Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

And Its Smith

Who You Prefer Over LJ?

Relieve LJ of his duties get Warnock in until end of the season to stabilise us and also give us that new manager bounce. Then look for someone in the meantime to take us forward next season.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

The level isn't important, it's the calibre of player. He got a good team at League One level performing at or above their ability.

We now have a good team at Championship level performing below their ability. I think Cotterill would maximise that and get us in the play offs.

Yep, I think if LJ left today and Cotterill was appointed as manager until the end of the season with the target of getting top 6 - I'd give him a better chance of achieving it than LJ. 

He wasn't here that long really so difficult to say how he'd get on longer term - but for a short term boost he's a very strong choice.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Its mind boggling how OTIB moans about the quality of football being served, and then suggests managers such as Warnock, Hughton, Moyes and Sam Allardyce. 

Isn't it obvious? What would we lose? We're already playing boring football. The end justifies the means if you bring in a manager that gets teams over the line.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Nobody said my top pick. Paul Warne.  Done well at Rotherham all things considered 

I did think about him and think you're right. Another one is Paul Cook who's got a very solid record. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

The level isn't important, it's the calibre of player. He got a good team at League One level performing at or above their ability.

We now have a good team at Championship level performing below their ability. I think Cotterill would maximise that and get us in the play offs.

this is hilarious.

We looked woeful in the championship under cotts. LJ with more or less the same squad, improved us and we climbed away from the relegation zone.

Clearly LJ is the much better manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Aubergine 2
  • Rovers 1

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

Isn't it obvious? What would we lose? We're already playing boring football. The end justifies the means if you bring in a manager that gets teams over the line.

We are already stable in the Championship, bringing him in would achieve nothing and we will be back to square one for next season. Either bring in a manager now who is going to play the way we want to in the future so he has time to develop his philosophy or leave LJ in. 

I would want to really freshen things up by looking abroad - quite a few clubs have had success taking this route but would be be a gamble - as would many on the list. Want the club to come alive again as it has become so predictably dull. 

How do English wages for managers compare with wages paid in Europe. Could determine the standard we would be looking for. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Moyes would want to spend mega bucks on the squad and I seriously doubt he or many other managers would be prepared to sign up to SLs strategy of sustainability. Having to sell your better players pretty much every window and be expected to get City promoted to the PL is a very tall order.

So how come Moyes worked wonders at Everton when that club hardly spent any money for a decade?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, extonsred said:

I would want to really freshen things up by looking abroad - quite a few clubs have had success taking this route but would be be a gamble - as would many on the list. Want the club to come alive again as it has become so predictably dull. 

How do English wages for managers compare with wages paid in Europe. Could determine the standard we would be looking for. 

Agreed. I wouldn't be against that. No names to suggest really but something worth taking time to get right. 

Houghton or robins

Those are the two names I’d like to see here, both play good football, both can organise a side

both are good man managers

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Was LJ to get sacked, who would you prefer out of these potential managers?

I have left off Chris Hughton as assume most would say him. Although it is unknown if he would come here as he has turned down bigger clubs than us.

Obviously make other suggestions if I’ve missed any but please make them realistic!  

Lee Bowyer
Danny Cowley 
Paul Warne
Mark Robins
Gareth Ainsworth
Darren Ferguson 
Joey Barton
Karl Robinson 
Martin O’Neill
Aitor Katanka
Nigel Adkins
Paul Clement
Mark Hughes

In all honesty, none of the above

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Houghton or robins

Those are the two names I’d like to see here, both play good football, both can organise a side

both are good man managers

What's good about Houghton's football?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

I'd ask for a refund on my season tickets i just renewed.

.... and then you’d sneak back into Ashton Gate when Neil got us promoted ! 😂🤣

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

.... and then you’d sneak back into Ashton Gate when Neil got us promoted ! 😂🤣

no chance. I'd rather stay at home, than watch a team full of players diving and cheating for 90 minutes.

Luckily SL has said he'd never employ him as manager.

• Aubergine 1

1 hour ago, UREDS_91 said:

Jesus that list screams Mid-Table/Relegation. 

Does it? Does it really?! So you think every single name on that list is a worse manager/head coach than LJ?!! 😂😂😂🤣

This place is priceless! No one is ever good enough for our club!!  😎✌️😄

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Does it? Does it really?! So you think every single name on that list is a worse manager/head coach than LJ?!! 😂😂😂🤣

This place is priceless! No one is ever good enough for our club!!  😎✌️😄

Not even a manager that has improved our points tally every year, while having a negative net spend

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

no chance. I'd rather stay at home, than watch a team full of players diving and cheating for 90 minutes.

SL also said he wouldn’t sell Kodjia to another championship club ....

This ‘cheating’ myth cracks me up - he wouldn’t have survived in the game as a manager for well over three decades if he was a cheat ... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

So how come Moyes worked wonders at Everton when that club hardly spent any money for a decade?

Everton are a PL club.............

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Not even a manager that has improved our points tally every year, while having a negative net spend

I appreciate our league positions improve but I would argue it’s not that we’ve ‘climbed higher’ but that each year we haven’t ‘fallen as far’.

There’s a difference.

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

That isn’t a definitive list. There are literally hundreds of realistic names

Shhh, don’t talk sense otherwise the apathetic happy clappers will have lost their argument for sticking with mr mediocrity. ‘There’s no one out there’, Jesus Christ... we have such a small time mentality. Where did wolves get Nuno from. Where did Leeds go, where did West Brom go for an appointment. It’s pathetic to create a list of uninspiring largely uk managers as an argument for sticking with Johnson. 

the hierarchy at our club should have a massive list of potential coaches, few of which will be mentioned in the opening post on this thread.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RedM said:

There is only one I would consider, and now we have to wait for WHam to finish with him ( again).

