Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

CyderInACan

Is there a “bounce” in the squad?

Recommended Posts

Millwall is very rarely a happy hunting ground for us but irrespective we will be somewhere from 7th to 11th at the end of this round of games. 

If theres “another Huddersfield” where a team devoid of ideas, enthusiasm and leadership capitulate, we have ten games left with, to my mind, a squad that LJ is unable to motivate. But someone could, surely?

how many times have we seen a manager sacked, be replaced temporarily by his assistant or another coach from the club, and the team instantly react with a decent winning run? 

Release the shackles and over-complications imposed by LJ and put Macca & Deano in charge. Would that give us the bounce and the impetus to take us on a run into the playoffs? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose the one reason that many people will still be optimistic about our season is that in football a bounce can come at any time, whether you change your manager or not.

A scenario: Millwall have a player sent off early in the game. City grow in confidence with the advantage and Wells scores a hat-trick against an unfortunate Millwall team.

Suddenly, City have got a crucial 3 points, have a firing striker, and the Fulham game has a different feel to it. Momentum builds. Boom.

I'm not saying we need that specific scenario, because even an undeserved smash and grab through a fluke own goal would help change the tide a wee bit.

So we don't necessarily need to change the head coach to turn our fortunes, but to answer your question, we have a talented bunch of players so yes there probably is a bounce in there. Having said that, I think they're still putting in the effort, and to have an impact, it would have to be done very soon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends from what height you drop them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

It is indicated statistically that there is more bounce sticking with an under-fire manager than replacing him. 

That's handy then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Chris_Brown said:

It is indicated statistically that there is more bounce sticking with an under-fire manager than replacing him. 

You do know that 98.7% of statistics on the internet are made up?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shame we've already played Preston Away. Plenty of bounce in here.

This place makes the Mardyke seem quite normal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mozo said:

I suppose the one reason that many people will still be optimistic about our season is that in football a bounce can come at any time, whether you change your manager or not.

A scenario: Millwall have a player sent off early in the game. City grow in confidence with the advantage and Wells scores a hat-trick against an unfortunate Millwall team.

Suddenly, City have got a crucial 3 points, have a firing striker, and the Fulham game has a different feel to it. Momentum builds. Boom.

I'm not saying we need that specific scenario, because even an undeserved smash and grab through a fluke own goal would help change the tide a wee bit.

So we don't necessarily need to change the head coach to turn our fortunes, but to answer your question, we have a talented bunch of players so yes there probably is a bounce in there. Having said that, I think they're still putting in the effort, and to have an impact, it would have to be done very soon.

I thought this would happen at Derby, unfortunately we capitulated and almost throw away the win which just seemed to damage confidence further - despite the win 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the bounce can help after a change, ask Watford 4 games after Pearson. Reality is the result of a change is usually very costly and negative. What a lot of people omit is that unless you want the team run by the mascot, anyone calling for a change needs to come up with half a dozen viable alternatives; otherwise how can you interview enough people to make a decision for the better

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Millwall is very rarely a happy hunting ground for us but irrespective we will be somewhere from 7th to 11th at the end of this round of games. 

If theres “another Huddersfield” where a team devoid of ideas, enthusiasm and leadership capitulate, we have ten games left with, to my mind, a squad that LJ is unable to motivate. But someone could, surely?

how many times have we seen a manager sacked, be replaced temporarily by his assistant or another coach from the club, and the team instantly react with a decent winning run? 

Release the shackles and over-complications imposed by LJ and put Macca & Deano in charge. Would that give us the bounce and the impetus to take us on a run into the playoffs? 

I have seen us win more at Millwall more than any other ground...In fact I only remember being there and losing once...We won there last season. In fact I would say its a very happy hunting ground for us...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I have seen us win more at Millwall more than any other ground...In fact I only remember being there and losing once...We won there last season. In fact I would say its a very happy hunting ground for us...

Interesting what the stats say. Maybe it just feels like an unlucky ground to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

What a lot of people omit is that unless you want the team run by the mascot, anyone calling for a change needs to come up with half a dozen viable alternatives; otherwise how can you interview enough people to make a decision for the better

 

I must admit, I have omitted this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on their press conferences I would not trust Holden and McAllister to be able to inspire a frenzied puppy with a  new toy.

I’d be shocked if the team could even raise a gentle jog after the coma inducing pre-match speech.

One out, all out on this one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Interesting what the stats say. Maybe it just feels like an unlucky ground to me. 

Yes you get those. QPR was unlucky. And now it’s the opposite. 
 

but it still feels unlucky to me!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...