IGNORED

Are we not entirely fed up as a fan base yet?

WorleRed89

Yes we may be 7th, but there have been multiple times, such as yesterday, that we have been let off the hook. Didnt go, but watching the highlights it seems we only had one or 2 actual chances, the team was changed yet again, and yet again we are up against it. We have more than good enough players to control the ball against a millwall side who love to hit long. Quite frankly I think its embarresing and the fact we are 7th is becoming a boring argument. We are the worst team in this division to watch after spending a huge amount of money comparatively (yes, I know we had outgoings, but the board didnt have to spend as much as they did)

I really so think we have a team good enough for the top 6 at least, on paper we have a very good squad, but the coach is changing the team so much every single week so there is absolutely no cohesion, and why cant we pass the ball, you are going to concede goals if its wave after wave of opposition attack. I just simply cannot understand anyone that thinks this season is going well, at the moment I'm actually embarrassed to be a city fan. How bad is that. 

It will all depend on how people define success. Some people [and rightly so] say football is a results business and the fact of the matter is that Lee Johnson's results are currently better than 17 other teams this season.

However some people like myself want value for money. even with a season ticket a day watching city is costing upwards of £50 once you take everything into account. If i am spending that money [ i understand not all of it is spent on the actually tickets for the game] but i want value for it. If i am paying money to watch players who get a paid insane amounts of money to kick a ball around i want those players to be giving 100% I do believe they are not giving 100% as they actually don't believe in Johnson and it is always hard to motivate yourself if in any job [ regardless of earnings] if your manager is unrealistic and doesn't himself know what hes doing.

Im not quite at the stage where i am embarrassed to be a fan but i do feel this season the divide between to club [or brand as Steve Lansdown wants to call it] is much bigger than i ever remember it before. I will also say that i do not currently enjoy going to matches like i used too. As a football club i can see why the fans want a change but Lansdown will see it as a business and its hard to argue with numbers in business.

25 minutes ago, WorleRed89 said:

Yes we may be 7th, but there have been multiple times, such as yesterday, that we have been let off the hook. Didnt go, but watching the highlights it seems we only had one or 2 actual chances, the team was changed yet again, and yet again we are up against it. We have more than good enough players to control the ball against a millwall side who love to hit long. Quite frankly I think its embarresing and the fact we are 7th is becoming a boring argument. We are the worst team in this division to watch after spending a huge amount of money comparatively (yes, I know we had outgoings, but the board didnt have to spend as much as they did)

I really so think we have a team good enough for the top 6 at least, on paper we have a very good squad, but the coach is changing the team so much every single week so there is absolutely no cohesion, and why cant we pass the ball, you are going to concede goals if its wave after wave of opposition attack. I just simply cannot understand anyone that thinks this season is going well, at the moment I'm actually embarrassed to be a city fan. How bad is that. 

I’d be more embarrassed if I supported Middlesbrough.

Haha yes granted embarrassed is probably a stretch, but people perceive us as being better than we are because of our league position. LJ has clearly lost a lot of the dressing room and why bring in 3 players in january 2 of which are tall and then drop them against millwall  

My wife’s ST is going to be free for Fulham next week, so I stupidly invited a mate along for the match.  I’ll be apologising this week and warning him what to expect, to give him the opportunity to pull out of what is very likely to be a horror show.

What with the horrendous shirts and very likely non-performance on the pitch in front of the Sky cameras, I think the Club’s image is going to take a very big hit in this game and we may well all be very embarrassed and fed up by the end of the match.

I am frustrated as a City Fan. 

Weeks have been going by where we could have not only climbed into the playoff places as other teams have dipped in form....but consolidated our place there. 

However, no team has a season without a poor run of form nor the occasional upset (liverpool had this upset with Watford)....what frustrated me is...I know we can play better and it feels like we are throwing this season (I know that not to be the case).....I'm not sure that we are ready for the Prem yet....if we are miserable now....what would it be like being the whopping boys for 19 other teams over a season.....the fan base would be decimated.

I go to the games with hope in my heart, knowing that, eitherway we will be I'm the Championship next season.....just a few short years ago even this looked doubtful. 

At LJ's appointment all we wanted to do is remain in the championship and become a consolidated championship team.....LJ has achieved this....I don't really understand the arguments that we are worse off....admittedly I don't like the inconsistency in team selection or results......or the standard of play etc....but in a league full of teams that are suffering the same fate (minus Leeds/WBA).....its normal for fans to feel this way.

As we have had varying levels of success over the past few seasons our expectation of the team has risen.....the team is better on paper....we just need the team to find their collective heart and push on towards winning games....and whatever that means at the end of the season. 

