IGNORED

Kevin Keegan at Ashton Gate

Kid in the Riot

27 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Yes he played but I've never heard of any association with us.

So Keegan continues to raise monies for 'vulnerable children' and, in certain quarters, Fourth Estate eyebrows. 

Had £25k lined-up to purchase him!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/story-how-bristol-city-nearly-1233723

52 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Tonight, for this event: http://www.dailypropertynews.co.uk/homes/bristol-housebuilders-support-vulnerable-children-in-major-fundraiser/

Apparently he was close to signing for City in 1971 from Scunthorpe? Scouted by Tony Collins.

Did he ever play at Ashton Gate? 

He played against us in the cup run 74/75, I think Phil Boersma was up front with him. I think he must have played against us in a couple of league game before he went Hamburg, he seemed to be ever present for them. 

52 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Interesting report save I think there's an element of 'fisherman's tale', doubtless expanded upon over the years. I've no doubt TC was at the match and may have spotted Keegan's talent (he did so with others with great success, if not for us,) but Keegan's signing is well documented in a number of biographies and studies of Liverpool's 'Red Management', including the excellent account (bites his lip) of the 'Wedding Dodger's' old man who truly was a giant amongst scouts.

TC's match, the books show, was 8 months prior to Keegan signing for Liverpool and Andy Beattie who recommended him to Twentystone's old man and eventually Paisley (ast mgr) had been tracking him for 18 months, amazed that nobody else was showing any interest. In Keegan's own biog he recounts how during this period given he was playing well but attracting zero interest he nearly packed in the game when offered extra hours at his 'other job' in the steelworks. It was only toward the end of the 70/71 season that Twentystone's old man and Paisley took an upfront look (itself triggering a number of other NW scouts to cotton-on to who they were tracking.) The deal itself was done very quickly, within hours of an offer being made as Shankley (with his inside contacts at Preston who held him in godlike status,) had discovered they were about to pounce and nick him from under their noses. His biog has tale of how, like Clough, Keegan was taken on a 'long car journey' and 'held' until he signed (£33k). Keegan's biog relates how, nervously, he exploited his 'kidnapping' by extracting an extra tenner a week given they were clearly so desperate to sign him. He chanced his arm and was amazed they coughed up. He questioned what might have happened had they said no and he'd taken Preston's alternate offer.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Tonight, for this event: http://www.dailypropertynews.co.uk/homes/bristol-housebuilders-support-vulnerable-children-in-major-fundraiser/

Apparently he was close to signing for City in 1971 from Scunthorpe? Scouted by Tony Collins.

Played against in 6th round of FA Cup in '74.yhry beat us 1-0 with Toshack getting the winner. 37,000 in attendance, I think 30,000 of them were in the EE!!!! 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Once again, ‘ always the bridesmaid ‘ . 

We nearly signed Trevor Francis amongst others .

I thought, Major, we did have him for brief 'trial' as a youth only to discard him and a bunch of others when cost cutting measures stripped back that programme.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm sure when I talked to Sweeny about the best players he played against Keegan was one of them, he also mentioned that he bared a grudge on the pitch and would leave his mark

40 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

He was up front in the famous cup game , after we beat the mighty Leeds, was it 73? John Toshack scored the winner.

Yes he was, Toshack scored in front of the East End, I think KK got the assist (did the use of the term "assist" exist back then).  It was the QF of the FA Cup in 1974, funnily enough he played for Liverpool against us at AG a few months later in the early part of the 1974/5 season in the League Cup, which was a 0-0 draw (Liverpool won the replay 4-0 at Anfield).  He didn't play against us at AG in the League at AG as, in our last home game of the 1976/7 season when we beat Liverpool 2-1 (just a few days before the Coventry 2-2 away), he was "injured" as Liverpool were chasing the treble, having just won Division One, although he recovered in time to play in the FA Cup Final (which they lost) and European Cup Final (which they won).  He had played against us in the league at Anfield earlier in the season (we lost 2-1).

After the 1976/7 season he moved to Hamburg and was replaced by Kenny Dalglish, who IIRC correctly played against us many times in the top flight.

32 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Got a feeling he played for England U23's at AG in 70 ish ?

I am pretty sure he did and I was there. Without delving into the archives, I am sure it was against East Germany, or to give the more formal name, the German Democratic Republic.  I also seem to remember Mick Channon and Malcolm MacDonald playing for England that night, also the GDR won 1-0 and gave our U23s a bit of a lesson with their technical ability.

25 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Yes he was, Toshack scored in front of the East End, I think KK got the assist (did the use of the term "assist" exist back then).  It was the QF of the FA Cup in 1974, funnily enough he played for Liverpool against us at AG a few months later in the early part of the 1974/5 season in the League Cup, which was a 0-0 draw (Liverpool won the replay 4-0 at Anfield).  He didn't play against us at AG in the League at AG as, in our last home game of the 1976/7 season when we beat Liverpool 2-1 (just a few days before the Coventry 2-2 away), he was "injured" as Liverpool were chasing the treble, having just won Division One, although he recovered in time to play in the FA Cup Final (which they lost) and European Cup Final (which they won).  He had played against us in the league at Anfield earlier in the season (we lost 2-1).

After the 1976/7 season he moved to Hamburg and was replaced by Kenny Dalglish, who IIRC correctly played against us many times in the top flight.

I am pretty sure he did and I was there. Without delving into the archives, I am sure it was against East Germany, or to give the more formal name, the German Democratic Republic.  I also seem to remember Mick Channon and Malcolm MacDonald playing for England that night, also the GDR won 1-0 and gave our U23s a bit of a lesson with their technical ability.

