IGNORED

Interesting comments from LJ...

spudski

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

He told us it would take three transfer windows to get a team he trusts, now we need to wait for three books before we find out why he hasn't.

I'm sure buried in there will be reasons to be sympathetic with Lee, but at the moment I can't look beyond the fact he seems to be reacting to the pressure by feeding toxic innuendo into the public domain in his various press conferences. I really don't think it helps anyone (bar his own ego) and I suspect it's one area even SL won't tolerate forever.

"To get a true reflection of one of my teams it'll probably take three windows, but we'll look to fast-track that". 

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Many of the changes have been down to injuries but that hardly gets a mention. I’m sure that if LJ had had a fully fit squad all season then we’d see a regular starting 11 and matchday squad.

The injuries at the start of the season are fair enough, but now it doesn’t wash, it’s only afobe out long term the rest is down to the head coach and his tombola 

mans we wonder why there’s no cohesion in the team......

25 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

We've got too many players. Simple as.

Too many players ,no stand outs.

Said it many times - we have 4 @ £10k per week not 2 @ £20k and if they get injured have the understudy kids get some game time [Walsh, Moore, Morrell]

10 minutes ago, Olé said:

He told us it would take three transfer windows to get a team he trusts, now we need to wait for three books before we find out why he hasn't.

I'm sure buried in there will be reasons to be sympathetic with Lee, but at the moment I can't look beyond the fact he seems to be reacting to the pressure by feeding toxic innuendo into the public domain in his various press conferences. I really don't think it helps anyone (bar his own ego) and I suspect it's one area even SL won't tolerate forever.

Yes he said 3 transfer windows, but then again, he has constantly lose his best players for his whole time here.

This season for example, Webster signed for Brighton days before the season and our defence looks worse for it.

The loss of Brownhill in january and i'd argue our midfield looks weaker because of it.

Overall he's doing well in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

I’d be surprised if these revelations were any more than those facing other managers. Getting your excuses in for poor man management and failure to motivate players are we Lee?

Getting his excuses in before the sack in the summer possibly? Classic positioning from a manager who knows he is on borrowed time.

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Had Smith been available all season, he’d have been a starter and so would have been Afobe. LJ hasn’t been able yet to replace Brownhill who was also a regular.

Baker is made of glass but had he been available more often he’d have been another regular as would Kalas.

Of course some changes were tactical but most were enforced.

I'm also not sure we'd anticipated losing Webster, and that came quite late.

19 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

He's really readjusted his targets. Used to be Europe in 5 years, now it's publishing a trilogy of books. From competing with Guardiola to competing with Steve Bruce.

Well if that doesn't happen, he can blame that on Brexit 

21 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Maybe. According to Johnson we have 3 books to look forward to in 5 years, can't wait.

I'm thinking...

20/12/2017 - How I dun Jose.

Leespeak - From Box Entries to Zero Opps.

Lee Tomlin - It Was A Good Idea At The Time

Any more?

37 minutes ago, Roe said:

He's always made lots of changes though.  Unless he's been extremely unlucky during his 4 years here, it does just seem like it's part of his management style.

Eliasson and Wells clearly weren't injured or ill on the weekend, and yet they dropped out of the team.  That's changes he wanted to make for whatever reason.  He said himself that he wanted a team that he could trust and that knew his standards etc.

We've got too many similar players of similar ability and he never seems quite sure which ones he fully believes in.  That's left us with 20 odd players all expecting regular game time and almost all of them being thrown in and out of the team often on a whim of the odd mistake or poor team performance.

Spot on. 
Hes’s given himself the luxury of a massive squad and the option to continually chop and change. 
a smaller squad would mean he’d have to get the best from what he has, keep them on side. That’s coaching and man-management... 

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

Yes he said 3 transfer windows, but then again, he has constantly lose his best players for his whole time here.

This season for example, Webster signed for Brighton days before the season and our defence looks worse for it.

The loss of Brownhill in january and i'd argue our midfield looks weaker because of it.

I think LJ's biggest critics are simply too harsh when it comes to the mitigating circumstances, especially for a club in our position/budget/size etc. Ultimately, fighting for the top 6, he's outdone what many thought he was capable of. So much so that they've started getting the excuses in early, if we were to be promoted. That's a sign of progress for me.

But LJ does not help himself with the constant chopping and changing regardless - and although more improved recently, the transfer policy needs to be much more closely aligned to what style of play LJ actually wants. Or does he sign 'the best available and affordable' player in any position and then try and shoe horn them into the team? If so, that needs to change. 

Choose it, stick to it, buy to work in it. When LJ talks about identity I feel he means ethic or ethos. Fans want to see a playing identity and he doesn't help himself with that changing the team and formation all the time, regardless of injuries etc and unknown book content matters.

18 minutes ago, mozo said:

Well we're not exactly Derby County are we! Now there's a team with issues...

