IGNORED

Dean Holden Press Conference - What is the identity on the pitch?

Prinny

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Seriously what do people expect from interviews. All managers give very little away. If anything Johnson is more open than most.

I feel sorry for Holden and McAllister doing them. They're just assistant to the main man. They might not even agree with what LJ does sometimes.

Bit ridiculous people having a go at him imo. He's probably thinking what does the boss want me to say to this one!? He is in a difficult situation.

Like I've said before. When we lose people have a go about everything. Even an assistant head coaches press conference!

No one had a problem with what he says when we win 4 in a row. These things have zero relevance to what we will see on the pitch this weekend.

Looks like it's just you and me feeling sympathetic JD.

Although I do actually think it's good experience for Holden and Macca to do these. Public speaking takes practice. 

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Looks like it's just you and me feeling sympathetic JD.

Although I do actually think it's good experience for Holden and Macca to do these. Public speaking takes practice. 

Both Macca and Holden are pretty experienced in press conferences these days. They hardly need practice ffs......

1 hour ago, spudski said:

As soon as I heard from the interviewer that these are questions from fans, you saw the unease. Fidgeting, uneasy laughter and smiles looking for assurance in the room. It stinks of...' go on then, if I have to, just to appease, what do they know...if I must'. The whole body language after mentioning fans tells a story...watch the movement, facial reaction, laughing and nose and mouth handling after mentioning fans. It's a tell tell sign. 

I think he was expecting “worse” questions!!

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Seriously what do people expect from interviews. All managers give very little away. If anything Johnson is more open than most.

I feel sorry for Holden and McAllister doing them. They're just assistant to the main man. They might not even agree with what LJ does sometimes.

Bit ridiculous people having a go at him imo. He's probably thinking what does the boss want me to say to this one!? He is in a difficult situation.

Like I've said before. When we lose people have a go about everything. Even an assistant head coaches press conference!

No one had a problem with what he says when we win 4 in a row. These things have zero relevance to what we will see on the pitch this weekend.

I agree Jon.

In fairness to Holden, having met him a few times and spoken at quite some length with him, this is Holden in constrained mode, perhaps wondering what the next question will be.  He is very different “in real life” (if you get what I mean).

I would be a very different interview if he was himself.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness to Holden, having met him a few times and spoken at quite some length with him, this is Holden in constrained mode, perhaps wondering what the next question will be.  He is very different “in real life” (if you get what I mean).

I would be a very different interview if he was himself.

He was the guest speaker at January Senior Reds. Came across as confident in what he had to say. Though on first team matters he spoke quite a bit but said very little. Much like this press conference.

Someone asked him who was the best manager he had worked for. He answered Dean Smith. Make of that what you will! ?

4 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

He was the guest speaker at January Senior Reds. Came across as confident in what he had to say. Though on first team matters he spoke quite a bit but said very little. Much like this press conference.

Someone asked him who was the best manager he had worked for. He answered Dean Smith. Make of that what you will! ?

Bet that went down well ?

I agree with @mozo and @JonDolman. I think it's easy to be critical of a presser, especially when not performing well. In all honesty what did people want him to say? What could he say realistically? He would never admit to problems behind the scenes and going back to the drawing board all the time. 

Much like new player pressers.... "I heard the club were intetested two days ago and it all went really quickly from there really", "The gaffer sold the club to me", "This is a big club with great fans".

What they really wanna say is yeah good contract decent wage should set me up and it's an alright city so could bring my kids up here. 

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

‘Four defeats in five, can you put your finger on why that is?’

’Well, I’m not a great believer in looking at the past’. 

Brilliant. That’s that sorted then, glad we’ve got our best man on the job.

Tbf.....Deano has a point. Once the game analysis is completed and discussed it’s time to look forward to the next game. It can only have a negative impact if defeats are relived again and again.

The Championship is relentless Saturday, midweek, Saturday so very little benefit in dwelling on what’s gone before. Learn what you can from defeats and move on.

Well, that answers the identity question. We’re not the ‘rocking robins’ rather, the ‘busy bees’. 

Great.

Explains why we were comatosed in Huddersfield. Clearly too cold to be active on the night. 

