunnie12345 said:

This is so true!! Mr Lansdown this is a football club not just a business. There are people that have genuine love for the club and I used to think you were one of them but it turns out as long as your bank balance is growing you really don't give a toss!  I actually despise modern football, quite happy being in the lower leagues where VAR doesn't run the games! 

Whether its good for business or not Bristol sport has drained everything I loved about the club out of it. Maybe its just too much this year, the change of badge, the development plans (which look great but again just reminds me of where this club is heading) the embarrassing anniversary shirts or the absolute embarrassing style of football being served up! Regardless of where we are in the league I have never felt more distance from the club as a fan! 

Mr Lansdown most certainly does not make money out of Bristol City Football club, so that is not an accusation you can level at him.  That's a frankly ridiculous comment!

17 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

I move fast forward to 2020 and am currently seeing division between us supporters, pro and anti Johnson City fans are driving this club apart. The need to bring this football club together has never been more important in recent years. We should all be getting behind the club in the run in for this season. Currently the opposite is happening.

This is purely down to living in the internet and social media age.  If this forum, Facebook, Twitter etc been around in the early 1980's do you think it would have been any less toxic and divisive?  Not anything to do with Bristol Sport or where this club is headed, and totally down to the age we're living in.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Meh said:

I go to games with my daughter who first went at 5 and she is 24 now.

She sits in her little South Stand seat and has a smile on her pretty face at fans comments, the chocolate she munches during the game despite the never-ending diet, my attempts at humour, how shit we are a lot of the time and when we finally score.

She shouts irrelevant things at the ref and players but understands the offside rule perfectly.

When I’m sat there watching her eyes sparkle with her lost in the clouds smile on her face - I ain’t thinking about the facilities, the atmosphere, the score, the performance or anything other than I hope she always wants to come to the Gate and sit with her Dad even when she’s moved out, married etc.

I will renew every year she still wants to go with me. Truly at the end of the game, once I get out if my immature pissy mood at how shit we were that day and how we are blowing it again, nothing else actually matters when it comes to city for me.

And yes - we have renewed.

This is where I am....though my little boy is only 7 and has only been going for 2 years.  Our own matchday experiences evolve, and mine is all about living it with my son and taking the highs and the lows as they come along.  That's part and parcel with supporting a less fashionable club.  We're not the best we've ever been, nor the best we will ever be again.....likewise we're neither the worst we've ever been or ever will be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Robbored said:

The club definitely mixed a trick but to point the finger at SL is simply ridiculous............jeez..........:sleeping:

I'm sure he's got enough clout to demand an atmospheric stadium and see it delivered. 

  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Think you're absolutely bang on with that view. Watching City on occasions these days is like watching paint dry. Excitement is at a Premium. Most of the OP's points could be written in a chapter called "modern football". Most grounds are the same....soulless. Even Anfield was quiet the other night til they went in front. Pompey and Leeds fans stand out because of the noise they create,....but travel to Watford, Bournemouth, Fulham etc, and it's much like AG. No real atmosphere. 

 

Ive sometimes wondered about the "singing section". It sometimes sounds desperate. It's as if they are keeping each other happy rather than cheering on the team. Sorry. It's just the way I see it...but there again, I saw the best of the EE in the 70;s in top flight. The Gate has occasionally rocked since, but mostly....errr no. Odd games like MUFC stand out, but the only differences since the Glory Days  are episodes under Coops,  under Danny Wilson, under Jordans leadership and then Cotts. Many years and little so show for it. The atmosphere generally reflects that. 

Not forgetting GJ. The atmosphere for some games was simply fantastic in the EE. 

IIRC, one game my ears were fizzing. Think it was the same game @Dollymarie was handing out ticker tape (or was it bog rolls)? 

Not to mention the playoffs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Not forgetting GJ. The atmosphere for some games was simply fantastic in the EE. 

IIRC, one game my ears were fizzing. Think it was the same game @Dollymarie was handing out ticker tape (or was it bog rolls)? 

Not to mention the playoffs. 

Was only in the East End under GJ once but I remember a game v Palace in 2008, not that game ie the playoff but the end of the year I do remember bog rolls being handed out.

Wish I'd got a season ticket in there- but yes the atmosphere under GJ was pretty good for a few years!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Not forgetting GJ. The atmosphere for some games was simply fantastic in the EE. 

