IGNORED

Millwall v Bristol City Match Day 36

Septic Peg

Happy Leap Year!

A nostalgia trip today.

The last time we played on a leap year day was 20 years ago. 29th February 2000. After getting rid of Tiny Penis, we were being managed by Tony Fawthrop. 

It was the Southern Area Final 1st Leg in the Auto Windscreens Shield (aka LDV Trophy, Johnstone's Paint Trophy, Check A Trade something or other etc etc) against Exeter City and we won 4-0. Goals were scored by Tony Thorpe, Joe Burnell, (fun factoid of the day - Joe followed in the footsteps of Dion "up the stairs to the bedrooms" Dublin and is now a property developer!) Peter Beadle and a certain flying Scotsman that lingers around AG to this day... ?

I've tried to find an online match report from that time, like the evil post or some such to no avail, but I did find this for a bargain £1.35. Just look at that kit folks. ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Football-Programme-BRISTOL-CITY-v-EXETER-CITY-Feb-2000-AWS/372866654988?hash=item56d095a30c:g:1vwAAOSwW1Nd4nnt

I did also find Scott's goal on YouTube.

The caption reads that it was the goal that sent us to Wembley. Again, this was in the 1st leg. In the second leg, it was a 1-1 draw that Beadle scored in. We went to OG Wembley v Stoke and THAT kit and... yeah... we know what happened...

So a leap year. Can we leap back after Tuesday's disaster? Today absolutely stinks of a draw. 1-1. They are crap at home and we are just... crap. However, a good kick up the backside and hopefully we can get that draw.

Big Frank is still off sick so no reunion there and also Mason Bennett on loan from Derby might get some stick because he's a bone head.

COYRS!

I really hope that we can turn around our poor form and performances this afternoon.  Tactics need to change and we need to be more adventurous.  The truth is that we don't look like scoring and we need to press much quicker and much harder.  We need to be more aggressive and show more fight and determination all over the pitch.

Whilst I always want to see us win, I would rather see us scoring or looking like we are trying to score than trying to grind out a 0-0 and abysmally failing yet again.  Results are important, but so is entertainment.

personally I feel that loaning out Taylor Moore was a mistake.  He is becoming a class act and seems to be the only one who can bring a ball out of defence.  Is it that our forwards are completely rubbish or is it that our negative tactics just make them look bad?

Lose again today and we can probably forget about the playoffs for another year.

We really need a win today. Despite recent form, we are decent away from home overall and often seem to do quite well in London on the road. Good travelling support should help.

Unfortunately, Millwall are the sort of plucky team that cause us issues. I really hope I'm wrong but could easily see us losing 2-1 or somehow limping to a 1-1 draw. 

Even a draw isn't good enough really, with Fulham coming up we need to win this one.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We really need a win today. Despite recent form, we are decent away from home overall and often seem to do quite well in London on the road. Good travelling support should help.

Unfortunately, Millwall are the sort of plucky team that cause us issues. I really hope I'm wrong but could easily see us losing 2-1 or somehow limping to a 1-1 draw. 

Even a draw isn't good enough really, with Fulham coming up we need to win this one.

We need a team performance today , tight knit, all playing for each other and determined to win and get our playoff spot back from the Knobenders. 

Will we get it ? 

Much is down to our coaching staff , they really need to earn their corn  or start perusing the jobs vacant list on the internet.

I know we can win as has been said before  anyone can beat anyone in this division. So let’s be having it and raise our blooming hopes once again.

:bruce_h4h:

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Also play Palmer behind the front 2 . We ain’t creating shit . 

You are wrong, that is exactly what we have recently been creating and bloody well too ! 

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Just have a go . Create some chances if we lose no problem. Can’t put up with much more dire negative shit 

In one mate, as long as we dont "set up" to hold on to a point, will need a stronger midfield.........and kick there butts

Really interested to see how we play / line-up today.

This is not a typical a MIllwall opponent.  It is hard-working, energetic, but apart from a big, ugly back three of Cooper, Williams and Pearce, it is a footballing side that can mix it.

This is not a Millwall midfield of the Terry Hurlock era.  It is Ryan Woods, the diminutive ginger midfielder formerly of ball-playing Brentford, who lost his mojo at Stoke (seems to have happened to a number of players!) and Jayson Molumby, a 20 year old on loan from BHA.  Flanked by Romeo, where for art thou Romeo....well he’ll be playing high-up as a RWB trying to squeeze our wide midfielders back and Murray Wallace, ok, he can be a bit physical.

