Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
slartibartfast

Still 7th

This league is just mental - yet again, the results have gone our way! When will the players start taking the most of these opportunities?

We’ve never had a better chance of Top 6 finish - it’s there for you boys....how much do you want it??

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely crucial weekend coming up. The two teams just below us are playing each other. We are playing the team just below them. The team just below them is playing one of the two teams just above us. And the other team just above us is playing another team above us. Easy!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, eardun said:

Absolutely crucial weekend coming up. The two teams just below us are playing each other. We are playing the team just below them. The team just below them is playing one of the two teams just above us. And the other team just above us is playing another team above us. Easy!

If there's one thing this club doesn't do, it's golden opportunities...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

This league is just mental - yet again, the results have gone our way! When will the players start taking the most of these opportunities?

We’ve never had a better chance of Top 6 finish - it’s there for you boys....how much do you want it??

Not bad for a manager that the majority of fans want to see sacked...

......plus his Dad managed a top six finish.

16 minutes ago, eardun said:

Alles klar  !

I don't think 75 points will be required this season for 6th. 

That would require 2 points per game from us which is most definitely not happening!

I also don't foresee Preston bagging 19 points from 11 games, although they might come close.

Let's say Preston accrue 1.5 ppg in their next 10 matches, which is a fraction under their season rate so far. That's a total of 71 points with their final game at Ashton Gate.

So, given our goal difference is likely to be inferior, we need a minimum of 16 points from our next 10 games. 

5 wins and a draw? THEN beat Preston!

Winning 5/6 of our last 11 games seems unlikely in this current slump so something big is needed very soon.

Otherwise, we need Preston or Brentford to completely crumble, whilst the four teams below us fail to catch us.

The truth is nearly everyone is sh*t this season so us being sh*t doesn’t really make any difference!  Everyone thinks Brentford are amazing and all the rest of it, but they can’t be that much cop if they are only 3 points ahead of our shower!  It’s all to play for, we won’t suddenly play like Barcelona, but we don’t need to, we just need to do less sh*t than one team above us!  COYR!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

:clap:Just prolonging the agony, seems no one else wants to go up !

Posters on another thread were citing Brentford as a club with identity etc etc that we should emulate. They fecked up as well it seems.

• Like 1

If we can somehow remove our collective heads from our asses In time for the Sheff Wed game,  then the last 7/8 fixtures of the season are all winnable with a trade mark LJ streaky run.

Not many clubs in this division can say they have the kind of form that deserves promotion - will see who wants it.

I think the comparison to Brentford does not hold water,

- Crowds

- Wages

- budget

If we are underperforming they are over performing as are Preston, Blackburn And Millwall.

1 minute ago, NewquayRed said:

If we can somehow remove our collective heads from our asses In time for the Sheff Wed game,  then the last 7/8 fixtures of the season are all winnable with a trade mark LJ streaky run.

Not many clubs in this division can say they have the kind of form that deserves promotion - will see who wants it.

WANT IT - is the key.

Do the players, do the coaches......not sure.

#toocosy

50 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I blame Brexit

I blame it on the boogie.

• Like 1

funny thing is,we are 16 points behind west brom who are top and 16 points above wigan third bottom so bar a few plus and minus points,we are pretty much in the middle

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Maybe. It seems like it doesn’t it!?

58 minutes ago, Ryan_BCFC said:

Crazy crazy league, proper tight at the bottom too, 11 games to play and all to play for.

Yes. But we have forgotten how to play. However we will have huge support on Saturday despite what some ******* on this place will tell you about supporters not supporting. 

57 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I blame Brexit

I blame LJ. But brexit works too

24 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Posters on another thread were citing Brentford as a club with identity etc etc that we should emulate. They fecked up as well it seems.

Brentford do what we do but better. We could have picked up the boy from Exeter for a fraction of what they did particularly compared to what we paid for sick notes. SL must be seriously pissed off about that too. They are a nonsense club who compete with Fulham Chelsea QPR within a couple of miles and the entirety of London within 15 as the crow flies. Big up to them. We pay massive amounts for recruiting and a club that struggles to get half the gates we do makes us look like Monkeys. And what do we read. Ohhhh but being in London gives them an advantage. Pleeeease **** off!!!

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

I think the comparison to Brentford does not hold water,

- Crowds

- Wages

- budget

If we are underperforming they are over performing as are Preston, Blackburn And Millwall.