IIRC, one game my ears were fizzing. Think it was the same game @Dollymarie was handing out ticker tape (or was it bog rolls)? 

Not to mention the playoffs. 

Ha! I remember that! Not such a big fan of the two days it took to clean up! 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, reddoh said:

that was all standing Have a go at Politicians not the club on capacity but we don't need a stadium as you have stated you don't go anymore.  

Doubt it was all standing as such, but behind each goal generally was- maybe bits at the side too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

This is purely down to living in the internet and social media age.  If this forum, Facebook, Twitter etc been around in the early 1980's do you think it would have been any less toxic and divisive?  Not anything to do with Bristol Sport or where this club is headed, and totally down to the age we're living in.  

I would have said 'no' to the early 80's question TBH Steve. The club was dying and the support was totally unified as we were just happy to still have a club to support. I don't know if you were around then but it was a proper 'pheonix' job as we went to school / work back then expecting City to be wound up by the time we all got home. I appreciate it was a very different time but the support was totally unified in those dark, dark days, looking for a miracle.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

"too complicated to move them now". 

So we agree the club has missed a trick?

SL never wanted a noisy stadium. He knew what it would take for that to happen but chose to ignore it. 

Might be noisy against Fulham with 3 sides singing that old favorite JOHNSON OUT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Doubt it was all standing as such, but behind each goal generally was- maybe bits at the side too?

where my father paid for the ticket was standing, there probably were seats but I never sat in one. fairly sure I have stood in all the stands and sat in all of them after the stadium was all seater(not at the same time my arse may be big butt not that big) 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I would have said 'no' to the early 80's question TBH Steve. The club was dying and the support was totally unified as we were just happy to still have a club to support. I don't know if you were around then but it was a proper 'pheonix' job as we went to school / work back then expecting City to be wound up by the time we all got home. I appreciate it was a very different time but the support was totally unified in those dark, dark days, looking for a miracle.

Was the support totally unified though?  I would argue that the unified support was down to the hardcore, as our attendances showed.  If the whole support base was unified then the attendances would have reflected that, but they didn't 50% came off the average attendance every season during our decline.  Therefore, like today, you'd have those who had given up on the club still chipping in with negativity like we have today.  After we were saved, a lot of the stayaways realised how lucky they were to still have a club and came back, but I think the final days were a wake up call.  The months/years leading up to that though....?     

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flippin 'eck guys.

Maybe I should cancel my Easyjet flights for the Stoke City game on 18th April. I should ask for a refund on my ticket which arrived here in Northern Ireland within 24 hours of ordering it.

Oh, wait a minute, I'm not coming to compare the architectural structures of the Gate to that of the 70s and 80s and, therefore, the new stadium will ruin my 'enjoyment'. I'm coming to get my fix on that stupid team that has cost me 1000s of £ since I followed them home and away from 1977 (hello Slarti)! 

I won't be renewing my season ticket yet again purely because I haven't got the money to fly to every game (hello SL)!

When I lived in Stoke for a few years, the cost of driving to Ashton Gate 23 times a season meant the season ticket was no longer an option but it didnt stop me from going to the occasional home game or about 10 away games.

Why? You can take the man away from the City of Bristol but you can't take Bristol City out of the man.

Thank you to Meh and Steve Watts for your posts. You brought realism back to this thread and another reason why we go to support the 11 players that are called Bristol City.

It's sad to read why the OP no longer wants to renew. Hopefully there will be a change of heart and there is nothing wrong with that. Your frustrations have been noted by quite a few but think on other reasons why it would still be good to renew like getting out of the house and being with friends/family. 

See you all on the 18th April.*

 

 

*subject to Sky.

Edited by Norn Iron
Flippin' autocorrect!
  • Robin 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Was the support totally unified though?  I would argue that the unified support was down to the hardcore, as our attendances showed.  If the whole support base was unified then the attendances would have reflected that, but they didn't 50% came off the average attendance every season during our decline.  Therefore, like today, you'd have those who had given up on the club still chipping in with negativity like we have today.  After we were saved, a lot of the stayaways realised how lucky they were to still have a club and came back, but I think the final days were a wake up call.  The months/years leading up to that though....?     