I think our our great leader did complain earlier on in the season that the players only wanted to function in hot, sunny conditions. It’s all beginning to fall in place now. When it warms up again expect us to go on another storming run. Just hope we have an early Spring now and promotion will be ours. 

It really bugs me when either Dean H or Jamie Mc do the press conferences - they both say absolutely nothing.

It would be interesting to know how many other teams in the top two divisions have anyone other than the ‘manager’ do the press conferences!

Come on LJ - do your job and face the media!

4 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Holden doesn’t tend to give much away does he? Pretty blunt and cliche answers. Not sure you can take that interview seriously in anyway.

Doesn't give much away?  I don't think he is even capable of articulating anything of any substance, or any insight that might be of interest.  It's all empty waffle and repetitive buzzwords, that have no meaning or substance.   Talk about some of our players looking like scared rabbits in the headlights, he did a pretty good impression himself?  Have to say what a massive cop out by LJ to send Holden out, he must know that all we would get is bluster and bullshit from him, and LJ didn't have the balls to come out and face the music himself. it was Nine minutes of pointless drivel that was an insult to our loyal supporters, who deserved some proper answers, not empty platitudes? I am looking forward to our passionate players giving their all at Millwall, win lose or draw, and we need and expect to see some of this so called passion that our apparently motivated squad possess, perhaps they'll show us all their busy bee identity?

2 hours ago, bearded_red said:

‘Four defeats in five, can you put your finger on why that is?’

’Well, I’m not a great believer in looking at the past’. 

Brilliant. That’s that sorted then, glad we’ve got our best man on the job.

"Those who ignore History are doomed to repeat it"  someone a lot smarter than me once said.   How can Holden say  "We watched the Huddersfield match back a number of times"....and then state "I'm not a great believer in looking at the past"............says it all?

This man must have one hell of a vision for City to get the job and beat off all the other applicants. Like to hear very quickly with no bullshit what Dean Holden as number one is going going to do differently to Lee Johnson when he was part ??? of the failure that got Johnson sacked.

If the emphasis of the club is to shift towards again developing players it is imperative the Head Coach and his teams of coaches can clearly communicate. Level two coaches at Avon Youth League teams are better communicators than Dean Holden is in that interview.

Lee Johnson was making it up as he went along. One of his assistants is now the Head Coach. This could be rinse and repeat.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

If the emphasis of the club is to shift towards again developing players it is imperative the Head Coach and his teams of coaches can clearly communicate. Level two coaches at Avon Youth League teams are better communicators than Dean Holden is in that interview.

Lee Johnson was making it up as he went along. One of his assistants is now the Head Coach. This could be rinse and repeat.

Know your audience Cowshed!

He’s going out to a fan base who aren’t as knowledgeable as you.  He kept it simple.  I’m sure if he had you in the room discussing tactics, he’d talk in a very different way. 99% of fans don’t give a toss about box entries, PPDA, double pivot, etc.

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Know your audience Cowshed!

He’s going out to a fan base who aren’t as knowledgeable as you.  He kept it simple.  I’m sure if he had you in the room discussing tactics, he’d talk in a very different way. 99% of fans don’t give a toss about box entries, PPDA, double pivot, etc.

Pictures are painted with words and actions. 

Mr Holden starts from a position where due to his association to the past and a rigorous recruitment process that some supporters found questionable he will be less trusted by supporters. 

He is going to need to communicate his vision not only in house where football speak is almost a hidden language but to that differing audience.

Identifying how your team will play, what you aspire and sharing that widely is easy if you have a true vision to start with.  

7 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Pictures are painted with words and actions. 

Mr Holden starts from a position where due to his association to the past and a rigorous recruitment process that some supporters found questionable he will be less trusted by supporters. 

He is going to need to communicate his vision not only in house where football speak is almost a hidden language but to that differing audience.

Identifying how your team will play, what you aspire and sharing that widely is easy if you have a true vision to start with.  

He was scripted. A few stock answers to some basic questions. Let's hope he can convey the technical stuff (in a clear way) when it matters. 

None of us have any idea how smart a coach he is. At all. We're guessing. We'll have an idea by Christmas though.

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

He was scripted. A few stock answers to some basic questions. Let's hope he can convey the technical stuff (in a clear way) when it matters. 

None of us have any idea how smart a coach he is. At all. We're guessing. We'll have an idea by Christmas though.

