IGNORED

Will City ever make the Premier League?

reddogkev

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Well we can't hope to compete on resources with the parachute clubs but if we are near the top of the rest then it certainly stands us in good stead.

Yes i agree, but we because of parachute payments, we are even near the top 6 in terms of resources etc.

Yes. I think we will make the premiership. Just no idea when.

Against a background of having to sell players in order to keep the show on the road and not having parachute payments, whoever is in the dugout when this goal is met is going to have an almost impossible job keeping a newly promoted side up. The only way it looks sustainable is to accept that for a few years you might have to yo-yo between the two divisions until you have a squad far too good for the Championship and good enough that you don't finish in the arse end of the Prem.

A whole new challenge.

Is LJ the man to get us there? Not sure. The game seems overly complicated with him in charge, the identity we had during our cup run 3 years back is a distant memory and the days of letting the opposition worry about playing us are long gone as he seems convinced that picking a side to try not to lose to the opposition is the way forward. All of this leads to a dull and uninspiring spectacle.

That said, would another manager get more entertaining displays out of the squad we have? I'm not sure they would do. The strength of the squad seems stronger than it was 3 years back, but that is the entire squad. What we seem to be lacking are those who can produce a bit of magic to change a game - effectively, the players sold.

48 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Statistically, yes if football lasts forever we will make the Prem.

Things are a bit dodgy now but you never know what's around the corner. Upon relegation to the Championship in 2013 with all those useless players in huge contracts did we imagine that 7 seasons later we'd be in a new Ashton Gate, getting 20,000+ crowds, close to playoffs with a total revamp of how we recruit players?

Did Sheffield United fans imagine they'd be 8th in the Prem a few seasons later after they were relegated to League 1?

Did Leicester fans ever think they'd WIN the Prem after relegation to League 1?

I could go on and on.. point is, you never know what's around the corner in Football. We could still even go up this season. I think you need to look at the bigger picture.

Relegation to the Championship in 2013? did I somehow miss our promotion to the premier League?

We might this season. Not sure with lee we will this season. But time will tell if we do. I feel this season is a very poor championship and if we dont then steve and mark will need to look at themselves. Far to loyal and to friendly with the first team coach  and his coaches. Its great having a good working relationship but for me that is as far as it goes. Before the usual people on here run me down for having a say. It is only my opinion 

19 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Who cares? Less games, glory hunters crawling out of woodwork, VAR, defeats, endless ridiculous kick off times, very limited away tickets (Liverpool have given Bournemouth just over 900) etc. 

Don't forget the bit before all that, where we win 25 plus games, have actual shots at the other team's keeper like, almost every week (many of which will escape said keeper and bulge the net), finish second or first or win and are promoted at Wembley in front of 80,000, do an open top bus tour around Bristol with, like, actual people stood by the road waving and cheering, then spend the summer on the lash giving it the big 'unun to any sag we have the pleasure of knowing/being acquainted to/passing.

What's not to like?

15 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

The sad thing is when comparing clubs with much less resources than us. Let's say:

Blackburn

QPR

Reading

And clubs with presumably similar resources:

Birmingham

Middlesbrough

Will they get back to the Prem before us? Most would say yes.

I would add Portsmouth to that first list.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

What's your gut answer to this question?  It frustrates me that the Premier League has been around since the early 90's and we've only had one chance of making it.

Let's put the dispute over our manager to one side and look at the future for City.  With the restraints of FFP and the apparent need to sell our most talented players, are we ever likely to be promoted from the Championship?

I know we appear to be a competitive team, often pushing for the top six, but it seems we lack the mentality and genuine ambition required to fight for promotion - if so, we will ever have this missing ingredient?

My fear is City will always lack the ruthless mind-set and steely resolve of winners - everything seems too cosy and comfortable for the players; even starting at the top with SL - always seems like a wonderful, friendly man who is content with City performing well in the Championship and drawing high attendances. 

For me, the change begins when we stop selling our best players, the board demand they stay to fight for success, and then announce an expectation of making the top two.

The charge for promotion has to start with the owner and the board, and then work it's way down to every single member of staff, and of course the fans.  We need to play our part by making Ashton Gate hostile - something which seems nigh on impossible with the family feel to the stadium and the uninspiring standard of football.