 

I was a youngster in those days Steve (I was 15 in 1982) so would have to rely on my seniors to properly answer this. My memory of those times are bill boards all over the place 'support Bristol city, now or never' and the stark reality of falling from the top table to the bottom one. As a kid, my perception was that the support were together but that may have been a 'rose tinted' opinion. I would appreciate the views of the likes of @glos old boy and @Bob Bob Super Bob and those who are slightly more senior than me, with all possible respect gentlemen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Came to the same conclusion after they put prices for children and disabled fans up a few years ago. The more people who see that Bristol Sport and Steve care not about fans, history or identity, but instead about results, both on the pitch and in the bank. 

 

Sad state our club is in when fans can't bring themselves to attend despite the club finishing higher every season since 13/14 and looking like finishing higher again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Was the support totally unified though?  I would argue that the unified support was down to the hardcore, as our attendances showed.  If the whole support base was unified then the attendances would have reflected that, but they didn't 50% came off the average attendance every season during our decline.  Therefore, like today, you'd have those who had given up on the club still chipping in with negativity like we have today.  After we were saved, a lot of the stayaways realised how lucky they were to still have a club and came back, but I think the final days were a wake up call.  The months/years leading up to that though....?     

 

Yes in general or very close to it.

At away games the numbers were so small that you could know or be acquainted with half the away support. 

The club was at such a low ebb that psychologically the support was different. We all were more valued because we had to be. Fans who still attended were different than those that had drained (it was more than 50%)  away because they still attended. There was a collective we are in this together mindset.

There is a difficulty here in that the contrast in then and now is so different the club could/should be viewed as a different entity. Fans owned BCFC then, it was dependant on its fans, fans saved the club and now that is fundamentally different.  In the recent past BCFC has gone through a massive reset.

The opening poster makes a valid point about that reset. More could have been to preserve the positive aspects of the past. Not everything Bristol Sport does is good or actually necessary for the clubs progress. Bristol Sport were indifferent at best to those in the East End/Eastend to the Williams to the Atyeo.

The singing section is lame and half arsed  v Bristol City's past. 

 

Edited by Cowshed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Came to the same conclusion after they put prices for children and disabled fans up a few years ago. The more people who see that Bristol Sport and Steve care not about fans, history or identity, but instead about results, both on the pitch and in the bank. 

 

Sad state our club is in when fans can't bring themselves to attend despite the club finishing higher every season since 13/14 and looking like finishing higher again.

I think what I am most gutted about is that my children will not have the same match day experience that I had growing up..  Why does it have to take a. Match against united to create a decent atmosphere anymore? 

No idea why this one sticks in my mind but I remember Marc mcammon scoring a header to put us 6 up against gillingham and we were celebrating that goal for a good 2 or 3 minutes and it wasn't even that important. Now last season I remember taking the lead against Cardiff, we scored gave a quick cheer and everyone was back sat down within 45 seconds of the ball hitting the net. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/02/2020 at 18:10, The Horse With No Name said:

Two things jump out at me. Firstly three teams will be relegated from the Prem this season. Having fans behind both goals wont have helped them, nor the three or four just above them.

And the singing section might be busy, but have you not noticed that they go silent, or even disappear downstairs as soon as we go a goal down.?

A singing section is no guarantee for success except in the minds of the deluded few "real fans" that like to sing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was a youngster in those days Steve (I was 15 in 1982) so would have to rely on my seniors to properly answer this. My memory of those times are bill boards all over the place 'support Bristol city, now or never' and the stark reality of falling from the top table to the bottom one. As a kid, my perception was that the support were together but that may have been a 'rose tinted' opinion. I would appreciate the views of the likes of @glos old boy and @Bob Bob Super Bob and those who are slightly more senior than me, with all possible respect gentlemen. 

You remember Mum going out on matchday in her DM's and tooled up Son ?  Bringing home an away fan as a souvenir,? Then cooking dinner ? Good old days they were.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was a youngster in those days Steve (I was 15 in 1982) so would have to rely on my seniors to properly answer this. My memory of those times are bill boards all over the place 'support Bristol city, now or never' and the stark reality of falling from the top table to the bottom one. As a kid, my perception was that the support were together but that may have been a 'rose tinted' opinion. I would appreciate the views of the likes of @glos old boy and @Bob Bob Super Bob and those who are slightly more senior than me, with all possible respect gentlemen. 

