IGNORED

Dean Holden Press Conference - What is the identity on the pitch?

Prinny

So I'm okay by Gregor hiding behind the fans comments and questions. He will of course say it's his job to ask what the fans want. We all know he has a relationship with the club to maintain and I appreciate that he asks these for us, even if there should be room for a journalist to be brave enough to ask questions himself. A culture of fear at Ashton gate? Certainly in the media room!

Most interesting thing in the master of saying nothing press conference (I have no issue with Holden doing his on to Cincinnati impression) came when we get back to the identity question.

"What is the identity on the pitch?" 5:13

"Well the gaffer uses the term "busy bees", hustling the opposition, energetic, showing as they say that passion on the pitch, you know getting the ball and playing in good areas of the pitch, getting the crowd out of their seat and making things happen. Ultimately that's what we're about and that's what we're going to get back to."

17 minutes ago, Prinny said:

So I'm okay by Gregor hiding behind the fans comments and questions. He will of course say it's his job to ask what the fans want. We all know he has a relationship with the club to maintain and I appreciate that he asks these for us, even if there should be room for a journalist to be brave enough to ask questions himself. A culture of fear at Ashton gate? Certainly in the media room!

Most interesting thing in the master of saying nothing press conference (I have no issue with Holden doing his on to Cincinnati impression) came when we get back to the identity question.

"Well the gaffer uses the term "busy bees", hustling the opposition, energetic, showing as they say that passion on the pitch, you know getting the ball and playing in good areas of the pitch, getting the crowd out of their seat and making things happen. Ultimately that's what we're about and that's what we're going to get back to."

Yep , Williams, Benkovic, Henriksen ...all the epitome of ‘ busy bees ‘... 

In short , no idea what the actual ‘ identity ‘ is .

Clever move by GM I thought, ensuring he keeps readers and club sweet .

35 minutes ago, Prinny said:

17E11B0A-5054-459E-800A-F5D7AEA17284.gif

46 minutes ago, Prinny said:

"Well the gaffer uses the term "busy bees", hustling the opposition, energetic, showing as they say that passion on the pitch,

so our identity is playing like a load of school kids. Ultimately this “tactic” is about stopping the opposition rather than forcing our play onto the opposition. No wonder we barely get shots on target.

you know getting the ball and playing in good areas of the pitch,

fail 

getting the crowd out of their seat and making things happen.

fail

Ultimately that's what we're about and that's what we're going to get back to."

"What is the identity on the pitch?" 5:13

"Well the gaffer uses the term "busy bees", hustling the opposition, energetic, showing as they say that passion on the pitch,

so our identity is playing like a load of school kids. Ultimately this “tactic” is about stopping the opposition rather than forcing our play onto the opposition. No wonder we barely get shots on target.

you know getting the ball and playing in good areas of the pitch,

fail 

getting the crowd out of their seat and making things happen.

fail

Ultimately that's what we're about and that's what we're going to get back to."

Well, I’d rather you didn’t actually. If that is our identity then they really have run out of ideas

3 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

****** hell what a load of bollox. This club is in a mess! Never heard so much crap at a Presser.

Actually, that is not right, Johnson is even worse at Pressers. We are taken for mugs by this lot.

So Holden gets thrown under the bus by LJ. I felt sorry for him. Johnson should have taken that. I'm not saying we'd have any the wiser, but the BS would have been much more eloquent, LJ is a public speaker, Holden obviously ain't !

Does anyone know if it’s common for other managers to have their assistants do press conferences before some games? Genuine question as I have no idea.

That said, I would expect Johnson to be fronting up to the questions at a time like this. Some might say that he did the press conference after the game on Tuesday and it’s good to hear a different voice but I don’t particular care what Holden has to say at this moment as he’s not ultimately responsible. 

18 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

He never really answered any question , just typical . We all care blah blah blah.

one answer I did laugh at , the identity question. Busy bees ?? we haven’t played like that for two years ffs 

That's exactly what I thought,  he didn't answer any of those questions just took the easy option...we focus on the next match ...poor interview 

15 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

Does anyone know if it’s common for other managers to have their assistants do press conferences before some games? Genuine question as I have no idea.

That said, I would expect Johnson to be fronting up to the questions at a time like this. Some might say that he did the press conference after the game on Tuesday and it’s good to hear a different voice but I don’t particular care what Holden has to say at this moment as he’s not ultimately responsible. 

With any luck LJ was busy packing up his trophies, ready for a hasty departure when he gets taught another lesson in tactics at the Den

Normally I'm quite cynical but I don't see anything wrong in that. 

1. Good on McGregor asking tricky questions. The wry smiles from Holden said it all.

2. Holden coped well. Calm and measured answers. Didn't trip up or get annoyed with the negative slant.

3. The identity explanation was better than anything LJ has presented so far. It still stopped way short of what we want, but at least I understand that we're supposed to be an energetic, front foot team with technical ability on the ball, which hasn't been evident in games for a long time.

It's a very revealing interview. Good questions that were answered with generic answers.

If you've had any dealings with body language, which I've had with giving interviews, the questions that reveal are smirks, smiles, moving side to side on seat, and scratching nose and mouth after answering.

The identity question was revealing...as he put it on what LJ says, rather than what the coaching staff or club believe.

Tbh...that's the first interview I've watched in LJs tenure, that's left me thinking they've got to a level and it's reached their summit.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's a very revealing interview. Good questions that were answered with generic answers.

If you've had any dealings with body language, which I've had with giving interviews, the questions that reveal are smirks, smiles, moving side to side on seat, and scratching nose and mouth after answering.

The identity question was revealing...as he put it on what LJ says, rather than what the coaching staff or club believe.

Tbh...that's the first interview I've watched in LJs tenure, that's left me thinking they've got to a level and it's reached their summit.

how he sits back in his chair at one point. Poor chap

I like Dean, he has been put on the spot here. Surely he would've been briefed beforehand? How the hell can the players know what is going on if the coaches don't…

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

What I saw from that interview was a coach who is smarting from the last three results, particularly the abysmal first half at Huddersfield and he came across as somewhat defensive. 

He did his best to present in confident fashion but he didn’t succeed in my view.

2 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Like last season when we won there you mean?

There’s always one!

It’s not about the Den as such, just our recent form! I would love to see us win! I never want us to lose- that why I don’t like-want-respect-trust LJ!

What’s wrong with expecting better? Even the players are not enjoying what they are being subjected to!

1 hour ago, Prinny said:

Absolutely clueless. Please can the powers that be remove this completely incompetent coaching set up!

41 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What I saw from that interview was a coach who is smarting from the last three results, particularly the abysmal first half at Huddersfield and he came across as somewhat defensive. 

He did his best to present in confident fashion but he didn’t succeed in my view.

As soon as I heard from the interviewer that these are questions from fans, you saw the unease. Fidgeting, uneasy laughter and smiles looking for assurance in the room. It stinks of...' go on then, if I have to, just to appease, what do they know...if I must'. The whole body language after mentioning fans tells a story...watch the movement, facial reaction, laughing and nose and mouth handling after mentioning fans. It's a tell tell sign. 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

The way I see it is that if you have to ask what the identity is then there isn't one!

I've also noticed that the players tend to spout the same management mantra in interviews - nothing is particularly enlightening.

I'm just glad JFK didn't task the City management with getting to the moon. Although it might have have made the statement 'we're not where we want to be' a bit more understandable.

Archived