IGNORED

C.1978 v Everton Home

handsofclay

I recall when we played Everton at home in about 1978 that the match was the first in football history to be sponsored by an album. I remember tracks from the album  being played before the match. But I cannot remember what the album or the artists were who sponsored the game. Fleetwood Mac springs to mind, but I think I'm wrong and it was probably Sid Vicious and the Carrot Crunchers.

I think the game itself ended 2-2 with an Everton player with the surname Thomas getting sent off for calling the referee, Clive Thomas an ****ing cheat. 

10 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I recall when we played Everton at home in about 1978 that the match was the first in football history to be sponsored by an album. I remember tracks from the album  being played before the match. But I cannot remember what the album or the artists were who sponsored the game. Fleetwood Mac springs to mind, but I think I'm wrong and it was probably Sid Vicious and the Carrot Crunchers.

I think the game itself ended 2-2 with an Everton player with the surname Thomas getting sent off for calling the referee, Clive Thomas an ****ing cheat. 

Dave Thomas, formerly Burnley and QPR winger and England International. Good player.

Is that the game Norman scored and his boot flew off?

Yes I know the answer, although my question would have been "Who did we play when the first ever sponsored album in football history occurred at Ashton Gate?"  Oddly enough I remember the tracks of the album being played and the fact that it was a "first", more than anything about the match!  And the answer is "The Bride Stripped Bare" by Bryan Ferry (solo as opposed to a Roxy Music album).  

20 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

Yes I know the answer, although my question would have been "Who did we play when the first ever sponsored album in football history occurred at Ashton Gate?"  Oddly enough I remember the tracks of the album being played and the fact that it was a "first", more than anything about the match!  And the answer is "The Bride Stripped Bare" by Bryan Ferry (solo as opposed to a Roxy Music album).  

Bollocks we started it. thought it was Germany.

10 hours ago, handsofclay said:

Was it the Bride Stripped Bare - Bryan Ferry.  Couldn't remember the game but I remember that being a match sponsor.

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You sure it wasn’t against Newcastle? The mists of time dim the old memory though!

47 minutes ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Or was it Man City?.......i know it was a fk ....

His free kick was against Newcastle (East End)

Have tbh can’t remember his boot coming off and if it was same incident 

(Thanks @Norn Iron who’s just clarified it - boot off against Leeds ) ( and also scored a free kick v Newcastle )

Archived