IGNORED

What’s a fraction of our wage bill?

Tinmans Love Child

I’ve read a lot of posts about the likes of Millwall, Brentford, Preston and whoever else who are doing much better than us with a ‘fraction’ of our wage bill, but I wondered if somebody can actually quantify what that means?

I thought our salaries were around £15k per week for the top earners.  So if we are saying other clubs top earners are on a ‘fraction’ of our top earners, Im assuming by a fraction we mean a lot less, so are we talking 20% of our salaries I.e. top earners at say Millwall on £3k per week?  That seems very low for Championship, even at the so called smaller clubs.

Therefore is it just a myth, is the fraction actually a lot higher and therefore making a point about it is mid-leading or do they have smaller squads but pay those individuals more than average?

51 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I’ve read a lot of posts about the likes of Millwall, Brentford, Preston and whoever else who are doing much better than us with a ‘fraction’ of our wage bill, but I wondered if somebody can actually quantify what that means?

I thought our salaries were around £15k per week for the top earners.  So if we are saying other clubs top earners are on a ‘fraction’ of our top earners, Im assuming by a fraction we mean a lot less, so are we talking 20% of our salaries I.e. top earners at say Millwall on £3k per week?  That seems very low for Championship, even at the so called smaller clubs.

Therefore is it just a myth, is the fraction actually a lot higher and therefore making a point about it is mid-leading or do they have smaller squads but pay those individuals more than average?

When this issue is raised I am pretty sure people are referring to clubs' total wage bilsl.

I came across this table, that was  produced at the beginning of the season based  on clubs' latest sets of accounts at that time, which was designed to show where clubs would expect to finish the season based on wage budget alone.

While these figures seem to bear out the argument that Brentford are outperforming us, as they are operating on only 63% of our wage budget, they would also seem to comfier that as a club we are overachieving based on our wage budget compared to that of al other championship clubs.

The final Championship table predicted based on wage bills

1: Stoke City £94.2m

2: West Brom £92.2m

3: Swansea City £90.7m

4: Huddersfield £62.6m

5: Fulham £54.3m

6: Middlesbrough £48.7m

7: Cardiff City £48.4m

8: Derby £40.4m

9: Birmingham £38.5m

10: Reading £35.3m

11: Leeds £31.3m

12: Hull £31.1m

13: QPR £30.6m

14: Sheff Wed £29.3m

15: Nottm Forest £27.7m

16: Bristol City £27.2m

17: Brentford £17.1m

18: Balckburn £16.7m

19: Preston £15m

20: Millwall £13.3m

21: Wigan £11.7m

22: Barnsley £10.6m

23: Charlton £10.2m

24: Luton £6.2m

Figures based upon the most recent accounts published

7 minutes ago, downendcity said:

When this issue is raised I am pretty sure people are referring to clubs' total wage bilsl.

I came across this table, that was  produced at the beginning of the season based  on clubs' latest sets of accounts at that time, which was designed to show where clubs would expect to finish the season based on wage budget alone.

While these figures seem to bear out the argument that Brentford are outperforming us, as they are operating on only 63% of our wage budget, they would also seem to comfier that as a club we are overachieving based on our wage budget compared to that of al other championship clubs.

The final Championship table predicted based on wage bills

1: Stoke City £94.2m

2: West Brom £92.2m

3: Swansea City £90.7m

4: Huddersfield £62.6m

5: Fulham £54.3m

6: Middlesbrough £48.7m

7: Cardiff City £48.4m

8: Derby £40.4m

9: Birmingham £38.5m

10: Reading £35.3m

11: Leeds £31.3m

12: Hull £31.1m

13: QPR £30.6m

14: Sheff Wed £29.3m

15: Nottm Forest £27.7m

16: Bristol City £27.2m

17: Brentford £17.1m

18: Balckburn £16.7m

19: Preston £15m

20: Millwall £13.3m

21: Wigan £11.7m

22: Barnsley £10.6m

23: Charlton £10.2m

24: Luton £6.2m

Figures based upon the most recent accounts published

Bear in mind those figures are from 2018 (Appreciate these are the latest available figures)

A Fair bit will have changed , including ours by a fair bit I’d suggest 

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

That's way off, some of our 'top' players were getting that 5+ years ago.

Apparently Kalas' deal put his wages nearer 40k a week.

5 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Interesting, I think I take issue with some using our playing budget as a stick to beat us with when we dont beat Millwall, yet don’t mention it when we beat Derby, QPR, Cardiff, Hull, Reading etc.  Surely you can’t have it both ways?

That is fair.

If as per @downendcity’s table league position was determined by wage bill, then you could argue we are doing rather well.  But part of the reason is that several clubs have been poorly run  that is not our fault though!

The counter to it is “why are Brentford and Preston doing a smidge better on less resources”?  That’s a league position related question.  You then overlay that question with “together with an identity and playing style”.  

23 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bear in mind those figures are from 2018 (Appreciate these are the latest available figures)

A Fair bit will have changed , including ours by a fair bit I’d suggest 

I did mention that these were the latest figures available at the time. Our wage budget will have increased and suspect so will that of other clubs like Brentford. At the same time some clubs'        (mainly relegated premier league clubs) wage bills will have reduced as they get rid of big earners and those of promoted clubs will probably have increased.

While the latest figures will probably indicate that we are still overachieving, compared to the championship as a whole and based on wage bill, it doesn't address issues such as the level and quality of our performances through much of this season. That's a trickier question, about getting the most out of our squad, but even so,  with the championship being very tight around us, it does show that even though we might not like the way LJ is doing it just now, we are actually competing at the level of clubs with substantially more resource than us. 

That there are also a  number of clubs with substantially more resource, in terms of wage budget, but who are performing massively worse than us, does perhaps point to what many fans suspect, i.e. it doesn't matter the quality or value  of players in a squad, it is the ability of the manager/coach to translate that quality into quality and effectiveness of performance on the pitch that really makes the biggest difference.

Although this year we (Leeds) are closer to £40m we still have one of the lower Wage/Turnover ratios.

As I’ve been saying all season, Bielsa and his team may cost a lot but it means we save on wages AND he adds value to players.

Get a decent coach in!

Archived