Not miserable, frustrated but still loyal....without the Lows you cant appreciate the highs 

Do we always look to blame the manager or do we accept player power? 
Rumblings of LJ having a few arguments but isn’t that what you want from a coach? 
People talking of sulking players. Get over it, take some criticism! 

I watched Huddersfield and the 5/6 that were dropped - I thought was the right call. Back to basics for me was the correct move and would have taken a point before travelling yesterday.

I think our league position is about right for where we are as a team. The January window balls’d up a really good fighting spirit and clean sheets.

We all asked for a marquee signing - BUT we also sold a marquee player in Brownhill. It’s going to take time to fill his boots. I hate the January transfer window! 

7 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Rumblings of LJ having a few arguments but isn’t that what you want from a coach? 

I watched Huddersfield and the 5/6 that were dropped - I thought was the right call. Back to basics for me was the correct move and would have taken a point before travelling yesterday.

I think our league position is about right for where we are as a team. The January window balls’d up a really good fighting spirit and clean sheets.

We all asked for a marquee signing - BUT we also sold a marquee player in Brownhill. It’s going to take time to fill his boots. I hate the January transfer window! 

So we should expect the same eleven versus Fulham then, the bad eggs and under-performers left out.  These are the new “trusted ones”.

Fantastic, at last we are gonna see a coherent system and selection.

Ok, I’m being facetious (not having a go at you either, just the situation).

10 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

At LJ's appointment all we wanted to do is remain in the championship and become a consolidated championship team.....LJ has achieved this....I don't really understand the arguments that we are worse off

I dont think its really people say we are worse off.  Just more of a case that with the investment that Lansdown has put in and the progress we are making off the field, finishing 10 places higher does not really seem like great success or value for Lansdowns money.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So we should expect the same eleven versus Fulham then, the bad eggs and under-performers left out.  These are the new “trusted ones”.

Fantastic, at last we are gonna see a coherent system and selection.

Ok, I’m being facetious (not having a go at you either, just the situation).

I would say so Yes - same 11. Not sure who you could drop after yesterday.

2 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

I would say so Yes - same 11. Not sure who you could drop after yesterday.

Sorry, I wasn’t suggesting you would do anything different....I’m wondering what LJ will do.  He’s laid his cards on the table yesterday with his team selection, allegedly stamping his authority on his squad in his post-match interview (according to Ali Durden)....so being as principled and picking his team as if his daughter’s life depended on it....we should see the same 11 trusted players.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, I wasn’t suggesting you would do anything different....I’m wondering what LJ will do.  He’s laid his cards on the table yesterday with his team selection, allegedly stamping his authority on his squad in his post-match interview (according to Ali Durden)....so being as principled and picking his team as if his daughter’s life depended on it....we should see the same 11 trusted players.

Think he’s backed himself into a corner personally 

1 hour ago, WorleRed89 said:

"We may be 7th,"
"Didn't go, but watching the highlights "
"Quite frankly I think its embarresing "
"The fact we are 7th is becoming a boring argument. "
"We are the worst team in this division to watch "
"I really so think we have a team good enough for the top 6 "

"I just simply cannot understand anyone that thinks this season is going well"

"I'm actually embarrassed to be a city fan. "

"How bad is that. "

-3points?.

image.thumb.png.39423ad3b7cb0e354072efa7a22451ef.png

17 minutes ago, WorleRed89 said:

Haha yes granted embarrassed is probably a stretch, but people perceive us as being better than we are because of our league position. LJ has clearly lost a lot of the dressing room and why bring in 3 players in january 2 of which are tall and then drop them against millwall  

Nothing new it's all repetitive.... Like I stated a while back it not a happy camp its not a team of winners that believe in the manager. In a game that was winnable with another chance to get a foothold back in the top 6 he drops KP the play maker he bought, NE the best crosser / assist we've had in a while to change a game, and NW a complete waste of another 5million quid to sit on the bench you really couldn't write it. 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I hate it when he uses this expression. Totally inappropriate for the subject matter, if you ask me. But i suppose it's up to him whether he wants to say things like that.

I'm just not keen tbh.

35 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Until such time as Chairmen are happy to forego the value of a player and sack them for their performances, I'm afraid we have no choice but to blame the manager (over the medium to long term) for players not pulling their weight or underperforming. 

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

I hate it when he uses this expression. Totally inappropriate for the subject matter, if you ask me. But i suppose it's up to him whether he wants to say things like that.

I'm just not keen tbh.

Yes, smacks of "this bit you have to believe as I really mean this bit, whereas I've been lying before". 

23 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think he’s backed himself into a corner personally 

That’s another way of saying it.

As the great Paul Weller sang:

What you see is what you get
You've made your bed, you better lie in it
You choose your leaders and place your trust
As their lies wash you down and their promises rust”

The bold bit in particular, but the rest suits my feelings too.

