IGNORED

Who You Prefer Over LJ?

And Its Smith

21 hours ago, BigTone said:

How many others can you count on one finger ?

21 hours ago, Robbored said:

I can’t think of any but it was a stability policy that served Liverpool well. No reason not to try and do the same at City should the situation arise.

Im pretty sure that if LJ moved on Macca and Deano would Cross SLs mind.

The answer is one. You can only count one on a single finger. 

33 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm sure he does as we all do.

Cotts was a dead manager managing when the Board failed to back him with his transfer targets that summer.

He had already shown us what he could achieve with the Board's backing.

Jeez........EEH........you are completely misunderstanding the main reason Cotterill was sacked.

We at Senior Reds realised that SC was heading out the door when SL spoke at the Xmas lunch. He had failed to implement SLs policy of buying, developing young players into Championship quality or selling them on. SL lost trust in him.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Jeez........EEH........you are completely misunderstanding the main reason Cotterill was sacked.

We at Senior Reds realised that SC was heading out the door when SL spoke at the Xmas lunch. He had failed to implement SLs policy of buying, developing young players into Championship quality or selling them on. SL lost trust in him.

That’s exactly what Cotterill did. He just wanted a couple of real quality additions to add to the relatively small squad of young, talented players he had developed. 

3 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

That’s exactly what Cotterill did. He just wanted a couple of real quality additions to add to the relatively small squad of young, talented players he had developed. 

Really? You’ll have to remind me who these young players were.

OK he i go;

Experienced  UK Managers. 

1. Mick  McCarthy

2.Neil Warnock

3. Roy Keane

Overseas Managers

1.Slavisa Jokanovic

2. Alton Kaanka

3.Daniel Farke

Me thinking outside the box Managers

1. Thomas Frank

2. Rafael Benitez

3. Arsene Wenger

I know SL has not got the balls to hire any of these. So it will be Scott Murray. I can dream can't i.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Bit difficult to achieve when you're only the Manager a two and a half seasons.

I'm sure Lansdown of all people was not complaining when we did the double, and looked leagues ahead the rest of League One. 

36 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The team that started our first game of the 15/16 Championship season featured 4 young signings by Cotterill (Freeman, Ayling, Korey Smith and Fredericks). It also included 4 young players Cotterill helped develop (Bryan, Williams, Flint, and Pack). The other three players were Fielding, 25 year old Jonathan Kodjia (who we made a great profit on) and Wilbraham. With academy players Burns, Reid and O’Leary on the bench. 

Shame the rug was pulled from underneath Cotterill’s feet and he didn’t get to add Gray and Maguire to that team. Then the following season we spent around £10 million on Tomlin, Engvall, Djuric, Hegelar and Magnússon. Great policy that one. 

22 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

OK he i go;

1. Mick  McCarthy

2.Neil Warnock

3. Roy Keane

Overseas Managers

1.Slavisa Jokanovic

2. Alton Kaanka

3.Daniel Farke

Me thinking outside the box Managers

1. Thomas Frank

2. Rafael Benitez

3. Arsene Wenger

I know SL has not got the balls to hire any of these. So it will be Scott Murray. I can dream can't i.

Wenger is about as likely as Lee Johnson accepting some blame when we lose a game. 

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm sure he does as we all do.

Cotts was a dead manager managing when the Board failed to back him with his transfer targets that summer.

He had already shown us what he could achieve with the Board's backing.

Cotts shot him self in the foot with his , perhaps understandable, reaction . 

Had he been a little more diplomatic who knows ? 

23 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

The team that started our first game of the 15/16 Championship season featured 4 young signings by Cotterill (Freeman, Ayling, Korey Smith and Fredericks). It also included 4 young players Cotterill helped develop (Bryan, Williams, Flint, and Pack). The other three players were Fielding, 25 year old Jonathan Kodjia (who we made a great profit on) and Wilbraham. With academy players Burns, Reid and O’Leary on the bench. 

Shame the rug was pulled from underneath Cotterill’s feet and he didn’t get to add Gray and Maguire to that team. Then the following season we spent around £10 million on Tomlin, Engvall, Djuric, Hegelar and Magnússon. Great policy that one. 

Yeah, but, no, but....but apart from them. ????

Interesting when people talk about SC’s failure here in the championship....it’s because of a failed transfer window.

And yet many of the same people will say that it was LJ who wasn’t able to get the best out of one of the ‘best squads we’ve ever had’, Ayling, Flint, Bryan, Reid et al and build on all that league one promotion momentum.

Also without taking away from SC’s league one efforts - I noticed some re-writing of history recently with the claim that that SC squad and promotion was (Something along the lines of) ‘on a shoe string’ budget. Nonsense. Not only in the two seasons before we went up under SC did he make 30 plus signings (makes LJ’s transfer turnover almost look frugal) I suspect as a result of those signings our wage bill was easily top 6, if not top 2 or 3 of league one, at that time. 

On 27/02/2020 at 13:36, nickolas said:

No Paul Tisdale.......?!

I know that Tisdale was approached after the Coppell episode and wasn't comfortable with the limitations. He's a single minded bloke and I think he's talented but I don't think he'd work with the owner's set up

On 27/02/2020 at 11:59, RedDave said:

Was LJ to get sacked, who would you prefer out of these potential managers?

I have left off Chris Hughton as assume most would say him. Although it is unknown if he would come here as he has turned down bigger clubs than us.

Obviously make other suggestions if I’ve missed any but please make them realistic!  

