IGNORED

Will City ever make the Premier League?

reddogkev

What's your gut answer to this question?  It frustrates me that the Premier League has been around since the early 90's and we've only had one chance of making it.

Let's put the dispute over our manager to one side and look at the future for City.  With the restraints of FFP and the apparent need to sell our most talented players, are we ever likely to be promoted from the Championship?

I know we appear to be a competitive team, often pushing for the top six, but it seems we lack the mentality and genuine ambition required to fight for promotion - if so, we will ever have this missing ingredient?

My fear is City will always lack the ruthless mind-set and steely resolve of winners - everything seems too cosy and comfortable for the players; even starting at the top with SL - always seems like a wonderful, friendly man who is content with City performing well in the Championship and drawing high attendances. 

For me, the change begins when we stop selling our best players, the board demand they stay to fight for success, and then announce an expectation of making the top two.

The charge for promotion has to start with the owner and the board, and then work it's way down to every single member of staff, and of course the fans.  We need to play our part by making Ashton Gate hostile - something which seems nigh on impossible with the family feel to the stadium and the uninspiring standard of football.

What're your thoughts?  It's easy to say of course we will, such things are inevitable, and I expect a few people to say we have to start with sacking LJ, but what if some real pressure was put upon him to turn us into a team of constant winners? 

Considering this further, there's also the gloomy possibility that our bubble could burst and we could at some stage drop into the bottom of the Championship.  I guess we have no right to expect to hang around the top seven places for ever.

It took Alan Dicks 9 years to get promoted to the top division.

We've only been here in this division 2015 and we have improved league position and points every season.

Off the pitch, in that time, the club has grown massively.

Its coming, be patient.

I hope not, premier league is crap. So much money and bias towards a few teams.

Rather watch City play Oldham/Notts County/Bradford level teams each week and watch an exciting game of football than become the next bournemouth or Brighton of the Premier League.

People may say I lack ambition, but I'm not a player or a manager I'm simply a fan. I have no influence on what happens on the pitch and will not be due any praise or credit for the achievement of those associated with Bristol City.

I'd rather watch competitive football each week than watch us get hammered each week by a load of over paid Agueros.

Personal preference, but I enjoy 3pm matches on a Saturday and supporting a club where I can get affordable tickets to watch close entertaining matches.

The best seasons are the ones where you achieve a promotion or cup success. The journey is better than the end destination and I feel if we ever do reach the Premier League the excitement around the possibility of gaining that lucrative promotion will definitely overshadow a season of getting battered each week by Man City/Arsenal/Liverpool

4 minutes ago, City18 said:

The best seasons are the ones where you achieve a promotion or cup success. The journey is better than the end destination and I feel if we ever do reach the Premier League the excitement around the possibility of gaining that lucrative promotion will definitely overshadow a season of getting battered each week by Man City/Arsenal/Liverpool

It can become depressing watching your team getting battered but on the plus side if you can become a yo yo club like Norwich or West Brom there's millions of moneŷ to go back into your club 

21 minutes ago, City18 said:

Rather watch City play Oldham/Notts County/Bradford level teams each week and watch an exciting game of football than become the next bournemouth or Brighton of the Premier League.

People may say I lack ambition, but I'm not a player or a manager I'm simply a fan. I have no influence on what happens on the pitch and will not be due any praise or credit for the achievement of those associated with Bristol City.

I'd rather watch competitive football each week than watch us get hammered each week by a load of over paid Agueros.

Personal preference, but I enjoy 3pm matches on a Saturday and supporting a club where I can get affordable tickets to watch close entertaining matches.

Do you know what, that's an interesting answer, and you might be right - especially with VAR killing goals and entertainment.  My favourite 2 seasons watching City in the past 29 years have both been promotion seasons from League one - so you may have a point!

32 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

What's your gut answer to this question?  It frustrates me that the Premier League has been around since the early 90's and we've only had one chance of making it.

Let's put the dispute over our manager to one side and look at the future for City.  With the restraints of FFP and the apparent need to sell our most talented players, are we ever likely to be promoted from the Championship?

I know we appear to be a competitive team, often pushing for the top six, but it seems we lack the mentality and genuine ambition required to fight for promotion - if so, we will ever have this missing ingredient?

My fear is City will always lack the ruthless mind-set and steely resolve of winners - everything seems too cosy and comfortable for the players; even starting at the top with SL - always seems like a wonderful, friendly man who is content with City performing well in the Championship and drawing high attendances. 

For me, the change begins when we stop selling our best players, the board demand they stay to fight for success, and then announce an expectation of making the top two.