Us supporters that were left were most definitely together Ska, it's just that about 75% of City fans had jumped ship between relegation from div.1 to our first season in div.4, when our average was down to about 4.8k.

That season, and the div.3 relegation season the year before I can remember occasions being in a very sparsely filled EE when the situation was so hopeless fans were just chatting amongst themselves rather than actively watching the game. We still stood on the open area as you came into the EE and I could look across the EE and see just how empty it was in many places.

The point is we turned up anyway - we couldn't shake off the habit of watching City however poor the team was or however often we were humiliated, nor did we want to. Gluttons for punishment I suppose but our group had met up at the Nova or the Plume in the First Division days and just carried on meeting at the pub and watching every home game as City went through the divisions.

In fact I barely missed a home match in those 4 years, and went to a lot away games too - and didn't we half enjoy Chester!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, NickJ said:

Excuse me I’m an accountant but I’m ****** if I’d have anything to do with this.

The OP has nailed it. 

No offence meant Nick, I know you are, some of my best accountants were accountants. I'm certain that this club is run with finances first and foremost, to the detriment of football first decisions. Other factors around BS are to be expected in relation to getting VFM, especially the merchandising and food/drink outlets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/02/2020 at 19:57, glos old boy said:

We dont "have it" otherwise we would get all its revenue, we are now part of something else. Do we have any say at all on what goes on in this stadium "we now have"?

Did we before ? Who cares if it moves the club forward.

Edited by BigTone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an away fan I love it.

Thatchers on tap, a rubbish home atmosphere and an easy 3 points.

Bristol City used to have a bit of edge about them, now they’re viewed by many as another version of Reading.

All you need is a shitty drum to complete the picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SPAZZA said:

As an away fan I love it.

Thatchers on tap, a rubbish home atmosphere and an easy 3 points.

Bristol City used to have a bit of edge about them, now they’re viewed by many as another version of Reading.

All you need is a shitty drum to complete the picture.

Err, there's still a bit of edge IF for example fans sit in home ends as away fans and make themselves known. That isn't an issue that would go away- mind you that's the same at most grounds so.

There was a bit of bother on Saturday, there's a thread about it on here- but how serious it was is up for debate. Probably not that serious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/02/2020 at 06:57, Meh said:

I go to games with my daughter who first went at 5 and she is 24 now.

She sits in her little South Stand seat and has a smile on her pretty face at fans comments, the chocolate she munches during the game despite the never-ending diet, my attempts at humour, how shit we are a lot of the time and when we finally score.

She shouts irrelevant things at the ref and players but understands the offside rule perfectly.

When I’m sat there watching her eyes sparkle with her lost in the clouds smile on her face - I ain’t thinking about the facilities, the atmosphere, the score, the performance or anything other than I hope she always wants to come to the Gate and sit with her Dad even when she’s moved out, married etc.

I will renew every year she still wants to go with me. Truly at the end of the game, once I get out if my immature pissy mood at how shit we were that day and how we are blowing it again, nothing else actually matters when it comes to city for me.

And yes - we have renewed.

Exactly the same as us. We will renew. All 4 of them. 

And 2 of us will be at Millwall on Saturday as we were at Leeds. But **** me it’s not about the ******* footballing feast.

Its about making memories. So when I’m dead and buried and the kids are arguing about who gets the 76 Promotion Ale, the Williams turnstile or the framed 76 Umbro shirts they’ll remember it.

The good of beating Man Utd and taking City close. The bad of having suits **** is over and **** it up. And the old ****** who got them into following their - not Lansdown’s or anyone else’s - club. The same ****** who was told by them at every home game to sit down, calm down and stop abusing the goalkeeper.

See it’s not just about the football for us. Or the match day experience. Or the over priced food or beer or merchandise.

Oh no. It’s about dad and kids time. And memories. But for what it’s worth @matalan12 I’m more with you than the older goons who like their so called “progress” or red wine in the south west of France.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SPAZZA said:

As an away fan I love it.

Thatchers on tap, a rubbish home atmosphere and an easy 3 points.

Bristol City used to have a bit of edge about them, now they’re viewed by many as another version of Reading.

All you need is a shitty drum to complete the picture.

Ouch!

We'd best ransack Reading again, then, afore we completely disappear down the bland black hole of football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...