If we similar to Brentford on the pitch then I’d probably be pretty happy. Even in 7th if we were playing attacking football I’d be pro LJ. I know someone will say it is our defence that has let us down and that is true too. Difference is Brentford can demoralise a side with their press and their play. Does that defender gamble for an interception knowing if he loses it is a goal? Does that midfielder play the riskier pass knowing if it doesn’t come off they have to defend another wave of pressure? I don’t think we do our defence any favours

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Maybe. It seems like it doesn’t it!?

Yes. But we have forgotten how to play. However we will have huge support on Saturday despite what some ******* on this place will tell you about supporters not supporting. 

I blame LJ. But brexit works too

Brentford do what we do but better. We could have picked up the boy from Exeter for a fraction of what they did particularly compared to what we paid for sick notes. SL must be seriously poses off about that too. They are a nonsense club who compete with Fulham Chelsea QPR within a couple of miles and the entirety of London within 15 as the crow flies. Big up to them. We pay massive amounts for recruiting and a club that struggles to get half the gates we do makes us look like Monkeys. And what do we read. Ohhhh but being in London gives them an advantage. Pleeeease **** off!!!

They do it better by 3 points that's all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

They do it better by 3 points that's all.

They do it better on a fraction of the income and with out one of the richest men in the world Tone. That’s all

whats it like in Western France right now. I fancy a Bordeaux!!

42 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

They do it better on a fraction of the income and with out one of the richest men in the world Tone. That’s all

By that rationale we are doing amazing compared to Stoke!

27 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

By that rationale we are doing amazing compared to Stoke!

And your point is......answers on a post card to Mr S Lansdown C/O Ashton Gate Bristol. 

He would really like to know why his millions upon millions spent on a ground and players is not returning a team that compete with Brentford and what they are doing that’s better than us. Stoke ducked themselves that’s why they are near the bottom!!

Stoke are a basket case that no one wants to be compared to, except you, particularly after we stole their best player....that is why he wants to stay here

Edited by REDOXO
  • Haha 1

The championship is just so 'random' this season, if we'd won the last 3 we'd be joint second with Leeds on 62 points and only 4 behind West Brom.

If we lose on Saturday, we will be below Milwall who are currently 10th.

Mind you, take a look at the National League - Notts County in the last play off place are 11 points above Chesterfield in the last relegation place. So if County were to lost their next 4 and Chesterfield were to win their next 4, Chesterfield would overtake them!

Were we spoilt a couple of years ago when we gave the best side in Europe a bloody nose?

Maybe that's the problem and we expect too much?

It's garbage at the moment though.

The results are really going our way, still in the game for top six. We only have to start playing football, he he. The holidays are over, we been crap the last 3 games, Hudds away never forget. We only have to start winning games then it will be ok. How that is going to happen I dont know when I think of the last 3 games. We are bad but still in the fight.

6 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

This league is just mental - yet again, the results have gone our way! When will the players start taking the most of these opportunities? when they have a good manager

We’ve never had a better chance of Top 6 finish - it’s there for you boys....how much do you want it?? not at all going by recent non-efforts

Let's also not forget that we've won just TWO matches against sides currently in the top half (Fulham and Cardiff) all season...

...AND we've dropped points against six of the bottom seven sides (Luton, Barnsley, Wigan, Boro, Charlton & Huddersfield).

But the last time we had a bad run, people were saying the same stuff about standard of football and creating chances, before we went on a good run. 

So your guess is as good as mine.

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

We're like a dieing animal that just keeps holding on

9 hours ago, downendcity said:

I blame it on the boogie.

That alright,but don’t forget, never ever blame it on the sunshine ☀️ 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

We're like a dieing animal that just keeps holding on

At the moment we are like that Harry Enfield character,on his death bed,taking his terminal breath,when suddenly sits up and starts talking to his family😄

9 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Its pleasant in front of the wood burner with a glass. Just getting over knee surgery so had to buy wine in a box to save keep getting up !!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

And your point is......answers on a post card to Mr S Lansdown C/O Ashton Gate Bristol. 

He would really like to know why his millions upon millions spent on a ground and players is not returning a team that compete with Brentford and what they are doing that’s better than us. Stoke ducked themselves that’s why they are near the bottom!!

Stoke are a basket case that no one wants to be compared to, except you, particularly after we stole their best player....that is why he wants to stay here

Not competing with Brentford??? Last I checked they were 3 points ahead of us, even though we are sh*t, in anyone’s book that’s competing 

• Like 1

Find myself a bit blinkered by the play-off ambition.

It really ought to be achievable, as we’ve been in and around pretty much all season. But once we’re there, I just don’t fancy our chances over 2 legs against anyone at the moment. Particularly after Tuesday night, LJ doesn’t sound like he’s got the energy right now to lead his team into a do-or-die battle. 

