IGNORED

The Similarities - Junior and Senior

Lew-T

37 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

I’m yet to see a good nomination for a replacement for LJ should he go. 

as others have said- be careful what you wish for, and don’t be surprised it’s an internal appointment to replace should LJ go. 

I’d say Warnock or McCarthy for 10 games. Short-term contract to end of Season with massive promotion bonus. 

Then review.

It’s all about balance of probabilities. LJ could pull yet another rabbit out and we go on another winning run. The problem is we seem to be at such a low ebb, is that likely? Even if we went on a run and somehow won the play-offs are we anywhere near a Premiership side? Are we likely ever to have a Premiership-ready side with LJ in charge? 

My view, throwing the dice now with an experienced manager just could provide the bounce to change our fortunes. 

Would be absolutely amazed if SL went for it though.

Whether SL is prepared to watch another season of mind-numbing dull, negative, anti-football is another matter. 

13 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Got to say, I’m seeing the similarities of the two a lot more in the last 12-18 months. The place has gone stale it’s starting to feel like the end of the GJ era again. The recent rumour of dressing room bust ups is the last piece to match. 

Poor performance after poor performance, grinding out the odd 1-0 win despite being outplayed for the majority of the match. Many clubs in the bag but failing to utilise them, and now the rumours are escalating of a dressing room bust up. 

What’s worse though is that ‘the clubs’ that GJ had at his disposal were far worse than what we have now.

Another similarity, for me, is the rotating transfers, lots of ins and outs but most are just like for like, not improving us and not creating stability.
There’s plenty of evidence: The fact he’s had to go back to Paterson who he bombed out and has already dropped all his January signings (within a month!) AND the Kasey Palmer thing.... I could go on....

38 minutes ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

I’m yet to see a good nomination for a replacement for LJ should he go. 

as others have said- be careful what you wish for, and don’t be surprised it’s an internal appointment to replace should LJ go. 

Adkins, Robins, Hughton, Schmidt, Poyet, Di Matteo, Sanchez Flores, McCarthy, McDermott. 

All options. 

Personally I would get Darren Moore off of Donny's hand. But thats just my heart, not my head. 

Did a cracking job at WBA considering, still dont understand why the sacked him. 

Has proven he can man manage, and doing well at former currently. 

Head says Roger Schmidt. Do I think we're that ambitious? No. 

Nice to dream tho. 

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I’d say Warnock or McCarthy for 10 games. Short-term contract to end of Season with massive promotion bonus. 

Then review.

It’s all about balance of probabilities. LJ could pull yet another rabbit out and we go on another winning run. The problem is we seem to be at such a low ebb, is that likely? Even if we went on a run and somehow won the play-offs are we anywhere near a Premiership side? Are we likely ever to have a Premiership-ready side with LJ in charge? 

My view, throwing the dice now with an experienced manager could, just could provide the bounce to change our fortunes. 

Whether SL is prepared to watch another season of mind-numbing dull, negative, anti-football is another matter. 

Agree.... it needs a quick shot in the arm and purposeful senses of direction. Warnock is the man but there are others...

2 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Adkins, Robins, Hughton, Schmidt, Poyet, Di Matteo, Sanchez Flores, McCarthy, McDermott. 

All options. 

Personally I would get Darren Moore off of Donny's hand. But thats just my heart, not my head. 

Did a cracking job at WBA considering, still dont understand why the sacked him. 

All good suggestions. 
Robins is interesting, I was thinking this yesterday.... ex-City and seems a bit of a Lansdown type. 

47 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Then review.

My view, throwing the dice now with an experienced manager just could provide the bounce to change our fortunes. 

I don't think he even watches it.

31 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

For me it would be out of Mark Robin's, Adkins, Jackett and Clough. Clough played some great stuff when he was at Derby and what he has achieved with burton is incredible. 

Cough is a great shout. cant imagine he’d be a yes man. Not unless something went dramatically wrong in the old genes!

4 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

I think people tend to forget that changing the manager is effectively rolling the dice. When you 7th or seen as a top 10 side, that roll of the dice give you less of a chance of improvement.   

I think it gives you far more chance of improvement when “you roll the dice” It will bring back some fighting spirit, players having chance to voice their opinion and wouldn’t it be good if a new manager and the playing squad had chance to be locked down for 24 hours for team building and honest and open communication. I think then we would have chance of being in a top six position and the confidence to play some great football in the play offs.

16 hours ago, Chivs said:

You've no idea what large sections of our support think.

Don't confuse the usual small vocal minority on OTIB with "large section of our support".

I tend to agree with you on what OTIB posters say and it not reflecting the general fan base.

As someone who generally supports LJ, this 'feels' different. I haven't gone to an away game for a long time, so the home form is all I'm seeing - there is no respite or feel good factor.

LJ has to sort out the home form because that is all the majority are seeing.

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Weren’t we comfortably mid table when GJ left in March 2010? Then we finished 10th that season ....

No we were well into bottom half when GJ was sacked, only finsihed 10th as results dramatically improved when Millen took over, under him we won 5 games and only lost once.

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

No we were well into bottom half when GJ was sacked, only finsihed 10th as results dramatically improved when Millen took over, under him we won 5 games and only lost once.

