IGNORED

Interesting comments from LJ...

spudski

...and I'm sure some will use it as ' more excuses'...

From today's presser...

You've made 87 changes this season - Lee Bowyer is the only manager that's made more. Is it a case that those players have shown you that if they perform like that, you'll keep them?

Yeah, absolutely. You don't want to make those changes. The starting point is that you won't believe what's happened to us this year; there's three books, let alone one, and one day, maybe in five years' time, that'll all come out.

He's always made lots of changes though.  Unless he's been extremely unlucky during his 4 years here, it does just seem like it's part of his management style.

Eliasson and Wells clearly weren't injured or ill on the weekend, and yet they dropped out of the team.  That's changes he wanted to make for whatever reason.  He said himself that he wanted a team that he could trust and that knew his standards etc.

We've got too many similar players of similar ability and he never seems quite sure which ones he fully believes in.  That's left us with 20 odd players all expecting regular game time and almost all of them being thrown in and out of the team often on a whim of the odd mistake or poor team performance.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Many of the changes have been down to injuries but that hardly gets a mention. I’m sure that if LJ had had a fully fit squad all season then we’d see a regular starting 11 and matchday squad.

I'm not sure I buy it.

There's hardly any areas of the team where we know who the preferred choice is.  You've probably got Bentley in goal, Dasilva at left back and Diedhiou up front.  The other 8 spots seem to be an alternating mix of who's newest/who's been their longest, who's the busiest bee, who "ticks the boxes of a championship team", and who's flavour of the week.

13 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Aah, the old "I've been so unlucky with problems behind the scenes, but I can't tell you what they are " excuse.

Classic.

I'm sceptical as well but in fairness the last time he said something like that was about Tomlin and a story did emerge later.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Many of the changes have been down to injuries but that hardly gets a mention. I’m sure that if LJ had had a fully fit squad all season then we’d see a regular starting 11 and matchday squad.

Each and every football manager in the football league will have injuries to deal with 

3 minutes ago, Roe said:

I'm not sure I buy it.

There's hardly any areas of the team where we know who the preferred choice is.  You've probably got Bentley in goal, Dasilva at left back and Diedhiou up front.  The other 8 spots seem to be an alternating mix of who's newest/who's been their longest, who's the busiest bee, who "ticks the boxes of a championship team", and who's flavour of the week.

Had Smith been available all season, he’d have been a starter and so would have been Afobe. LJ hasn’t been able yet to replace Brownhill who was also a regular.

Baker is made of glass but had he been available more often he’d have been another regular as would Kalas.

Of course some changes were tactical but most were enforced.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Had Smith been available all season, he’d have been a starter and so would have been Afobe. LJ hasn’t been able yet to replace Brownhill who was also a regular.

Baker is made of glass but had he been available more often he’d have been another regular as would Kalas.

Of course some changes were tactical but most were enforced.

Nobody is talking about Smith and Afobe being out of the team. They’re not in one week and out the next.

6 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I'm sceptical as well but in fairness the last time he said something like that was about Tomlin and a story did emerge later.

Maybe. According to Johnson we have 3 books to look forward to in 5 years, can't wait.

If there are things behind the scenes that explain the chopping and changing, he'll certainly be given a little sympathy by Lansdown and ride the storm. I get that LJ's comment might be BS, but if it is correct we might all be being a bit harsh on him..

I suppose the following we know about:

Nketiah debacle in August

Afobe injury

Afobe tragic event

Nagy injury debacle

Nketiah debacle in January 

Captain leaves club

February virus

Other mitigating circumstances?

There are still a host of question marks though...

Taylor Moore out on loan?

Rodri?

Kasey Palmer?!

Treatment of January loans?

General churn of CBs and CMs

Other curiosities?

4 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Maybe. According to Johnson we have 3 books to look forward to in 5 years, can't wait.

He's really readjusted his targets. Used to be Europe in 5 years, now it's publishing a trilogy of books. From competing with Guardiola to competing with Steve Bruce.

2 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

I’d be surprised if these revelations were any more than those facing other managers. Getting your excuses in for poor man management and failure to motivate players are we Lee?

Well we're not exactly Derby County are we! Now there's a team with issues...

6 minutes ago, Laner said:

I often wonder if the people who complain about the changes are also those who post their different line-ups and formations on here week-in week-out?

I think the most common complaint is that he doesn't know or often play his best team. 

This weekend is probably the best example of that with Nahki Wells not being in the 11.  If he's not in our preferred team then why the hell did we sign him?

It's the same with constantly leaving Eliasson out of the team whenever we go on a bad run.  Fine, if you believe we're a better team without Eliasson then build a new system without him.  Don't then after 45 minutes go "oooh actually we could do with bringing Eliasson on now".  It's nonsense.

He told us it would take three transfer windows to get a team he trusts, now we need to wait for three books before we find out why he hasn't.

I'm sure buried in there will be reasons to be sympathetic with Lee, but at the moment I can't look beyond the fact he seems to be reacting to the pressure by feeding toxic innuendo into the public domain in his various press conferences. I really don't think it helps anyone (bar his own ego) and I suspect it's one area even SL won't tolerate forever.

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

If there are things behind the scenes that explain the chopping and changing, he'll certainly be given a little sympathy by Lansdown and ride the storm. I get that LJ's comment might be BS, but if it is correct we might all be being a bit harsh on him..

I suppose the following we know about:

Nketiah debacle in August

Afobe injury

Afobe tragic event

Nagy injury debacle

Nketiah debacle in January 

Captain leaves club

February virus

Other mitigating circumstances?

There are still a host of question marks though...

Taylor Moore out on loan?

Rodri?

Kasey Palmer?!

Treatment of January loans?

General churn of CBs and CMs

Other curiosities?

You forgot running out of bobble hats in the shop just before Christmas

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I have to disagree somewhat RR. He has changed the team and formation more times than I can remember any other city manager doing. Yes injuries obviously cause changes. But IMO he is over thinking and tinkering with players and formations . How a player can get up to form I have no idea with being in and out of the squad. Forever chopping and changing the defence and midfield. And it is impacting the players at the wrong time of the season 

Archived