Millwall for me will be decisive. Not for our points tally but to gauge the reaction from both LJ and the players. It’ll go one of two ways. Here’s hoping for a real blood and guts response to make amends, and not just another damp squib and mid table mediocrity. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

We won’t make the top 10 unless a massive uplift in performance happens and I just don’t see it under mr teflon 

10 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

...please please- let's get a couple more 'non wins under our belts,,with plenty of box entries to keep streaky Lee happy - then I'll be happy! 😉

Tenth or lower & I'd like to be a fly in the wall at "that" coffee morning.

Edited by Robert the bruce

20 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Find myself a bit blinkered by the play-off ambition.

It really ought to be achievable, as we’ve been in and around pretty much all season. But once we’re there, I just don’t fancy our chances over 2 legs against anyone at the moment. Particularly after Tuesday night, LJ doesn’t sound like he’s got the energy right now to lead his team into a do-or-die battle. 

Millwall for me will be decisive. Not for our points tally but to gauge the reaction from both LJ and the players. It’ll go one of two ways. Here’s hoping for a real blood and guts response to make amends, and not just another damp squib and mid table mediocrity. 

I doubt there is many who actually believe, deep down we will make the play offs. 

That first half on Tuesday took shitness to a whole new level. And we've had to put up with a hell of alot of it this season. 

People saying we are only three points of Brentford are just clinging on to a little hope. If we played anything like they did we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

4 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

I doubt there is many who actually believe, deep down we will make the play offs. 

That first half on Tuesday took shitness to a whole new level. And we've had to put up with a hell of alot of it this season. 

People saying we are only three points of Brentford are just clinging on to a little hope. If we played anything like they did we wouldn't be having this discussion right now.

If Brentford played anything like people believe they play then they would (and should) be way more than 3 points ahead of us surely?  Either they aren’t that great, or we are better than we think, you can’t have it both ways.

The facts are that we are sh*t but out of nowhere we can win 4 on the bounce, like we did less than 2 weeks ago unless everyone’s forgotten?

4 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Not sure if it’s that , Grim

Or more that fans are starting to think  ‘what’s the point of even hoping for the play offs, we arnt good enough to make it a enticing proposition ‘

Add to the reality that as we head into the real business end of the season , let’s be honest ,  we are in a mess with no playing plan , and few players of trusted status , no consistency in formation or selection , it doesn’t look promising 

The only positive you could suggest (For those desperately hoping for top 6) is If we did now make it we would be heading in to them with some reasonable / decent form , as despite other sides similarly choking , we are increasingly needing some decent form & points return to make it

6 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

If Brentford played anything like people believe they play then they would (and should) be way more than 3 points ahead of us surely?  Either they aren’t that great, or we are better than we think, you can’t have it both ways.

The facts are that we are sh*t but out of nowhere we can win 4 on the bounce, like we did less than 2 weeks ago unless everyone’s forgotten?

They are better than us as a side with some match winners ,   But

My slight fear for them (Though they may miss top two but will be top six) is , like us to some degree , they may lack the leaders and characters for some games as the intensity of the scrap in most games intensifies as the season closes and sides fight for their safety / promotion / etc etc 

At this stage of the season certain sides who can also scrap out results tend to benefit and achieve

At times we’ve done that but when it comes to crunch games City rarely ever or ever have come out on top

Brentford drop silly points and can have a flaky day , when they miss those leaders - will be interesting to see if it hurts them ultimately 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Just a reminder, the 4 wins on the bounce were against teams in the bottom half of the table. Our next 6 games are against teams in the top half with similar or better records than us.

28 minutes ago, mozo said:

Just a reminder, the 4 wins on the bounce were against teams in the bottom half of the table. Our next 6 games are against teams in the top half with similar or better records than us.

Agreed but 2 of those wins- Wigan and Barnsley- were vs sides whose results have picked up quite drastically or at least notably in recent times.

A surprise for me is that Blackburn- despite Dack being out for half a season, Holtby out from sometime in January for the rest of the season, Cunningham having a season ending injury in early October, and one or two others seemingly in rotating injuries being in there...then again Holtby as backup to Dack is good depth but both are out- interesting to see if they can maintain it given the aforementioned long term injuries- think Williams been injured for a while too, Corry Evans long term!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Next game it'll be "we're still close to the play offs", then the game after that it'll be "we're still in with a chance"... unless we improve the football 7th is a massive over achievement. 

17 minutes ago, Spike said:

Next game it'll be "we're still close to the play offs", then the game after that it'll be "we're still in with a chance"... unless we improve the football 7th is a massive over achievement. 

Which is what we all wanted at the start of the season, wasn't it?