IGNORED

Subs and Formation - Mischievous Graph

Davefevs

Ok, I’m being a bit mischievous but the chart below tracks when goals are scored and conceded minute by minute, and plotting the result at that point.

F6ADAE32-A678-4459-83B5-6F170F827078.jpeg.458e4029ef5f3cf24060dad28a604b01.jpeg
When you look at the fact that we make a lot of changes at h-t or the hour mark, often multiple subs and regular formation changes at this point, it appears to have a negative effect for 15 mins afterwards.

Overall our h-t position of 7th is funnily enough our end position!!

Its almost as if it makes little difference!!

Ok, it’s a bit too simplistic but interesting we struggle at the start of the second half, and again on the hour, but we finish strong. 

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

plotting the result at that point

OOOHHHH new E361 stuff.

Just to clarify - it's not quite plotting the result at each minute, rather the position in the league we would be if all games finished at that time. So basically if matches were only 10 minutes long we'd be doing very, very badly.

10 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

OOOHHHH new E361 stuff.

Just to clarify - it's not quite plotting the result at each minute, rather the position in the league we would be if all games finished at that time. So basically if matches were only 10 minutes long we'd be doing very, very badly.

Yeah, better than I put it. 

In a nutshell, we occasionally start matches really well but in general we are pretty poor for most of the first half. We are better in the second half, but substitutions may unsettle things for a while. 

That description could pretty much sum up most of the matches I have seen this season. So on that basis, it’s one of the most useful stats I have seen in a while.

Interesting work Dave, but not as interesting as the stat just given in the Leeds game.

Leeds have scored first away from home on 19 occasions, and won all 19.

That is some record.

12 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

In a nutshell, we occasionally start matches really well but in general we are pretty poor for most of the first half. We are better in the second half, but substitutions may unsettle things for a while. 

That description could pretty much sum up most of the matches I have seen this season. So on that basis, it’s one of the most useful stats I have seen in a while.

I think this ‘ conservative ‘ approach to our starts goes back to our early LJ teams when often we’d come flying , naively, out of the blocks and get beaten by an early goal.

LJ realised we needed to manage games better , keep it tight , nothing too adventurous until the time was right ie a mistake by the opposition.

In fact this has worked well for us . The problem we now have is that he wants to play exciting attacking football with two forwards in tandem but we don’t seem to have the quality to see it through .

I am sure that LJ believes in the romance of football,  style , the Roy of the Rovers come back from three nil down at half time with the centre back getting a hat trick and the team parading the coach around the ground on their shoulders to the acclaim of the supporters after a great and bold victory. I like him for that but sadly the game is filled with more pragmatic people who spoil it with cynicism and realism . 

We are not à  Liverpool or  a Real Madrid and need to play accordingly using what we have , well .

Archived