IGNORED

Who You Prefer Over LJ?

And Its Smith

22 hours ago, Fuber said:

Whats the name of the Liverpool U21 boss? Critchley?

People seem to forget that the much-maligned Sean O’Driscoll’s next two jobs after leaving Bristol City were England U19s coach and then Assistant Manager at Liverpool FC - given the consistent vitriol on here directed at Sean, despite the impressive stuff he put in place behind the scenes at our club which undoubtedly contributed to what we have now, why would we want to touch another person that Liverpool FC deems good enough to hold an important position at their club ?!

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Robin......LJ won’t be going anywhere soon. He’s under orders from SL to improve City league position season on season.

So far he’s managed 11th, then 8th so he needs to finish 7th or above stay in SLs good books........If he fails then SL might decide that it’s time for a change..............

So he MIGHT be going somewhere soon then. 

?

7 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm sure he does as we all do.

Cotts was a dead manager managing when the Board failed to back him with his transfer targets that summer.

He had already shown us what he could achieve with the Board's backing.

He was backed. He bid massive money for unrealistic targets.

And he never showed in his whole career, he could succeed at championship level. 

All he showed was relegation form and with more or less the same players, LJ climbed the table to safety 

On 27/02/2020 at 21:09, Superjack said:

You can name all the names you like.

The only candidate outside of the football club as far as I'm aware, that SL is known to like, and may possibly work within the confines of the current 'project' is Mark Robins.

The same Mark Robins who has produced entertaining football at a club which is seriously ****ed.

The same Mark Robins that has produced results at that football club, despite taking over in possibly it's darkest hour.

And for those that will raise being 'unproven at this level', we are currently suffering the fourth/fifth year of somebody that was exactly that when appointed, and had no record of entertaining football either.

So it's Robins for me, from a list of viable candidates that includes himself, Jamie MacAllister and Dean Holden (as far as I can ascertain).

Totally agree. Robins was my first choice over johnson when he got appointed.

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

People seem to forget that the much-maligned Sean O’Driscoll’s next two jobs after leaving Bristol City were England U19s coach and then Assistant Manager at Liverpool FC - given the consistent vitriol on here directed at Sean, despite the impressive stuff he put in place behind the scenes at our club which undoubtedly contributed to what we have now, why would we want to touch another person that Liverpool FC deems good enough to hold an important position at their club ?!

Very true. I think he was the right man at the wrong time. He set the wheels in motion for lots of the positives that have emerged from the club.. bought Aden Flint, bought Marlon Pack. Joined at a very difficult time when we had to cut our budget. 

I think at that time we probably needed someone more motivational - like Cotterill. The fans needed someone to be inspired by and that's just not SO'D's strength. I think he'd be a great assistant manager or DOF though for the current set up. 

15 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He's a realistic option but I just don't think SL would go for him. Too much experience, not enough of a yes man and also tends to sign older players.

Agree, don’t think SL’s ego would allow a houghton type manager. He should do though as it’s the one thing I’ve always had a problem  about him . I don’t think he understands the game that well and needs educating imo 

On 27/02/2020 at 13:05, Riaz said:

We looked woeful in the championship under cotts. LJ with more or less the same squad, improved us and we climbed away from the relegation zone.

That's simply not true is it?

LJ had the benefit of 6 new players after Cotterill left - Matthews, O'Donnell, Odemwingie, Pearce, Tomlin & Golbourne.

More than half a new team, anything but more or less the same.

26 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's simply not true is it?

LJ had the benefit of 6 new players after Cotterill left - Matthews, O'Donnell, Odemwingie, Pearce, Tomlin & Golbourne.

More than half a new team, anything but more or less the same.

Only Tomlin from that list, you can say improved us. 

16 hours ago, Robbored said:

Robin......LJ won’t be going anywhere soon. He’s under orders from SL to improve City league position season on season.

So far he’s managed 11th, then 8th so he needs to finish 7th or above stay in SLs good books........If he fails then SL might decide that it’s time for a change..............:cool2:

I think your right unfortunately but their must be 15000 fans hoping your wrong mate.

On 28/02/2020 at 18:30, Alessandro said:

Interesting when people talk about SC’s failure here in the championship....it’s because of a failed transfer window.

And yet many of the same people will say that it was LJ who wasn’t able to get the best out of one of the ‘best squads we’ve ever had’, Ayling, Flint, Bryan, Reid et al and build on all that league one promotion momentum.

Also without taking away from SC’s league one efforts - I noticed some re-writing of history recently with the claim that that SC squad and promotion was (Something along the lines of) ‘on a shoe string’ budget. Nonsense. Not only in the two seasons before we went up under SC did he make 30 plus signings (makes LJ’s transfer turnover almost look frugal) I suspect as a result of those signings our wage bill was easily top 6, if not top 2 or 3 of league one, at that time. 

That's not correct.

