IGNORED

Who You Prefer Over LJ?

And Its Smith

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interesting shout. Think Barnsley have not a bad squad though tbh, but are significantly lacking in experience- think their average age is 23 or something!

If they had a few experienced individuals amongst that they would surely be higher.

Barnsley are the youngest starting X1 in this season's Championship (22 years and 315 days). Brentford's the second youngest.

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Martin O'Neill is an interesting shout.  The bloke has a terrific CV; took Celtic to the UEFA cup final, won the League Cup twice with Leceister, did well at Aston Villa (particularly given how far they fell subsequently), got Ireland to the knock out phase of the Euros after beating Italy.  Not given long enough at Forest.

Funny how a manager's stock rises and falls - no one really mentions him now.  But if we're looking for someone with experience, surely we could do an awful lot worse.  If it's him or LJ, I'd take O'Neill without a doubt.

Not sure about a bloke that rates callum odowda ???

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I can’t think of any but it was a stability policy that served Liverpool well. No reason not to try and do the same at City should the situation arise.

Im pretty sure that if LJ moved on Macca and Deano would Cross SLs mind.

God I hope not. Look at past experiences 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m trying to guess what SL would do if/when LJ leaves the club. He’s a fan of the old Liverpool boot room way of ensuring stability and it would therefore make sense to install either Macca or Deano.

That way the club would not suffer a period of instability. Appointing a new man along with his backroom staff cause a huge upheaval throughout the entire club and I’m sure SL would want to avoid that.  

Ah, the Anfield Boot Room. Shanks and Paisley. Joe Fagan and Kenny Dalglish. League titles, European, UEFA, FA and League Cups aplenty.

How do Bristol City fit into this analogy, RR?

I’d be very happy with Jokanovich but doubt we’d be able to tempt him back to England from Qatar. 

The Liverpool assistant, Ljinders, would also be an exciting appointment if we could lure him. 

A left-field shout could be Carlos Coberan, a highly-rated coach’s working under Bielsa at Leeds.

I’d take Hughton if he was willing to come, and Moyes if he was up for working under this structure. 

The sad reality if and when LJ gets the boot is it’ll be someone like Clement. I see nothing to suggest SL has a Pat Lam up his sleeve for us. 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I’m trying to guess what SL would do if/when LJ leaves the club. He’s a fan of the old Liverpool boot room way of ensuring stability and it would therefore make sense to install either Macca or Deano.

That way the club would not suffer a period of instability. Appointing a new man along with his backroom staff cause a huge upheaval throughout the entire club and I’m sure SL would want to avoid that.  

Liverpool were a successful club with a consistent approach why in Hades name would we want to perpetuate mediocrity ?

You can name all the names you like.

The only candidate outside of the football club as far as I'm aware, that SL is known to like, and may possibly work within the confines of the current 'project' is Mark Robins.

The same Mark Robins who has produced entertaining football at a club which is seriously ****ed.

The same Mark Robins that has produced results at that football club, despite taking over in possibly it's darkest hour.

And for those that will raise being 'unproven at this level', we are currently suffering the fourth/fifth year of somebody that was exactly that when appointed, and had no record of entertaining football either.

So it's Robins for me, from a list of viable candidates that includes himself, Jamie MacAllister and Dean Holden (as far as I can ascertain).

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Ah, the Anfield Boot Room. Shanks and Paisley. Joe Fagan and Kenny Dalglish. League titles, European, UEFA, FA and League Cups aplenty.

How do Bristol City fit into this analogy, RR?

Well we did win the Gloucester Cup a fair few times during the equivalent time these guys were in  tenure at Liverpool ?

• Admin
10 hours ago, RedM said:

There is only one I would consider, and now we have to wait for WHam to finish with him ( again).

This isn’t fantasy football...  (or fantasy anything else), by that yardstick we’d have varying Manageress’s from Kylie, Maria Sharapova, or one of many fine looking women that have been admired on this board over the years..... 

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

I think that what some posters overlook is the the word ‘trust’. SL has been let down too often by previous managers who failed to adhere to his strategy having agreed to it at interview.

SL trusts LJ to work within his policy and so far LJ has delivered and that’s largely why SL refused to sack him when City were in and around the DZ not too long ago and fans were calling for LJs head.