We are obviously in a bit of a slump at the moment like a few others - if it were just us, then we wouldn't be 7th and teams would be pulling away from us.

TBH I've personally not heard anyone say that things are going well just because we are 7th.

What I have heard people say is that we should hang on in there until/in case the form improves. There were some indications of that yesterday at Millwall which was 100% better than Huddersfield (not that it would take much for that to happen). Yes, the defence once again came under pressure in the second half and that was due, imo, to being a man light in midfield for most of the game - Paterson who started brightly for 15 minutes then hid for the rest of the game. Luckily Nagy and Smith had good games despite the odd misplaced pass or it could have been worse.  Kalas (who looked back to his near best) and Baker (pragmatic as always) suited the long ball game from Millwall.  I didn't see it as a bad game from City and its a decent away point.

Chatting to a couple of Millwall fans after the game and they were saying they usually murder teams at home in terms of chances made but can't finish them off and our game was no different aside from the first half. They did mention Kalas and Baker being stand out centre backs. 

Embarrassed to be a City fan ? There have been times that have been far worse and at a lower level than what we are seeing now.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-transcript-lee-johnson-3902703

You've made 87 changes this season - Lee Bowyer is the only manager that's made more. Is it a case that those players have shown you that if they perform like that, you'll keep them?

Yeah, absolutely. You don't want to make those changes. The starting point is that you won't believe what's happened to us this year; there's three books, let alone one, and one day, maybe in five years' time, that'll all come out.

But there's been so many circumstances and as a manager, you want to keep a consistent shape, a consistent starting XI and if somebody bursts through that, it's because they've ousted the other individual. You've only got to look at today - Bentley is out through injury, Korey Smith comes back from injury, Pereira comes back in, (Andi) Weimann comes back in.

I don't know if anyone saw his face today - have a look at the pictures on his face as he had some tooth infection and it's out there.

We were trying to get him to say to the referee that he'd had an elbow in the last five minutes! He wasn't at his best-looking today. We carry on. 

???

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-transcript-lee-johnson-3902703

You've made 87 changes this season - Lee Bowyer is the only manager that's made more. Is it a case that those players have shown you that if they perform like that, you'll keep them?

Yeah, absolutely. You don't want to make those changes. The starting point is that you won't believe what's happened to us this year; there's three books, let alone one, and one day, maybe in five years' time, that'll all come out.

But there's been so many circumstances and as a manager, you want to keep a consistent shape, a consistent starting XI and if somebody bursts through that, it's because they've ousted the other individual. You've only got to look at today - Bentley is out through injury, Korey Smith comes back from injury, Pereira comes back in, (Andi) Weimann comes back in.

I don't know if anyone saw his face today - have a look at the pictures on his face as he had some tooth infection and it's out there.

We were trying to get him to say to the referee that he'd had an elbow in the last five minutes! He wasn't at his best-looking today. We carry on. 

???

Yes I heard this interview and wondered what this bit was about - he’s alluded to this before I recall:

”The starting point is that you won't believe what's happened to us this year; there's three books, let alone one, and one day, maybe in five years' time, that'll all come out.”

It can’t be just about injuries as that is already in the open. Even Afobe’s family tragedy - which I am sure will have impacted the wider squad as they appear close to him - is also in the public domain. So what is it? Perhaps there’s other personal stuff going on that is impacting form? Or perhaps disagreement on the departures (e.g. Pack and Brownhill)? I don’t think it is just an excuse by LJ.

45 minutes ago, eardun said:

Yes I heard this interview and wondered what this bit was about - he’s alluded to this before I recall:

”The starting point is that you won't believe what's happened to us this year; there's three books, let alone one, and one day, maybe in five years' time, that'll all come out.”

It can’t be just about injuries as that is already in the open. Even Afobe’s family tragedy - which I am sure will have impacted the wider squad as they appear close to him - is also in the public domain. So what is it? Perhaps there’s other personal stuff going on that is impacting form? Or perhaps disagreement on the departures (e.g. Pack and Brownhill)? I don’t think it is just an excuse by LJ.

There's nothing. 

Hes being a drama queen to mask his shortcomings. 

6 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

There's nothing. 

Hes being a drama queen to mask his shortcomings. 

I think there is something in the sense that there’s something clearing bothering him. Whether he is making more of it than he should is a different Q of course. And whether that is influencing team selection more than it should would also be an interesting Q.

4 minutes ago, eardun said:

I think there is something in the sense that there’s something clearing bothering him. Whether he is making more of it than he should is a different Q of course. And whether that is influencing team selection more than it should would also be an interesting Q.

I'll qualify. There's nothing that he doesn't have the authority to control as manager. 

