IGNORED

Who You Prefer Over LJ?

And Its Smith

An interesting part about Chris Hughton is his transfer targets, looking back through transfermarkt (it lists the age of the player when purchased) for his time with Norwich, Birmingham and Brighton it looks like 90% of his transfer buys are 25 or over, I don't know how many academy players he's brought through at clubs but he had Butland and Redmond at Birmingham, presumably Solly March at Brighton, how many games did they get under him anyone know? As I genuinely don't. 

Just a quick search of his transfer record may suggest he's wouldn't be as inclined to go with the clubs buy low, sell high routine and may want older players who don't have as much scope to increase in value.

37 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Was LJ to get sacked, who would you prefer out of these potential managers?

I have left off Chris Hughton as assume most would say him. Although it is unknown if he would come here as he has turned down bigger clubs than us.

Obviously make other suggestions if I’ve missed any but please make them realistic!  

Lee Bowyer
Danny Cowley 
Paul Warne
Mark Robins
Gareth Ainsworth
Darren Ferguson 
Joey Barton
Karl Robinson 
Martin O’Neill
Aitor Katanka
Nigel Adkins
Paul Clement
Mark Hughes

No Paul Tisdale.......?!

14 minutes ago, city1983 said:

I kind of agree with you, and the likely event of an appointment from within the current coaching set up does not exactly inspire confidence.

But for me Nigel Adkins would be a great fit. He's been successful in every job he's had and won multiple promotions including winning promotion from the championship with southampton, he knows the division, he exudes positivity, and is currently available. What is there not to like. He would be the first person on my list, and i'd prefer to have him in charge than LJ.

I'm still not sure that all of this lies at johnson's feet though. I'm not sure he has much if any control over player recruitment, and he just has to make do with what he's given, which is a mix of incoherent players that might not be able to play the system he would like to. And i'm not sure any upgrade of manager would want to come under those same circumstances. 

We wouldn’t be looking for a ‘ manager ‘ but a head coach , someone who should be leading the football side of the whole club in a coherent way , evidently with the first team as priority.

This system is not so unusual and I am convinced that we are a very attractive proposition for any coach in the world.

23 minutes ago, Redstart said:

Jokanovic was the guy who got Fulham promoted into the Premier a couple of seasons back, from memory they played good football in the Championship. He ended up with some club in Qatar when Ranieri took over.

He also got Watford promoted to the Premier in 2014/15...……...and they sacked him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaviša_Jokanović

A no-nonsense manager and a great potential appointee. However, would he fit into the Bristol Sport brand?

I would be looking for a coach who has experience of promotion to the Prem .

The différence between Colin’s football and LJ’s football is that one is winning and ugly and the other is ugly and mediocre.

Jokanovic could be a good shout .

If not Hughton then McCarthy .

I like what Robins is doing at Coventry under very difficult conditions and my only concern would be that he hasn’t achieved promotion to the Prem yet and I would prefer someone who knows how to get there . 

I would think there’s a good chance of Robins being our next coach .

39 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

God, what a dismal list.  Is that all we have to look forward to?  If that is the cream of British managers, then maybe we will need to look further afield.  

Chris Hughton is 62.  I know that doesn’t rule him out in itself, but I would hope for someone younger (and I say that as someone who is older than Chris Hughton!).

For me age doesn’t come into it, the more experienced and knowledgeable you are the better. 

Would be a completely sideways if not backwards step to appoint someone like Cowley or Ainsworth.

People don’t like the fact that Johnson has turned us into a stable yet wholly unspectacular championship side (despite that being exactly what people said they wanted to see over the coming years when we went up, but that’s another debate....) 

The only logical choice if there is a vacancy on the horizon is someone with a proven ability to get a team out of this league.

25 minutes ago, Riaz said:

If LJ is a midtable manager, Cotts is a relegation manager. At this level.

The level isn't important, it's the calibre of player. He got a good team at League One level performing at or above their ability.

We now have a good team at Championship level performing below their ability. I think Cotterill would maximise that and get us in the play offs.

27 minutes ago, Super said:

Roy Keane, Kenny Jackett, Phil Parkinson, Darren Ferguson

I've always liked the idea of Darren Ferguson

4 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Play the right way for a relegation battle as demonstrated currently...

Cowley was appointed in September after the transfer window was shut so hasn't had time to create his squad. Bit unfair to judge him on this season alone given his past successes. Next season will be the test.

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

The level isn't important, it's the calibre of player. He got a good team at League One level performing at or above their ability.

We now have a good team at Championship level performing below their ability. I think Cotterill would maximise that and get us in the play offs.

Yep, I think if LJ left today and Cotterill was appointed as manager until the end of the season with the target of getting top 6 - I'd give him a better chance of achieving it than LJ. 

He wasn't here that long really so difficult to say how he'd get on longer term - but for a short term boost he's a very strong choice.

18 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Its mind boggling how OTIB moans about the quality of football being served, and then suggests managers such as Warnock, Hughton, Moyes and Sam Allardyce. 

Isn't it obvious? What would we lose? We're already playing boring football. The end justifies the means if you bring in a manager that gets teams over the line.

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

this is hilarious.

We looked woeful in the championship under cotts. LJ with more or less the same squad, improved us and we climbed away from the relegation zone.

Clearly LJ is the much better manager.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Isn't it obvious? What would we lose? We're already playing boring football. The end justifies the means if you bring in a manager that gets teams over the line.

We are already stable in the Championship, bringing him in would achieve nothing and we will be back to square one for next season. Either bring in a manager now who is going to play the way we want to in the future so he has time to develop his philosophy or leave LJ in. 

I would want to really freshen things up by looking abroad - quite a few clubs have had success taking this route but would be be a gamble - as would many on the list. Want the club to come alive again as it has become so predictably dull. 

How do English wages for managers compare with wages paid in Europe. Could determine the standard we would be looking for. 

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Moyes would want to spend mega bucks on the squad and I seriously doubt he or many other managers would be prepared to sign up to SLs strategy of sustainability. Having to sell your better players pretty much every window and be expected to get City promoted to the PL is a very tall order.

So how come Moyes worked wonders at Everton when that club hardly spent any money for a decade?

1 minute ago, extonsred said:

I would want to really freshen things up by looking abroad - quite a few clubs have had success taking this route but would be be a gamble - as would many on the list. Want the club to come alive again as it has become so predictably dull. 

How do English wages for managers compare with wages paid in Europe. Could determine the standard we would be looking for. 

Agreed. I wouldn't be against that. No names to suggest really but something worth taking time to get right. 

Archived