IGNORED

Bravo McGregor and Piercy - Post analysis

Major Isewater

20 hours ago, Kykoliko said:

Adding additional firepower from one of the Championship most in-form marksmen showed the club meant business, could lighten the load and pressure on Diedhiou and Andi Weimann and give City an additional threat following Benik Afobe's unfortunate issue.

What a curious turn of phrase; I wonder what he is referring to - his injury (unfortunate granted but hardly an issue) or the death of his daughter (a family tragedy and if so describing it as an unfortunate issue is frankly appalling) 

However. It does nail a lot of what has been talked about for several years and fair play for so doing. 

The big stand out comments for me in that article is we have so far had captains so far this season. We need a Jon Terry / Shawn Taylor type captain, who is not afraid to  go up to his team mates get them my the throat and tell them what he wants from them.So who in our present team could play that role?

14 hours ago, spudski said:

I personally don't think it's as simple as that. He's signed and developed very good players, that have then been sold on. If we'd been able to keep them, we'd, imo, been in a stronger position.

We've recruited weakly in replacing them.

Look at all the established Clubs in this division...the Boro, Derby, Readings etc...full of strong players that are between Championship and lower Prem level. We've slowly crept into that position. Something I've worried about for a while. We've fallen into the trap of signing those types of players that are in between the two leagues. Those players know their level...they aren't going to die trying to get to the Prem. They are content going through the motions collecting a very, very good wage.

When I see the likes of Kalas flaunting his wealth, missus, trainers, car etc...I despair. Happy to play and take, but no way are they going to run through brick walls to get to the higher level....they know their limits. I'd say a good majority of our side fall into that category now. And you end up into mid table obscurity.

The reasoning...young hungry talented but inexperienced players aren't going to get you over the line. Answer...sign those that are. Result...like any other team in this league that's done the same.

We've made a massive error imo.

We've now become like any other team...and you can go through managers and players...it's not going to make the slightest difference imo.

Welcome to becoming the next QPR etc

Interesting point and food for thought. Thanks for posting.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Good post @spudski.  Slightly different point, but you sparked it.

Have we reached our peak and are about to go downwards.  The expectation, desire is that the play-offs are our destiny, continued progress, etc etc.

But I see signs of a squad being built that is gonna financially drain us, like SOD was left with and we are back to 12/13 and early 13/14 again.  The good players moved on for good money, until there are none left, and a squad left of high earners, with little motivation, and certainly little sell-on value.

If our coaching is good enough, perhaps we should’ve been able to continue taking the best young players with the motivation to succeed, just adjust the level of young player as we progressed.  Far too simplistic (and probably over-egged) I know, but I fear LJ could leave us in a big mess.  It’s a bit out of control.  Need to rebaseline in the summer before it goes too far.

Been worried about this for a while - how many players on £20K+ a week can we actually sustain?

Obviously not privy to exact details but my gut reaction would be - not many. Yet the direction of travel, in terms of recruitment, seems to be to add more and more big (for us) wage earners.

I've got pelters for it before but I'll say it again - if I was Lansdown I'd be tempted to turn the taps off and tell Johnson to get on with it.       

1 hour ago, Roadrunner said:

The big stand out comments for me in that article is we have so far had captains so far this season. We need a Jon Terry / Shawn Taylor type captain, who is not afraid to  go up to his team mates get them my the throat and tell them what he wants from them.So who in our present team could play that role?

Very good point. We do not seem to have that guy.  I had hoped that Kalas would be but with injuries and lack games.  Perhaps Korey but his game time is now restricted. 

On 27/02/2020 at 10:41, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed- though I don't think the trading that bad- not saying it's exceptional either but I don't think it's that bad.

Too much churn in general though, absolutely- thought so for 2 years. Some of it is fairly unavoidable but the trading levels seem much too much.

The trading level is high but we have to be realistic.

Firstly, it is the stated policy of the club, buy/ develop - increase their value, then sell.

Secondly, it is incredibly difficult to hold on to a player when a PL club comes in even if your policy was not the above. When a player is being offered multiple increases in wages and a chance to play at a higher level not many are going to refuse that opportunity. 

The answer is to get promoted but that is all the more difficult when you trade at our level.

55 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

The trading level is high but we have to be realistic.

Firstly, it is the stated policy of the club, buy/ develop - increase their value, then sell.

Secondly, it is incredibly difficult to hold on to a player when a PL club comes in even if your policy was not the above. When a player is being offered multiple increases in wages and a chance to play at a higher level not many are going to refuse that opportunity. 

The answer is to get promoted but that is all the more difficult when you trade at our level.

Oh I mean in terms of the quality- I don't think it's that bad or exceptional- but not that bad, perhaps decent even. Taken as a whole or out of 10- we're not a Brentford but we have traded at a profit and signed some quite good players. Whether LJ can get the best out of them is entirely a different debate...

The churn really does feel a bit too much but maybe it's just the modern game- as you say when PL clubs come in it's so hard to hold on.

Archived