With him suggesting there is something that might come out in a few years, he's trying to have a us believe that he's working under a scenario that there's little he can do about. 

I'm not buying it. 

26 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I'll qualify. There's nothing that he doesn't have the authority to control as manager. 

With him suggesting there is something that might come out in a few years, he's trying to have a us believe that he's working under a scenario that there's little he can do about. 

I'm not buying it. 

Spot on CR. Years ago there was a programme on the TV called 'Call My Bluff '..............he would have made a good contestant. 

On 01/03/2020 at 11:34, MelksRed said:

I am frustrated as a City Fan. 

Weeks have been going by where we could have not only climbed into the playoff places as other teams have dipped in form....but consolidated our place there. 

However, no team has a season without a poor run of form nor the occasional upset (liverpool had this upset with Watford)....what frustrated me is...I know we can play better and it feels like we are throwing this season (I know that not to be the case).....I'm not sure that we are ready for the Prem yet....if we are miserable now....what would it be like being the whopping boys for 19 other teams over a season.....the fan base would be decimated.

I go to the games with hope in my heart, knowing that, eitherway we will be I'm the Championship next season.....just a few short years ago even this looked doubtful. 

At LJ's appointment all we wanted to do is remain in the championship and become a consolidated championship team.....LJ has achieved this....I don't really understand the arguments that we are worse off....admittedly I don't like the inconsistency in team selection or results......or the standard of play etc....but in a league full of teams that are suffering the same fate (minus Leeds/WBA).....its normal for fans to feel this way.

As we have had varying levels of success over the past few seasons our expectation of the team has risen.....the team is better on paper....we just need the team to find their collective heart and push on towards winning games....and whatever that means at the end of the season. 

Not miserable, frustrated but still loyal....without the Lows you cant appreciate the highs 

Stop talking sense !

On 01/03/2020 at 10:53, WorleRed89 said:

So we are just outside the top 6, where you think we should be, but you're embarrasssed to be a City fan?

Let's hope we win on Saturday and Preston lose to QPR, just to save you any further embarrassment.

Can you imagine being a Boro or Stoke fan right now?

13 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

So we are just outside the top 6, where you think we should be, but you're embarrasssed to be a City fan?

Let's hope we win on Saturday and Preston lose to QPR, just to save you any further embarrassment.

Can you imagine being a Boro or Stoke fan right now?

Yeah we are just outside the top 6 but playing the style of football seen in league 2. I understand that its a results business to a degree, but if you think we deserve to be where we are then you are naive imo. We have had many 'lucky' results and have got lucky when we have dropped points that the majority of the teams around us have done the same. I love city and have said above that being embarrassed was the wrong wording, but although we are the highest we have been in terms of if we finish 7th, there is a trend of looking promising and then tailing off, this time the board have said here you go Lee have some good january reinforcements and he has dropped them all and playing the worse style of football i have ever seen in my 15 years of going. 

But nah we are 7th mate so all good no worries yeah

I think what attributes to being fed up is what we hear from the club. We hear we want Europe in 5 years. We hear we are a premier league club in training. We hear we have an identity of high energy and “busy bees.” We hear we want to be a playoff side. This all comes from the club yet most of it is not true. Ok we are in with a shout of playoffs(I don’t believe for a second we will make it because of performances) but the rest of it does not need to be said. The club have built the expectations not us(or at least majority on the club). 

We aren’t close to Europe what 3 years on. We aren’t near a premier league club(I don’t think anyone believes we could stay up if we went up as it stands and that is part of buying young and developing). We don’t have an identity and if we do it is not high energy. This is a large reason why I am fed up. That and the constant rising of the wage bill. Not because we are spending it but because we largely waste it. If we had kept a smaller wage bill you would expect lesser performances but it seems the more we pay the less we play. 

There are a lot of things right with the club. It is moving forward all the time off the pitch. I think if the club would chill out on its claims and ambitions we as a fanbase would be a bit more patient. 

8 minutes ago, WorleRed89 said:

Yeah we are just outside the top 6 but playing the style of football seen in league 2. I understand that its a results business to a degree, but if you think we deserve to be where we are then you are naive imo. We have had many 'lucky' results and have got lucky when we have dropped points that the majority of the teams around us have done the same. I love city and have said above that being embarrassed was the wrong wording, but although we are the highest we have been in terms of if we finish 7th, there is a trend of looking promising and then tailing off, this time the board have said here you go Lee have some good january reinforcements and he has dropped them all and playing the worse style of football i have ever seen in my 15 years of going. 

But nah we are 7th mate so all good no worries yeah

The problem here is, we could be mid-table playing some really good football but not gaining enough points.

How many here would be happy to support LJ if that were the case?

Archived