We had our chance for Moyes when he made the short list of 2....

.....we chose Pulis instead :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Moyes would want to spend mega bucks on the squad and I seriously doubt he or many other managers would be prepared to sign up to SLs strategy of sustainability. Having to sell your better players pretty much every window and be expected to get City promoted to the PL is a very tall order.

I know...

But you could have let me dream for a couple of hours before you waded in with your logic :sad26:

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Another one is Paul Cook who's got a very solid record. 

Yep, I like Paul Cook. His teams always play watchable football. Whether any of them could cope with the turn over of players or would be prepared to work under the conditions that LJ does is another thing.

6 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Incidentally when did SL say he’d never employ Warnock? I must have missed that interview, apologies

2 minutes ago, myol'man said:

We had our chance for Moyes when he made the short list of 2....

.....we chose Pulis instead :facepalm:

And that alone will upset me forever more. :sad26:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

SL also said he wouldn’t sell Kodjia to another championship club ....

This ‘cheating’ myth cracks me up - he wouldn’t have survived in the game as a manager for well over three decades if he was a cheat ... 

Myth? I'm basing it on the many matches i've watched

against neil warnock teams. Massive men chucking themselves on the ground and buying free kicks, not for me.

Edited by Riaz

25 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

We are already stable in the Championship, bringing him in would achieve nothing and we will be back to square one for next season. Either bring in a manager now who is going to play the way we want to in the future so he has time to develop his philosophy or leave LJ in. 

Yeah three options:

1. Short term manager with proven record of making playoffs. Means to an end.

2. Long term manager with correct philosophy, but likely to be less 'proven'

3. Trust Johnson 

Now you might ask why we don't go for a proven manager with a track record, and has the correct philosophy... and I'd ask who that is...?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

His hoofs are hoofier than LJ's hoofiest hoofs. 

Brighton was full of hoofs

For the record, I would be absolutely against Warnock too. But the one thing I do like about him is that he takes all the heat on himself and totally allows his players to focus on the football. No throwing players under the bus for him*

* Now some smartass is going to provide a list of times when he has done that so I would like to make it clear that’s just my impression of him, I’m happy glad to declare I am no Warnock expert.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I appreciate our league positions improve but I would argue it’s not that we’ve ‘climbed higher’ but that each year we haven’t ‘fallen as far’.

There’s a difference.

Try telling that to the 91 other clubs who haven’t seen a year on year improvement for the past 5 years. 

13 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Myth? I'm basing it on the many matches i've watched

against neil warnock teams. Massive men chucking themselves on the ground and buying free kicks, not for me.

I still remember when we witnessed Greg Halford die and come back to life during his Rotherham days

Was like Easter weekend crammed into 9 minutes

Edited by 'Orns
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Flames 1

id send our 3 wise men to dubai for 3 months and let scotty and the team fend for themselves for the rest of this year. at least then I wouldn't be getting wound up by weird tactics etc

19 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah three options:

1. Short term manager with proven record of making playoffs. Means to an end.

2. Long term manager with correct philosophy, but likely to be less 'proven'

3. Trust Johnson 

Now you might ask why we don't go for a proven manager with a track record, and has the correct philosophy... and I'd ask who that is...?

Jovankovic, two promotions. Left Maccabi after 6 months to join Fulham last time. Plays nice football. Why couldn't we offer him a deal to leave his Qatari club? Depends how much he is being paid and his career ambitions I guess. 

If not, if SL doesn't elect for option 3, he should almost certainly go for option 2.

There is the whole world out there to select from.

Is looking there any more of a gamble than a manager who managed Oldham and Barnsley for a couple of seasons?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Try telling that to the 91 other clubs who haven’t seen a year on year improvement for the past 5 years. 

It’s not a race to the bottom 👍

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Odd that some of LJ's loudest detractors seem to be missing from this thread. Thought they'd be on here and able to reel off a long list of names they'd rather have in charge... 

Schools back 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Odd that some of LJ's loudest detractors seem to be missing from this thread. Thought they'd be on here and able to reel off a long list of names they'd rather have in charge... 

I think the hole in that argument is that it's possible to hold the view that just removing LJ and putting almost anyone in charge for the rest of the season is likely to improve things.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I think the hole in that argument is that it's possible to hold the view that just removing LJ and putting almost anyone in charge for the rest of the season is likely to improve things.

Yep, would be a tricky one to defend though. As if he's that inept then there should be plenty of better candidates out there. I'm far from convinced there are, and SL's track record of appointments indicates more failures than successes. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

5 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Or they didnt like LJ from the start and are just desperate for him to be gone

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

i know this would not be popular but i would get warnock in today  for the rest of the season. and see if he can get us into the play offs. then look again in the summer. something has to be done. 

Hate to agree. But I do. 

Feels like a free hit. We're safe, what have we got to lose?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep, would be a tricky one to defend though. As if he's that inept then there should be plenty of better candidates out there. I'm far from convinced there are, and SL's track record of appointments indicates more failures than successes. 

Surely that’s on SL, not who is out there?

I think that what some posters overlook is the the word ‘trust’. SL has been let down too often by previous managers who failed to adhere to his strategy having agreed to it at interview.

SL trusts LJ to work within his policy and so far LJ has delivered and that’s largely why SL refused to sack him when City were in and around the DZ not too long ago and fans were calling for LJs head.

The only thing that’s changed since then is Citys  Championship position which has improved season on season. I imagine that SL is a happy bunny right now. I’m also sure that SL couldn’t a toss about the quality of football being served up either - he certainly didn’t care under GJ so definitely won’t care now.

If/when LJ leaves City I’d expect to see either Deano or Macca tonfill the void to provide the much desired stability.

• Snake 1