Lee Bowyer
Danny Cowley 
Paul Warne
Mark Robins
Gareth Ainsworth
Darren Ferguson 
Joey Barton
Karl Robinson 
Martin O’Neill
Aitor Katanka
Nigel Adkins
Paul Clement
Mark Hughes

Steve Clarke

59 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Cotts shot him self in the foot with his , perhaps understandable, reaction . 

Had he been a little more diplomatic who knows ? 

Indeed Major...

Lost his head & behaved like a naughty 5yr old..all that not filling the bench malarky....

I'm certain he has regrets about it...

Who knows indeed....a pity!

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I'm curious as to why you discount Houghton? He has been without a role since leaving BHA, unlikely to be offered Prem job, has had success at this level at similar size clubs, so why could he not be a realistic option here? 

Decent contract package plus a nice juicy promotion bonus??..

Worth a pop & is free to say no.

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

I'm curious as to why you discount Houghton? He has been without a role since leaving BHA, unlikely to be offered Prem job, has had success at this level at similar size clubs, so why could he not be a realistic option here? 

I’m a big Hughton fan, would love him to be our next manager - wouldn’t say we are as big as Newcastle United though ...

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@Alessandro he undoubtedly had a top 3 budget, but importantly he delivered, you might say 1st with a JPT trophy was over-delivery??? 

Potentially mate - as I said in the post, it was not to take away from his achievement in the slightest.

Simply that i've read on here, a few times, people stating that SC's achievements were done on a shoe string budget, which I believe is an incorrect statement. 

Plus the interesting fact that many people use the churn of players against LJ, yet SC signed over 30 in 2 seasons. He was backed.

He was also backed with a club record Kodjia - and ultimately what went wrong with the other deals is still shrouded in myth and mystery (and the argument done to death) 

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

OK he i go;

1. Mick  McCarthy

2.Neil Warnock

3. Roy Keane

Overseas Managers

1.Slavisa Jokanovic

2. Alton Kaanka

3.Daniel Farke

None of them would be prepared to work under SLs  sustainability policy.  None of them would accept having to sell their better players every window and be expected to win promotion.

Get  real.................:cool2:

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Potentially mate - as I said in the post, it was not to take away from his achievement in the slightest.

Simply that i've read on here, a few times, people stating that SC's achievements were done on a shoe string budget, which I believe is an incorrect statement. 

Plus the interesting fact that many people use the churn of players against LJ, yet SC signed over 30 in 2 seasons. He was backed.

He was also backed with a club record Kodjia - and ultimately what went wrong with the other deals is still shrouded in myth and mystery (and the argument done to death) 

A club record Kodjia that many credit LJ with profiting on. Plus Bryan & Flint. I’ll allow LJ Bobby Reid, but if you take the others away as Assets that already belonged to the club pre LJ, LJ’s net profit argument doesn’t look so rosy... especially if you add in that he completely failed to cash in on the hugely saleable assets of Freeman & Ayling (probably 20m). 

And while we’re there, how many times has LJ smashed the club transfer record?

Make no bones about it, where LJ and Cotts are concerned it’s not even near a level playing field. 

23 minutes ago, Robbored said:

None of them would be prepared to work under SLs  sustainability policy.  None of them would accept having to sell their better players every window and be expected to win promotion.

Get  real.................:cool2:

Well al let him sale his overpaid Rugby players to balance the books for a change 

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

A club record Kodjia that many credit LJ with profiting on. Plus Bryan & Flint. I’ll allow LJ Bobby Reid, but if you take the others away as Assets that already belonged to the club pre LJ, LJ’s net profit argument doesn’t look so rosy... especially if you add in that he completely failed to cash in on the hugely saleable assets of Freeman & Ayling (probably 20m). 

Make no bones about it, where LJ and Cotts are concerned it’s not even near a level playing field. 

Very true whens he going??

5 hours ago, old_eastender said:

He's a realistic option but I just don't think SL would go for him. Too much experience, not enough of a yes man and also tends to sign older players.

15 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Very true whens he going??

Robin......LJ won’t be going anywhere soon. He’s under orders from SL to improve City league position season on season.

So far he’s managed 11th, then 8th so he needs to finish 7th or above stay in SLs good books........If he fails then SL might decide that it’s time for a change..............:cool2:

31 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I never said SC was backed more than LJ. I just said SC was backed with that team that got us promoted from league one.

Yes of course LJ has been backed more in hard cash sums, but it's a whole other debate and it's not the same comparison anymore. The club doesn't compare now to what it did then, so it's not a level playing field for either manager. Different levels of profit from selling, development strategies, budgets, club/media revenue, employees, bosses etc etc. 

And why I find it all a pointless comparison, just using your logic for a minute, you can go round in circles like that:

Selling Baldock for several millions paid for Ayling, Flint and Freeman...which in turn paid for....X, Y, Z......

So basically we all have Derek McInnes to thank.

So why does no one want to give Cotterill a job?  He’d been in the frame at City more than once, and we’d gone elsewhere on several occasions, and in the end he was something of a last resort after O’Driscoll.  I suspect that Lansdown felt that Cotterill was never going to buy into a plan for the future.  He was old school management and Lansdown’s vision for Bristol City and Bristol Sport was anything but old school.  That’s why so many of the names being suggested - McCarthy, Warnock,  Keane for heaven’s sake - are so fetched.  When/if Johnson goes, I think he’ll be replaced by a dynamic young manager with a vision for the future, very high-level coaching ability, a scientific and analytical approach to management, and the ability to see the bigger picture.  I have no idea who that is, but it sure as hell isn’t the sort of name being mentioned in this thread.

Archived