After Cotterill arrived in December 2013:

In the winter transfer window of 2013/14 he signed one player on a free transfer and another 2 for relatively small fees (Osborne and El-Abd), plus 5 loan signings.

In the summer transfer window before 2014/15 he signed 3 players on free transfers and another 3 permanent signings (Smith, Freeman and Agard); no loan signings.

In the winter transfer window of 2014/15 he did not make any permanent signings but did take on 4 loans.

Nowhere near 30 plus signings and nowhere near making Johnson's transfer turnover look frugal.

Cotterill's 6 permanent signings in summer 2015 formed the nucleus of the team that strolled the league title, demonstrating I'd say his eye for quality players rather than the current manager's preference for quantity.

20 hours ago, Robbored said:

Nowhere near where 15000 Rob............1500 maybe.........:dunno:

I really hope there aren’t only 1500 fans who want to see the back of LJ.  If so, our fanbase don’t deserve top level football, as that shows a complete and utter lack of ambition to stick with what we’re doing so badly.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

That's not correct.

After Cotterill arrived in December 2013:

In the winter transfer window of 2013/14 he signed one player on a free transfer and another 2 for relatively small fees (Osborne and El-Abd), plus 5 loan signings.

In the summer transfer window before 2014/15 he signed 3 players on free transfers and another 3 permanent signings (Smith, Freeman and Agard); no loan signings.

In the winter transfer window of 2014/15 he did not make any permanent signings but did take on 4 loans.

Nowhere near 30 plus signings and nowhere near making Johnson's transfer turnover look frugal.

Cotterill's 6 permanent signings in summer 2015 formed the nucleus of the team that strolled the league title, demonstrating I'd say his eye for quality players rather than the current manager's preference for quantity.

Only a loser could respond to the above undeniable fact with a laughing emoji, but anyway just to add it's worth remembering:

In the summer transfer window before 2015/16 Cotts made just 2 permanent signings (Kodja and Fredericks). After the intended key signings of Gray and Maguire fell through, he signed Robinson, Moore and Baker on loans, presumably forced limited option alternatives, plus 3 other low key loans.

The point is as Cotts assembled his squad and time went on the number of signings decreased as he was happy with his judgment. 

Since January 2016 Johnson has made 54 permanent signings and a further 20 loans. A manager with trust in his own judgment would not need to sign the equivalent of an average of more than a whole team every single season.

Since July 2019 Bristol City have made 26 loans OUT.

7 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

He's not on your radar as he's not achieved anything yet but  Richie Wellens has the potential to go to a much bigger club and will be much sought after if he continues to deliver both on and off the pitch 

Doing a good job for you ST ?

Confident ?

Cheers Bob. Yes he's doing a cracking job along with Noel Hunt as his side kick. Wellens knows the game, plays exciting football and demands comittment from the players and is not aftraid to drop anyone as he proved earlier in the season. Without being over confident it's ours to mess up now as we've played most of the teams around us apart from Cheltenham and have two home games this week to hopefully pull away at the top,

4 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Cheers Bob. Yes he's doing a cracking job along with Noel Hunt as his side kick. Wellens knows the game, plays exciting football and demands comittment from the players and is not aftraid to drop anyone as he proved earlier in the season. Without being over confident it's ours to mess up now as we've played most of the teams around us apart from Cheltenham and have two home games this week to hopefully pull away at the top,

I take it the resigning of Doyle and the other lad up top was vital ?

Wellen has good pedigree as a ‘footballer’

Brought up at Man Utd wasn’t he 

Doyle and Jerry Yates on loan from Rotherham have been class for us along with Anthony Grant we got from Shrewsbury who puts himself about. Having Paul Caddis back  has been key as he's got tonnes of experience and can play in different positions when needed.

wellens originated at United and done really well at Leicester amongst other clubs and only las time week Blackpool come sniffing aeound but we're refused permission to talk to him then a couple of days later he signed a new 3 year contract so Power now has protected his asset incase bigger clubs come asking 

4 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Doyle and Jerry Yates on loan from Rotherham have been class for us along with Anthony Grant we got from Shrewsbury who puts himself about. Having Paul Caddis back  has been key as he's got tonnes of experience and can play in different positions when needed.

wellens originated at United and done really well at Leicester amongst other clubs and only las time week Blackpool come sniffing aeound but we're refused permission to talk to him then a couple of days later he signed a new 3 year contract so Power now has protected his asset incase bigger clubs come asking 

Is that the ex Chelsea Anthony Grant? 

5 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

The Swindon fans I jnow are , like yourself , decent and sensible , and for that reason alone I hope you go up

Our journeys over my lifetime have many similarities

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The Swindon fans I jnow are , like yourself , decent and sensible , and for that reason alone I hope you go up

Our journeys over my lifetime have many similarities

Same with City fans I've know over the years decent and knowledgable and alway enjoyed playing you more than the Gas or Oxford and we've also shared a few players between us both 

5 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

Is that the ex Chelsea Anthony Grant? 

Yes he started at Chelsea 

Archived