There were a few things:

• likes 352, not gonna change it every game
  • wants to win games
  • get the ball back quick

As you say, we’ll hear more about philosophy over the coming weeks and then see it play out.  I think those 5 games were his starting point.

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

It was a shit script that couldn't answer a question a level two coach will be asked to gain their badge. A dim coach coach could answer that question. He could not answer a specific question with or without technical detail  because Mr Johnson's team, the team he was employed to coach didn't have an identity.  

Coaches can state what sort of coach they are. It is quite basic. You can outline what football you will play and what your philosophy is. Coaches and clubs do this regularly. Some clubs go further.

This give fans something to understand. This gives fans something to buy into. This can give fans something to be proud off.  

Outlining the vision is beneficial at all times. In Mr Holden case it will be highly beneficial because he is damaged goods. He has a poor performing history here. If the team starts off adversely demonstrating clear thought and actions words will have benefits v not knowing your own mind and football. 

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There were a few things:

• likes 352, not gonna change it every game
  • wants to win games
  • get the ball back quick

As you say, we’ll hear more about philosophy over the coming weeks and then see it play out.  I think those 5 games were his starting point.

Think I'm getting my press conferences mixed up. This is the one where Gregor make him uneasy and Holden unconvincingly deflects every question, isn't it.

Gregor will press him for detail again and fans (especially @Cowshed!) won't like evasion and platitudes. 

If Holden can deliver a more mature version of Cotterill-ball (wing backs, front foot, high energy, passing and move) then City fans will love him. 

The fact that Cotts was far more experienced than Holden and yet still was naive when deploying the attacking 3-5-2, concerns me. We were so vulnerable back then, and looked shaky on the back foot during Holden's 5 games. 

Can Holden can pull off Cotts 2.0?!

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

It was a shit script that couldn't answer a question a level two coach will be asked to gain their badge. A dim coach coach could answer that question. He could not answer a specific question with or without technical detail  because Mr Johnson's team, the team he was employed to coach didn't have an identity.  

Coaches can state what sort of coach they are. It is quite basic. You can outline what football you will play and what your philosophy is. Coaches and clubs do this regularly. Some clubs go further.

This give fans something to understand. This gives fans something to buy into. This can give fans something to be proud off.  

Outlining the vision is beneficial at all times. In Mr Holden case it will be highly beneficial because he is damaged goods. He has a poor performing history here. If the team starts off adversely demonstrating clear thought and actions words will have benefits v not knowing your own mind and football. 

But he isn’t being questioned by a FA Invigilator to get his badges is he?  Why would you expect him to go into that kind of spiel in a media interview?

41 minutes ago, mozo said:

Think I'm getting my press conferences mixed up. This is the one where Gregor make him uneasy and Holden unconvincingly deflects every question, isn't it.

Gregor will press him for detail again and fans (especially @Cowshed!) won't like evasion and platitudes. 

If Holden can deliver a more mature version of Cotterill-ball (wing backs, front foot, high energy, passing and move) then City fans will love him. 

The fact that Cotts was far more experienced than Holden and yet still was naive when deploying the attacking 3-5-2, concerns me. We were so vulnerable back then, and looked shaky on the back foot during Holden's 5 games. 

Can Holden can pull off Cotts 2.0?!

Sorry, I thought you were referring to Monday night.

Just now, Davefevs said:

But he isn’t being questioned by a FA Invigilator to get his badges is he?  Why would you expect him to go into that kind of spiel in a media interview?

Fevs, yes initially I was. Monday was scripted, rehearsed and delivered in a passable fashion.

You're right, he did mention the Middlesbrough game as a reference point and the aim being to go out to win games, which we take to mean 'attacking' football.

The rest is unknown. Does he actually like 3-5-2, or is it a pragmatic decision? Hopefully we find out his thoughts about tactics as time goes on. 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Haven’t listened to the club press conference as everyone says it’s the same as the GT one, but on GT I said to my mates that whilst I was impressed with him overall, one thing that worries me was when he was asked how we will play he didn’t really have any answer.  Some basic thoughts - not with the bull ‘blue sky’ platitudes from LJ but with some level of detail - would've been welcome.  Plenty of time though, sure it will come as gets his feet under the table,  and just an observation at this stage - certainly not a criticism. 

Archived