The term"assist" nowadays would have been "set up by" in old money........ Same thing though........ 

56 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Interesting report save I think there's an element of 'fisherman's tale', doubtless expanded upon over the years. I've no doubt TC was at the match and may have spotted Keegan's talent (he did so with others with great success, if not for us,) but Keegan's signing is well documented in a number of biographies and studies of Liverpool's 'Red Management', including the excellent account (bites his lip) of the 'Wedding Dodger's' old man who truly was a giant amongst scouts.

TC's match, the books show, was 8 months prior to Keegan signing for Liverpool and Andy Beattie who recommended him to Twentystone's old man and eventually Paisley (ast mgr) had been tracking him for 18 months, amazed that nobody else was showing any interest. In Keegan's own biog he recounts how during this period given he was playing well but attracting zero interest he nearly packed in the game when offered extra hours at his 'other job' in the steelworks. It was only toward the end of the 70/71 season that Twentystone's old man and Paisley took an upfront look (itself triggering a number of other NW scouts to cotton-on to who they were tracking.) The deal itself was done very quickly, within hours of an offer being made as Shankley (with his inside contacts at Preston who held him in godlike status,) had discovered they were about to pounce and nick him from under their noses. His biog has tale of how, like Clough, Keegan was taken on a 'long car journey' and 'held' until he signed (£33k). Keegan's biog relates how, nervously, he exploited his 'kidnapping' by extracting an extra tenner a week given they were clearly so desperate to sign him. He chanced his arm and was amazed they coughed up. He questioned what might have happened had they said no and he'd taken Preston's alternate offer.

Just looked up the Keegan episode in Tony Collins book (page 115!) where he agreed a fee with Scunthorpe and Alan Dicks said buy. But Collins had only seen him play once and wanted to watch him again. The day before the next game Keegan was signed by Liverpool for the same agreed price of £25,000.

37 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

22/03/1972, Bristol, Ashton Gate, 20.230
ENGLAND U23 0-1 EAST GERMANY U23 [HT 0-1]

ENGLAND U23:
Phil Parkes                  [Queen's Park Rangers]     [3/0]
Gordon Nisbet                [West Bromwich Albion]     [1/0]
Frank Lampard                [West Ham United]          [2/0]
Len Cantello                 [West Bromwich Albion]     [1/0]
Larry Lloyd                  [Liverpool]                [5/1]
Derek Jeffries               [Manchester City]          [1/0]
Steve Kember                 [Chelsea]                  [3/0]
Mick Channon                 [Southampton]              [7/3]
Malcolm MacDonald            [Newcastle United]         [3/1]
Alan Hudson                  [Chelsea]                  [5/0]
Kevin Keegan                 [Liverpool]                [2/0]
Referee: Brouwer (Netherlands)

34 minutes ago, East End Old Boy said:

Just looked up the Keegan episode in Tony Collins book (page 115!) where he agreed a fee with Scunthorpe and Alan Dicks said buy. But Collins had only seen him play once and wanted to watch him again. The day before the next game Keegan was signed by Liverpool for the same agreed price of £25,000.

Interesting, but there's the best part of 8 months between the game TC attended and Liverpool signing the 'permed one', which suggests if he didn't see him between October 70 and May 71 then he can't have rated him that highly. Liverpool paid £33k, slightly inflated in some reports as £35k (doubtless hiding other 'envelope activities' common practice at the time.)

The 'permed one', too, references only having had discussions with Liverpool & Preston. Perhaps worth asking him at the Q&A if we'd ever entered into negotiation with him?

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

This would be so much easier to read if you didn't have the weird nicknames and personal jokes that nobody understands. 

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Interesting, but there's the best part of 8 months between the game TC attended and Liverpool signing the 'permed one', which suggests if he didn't see him between October 70 and May 71 then he can't have rated him that highly. Liverpool paid £33k, slightly inflated in some reports as £35k (doubtless hiding other 'envelope activities' common practice at the time.)

The 'permed one', too, references only having had discussions with Liverpool & Preston. Perhaps worth asking him at the Q&A if we'd ever entered into negotiation with him?

Collins saw him play mid-week  at Oldham and was going to watch again on the Saturday, no dates mentioned.

Book gives the impression Collins only spoke with the Scunthorpe manager, no contact with the player.

With regard to the fee, values in those days were often inflated by the papers, or so the book states!

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

We nearly signed Kevin Davies . 

I recall, Major, that young Davies came in for all types of grief when later playing against us as he'd made disparaging comments about why he'd never, ever have entertained joining us ....

40 minutes ago, J-mat said:

This would be so much easier to read if you didn't have the weird nicknames and personal jokes that nobody understands. 

What personal jokes? Perchance you're a yung 'un who's never heard tale of 'The Wedding Dodger' and his spectacular falling out with 'Fruity'?

Keep City fans amused for many a month, particularly when he later returned to them.....

32 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

What personal jokes? Perchance you're a yung 'un who's never heard tale of 'The Wedding Dodger' and his spectacular falling out with 'Fruity'?

Keep City fans amused for many a month, particularly when he later returned to them.....

Just some friendly constructive criticism, your post looks like it contains something worth spending my time reading, but like nearly every one of your posts I've seen, I can barely make sense of it because of the weird nicknames and tangents and other absurdity. 

Grew up in a Liverpool House, dad worshipped Keegan, Dalglish, Souness and Emlyn. So I'm always interested in stories about that fabled side and the characters that made it. 

Archived