IGNORED

Full back(?) marking.

mossey

Hi,

This has been mentioned and talked about at our home games, by quite a few fans sitting around me, but why are our fullbacks or defenders always standing so far away from the wide player?
Just seen the highlights from the Huddersfield game, and I feel first goal came about because of this, guy out wide had time to receive, control the ball, cut inside, and have a shot, this is not the first time this has happened. What ever happened to getting close to a player, marking tight, and not giving the player enough space to be able to run at defence, is this all down to the way they are now coached?

2 minutes ago, mossey said:

Hi,

This has been mentioned and talked about at our home games, by quite a few fans sitting around me, but why are our fullbacks or defenders always standing so far away from the wide player?
Just seen the highlights from the Huddersfield game, and I feel first goal came about because of this, guy out wide had time to receive, control the ball, cut inside, and have a shot, this is not the first time this has happened. What ever happened to getting close to a player, marking tight, and not giving the player enough space to be able to run at defence, is this all down to the way they are now coached?

It’s a team plan / coach instruction mossey 

Narrrow back 4 out of possession

The theory is    ‘if they get space wide and get crosses in , we can deal with that ‘

29 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

It’s a team plan / coach instruction mossey 

Narrrow back 4 out of possession

The theory is    ‘if they get space wide and get crosses in , we can deal with that ‘

Which is bizarre, because against Derby we were cruising and 2 goals came from us not being able to deal with it. 

It's been like this ever since LJ took over. I guess his coaching team think this is the best tactic. I remember 3 seasons ago watching us sit narrow and allow cross after cross to come in. Meanwhile getting shut down at the other end and struggling to get a cross in ourselves. It struck me as odd then but I've got used to it being our 'identity' now. 

I hate this part of his tactics, it works for some teams but they employ full backs with a lot of pace and very high fitness levels so that they can close down the space when needed. The goal yesterday just proved that our full backs are not suited to this role. 

The other thing that winds me up is our passing it around at the back until it goes back to Bentley or one of our CB's who then have to lump it because they're under so much pressure. We can't keep doing that as it means the opposition get the ball back and pass it about which in turn makes our lads have to work harder. Essentially we're our own biggest enemy, we chase the ball so much that we get tired both physically and mentally as defending for the majority of the match is highly stressful. Teams who dominate games do so by wearing the other team down, not by scoring a goal or two and then trying to soak up the pressure. 

All full backs come inside close to their centre backs and leave gaps on the wings, if that's what the op means.

People near me used to shout at Joe Bryan and Mark Little for it. When in fact the positioning was spot on.

A full back does not go all the way over to the winger to mark them.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

All full backs come inside close to their centre backs and leave gaps on the wings, if that's what the op means.

People near me used to shout at Joe Bryan and Mark Little for it. When in fact the positioning was spot on.

Spot on, you don’t get tight to a wide man, simply because this opens you up for the ball to be played inside of you.

But, Dasilva in particular is awful at stopping crosses from coming in, he doesn’t get tight in situations where he should be and can be, I’ve never seen a full back be less interested in stopping a cross coming in than him. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

You are correct, but what full backs do is not back off until they are basically in the 6 yard box and then allow the cross. Which is what our full backs do. 

Like you say most teams do not close the winger tight when they are out wide, and allow the cross as frankly crosses from wide are a very inneficient way to create chances and thus goals. 

However what they do not do is back off constantly and allow the winger to run at them, it doesn't matter how good you are as a full back once your winger is running at you and in the box you have massive problems, ala Derby's 2nd goal which was awful defending from Hunt who allowed Tom Lawrence to run at him and just backed off and off until he had a simple 4/5 yard pass to the striker in the middle. 

Seems an odd approach to me given that once they're in the box it's much harder to challenge without giving away a pen than it used to be and that nowadays most teams have at least one sitting midfielder who can help if a full back goes to challenge a wide player.  I know crosses aren't generally that dangerous but I'd want them challenged outside the box.

Archived