IGNORED

Who You Prefer Over LJ?

And Its Smith

Was LJ to get sacked, who would you prefer out of these potential managers?

I have left off Chris Hughton as assume most would say him. Although it is unknown if he would come here as he has turned down bigger clubs than us.

Obviously make other suggestions if I’ve missed any but please make them realistic!  

Lee Bowyer
Danny Cowley 
Paul Warne
Mark Robins
Gareth Ainsworth
Darren Ferguson 
Joey Barton
Karl Robinson 
Martin O’Neill
Aitor Katanka
Nigel Adkins
Paul Clement
Mark Hughes

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I have left off Chris Hughton as assume most would say him. Although it is unknown if he would come here as he has turned down bigger clubs than us.

Obviously make other suggestions if I’ve missed any but please make them realistic!  

Lee Bowyer
Chris Hughton 
Danny Cowley 
Paul Warne
Mark Robins
Gareth Ainsworth
Darren Ferguson 
Joey Barton
Karl Robinson 
Martin O’Neill
Aitor Katanka
Nigel Adkins
Paul Clement
Mark Hughes

And this is why we shouldn't get rid. There's nothing else out there. Unless you take a chance abroad but still (take Hughton off as you said), Jesus that list screams Mid-Table/Relegation. 

I mean, Mark Hughes.... HAHA

May as well chuck Cotts on there too? :laugh:

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

Lee Bowyer
Chris Hughton 
Danny Cowley 
Paul Warne
Mark Robins
Gareth Ainsworth
Darren Ferguson 
Joey Barton
Karl Robinson 
Martin O’Neill
Aitor Katanka
Nigel Adkins
Paul Clement
Mark Hughes

My guess is that most would take any of them now, but if LJ left and any of them were then appointed, the forum would find fault ( cheap option, SL's mate, MA's mate , not enough experience, too much experience etc. etc.)   and indicate who would have been a better appointee.

P.S You say you left off Chris Hughton, so I presume the Chris Hughton you did include must be Christopher Hughton ( a la the Rougier brothers) :) 

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

My guess is that most would take any of them now, but if LJ left and any of them were then appointed, the forum would find fault ( cheap option, SL's mate, MA's mate , not enough experience, too much experience etc. etc.)   and indicate who would have been a better appointee.

P.S You say you left off Chris Hughton, so I presume the Chris Hughton you did include must be Christopher Hughton ( a la the Rougier brothers) :) 

Haha. Oops. Said I left him off then forgot to take him off!!  I am sure Hughton would be a hugely popular appontment

11 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Lee Bowyer
Danny Cowley 
Paul Warne
Mark Robins
Gareth Ainsworth
Darren Ferguson 
Joey Barton
Karl Robinson 
Martin O’Neill
Aitor Katanka
Nigel Adkins
Paul Clement
Mark Hughes

God, what a dismal list.  Is that all we have to look forward to?  If that is the cream of British managers, then maybe we will need to look further afield.  

Chris Hughton is 62.  I know that doesn’t rule him out in itself, but I would hope for someone younger (and I say that as someone who is older than Chris Hughton!).

3 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

i know this would not be popular but i would get warnock in today  for the rest of the season. and see if he can get us into the play offs. then look again in the summer. something has to be done. 

I'd ask for a refund on my season tickets i just renewed.

Martin O'Neill is an interesting shout.  The bloke has a terrific CV; took Celtic to the UEFA cup final, won the League Cup twice with Leceister, did well at Aston Villa (particularly given how far they fell subsequently), got Ireland to the knock out phase of the Euros after beating Italy.  Not given long enough at Forest.

Funny how a manager's stock rises and falls - no one really mentions him now.  But if we're looking for someone with experience, surely we could do an awful lot worse.  If it's him or LJ, I'd take O'Neill without a doubt.

19 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Lee Bowyer
Danny Cowley 
Paul Warne
Mark Robins
Gareth Ainsworth
Darren Ferguson 
Joey Barton
Karl Robinson 
Martin O’Neill
Aitor Katanka
Nigel Adkins
Paul Clement
Mark Hughes

Good god thats a grim list dave LJ IN

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

God, what a dismal list.  Is that all we have to look forward to?  If that is the cream of British managers, then maybe we will need to look further afield.  

Chris Hughton is 62.  I know that doesn’t rule him out in itself, but I would hope for someone younger (and I say that as someone who is older than Chris Hughton!).

Chris Hughton looks very good for 62!  I really don't think we should be making age an important factor.  Just get the right person for the job.  Some of the best managers in the world are in their 60s.

