Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

An open letter to club - why I wont be renewing...

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was a youngster in those days Steve (I was 15 in 1982) so would have to rely on my seniors to properly answer this. My memory of those times are bill boards all over the place 'support Bristol city, now or never' and the stark reality of falling from the top table to the bottom one. As a kid, my perception was that the support were together but that may have been a 'rose tinted' opinion. I would appreciate the views of the likes of @glos old boy and @Bob Bob Super Bob and those who are slightly more senior than me, with all possible respect gentlemen. 

You remember Mum going out on matchday in her DM's and tooled up Son ?  Bringing home an away fan as a souvenir,? Then cooking dinner ? Good old days they were.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I was a youngster in those days Steve (I was 15 in 1982) so would have to rely on my seniors to properly answer this. My memory of those times are bill boards all over the place 'support Bristol city, now or never' and the stark reality of falling from the top table to the bottom one. As a kid, my perception was that the support were together but that may have been a 'rose tinted' opinion. I would appreciate the views of the likes of @glos old boy and @Bob Bob Super Bob and those who are slightly more senior than me, with all possible respect gentlemen. 

Us supporters that were left were most definitely together Ska, it's just that about 75% of City fans had jumped ship between relegation from div.1 to our first season in div.4, when our average was down to about 4.8k.

That season, and the div.3 relegation season the year before I can remember occasions being in a very sparsely filled EE when the situation was so hopeless fans were just chatting amongst themselves rather than actively watching the game. We still stood on the open area as you came into the EE and I could look across the EE and see just how empty it was in many places.

The point is we turned up anyway - we couldn't shake off the habit of watching City however poor the team was or however often we were humiliated, nor did we want to. Gluttons for punishment I suppose but our group had met up at the Nova or the Plume in the First Division days and just carried on meeting at the pub and watching every home game as City went through the divisions.

In fact I barely missed a home match in those 4 years, and went to a lot away games too - and didn't we half enjoy Chester!

• Like 2
21 hours ago, NickJ said:

Excuse me I’m an accountant but I’m ****** if I’d have anything to do with this.

The OP has nailed it. 

No offence meant Nick, I know you are, some of my best accountants were accountants. I'm certain that this club is run with finances first and foremost, to the detriment of football first decisions. Other factors around BS are to be expected in relation to getting VFM, especially the merchandising and food/drink outlets.

On 26/02/2020 at 19:57, glos old boy said:

We dont "have it" otherwise we would get all its revenue, we are now part of something else. Do we have any say at all on what goes on in this stadium "we now have"?

Did we before ? Who cares if it moves the club forward.

Edited by BigTone
14 hours ago, SPAZZA said:

As an away fan I love it.

Thatchers on tap, a rubbish home atmosphere and an easy 3 points.

Bristol City used to have a bit of edge about them, now they’re viewed by many as another version of Reading.

All you need is a shitty drum to complete the picture.

Err, there's still a bit of edge IF for example fans sit in home ends as away fans and make themselves known. That isn't an issue that would go away- mind you that's the same at most grounds so.

There was a bit of bother on Saturday, there's a thread about it on here- but how serious it was is up for debate. Probably not that serious.

On 27/02/2020 at 06:57, Meh said:

I go to games with my daughter who first went at 5 and she is 24 now.

She sits in her little South Stand seat and has a smile on her pretty face at fans comments, the chocolate she munches during the game despite the never-ending diet, my attempts at humour, how shit we are a lot of the time and when we finally score.

She shouts irrelevant things at the ref and players but understands the offside rule perfectly.

When I’m sat there watching her eyes sparkle with her lost in the clouds smile on her face - I ain’t thinking about the facilities, the atmosphere, the score, the performance or anything other than I hope she always wants to come to the Gate and sit with her Dad even when she’s moved out, married etc.

I will renew every year she still wants to go with me. Truly at the end of the game, once I get out if my immature pissy mood at how shit we were that day and how we are blowing it again, nothing else actually matters when it comes to city for me.

And yes - we have renewed.

Exactly the same as us. We will renew. All 4 of them. 

And 2 of us will be at Millwall on Saturday as we were at Leeds. But **** me it’s not about the ******* footballing feast.

Its about making memories. So when I’m dead and buried and the kids are arguing about who gets the 76 Promotion Ale, the Williams turnstile or the framed 76 Umbro shirts they’ll remember it.

