IGNORED

Who You Prefer Over LJ?

And Its Smith

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Odd that some of LJ's loudest detractors seem to be missing from this thread. Thought they'd be on here and able to reel off a long list of names they'd rather have in charge... 

I think the hole in that argument is that it's possible to hold the view that just removing LJ and putting almost anyone in charge for the rest of the season is likely to improve things.

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I think the hole in that argument is that it's possible to hold the view that just removing LJ and putting almost anyone in charge for the rest of the season is likely to improve things.

Yep, would be a tricky one to defend though. As if he's that inept then there should be plenty of better candidates out there. I'm far from convinced there are, and SL's track record of appointments indicates more failures than successes. 

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Odd that some of LJ's loudest detractors seem to be missing from this thread. Thought they'd be on here and able to reel off a long list of names they'd rather have in charge... 

5 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Or they didnt like LJ from the start and are just desperate for him to be gone

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

i know this would not be popular but i would get warnock in today  for the rest of the season. and see if he can get us into the play offs. then look again in the summer. something has to be done. 

Hate to agree. But I do. 

Feels like a free hit. We're safe, what have we got to lose?

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep, would be a tricky one to defend though. As if he's that inept then there should be plenty of better candidates out there. I'm far from convinced there are, and SL's track record of appointments indicates more failures than successes. 

Surely that’s on SL, not who is out there?

I think that what some posters overlook is the the word ‘trust’. SL has been let down too often by previous managers who failed to adhere to his strategy having agreed to it at interview.

SL trusts LJ to work within his policy and so far LJ has delivered and that’s largely why SL refused to sack him when City were in and around the DZ not too long ago and fans were calling for LJs head.

The only thing that’s changed since then is Citys  Championship position which has improved season on season. I imagine that SL is a happy bunny right now. I’m also sure that SL couldn’t a toss about the quality of football being served up either - he certainly didn’t care under GJ so definitely won’t care now.

If/when LJ leaves City I’d expect to see either Deano or Macca tonfill the void to provide the much desired stability.

25 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Maybe they are at work!? ?

20 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Or they didnt like LJ from the start and are just desperate for him to be gone

I'm sure that applies to some, but I think in recent weeks he's started to lose the faith of a much wider group.

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes but I expect there's a better candidate list at the end of the season so you might reasonably want to do something temporary now and see if we get a reaction and leave your options otherwise open.

23 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Hate to agree. But I do. 

Feels like a free hit. We're safe, what have we got to lose?

If LJ somehow left tomorrow, I wouldn't be against someone like short term like Warnock until the end of the season. I'd want us to take our time over a long term appointment, especially if we looked abroad. I don't really mind if that process takes 4 months as long as we get it right.

Warnock, or someone along those lines, is a very safe pair of hands in that time. 

I wouldn't necessarily want that scenario to happen - but in a hypothetical situation where LJ goes with games to go and if we want to keep to a long term strategy, someone for the short term with experience isn't a bad idea whilst we get a long term manager right. 

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Martin O'Neill is an interesting shout.  The bloke has a terrific CV; took Celtic to the UEFA cup final, won the League Cup twice with Leceister, did well at Aston Villa (particularly given how far they fell subsequently), got Ireland to the knock out phase of the Euros after beating Italy.  Not given long enough at Forest.

Funny how a manager's stock rises and falls - no one really mentions him now.  But if we're looking for someone with experience, surely we could do an awful lot worse.  If it's him or LJ, I'd take O'Neill without a doubt.

I remember when he was second favourite with the bookies when we had a vacancy in the past

In nearly creamed my pants then - stock has dropped since, slipped a bit into the dinosaur category unfortunately 

Obviously quite a few managers I'd like us to get but trying to be realistic...…. 

Sensible and fairly experienced choices: Alex Neil at PNE, Warburton at QPR or Paul Cook at Wigan - done a good job on a rubbish budget, play some decent football, been unlucky this season and I think they'll stay up. 

Young up and coming/inexperienced choice: Always think Liam Rosenior comes across really well and I think he'll go on to be a good manager.

I have three on my short-list, and to be honest they're not too realistic.

• Big Sam - Obviously would be great at this level, but would have zero intention of coaching a mid-table Championship side
  • Quique Flores - A solid coach, and would probably do great at this level, but again wouldn't be up for joining us
  • Michael Laudrup - Legend of the game, and has had some success as a manager. After Swansea he mostly managed in Qatar for mega-bucks, but I imagine Bristol City would be an interesting project for him.

Anyone that wants Warnock needs their head examined.

As far as I am concerned if we are being serious about Premier League football then firstly as regards homegrown possibilities it would be Alex Neil, took Norwich up. Again this is a truly realistic target but would he be cosy enough for SL? He also wouldn't take any interference. Then pitching it higher - Walter Mazzara, did okay with undistinguished players at Watford , then up again Mauricio Pellegrino, Argentinian, managed right across Europe, Rafa's assistant. The last two have the contacts to attract high quality foreign players.They wouldn't be cheap. But who would make that a priority in these matters? We should be spending millions on a superb managerial/coaching set-up IMO before we spend any more millions on players.

Thing is  before you consider these men, and Neil would be a conservative appointment, you first have to ask lots of questions about our owner and the set-up at BCFC. 

Unless SL has had a fairly significant change of mind he will not surrender sufficient control and he will continue to interfere where he has insufficient knowledge.

What is he? Owner, Chairman (the fiasco in the negotiations to get McInnes), chief scout ( David James). Director of football (Coppell and James)

If SL is able to relinquish control then he would have to sell the enormous potential of BCFC with a catchment area of over a million people and then the candidate would have their demands. Would he meet them?????

I like Warburton's football at QPR. And Robins at Coventry.

But one i would go for (if LJ was to be sacked) would be Struber of Barnsley.

I think he has them playing very good football. Plays young players. He is the right DNA.

He's working with so little and I believe will keep Barnsley up.

33 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If LJ somehow left tomorrow, I wouldn't be against someone like short term like Warnock until the end of the season. I'd want us to take our time over a long term appointment, especially if we looked abroad. I don't really mind if that process takes 4 months as long as we get it right.

Warnock, or someone along those lines, is a very safe pair of hands in that time. 

I wouldn't necessarily want that scenario to happen - but in a hypothetical situation where LJ goes with games to go and if we want to keep to a long term strategy, someone for the short term with experience isn't a bad idea whilst we get a long term manager right. 

So ditch the entire long-term strategy for short term success?

I'm surprised and disappointed in you Phil.

49 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think that what some posters overlook is the the word ‘trust’. SL has been let down too often by previous managers who failed to adhere to his strategy having agreed to it at interview.

SL trusts LJ to work within his policy and so far LJ has delivered and that’s largely why SL refused to sack him when City were in and around the DZ not too long ago and fans were calling for LJs head.

The only thing that’s changed since then is Citys  Championship position which has improved season on season. I imagine that SL is a happy bunny right now. I’m also sure that SL couldn’t a toss about the quality of football being served up either - he certainly didn’t care under GJ so definitely won’t care now.

If/when LJ leaves City I’d expect to see either Deano or Macca tonfill the void to provide the much desired stability.

I know it’s his money but SL needs to be the one to trust. To trust footballing people to make the right decisions,l. As already mentioned, his recruitment record is patchy at best 

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I like Warburton's football at QPR. And Robins at Coventry.

But one i would go for (if LJ was to be sacked) would be Struber of Barnsley.

I think he has them playing very good football. Plays young players. He is the right DNA.

He's working with so little and I believe will keep Barnsley up.

I’d love to see the reaction if we took another Barnsley manager :laugh: 

Archived