7 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That isn’t a definitive list. There are literally hundreds of realistic names

6 minutes ago, UREDS_91 said:

And this is why we shouldn't get rid. There's nothing else out there. Unless you take a chance abroad but still (take Hughton off as you said), Jesus that list screams Mid-Table/Relegation. 

I mean, Mark Hughes.... HAHA

May as well chuck Cotts on there too? :laugh:

I kind of agree with you, and the likely event of an appointment from within the current coaching set up does not exactly inspire confidence.

But for me Nigel Adkins would be a great fit. He's been successful in every job he's had and won multiple promotions including winning promotion from the championship with southampton, he knows the division, he exudes positivity, and is currently available. What is there not to like. He would be the first person on my list, and i'd prefer to have him in charge than LJ.

I'm still not sure that all of this lies at johnson's feet though. I'm not sure he has much if any control over player recruitment, and he just has to make do with what he's given, which is a mix of incoherent players that might not be able to play the system he would like to. And i'm not sure any upgrade of manager would want to come under those same circumstances. 

2 minutes ago, city1983 said:

I kind of agree with you, and the likely event of an appointment from within the current coaching set up does not exactly inspire confidence.

But for me Nigel Adkins would be a great fit. He's been successful in every job he's had and won multiple promotions including winning promotion from the championship with southampton, he knows the division, he exudes positivity, and is currently available. What is there not to like. He would be the first person on my list, and i'd prefer to have him in charge than LJ.

I'm still not sure that all of this lies at johnson's feet though. I'm not sure he has much if any control over player recruitment, and he just has to make do with what he's given, which is a mix of incoherent players that might not be able to play the system he would like to. And i'm not sure any upgrade of manager would want to come under those same circumstances. 

Agree about Adkins.

I'd take Adkins, O'Neill or Hughton over LJ in a heartbeat.  As much as anything, we really need fresh impetus.  It's become so stale.

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

There is only one I would consider, and now we have to wait for WHam to finish with him ( again).

Moyes would want to spend mega bucks on the squad and I seriously doubt he or many other managers would be prepared to sign up to SLs strategy of sustainability. Having to sell your better players pretty much every window and be expected to get City promoted to the PL is a very tall order.

22 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Lee Bowyer
Danny Cowley 
Paul Warne
Mark Robins
Gareth Ainsworth
Darren Ferguson 
Joey Barton
Karl Robinson 
Martin O’Neill
Aitor Katanka
Nigel Adkins
Paul Clement
Mark Hughes

My pick would probably be Cowley. I like his ethos and think he's the sort of guy the board would go for.

Gareth Ainsworth looks promising and probably deserves a shot at a higher level.

Paul Clement is better than his record suggests and think he's the sort of manager the board would look at too.

I would be really interested to see us go for someone high profile like Mark Hughes and see how it would pan out.

25 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Lee Bowyer
Danny Cowley 
Paul Warne
Mark Robins
Gareth Ainsworth
Darren Ferguson 
Joey Barton
Karl Robinson 
Martin O’Neill
Aitor Katanka
Nigel Adkins
Paul Clement
Mark Hughes

I saw Alan Curbishley in Clifton this morning......

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Martin O'Neill is an interesting shout.  The bloke has a terrific CV; took Celtic to the UEFA cup final, won the League Cup twice with Leceister, did well at Aston Villa (particularly given how far they fell subsequently), got Ireland to the knock out phase of the Euros after beating Italy.  Not given long enough at Forest.

Funny how a manager's stock rises and falls - no one really mentions him now.  But if we're looking for someone with experience, surely we could do an awful lot worse.  If it's him or LJ, I'd take O'Neill without a doubt.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/06/28/martin-oneill-sacked-nottingham-forest-just-five-months-charge/

Many many stories like the one above regarding O'Neill's last stint at Forest. Granted Forest were/are a basketcase of a club but unfortunately think O'Neill has had his time at the top level. 

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Cotts until end of the season, then get LJ back once Steve's got us promoted.

LJ is a midtable manager and would keep us up, just can't get us near promotion.

If LJ is a midtable manager, Cotts is a relegation manager. At this level.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

There is only one I would consider, and now we have to wait for WHam to finish with him ( again).

Always had the sense that we left David Moyes with unfinished business after the Tony Pulis appointment. Although I'm not entirely convinced about Moyes' recent managerial efforts, his straight talking, no nonsense, well-organised approach would be the perfect antidote to the confusion that appears to be inflicted on this squad of players.

Surely it's only a matter of time before West Ham decide they need another change?!! 4 defeats and 1 draw in their last five games. That's usually enough to unseat most of his predecessors.

Archived