What're your thoughts?  It's easy to say of course we will, such things are inevitable, and I expect a few people to say we have to start with sacking LJ, but what if some real pressure was put upon him to turn us into a team of constant winners? 

You have to sell your best players or you end up with players resenting being at the club and potential signings being put off coming... and failing ffp...

15 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

The sad thing is when comparing clubs with much less resources than us. Let's say:

Blackburn

QPR

Reading

And clubs with presumably similar resources:

Birmingham

Middlesbrough

Will they get back to the Prem before us? Most would say yes.

If you get the team right you have a chance but as we all know that's just the start of your problems as Swindon found out in 93/94  when we couldn't attract decent players because the budget was too small 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Statistically, yes if football lasts forever we will make the Prem.

Things are a bit dodgy now but you never know what's around the corner. Upon relegation to the Championship in 2013 with all those useless players in huge contracts did we imagine that 7 seasons later we'd be in a new Ashton Gate, getting 20,000+ crowds, close to playoffs with a total revamp of how we recruit players?

Did Sheffield United fans imagine they'd be 8th in the Prem a few seasons later after they were relegated to League 1?

Did Leicester fans ever think they'd WIN the Prem after relegation to League 1?

I could go on and on.. point is, you never know what's around the corner in Football. We could still even go up this season. I think you need to look at the bigger picture.

These are the exceptions not the rule

1 hour ago, Super said:

We can't always be the bridesmaids.

We’ve done a bloody good job at it so far.

We have everything in place to do it but I am not sure that SL is ruthless enough to achieve it . 

I share the concern with certain posters that momentum is very important and if we don’t go up this year with the awful football we’ve been playing we will cease to be recognised as a progressive club , à Prem club in waiting , and may stall completely if the same old faces patrol the technical area next season.

1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

True though!   I'm 75 this August and apart from the years of the old Div 1, which were great, but look at the price it nearly cost us, It's been yo-yo League 1/Championship, in the last 20- 30 years or so.  I don't think I will ever see City in the Prem in my lifetime, the club is too cosy and despite what SL says, I don't think the ambition is there. Such a shame, even though we all know it wouldn't last long, I would love to see them there, even if only for one season. Then I can go a happy man!

This is why the club don’t go all out for it , too many old supporters giving up the ghost if  we get there .

Could have a dramatic effect on gate receipts .

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He's been at the helm for 18 years and we've only got close once...

The difference between City 18 years ago and now is immeasurable, he took on a long term project and you will reap the benefits one day. The closest club I could compare it to is Celtic, When Fergus McCann took over in the early 90s the club was in a right state and about to move away from Celtic Park. He ignored the fan's abuse who just wanted him to chuck money at the team (this was in the days of Rangers 9 in a row) and insisted the club needed long term infrastructure investment instead. He was right and Celtic are enjoying the rewards now.

5 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

The difference between City 18 years ago and now is immeasurable, he took on a long term project and you will reap the benefits one day. The closest club I could compare it to is Celtic, When Fergus McCann took over in the early 90s the club was in a right state and about to move away from Celtic Park. He ignored the fan's abuse who just wanted him to chuck money at the team (this was in the days of Rangers 9 in a row) and insisted the club needed long term infrastructure investment instead. He was right and Celtic are enjoying the rewards now.

We certainly should reap the benefits "one day" just not convinced it will actually happen under SL. I've been of the opinion for a long time that we are in a safe place with him, and yes we finally are progressing in a stable manner, but there is also something holding us back under his stewardship. Long term project or not, given the amount of investment he's put in over the past 18 years it is pretty disappointing that we haven't enjoyed top flight football, even if only for one season. We are surely viewed by most as the biggest club in English football not to have played in the Premier League, an unenviable achievement! 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

This is why the club don’t go all out for it , too many old supporters giving up the ghost if  we get there .

Define “Go all out for it”, referencing FFP, holding on to players if Prem clubs come bidding, sustainability, Plan B if “going all out for it” goes wrong etc.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s simpler than that, some of us live in a real World rather than some fantasy land where spending £x million guarantees promotion.

Youth development, good scouting and shrewd purchases are the key.

Archived