Then they have a front three, who will stop any attempt to play out via our full-backs.  Bodvarsson will stop Hunt, Jed Wallace on Dasilva.  Bradshaw, the CF who was never quite good enough to be a transfer target for us, working between the two to close off the CBs, whilst Molumby pins to the nearest of our CMs.

With the ball, the three strikers are always on the half-turn when Woods or Molumby have the ball, but not adverse to the RCB hitting Bodvarsson on the diagonal.  They remind me a bit of Preston a couple of seasons back....that’s worrying.

I will be especially looking to see what Lee and his assistants have picked up from the home game.

There are huge gaps down the sides of the CBs in behind the high WBs.  We can get territory by playing those channels.  Pumping the ball to Fam in a 4141 is likely to be futile unless we can get runners close to him.

Time for Lee to earn his corn.  If the players aren’t executing what they were brilliant in on the training ground, either the players aren’t playing for him (I don’t think that) or the training itself isn't representative of match day.  It is this I’m quite worried about.

Safe journey travelling fans.  Let’s hope we see a result and performance akin to last season.

Good Afternoon from snowy Tallinn, Winter seems to have started at last and we have had more snow this week than all Winter, so perfect weather to listen to the game.  Unfortunately, unless LJ decides to pick a team who will perform, not to defending, but to pressing and attacking with more than one shot on target all game, then I don't see that anything will be taken from the New Den. Millwall are known to be a physical team and we all know how well we perform against a team like that. Anyway, lets hope the losing trend can be reversed and the boy's perform well and get the three points. So, Come On YOu Red's!

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Really interested to see how we play / line-up today.

This is not a typical a MIllwall opponent.  It is hard-working, energetic, but apart from a big, ugly back three of Cooper, Williams and Pearce, it is a footballing side that can mix it.

This is not a Millwall midfield of the Terry Hurlock era.  It is Ryan Woods, the diminutive ginger midfielder formerly of ball-playing Brentford, who lost his mojo at Stoke (seems to have happened to a number of players!) and Jayson Molumby, a 20 year old on loan from BHA.  Flanked by Romeo, where for art thou Romeo....well he’ll be playing high-up as a RWB trying to squeeze our wide midfielders back and Murray Wallace, ok, he can be a bit physical.

Then they have a front three, who will stop any attempt to play out via our full-backs.  Bodvarsson will stop Hunt, Jed Wallace on Dasilva.  Bradshaw, the CF who was never quite good enough to be a transfer target for us, working between the two to close off the CBs, whilst Molumby pins to the nearest of our CMs.

With the ball, the three strikers are always on the half-turn when Woods or Molumby have the ball, but not adverse to the RCB hitting Bodvarsson on the diagonal.  They remind me a bit of Preston a couple of seasons back....that’s worrying.

I will be especially looking to see what Lee and his assistants have picked up from the home game.

There are huge gaps down the sides of the CBs in behind the high WBs.  We can get territory by playing those channels.  Pumping the ball to Fam in a 4141 is likely to be futile unless we can get runners close to him.

Time for Lee to earn his corn.  If the players aren’t executing what they were brilliant in on the training ground, either the players aren’t playing for him (I don’t think that) or the training itself isn't representative of match day.  It is this I’m quite worried about.

Safe journey travelling fans.  Let’s hope we see a result and performance akin to last season.

Dave, by the way you have sourced Millwalls way of playing, perhaps you should be in the dressing room discussing tactics and not LJ, Dave for next Head Coach!!!!!

Millwall looked really class earlier this season and they'd really done their homework on us. If they play the same way today and based on our current slump, we'll get absolutely hammered.

Really hope LJ sets the correct tactics, formation and line up and the players really go for it today. We really need a change.

10 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Dave, by the way you have sourced Millwalls way of playing, perhaps you should be in the dressing room discussing tactics and not LJ, Dave for next Head Coach!!!!!

I’m sure ? they’ve got tonnes more info than me, and know exactly how to approach the game.

1 minute ago, Redpool said:

Honestly believe we are better going 451 or 433 with an extra man in midfield. No point having two up front if you can't even give them the service.

I wouldn’t be adverse to us going direct today.  Unless we are really compact with lots of fluid movement, we won’t be able to play from the back.

Archived