The only thing that’s changed since then is Citys  Championship position which has improved season on season. I imagine that SL is a happy bunny right now. I’m also sure that SL couldn’t a toss about the quality of football being served up either - he certainly didn’t care under GJ so definitely won’t care now.

If/when LJ leaves City I’d expect to see either Deano or Macca tonfill the void to provide the much desired stability.

I often disagree with you RR, but sometimes you hit the proverbial nail...

Leaving aside the posters who claim there are numerous candidates out there but don't seem able to name one, and leaving aside the totally unrealistic, there's a further sift and that's exactly what you describe. It will have to be someone who'll buy into what SL believes is not so much policy as an essential requirement for the club's future, and that means above all being prepared to lose your best players and rebuild. Of the relatively uninspiring list we're down to, a good proportion wouldn't live with that.

The one reservation I have about how comfortable SL might be with the way his strategy is being delivered is the one @bcfcnick refers to and that's whether SL wouldn't prefer to see our own academy players being the ones we bring on and ultimately sell. Guess that was the case early in LJs tenure, Bryan, Reid etc, but there's less evidence of it now. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I can’t think of any but it was a stability policy that served Liverpool well. No reason not to try and do the same at City should the situation arise.

Im pretty sure that if LJ moved on Macca and Deano would Cross SLs mind.

Oh come on, Liverpool were immense at that point and those successive managers and assistant managers were trained up in what was effectively a trophy machine.  The infrastructure, players and all the tools for success were there and their main purpose was to keep maintaining that.

Liverpool are completely the wrong example to use in our case.  They were determined to keep doing what was working amazingly well for them, so their answer was to employ from within.  Are you seriously saying you want to see us continuing with this shit??? 

Imho, the longer this goes on, the more we need to flush out all the coaching staff who are responsible for this mess, not promote them.

As you very often like to say JEEZ

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Not sure if anyone has said Thomas Frank?

Not sure if he'd come to us, but certainly the right type.

On the same train of thought. I beleive Frank was an U21 at Kobenhavn before taking the Brondby job. 

Whats the name of the Liverpool U21 boss? Critchley? 

Would be in similar vein to Cooper at Swansea, in terms of an appointment? 

5 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

We have had four years of Lee and his teams/football now, that's a lot to go on. Enough, I would say, to make a fairly considered appraisal of his merits, and to make a reasonably educated guess at our chances of going up under Lee (this is the task any hc is faced with here, now, let's be clear). It's all guesswork, of course.

We - the punters - have very little to go on with any potential successors. We don't get to speak to people inside the game that know them, we don't get to meet them, shake their hands, look them in the eye, go on gut instinct. We haven't observed a year of their team/football in person, let alone four.

I think we are much better placed to say "Lee's not up to it" now (right or wrong, as that may turn out) than we are to say "Danny Cowley," or someone else. I think it is perfectly understandable that there is far more of the "get rid" than the "get him" and so, not "odd" to me, at least.

That said, I do agree with you that SL choosing a successor is not a cheering thought, and reason enough to be cautious and to wait at least until the summer. Although, will it not be Ashton choosing now?

Ashton would make suggestions but we all know it's SLs decision!

4 hours ago, tin said:

I’d be very happy with Jokanovich but doubt we’d be able to tempt him back to England from Qatar. 

The Liverpool assistant, Ljinders, would also be an exciting appointment if we could lure him. 

A left-field shout could be Carlos Coberan, a highly-rated coach’s working under Bielsa at Leeds.

I’d take Hughton if he was willing to come, and Moyes if he was up for working under this structure. 

The sad reality if and when LJ gets the boot is it’ll be someone like Clement. I see nothing to suggest SL has a Pat Lam up his sleeve for us. 

None of those names in bold will be joining us mate

15 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Ashton would make suggestions but we all know it's SLs decision!

None of those names in bold will be joining us mate

I'm curious as to why you discount Houghton? He has been without a role since leaving BHA, unlikely to be offered Prem job, has had success at this level at similar size clubs, so why could he not be a realistic option here? 

24 minutes ago, NickJ said:

You actually know that do you.

Pity you don't know about the failed transfers of summer 2015.

I'm sure he does as we all do.

Cotts was a dead manager managing when the Board failed to back him with his transfer targets that summer.

He had already shown us what he could achieve with the Board's backing.

Archived