Difficult to believe LJ has genuine issues:

Billionaire owner

Billionaire owner, who backed you when you went on a massive loosing streak

Brand new stadium

Oh your training ground looks a bit shabby compared to the stadium?

Brand new training facility

Team on financially sound footing.  (I suspect Hull would swap in a heart beat)

Not trying to belittle whatever has happened.  I know there have been tragic events this season and I'm sure some things are yet to come out.

But I suspect there aren't many managers who feel he has been dealt a duff hand

23 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m sure these books will be a balanced view. 

The Busy Bee Trilogy 

2 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Spot on. 
Hes’s given himself the luxury of a massive squad and the option to continually chop and change. 
a smaller squad would mean he’d have to get the best from what he has, keep them on side. That’s coaching and man-management... 

He's even said this himself a few times recently.  "The players are getting anxious because they don't know if they're in the squad or not."  "We had a great day training because we only had 17 fit players and it's easier to manage that".

"We need to trim the squad"

That trimming the squad consisted of letting Szmodics, Wright, Semenyo go out on loan (all players who weren't playing anyway) and bringing in 3 more who are all expecting a lot of game time.  So almost the opposite of trimming the squad then.

28 minutes ago, mozo said:

If there are things behind the scenes that explain the chopping and changing, he'll certainly be given a little sympathy by Lansdown and ride the storm. I get that LJ's comment might be BS, but if it is correct we might all be being a bit harsh on him..

I suppose the following we know about:

Nketiah debacle in August

Afobe injury

I expect the story of this season is that we intended in the summer to set up to play to Nketiah and then Afobe's strengths and that's why we bought Palmer, Nagy and Massengo - and then due to most of the eggs being in that basket we have floundered around cluelessly after Afobe's injury.

I find it hard to conceive of a saga that would justify the number of changes he has made however, and there is no doubt in my mind that the reason our form is poor recently and our performances have been worse than results all season is because nobody is in the side long enough to settle and form partnerships and an unconscious understanding of the habits, positioning and timing of the players around them.

It doesn't require an in depth knowledge of anything to know that familiarity and the security that comes with it are essential in being confident.

11 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I'm thinking...

20/12/2017 - How I dun Jose.

Leespeak - From Box Entries to Zero Opps.

Lee Tomlin - It Was A Good Idea At The Time

Any more?

Winter - The Streaks Are the Hardest Part

Why I  turned down Barcelona

Box Entries and Other New Positions

24 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

"To get a true reflection of one of my teams it'll probably take three windows, but we'll look to fast-track that". 

How many windows has he had to fast track us.... the club recently got the bunting out for his forth anniversary... so that’s 8 windows?  

He’s taken us from lower mid to upper mid table. Entertainment non-existent at home games. Millions spent. Tons of signings and tons jettisoned. 

1 minute ago, Mendip City said:

How many windows has he had to fast track us.... the club recently got the bunting out for his forth anniversary... so that’s 8 windows?  

He’s taken us from lower mid to upper mid table. Entertainment non-existent at home games. Millions spent. Tons of signings and tons jettisoned. 

I hate defending Lee, but he has made us more money than he's spent. I'll give him that. 

3 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Or you could say he’s taken us from relegation certainty to playoff contenders, depends how you want to spin it.

perhaps the reason he’s treated the new players how he has is because he didn’t bring them in? Perhaps he has less say in signings than we realised. It would explain why he can’t get the best out of them, or understand his best 11

2 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Winter - The Streaks Are the Hardest Part

Why I  turned down Barcelona

Box Entries and Other New Positions

Busy Bees - How I Avoided Cease And Desist Letters From Brentford FC

Not Many People Know How Well Known I Am

Josh Brownhill's Shoes

13 minutes ago, Riaz said:

That's fair enough - I also think he has done well (emphasis on has done), I'm certainly not one of his biggest critics and never have been.

Last season, as I'd said many times on here, was probably my favourite in my lifetime for away performances, LJ was achieving miracles.

I never expected us to retain Webster AND sign Kalas. I didn't expect half the signings. Nor did I expect Wells. Johnson has been backed.

But despite re-investment I do think we're now regressing, both quality of football and confidence in a preferred line up, is all a bit chaotic.

What is particularly troubling is the lack of leadership evidenced by comments in the media in the past week, this thread is just the latest.

I didn't have any view on LJ's future until he started briefing like this in the media, but it's unhelpful, desperate, and is not going to end well.

55 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Many of the changes have been down to injuries but that hardly gets a mention. I’m sure that if LJ had had a fully fit squad all season then we’d see a regular starting 11 and matchday squad.

Even you cant believe this Robbo. You've heard him speak at Senior Reds and have admitted to being completely baffled by his thoughts. Fact is there are 23 other teams in our league so that's at least 23 different teams and formations needed by LJ. Plus we play them all twice. He has no idea of his best 11 or 18.

Archived