The charge for promotion has to start with the owner and the board, and then work it's way down to every single member of staff, and of course the fans.  We need to play our part by making Ashton Gate hostile - something which seems nigh on impossible with the family feel to the stadium and the uninspiring standard of football.

What're your thoughts?  It's easy to say of course we will, such things are inevitable, and I expect a few people to say we have to start with sacking LJ, but what if some real pressure was put upon him to turn us into a team of constant winners? 

Statistically, yes if football lasts forever we will make the Prem.

Things are a bit dodgy now but you never know what's around the corner. Upon relegation to the Championship in 2013 with all those useless players in huge contracts did we imagine that 7 seasons later we'd be in a new Ashton Gate, getting 20,000+ crowds, close to playoffs with a total revamp of how we recruit players?

Did Sheffield United fans imagine they'd be 8th in the Prem a few seasons later after they were relegated to League 1?

Did Leicester fans ever think they'd WIN the Prem after relegation to League 1?

I could go on and on.. point is, you never know what's around the corner in Football. We could still even go up this season. I think you need to look at the bigger picture.

25 minutes ago, City18 said:

The problem with your scenario is that, sooner or later, an average mid table Championship side without ambitions is more likely to drop than stay where they are.

OK, then back to Division Three where we are a big fish in the little pond. Where we were when I started out in 1950!!!

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The problem with your scenario is that, sooner or later, an average mid table Championship side without ambitions is more likely to drop than stay where they are.

OK, then back to Division Three where we are a big fish in the little pond. Where we were when I started out in 1950!!!

As a club you have everything in place but so do many other clubs in the championship who have great history but still can't get back in the Premiership. Momentum is key so when on a roll it's down to your chairman to spend big along with a manager that you trust then you will have a chance

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Statistically, yes if football lasts forever we will make the Prem.

Things are a bit dodgy now but you never know what's around the corner. Upon relegation to the Championship in 2013 with all those useless players in huge contracts did we imagine that 7 seasons later we'd be in a new Ashton Gate, getting 20,000+ crowds, close to playoffs with a total revamp of how we recruit players?

Did Sheffield United fans imagine they'd be 8th in the Prem a few seasons later after they were relegated to League 1?

Did Leicester fans ever think they'd WIN the Prem after relegation to League 1?

I could go on and on.. point is, you never know what's around the corner in Football. We could still even go up this season. I think you need to look at the bigger picture.

You are forgetting one thing. Their head coaches could step up when required.

I really dont think it will happen this season for most of the games i never feel like iam watching a team  challenging for promotion we look and play more like a team fighting relagation on the plus side we are still incredibly in the mix and if junior should stumble upon a winning combo who knows what could happen all the teams around us seem to be struggling to so lets all get behind the manager and team and see where it takes us and no iam not a massive fan of lj coyr

43 minutes ago, Riaz said:

It took Alan Dicks 9 years to get promoted to the top division.

We've only been here in this division 2015 and we have improved league position and points every season.

Off the pitch, in that time, the club has grown massively.

Its coming, be patient.

Do you think there were calls of Dicks out?

I think we will at some point in the future. However I would like to able to stay up with the right structure in place and not be like WBA a yo-yo club. Not good enough to stay up and bouncing back and forth due to parachute payments. Always believe!

6 minutes ago, City oz said:

You are forgetting one thing. Their head coaches could step up when required.

Yeah but I'm not necessarily saying we will stick with the current management for the next few years - just that we've got no idea what will happen as football changes so quickly. 

As long as the powers to be have it rigged to look after the ex prem league clubs with parachute payments it makes it very difficult for others to compete, but not impossible. With selling players we are gradually increasing the quality of the squad overall and then may get to the stage we don't have to.

Like to go up when we look ready with a dominant championship team that would not get emabasressent in the PL, no fun watching you team get thumped every weak and seeing if you will break Derbys low points record

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I would hope so, probably not with Johnson though.

The key is for our 20k+ support to remain in tact. Next season we could be a top 6 club on attendances and resources (exc parachute).

Why would you exclude the parachute payments??

40 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Now that is gloomy!

True though!   I'm 75 this August and apart from the years of the old Div 1, which were great, but look at the price it nearly cost us, It's been yo-yo League 1/Championship, in the last 20- 30 years or so.  I don't think I will ever see City in the Prem in my lifetime, the club is too cosy and despite what SL says, I don't think the ambition is there. Such a shame, even though we all know it wouldn't last long, I would love to see them there, even if only for one season. Then I can go a happy man!

Archived