IGNORED

Kevin Keegan at Ashton Gate

Kid in the Riot

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

We nearly signed Kevin Davies . 

At the time I think our transfer policy revolved around the notion of signing everyone who played for Chesterfield in the 1997 FA Cup Semi Final against Middlesbrough that the Premier League side were very lucky to eventually win.We managed to get 3 of them, Mercer, Holland and Dyche but couldn't get Davies on board.

5 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Yes he was, Toshack scored in front of the East End, I think KK got the assist (did the use of the term "assist" exist back then).  It was the QF of the FA Cup in 1974, funnily enough he played for Liverpool against us at AG a few months later in the early part of the 1974/5 season in the League Cup, which was a 0-0 draw (Liverpool won the replay 4-0 at Anfield).  He didn't play against us at AG in the League at AG as, in our last home game of the 1976/7 season when we beat Liverpool 2-1 (just a few days before the Coventry 2-2 away), he was "injured" as Liverpool were chasing the treble, having just won Division One, although he recovered in time to play in the FA Cup Final (which they lost) and European Cup Final (which they won).  He had played against us in the league at Anfield earlier in the season (we lost 2-1).

After the 1976/7 season he moved to Hamburg and was replaced by Kenny Dalglish, who IIRC correctly played against us many times in the top flight.

I am pretty sure he did and I was there. Without delving into the archives, I am sure it was against East Germany, or to give the more formal name, the German Democratic Republic.  I also seem to remember Mick Channon and Malcolm MacDonald playing for England that night, also the GDR won 1-0 and gave our U23s a bit of a lesson with their technical ability.

Was at Anfield in '77, Dalglish's first season, he put them 1 up before the great Gerry Gow equalised from 30 yards in a 1-1 draw, that was quite an experience as a 14 year old getting to and from anfield from Lime Street using our Kelloggs cornflakes train tickets!!!! 

5 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

22/03/1972, Bristol, Ashton Gate, 20.230
ENGLAND U23 0-1 EAST GERMANY U23 [HT 0-1]

ENGLAND U23:
Phil Parkes                  [Queen's Park Rangers]     [3/0]
Gordon Nisbet                [West Bromwich Albion]     [1/0]
Frank Lampard                [West Ham United]          [2/0]
Len Cantello                 [West Bromwich Albion]     [1/0]
Larry Lloyd                  [Liverpool]                [5/1]
Derek Jeffries               [Manchester City]          [1/0]
Steve Kember                 [Chelsea]                  [3/0]
Mick Channon                 [Southampton]              [7/3]
Malcolm MacDonald            [Newcastle United]         [3/1]
Alan Hudson                  [Chelsea]                  [5/0]
Kevin Keegan                 [Liverpool]                [2/0]
Referee: Brouwer (Netherlands)

I was 1 at the time, but I’ve heard of all of the players except Derek Jefferies....did he have a career of any sorts?

1 hour ago, Galway Red said:

Was at Anfield in '77, Dalglish's first season, he put them 1 up before the gBristol Citys reat Gerry Gow equalised from 30 yards in a 1-1 draw, that was quite an experience as a 14 year old getting to and from anfield from Lime Street using our Kelloggs cornflakes train tickets!!!! 

That game was on the 19th of November. The next morning, as a 16 year old, I was up early as always for the morning paper. All you got was the results. My team Liverpool only made a draw. At home. Against Bristol City. Liverpool at the time usually won everything. I checked Bristol City's league position. Just above the relegation line. City caught my eye and there it all started. Next game we beat Boro 4-1 at home with Joe Royle scoring all four. COYR. Swedes in general at my age take great interest in English football as our own league don't play during the winter time and English football, through BBC West Midlands at the start, has been broad casted in Sweden since the late sixtees.     

1 hour ago, Galway Red said:

Was at Anfield in '77, Dalglish's first season, he put them 1 up before the great Gerry Gow equalised from 30 yards in a 1-1 draw, that was quite an experience as a 14 year old getting to and from anfield from Lime Street using our Kelloggs cornflakes train tickets!!!! 

I was only chatting to the much-missed and legendary @GrahamC over lunch today (two expensive coffees, and a bowl of chips with ketchup. On Graham, to be fair) - he's very much still alive and kicking, OTIB, I can happily confirm, just to be clear - and he was regaling me with his trip to Anfield in the Glory Days, although in his case, a 0:1 defeat I think it was, and then being chased across Stanley Park afterwards by knife-wielding Scallies. 

And then tales of being chased back to the coaches at Upton Park, and getting out of the way of mayhem at St. Andrew's. 

Oh, how we miss those days .....

Always good to see a thread about one of my fellow Kevin's.  King Kev must be the finest footballer out of us.

I have no memories of KK as a player, only as a manager, and wish I could go back in time and somehow ensure Newcastle won the league during their dream-team season.

On 28/02/2020 at 01:08, Kid in the Riot said:

Auction tonight was £600 to meet and a photo with Keegan. Who bowed out at £550? Me.

Rugby tickets x4 for Eng v NZ hospitality I bid £3k and they went for £7k I think.

All for charity ?

Had a 5 minute chat with him for free in between courses, what a lovely man. Also got a pic with him as my mum loved him as a player. Could not afford the £600... but made a donation to the charity.

Archived