Just checked, we were in 15th place when GJ left us, 7 points from 7th place with 9 games to go. Wouldn’t call that “slipping towards relegation” on the face of it, but obviously if rumours were to be believed other bad stuff was going on behind the scenes, so it was probably time for him to go, just my opinion, cheers...

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Just checked, we were in 15th place when GJ left us, 7 points from 7th place with 9 games to go. Wouldn’t call that “slipping towards relegation” on the face of it, but obviously if rumours were to be believed other bad stuff was going on behind the scenes, so it was probably time for him to go, just my opinion, cheers...

OK we were 15th and on a poor run of results, I can remember everyone at the time thinking relegation was a distinct possibility, in any case it confirms my original point that it was a much different situation to our position now under LJ.

20 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Hardly a fault though. Not sure you'd go far in the game by believing you're not up to it.

Nothing wrong with confidence.

Agree,,nothing wrong with a bit of confidence - and that can sometimes transfer as arrogance..again,,no problem

But you've got to be able to back it up.

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Both are the best city managers we've had in my time watching city. (Since 94)

We regretted sacking GJ and we will regret sacking LJ, if Lansdown listens to the city fans again.

Depends on who replaces him and when!  He might not be sacked, might go somewhere else. 

12 hours ago, Fuber said:

All options. 

Head says Roger Schmidt. Do I think we're that ambitious? No. 

Nice to dream tho. 

SL paid what is reputedly the highest salary in world rugby to get Pat Lam for Bristol Bears.

I think the next manager/head coach may surprise a few (I have no inside info just a gut feeling that SL would go for it if LJ goes).

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think Gary knew his limitations, where he’d come from.

I’m not sure he did Dave. He is/was a one trick pony but couldn’t and still can’t  see it.

There are far more ‘tricks’ to LJ. He’s a student of the game and thinks far deeper about the beautiful game than he dad ever did.

That said - there are several similarities between them and sadly LJ has become more like his father particularly with the dreary and dull stuff he serves up especially at AG. He hasn’t always been like that tho. I can remember some decent stuff being played under LJ but unfortunately not this season.

However - all SL wants is promotion and access to the vast riches of the PL and he won’t give two shits about the shitty football we’re being subjected too..............:dunno:

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

We regretted sacking GJ and we will regret sacking LJ, if Lansdown listens to the city fans again.

In what way did we regret sacking GJ?

Don’t say getting relegated 3 years later.

10 minutes ago, David Brent said:

In hindsight obviously not. But I bet nobody was unhappy with his replacement (not Millen as caretaker)

Was the right time for him to go, much like it is now for LJ

Negativity from the fans made it time to go. We were a top half championship club under GJ - i dont think that would have changed.

I dont see how anyone can think its time for LJ to go. We finished 8th last season and are currently 7th. Were not one of the big teams in this division, were closer to being one of the smallest. We constantly lose our best players.

We have a great chance of the play-offs and were competing with clubs who are getting parchute payments which allow them to pay bigger wages. We are literally handicapped and our fans are stomping their feet talking about sacking the manager! Craziness.

Anyone in football outside the club, would look at the job LJ is doing and think he's doing a good job. I certainly do too.

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Negativity from the fans made it time to go. We were a top half championship club under GJ - i dont think that would have changed.

I dont see how anyone can think its time for LJ to go. We finished 8th last season and are currently 7th. Were not one of the big teams in this division, were closer to being one of the smallest. We constantly lose our best players.

We have a great chance of the play-offs and were competing with clubs who are getting parchute payments which allow them to pay bigger wages. We are literally handicapped and our fans are stomping their feet talking about sacking the manager! Craziness.

Anyone in football outside the club, would look at the job LJ is doing and think he's doing a good job. I certainly do too.

Id argue the only difference between when he took over and now is that his defence then were on about £25kpw between the 4 of them. 

Now its probably closer to £70kpw.

The attacking football is worse, the midfield have the same problem (even if Brownhill stayed). 

Teams around us have got worse, been smashed by FFP, or been mismanaged, i.e. Middelsbrough, Birmingham, Stoke, respectively as examples.

We have no identity since peaking two seasons ago. 

Sometimes you have to follow the club to get the full picture ala Villa with Bruce, McCarthy at Ipswich, Moore at WBA, and others. 

11 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Id argue the only difference between when he took over and now is that his defence then were on about £25kpw between the 4 of them. 

Now its probably closer to £70kpw.

The attacking football is worse, the midfield have the same problem (even if Brownhill stayed). 

Teams around us have got worse, been smashed by FFP, or been mismanaged, i.e. Middelsbrough, Birmingham, Stoke, respectively as examples.

We have no identity since peaking two seasons ago. 

Sometimes you have to follow the club to get the full picture ala Villa with Bruce, McCarthy at Ipswich, Moore at WBA, and others. 

That would be an awful argument to make.

Seeing as we were fighting relegation when he took over.

Now, we're easily a top half, play-off chasing team.

4 hours ago, Riaz said:

Only one ever got us promotion, 

21 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Only one ever got us promotion, 

Both Are the only managers who got us in the top half in this division in the last 29 years.

(Millen was manager when the 09-10 season end, but was clearly GJ's team and only been in the job a matter of weeks)

The last manager to get us a top half finish not called Johnson, at this level was Jimmy Lumsden in 1991.

So LJ aint doing too badly is he???

Archived