The good of beating Man Utd and taking City close. The bad of having suits **** is over and **** it up. And the old ****** who got them into following their - not Lansdown’s or anyone else’s - club. The same ****** who was told by them at every home game to sit down, calm down and stop abusing the goalkeeper.

See it’s not just about the football for us. Or the match day experience. Or the over priced food or beer or merchandise.

Oh no. It’s about dad and kids time. And memories. But for what it’s worth @matalan12 I’m more with you than the older goons who like their so called “progress” or red wine in the south west of France.....

16 hours ago, SPAZZA said:

As an away fan I love it.

Thatchers on tap, a rubbish home atmosphere and an easy 3 points.

Bristol City used to have a bit of edge about them, now they’re viewed by many as another version of Reading.

All you need is a shitty drum to complete the picture.

Ouch!

We'd best ransack Reading again, then, afore we completely disappear down the bland black hole of football. 

47 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Exactly the same as us. We will renew. All 4 of them. 

And 2 of us will be at Millwall on Saturday as we were at Leeds. But **** me it’s not about the ******* footballing feast.

Its about making memories. So when I’m dead and buried and the kids are arguing about who gets the 76 Promotion Ale, the Williams turnstile or the framed 76 Umbro shirts they’ll remember it.

The good of beating Man Utd and taking City close. The bad of having suits **** is over and **** it up. And the old ****** who got them into following their - not Lansdown’s or anyone else’s - club. The same ****** who was told by them at every home game to sit down, calm down and stop abusing the goalkeeper.

See it’s not just about the football for us. Or the match day experience. Or the over priced food or beer or merchandise.

Oh no. It’s about dad and kids time. And memories. But for what it’s worth @matalan12 I’m more with you than the older goons who like their so called “progress” or red wine in the south west of France.....

I prefer a nice Chardonnay but still return whenever I can. The Heineken Lounge experience last Saturday was superb (except the football) along with my Godson.

Edited by BigTone
On 26/02/2020 at 20:16, J-mat said:

The singing section should be behind the goal. And it should be encouraged. But it isn't down to the club to manufacture atmosphere. That's on us. 

Then surely those who want to sing should buy tickets behind the goal and not in the corner. For what its worth at the WBA game I thought our fans in full song sounded great and certainly added to an otherwise flat atmosphere due no doubt to the dross being served up.

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Then surely those who want to sing should buy tickets behind the goal and not in the corner. For what its worth at the WBA game I thought our fans in full song sounded great and certainly added to an otherwise flat atmosphere due no doubt to the dross being served up.

Yeah it's a fine balance. The club should facilitate but not dictate. I don't know the answer. I just look back at some of the amazing things that went on in the EastEnd and I wonder where those people are now? They used to be vocal and involved and inspiring. 

Like I say, I don't have the answers. I just know that we as a fanbase have to find them as much as blaming the club for progressing it's facilities. 

13 minutes ago, J-mat said:

Yeah it's a fine balance. The club should facilitate but not dictate. I don't know the answer. I just look back at some of the amazing things that went on in the EastEnd and I wonder where those people are now? They used to be vocal and involved and inspiring. 

Like I say, I don't have the answers. I just know that we as a fanbase have to find them as much as blaming the club for progressing it's facilities. 

The East End was great as was the Open End (or West End as we called it) back in the day but most of us are now at pension age, retired or semi retired and prefer the comforts of life (eg: plonk in France). The stadium has progressed as it needed to and is a credit to the club. Doesn't stop me have great memories of the past. Wasn't it circa 34,000 of us fans crammed into AG against Liverpool one night ? What was the score ? Who cared !!!

Edited by BigTone
2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

The East End was great as was the Open End (or West End as we called it) back in the day but most of us are now at pension age, retired or semi retired and prefer the comforts of life (eg: plonk in France). The stadium has progressed as it needed to and is a credit to the club. Doesn't stop me have great memories of the past. Wasn't it circa 34,000 of us fans crammed into AG against Liverpool one night ? What was the score ? Who cared !!!

I totally agree, 

But the next lot need to come in and replace the old guard. 

As it was then, with the codgers chilling in the relative comfort of the Williams Stand 

29 minutes ago, J-mat said:

I totally agree, 

But the next lot need to come in and replace the old guard. 

As it was then, with the codgers chilling in the relative comfort of the Williams Stand 

Agree with you J but football has morphed into a fairly stagnant and clinical state these days. No one will come in and replace what we know and appreciate as the old guard. There was a time when I would watch every England game like my life depended on it. These days I really don't give a shite. Football itself has become a non contact sport for pussies rather than a game of crunching tackles and commitment. That then carries over to the way the fans react. We have pristine pitches etc now but nothing was better than watching a game that was played in a mud bath. We have players that hit the deck like they have been shot by a sniper but I don't recall the Gows, Hunters etc of the world doing the same.

I will follow BCFC until I draw my last breath but that doesn't mean I like the way football in general has progressed.

In saying all that, aged 60 with 2 dodgy knees I am now in the situation where I prefer to sit in some comfort (with a drink if possible) to help soften the pain of what we now watch in the same way as the Codgers of the past in the Williams.........progress its called

Edited by BigTone
4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Agree with you J but football has morphed into a fairly stagnant and clinical state these days. No one will come in and replace what we know and appreciate as the old guard. There was a time when I would watch every England game like my life depended on it. These days I really don't give a shite. Football itself has become a non contact sport for pussies rather than a game of crunching tackles and commitment. That then carries over to the way the fans react. We have pristine pitches etc now but nothing was better than watching a game that was played in a mud bath. We have players that hit the deck like they have been shot by a sniper but I don't recall the Gows, Hunters etc of the world doing the same.

I will follow BCFC until I draw my last breath but that doesn't mean I like the way football in general has progressed.

Condensed version... Football used to be great, now it's shit.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Agree with you J but football has morphed into a fairly stagnant and clinical state these days. No one will come in and replace what we know and appreciate as the old guard. There was a time when I would watch every England game like my life depended on it. These days I really don't give a shite. Football itself has become a non contact sport for pussies rather than a game of crunching tackles and commitment. That then carries over to the way the fans react. We have pristine pitches etc now but nothing was better than watching a game that was played in a mud bath. 

You sound like you need to do what I have done. I’ve given up on the pro game, some of it for the reasons you mention above.

I now watch Western League, County league football, it’s far....far more entertaining, more thrills, more passion, and not the sanitised crap that Ashton Gate has given me over the last 2-3 years.

I’ve totally fallen out of love with top level football, it’s not the game I once did fall in love with.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BigTone said:

I prefer a nice Chardonnay but still return whenever I can. The Heineken Lounge experience last Saturday was superb (except the football) along with my Godson.

Chardonnay? Christ man you’re in Bordeaux and you’re drinking Chardonnay?!

Enjoy whatever takes your fancy! Me and the boy will raise a glass to you in London tomorrow! If we’re allowed keep an eye out for our flag. On whatever highlights we can muster..... 😃

13 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Chardonnay? Christ man you’re in Bordeaux and you’re drinking Chardonnay?!

Enjoy whatever takes your fancy! Me and the boy will raise a glass to you in London tomorrow! If we’re allowed keep an eye out for our flag. On whatever highlights we can muster..... 😃

I'm an hour and a half north of Bordeaux to be precise. Much prefer white as red makes me cranky if I'm honest. Cheers chaps!!

The atmosphere at AG is a massive problem. Sitting in E33 , old dolman block b, the away fans almost always out sing us and generate far more noise from the atyeo than can be heard from any part of the home ground. Fed up with hearing the 'is this a library' , 'we'll sing on our own ', 'your support is f-ing shit' every single week. To be fair on most occasions they are correct. We've turned into this soulless stadium with the majority happy to sit in silence waiting to be entertained. Gone are the days when the singing was throughout the game. Regularly, you can hear a pin drop and the shouts of the players are heard over the silence of the home support. The singing section do their best to stir the crowd but from where I sit it's often drowned out by the away support which may be due to the acoustics of the atyeo. Having said all of that I do understand that the dross we are being served up recently on the pitch doesn't really encourage fans to sing.

5 hours ago, BigTone said:

The one game I really remember best was the chelsea game Beasant in goal 3-1 f in dissed pown couldn't move cus we were rammed in open end rain running down my back (now waiting for better memories to shoot me down on that bright sunny day).