IGNORED

Interesting comments from LJ...

spudski

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

I'd have dropped Elliasson to be honest. Did nothing in the previous 3 games

But I would argue that only against WBA was he poor, yes he was anonymous against Leeds, but then we barely touched the ball and he had 2/3 players on him so hardly his fault that his team mates can't take advantage of the space he created and got an assist against Derby, hardly doing nothing? Not going to focus on Huddersfield as when Nic came on we were much improved but can't expect Nic to bail out poor management decisions. 

With him not in the side we have absolutely no creativity, and create nothing, if you are a side creating chances I can see the argument to not play the player who has the most assists, but when you are cresting nothing  it is absolutely criminal management. 

Hunt has been shit for months and he has only just been dropped, Wiemann poor for gold knows how long and Johnson looks for any excuse to get him back in the side, it's just funny that our only creative player is bombed out when he doesn't have an impact for 2 and a half games yet other players can be shite for ages and nothing happens. 

3 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

But I would argue that only against WBA was he poor, yes he was anonymous against Leeds, but then we barely touched the ball and he had 2/3 players on him so hardly his fault that his team mates can't take advantage of the space he created and got an assist against Derby, hardly doing nothing? Not going to focus on Huddersfield as when Nic came on we were much improved but can't expect Nic to bail out poor management decisions. 

With him not in the side we have absolutely no creativity, and create nothing, if you are a side creating chances I can see the argument to not play the player who has the most assists, but when you are cresting nothing  it is absolutely criminal management. 

Hunt has been shit for months and he has only just been dropped, Wiemann poor for gold knows how long and Johnson looks for any excuse to get him back in the side, it's just funny that our only creative player is bombed out when he doesn't have an impact for 2 and a half games yet other players can be shite for ages and nothing happens. 

Patterson?

8 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I agree that many of LJ's detractors conveniently ignore the injuries in the first half of the season. I know the stock response is that every team suffers injuries, but when you take out 3/4 of last season's defence ( Dasilva, Kalas and Hunt),  then Nagy, just when he was looking a very good player, and very crucially Afobe, we lost arguably our most important players and the spine of the team.

Having said that, the mystery is that, with hindsight, we enjoyed probably our best spell of the season  while these players were out and with less options available, LJ had to make do and mend as far as team selections were concerned.

Since most players have returned we seemed to have regressed the most, and that is what I find baffling and most worrying.

Well balanced and reasoned post D. I wish I’d taken the trouble to explain my reasoning.

I still maintain that had LJ had a fully fit squad this season we’d have seen pretty much the same matchday squad and starting 11.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Or you could say he’s taken us from relegation certainty to playoff contenders, depends how you want to spin it.

perhaps the reason he’s treated the new players how he has is because he didn’t bring them in? Perhaps he has less say in signings than we realised. It would explain why he can’t get the best out of them, or understand his best 11

But he’s always said he has the final say on signings.  So they’re all his signings. 
If that’s not true or no longer true he needs to say it... say it straight... no cryptic clues or buzz words. 
I think if he’s not in control of the ins and outs, I’d understand him a little better. 

Spoiled for choice as he has too many players to choose from i feel and doesn't know how to play them. Even now i still don't know how we are trying to play, he makes all these changes week in week out and it always turns out the same. Think he lacks a bit of nous to be fair. Would love to see him take us into the Prem but i don't think he is the man to do it unfortunately. I'm surprised SL has stuck with him for so long he must be pulling his hair out by now. Be interesting to see what happens if we lose against Fulham. COYR's

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Or you could say he’s taken us from relegation certainty to playoff contenders, depends how you want to spin it.

perhaps the reason he’s treated the new players how he has is because he didn’t bring them in? Perhaps he has less say in signings than we realised. It would explain why he can’t get the best out of them, or understand his best 11

LJ has consistently stated that although the process recruitment comes under Mark Ashtons remit.  He has final say.   

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I agree that many of LJ's detractors conveniently ignore the injuries in the first half of the season. I know the stock response is that every team suffers injuries, but when you take out 3/4 of last season's defence ( Dasilva, Kalas and Hunt),  then Nagy, just when he was looking a very good player, and very crucially Afobe, we lost arguably our most important players and the spine of the team.

Having said that, the mystery is that, with hindsight, we enjoyed probably our best spell of the season  while these players were out and with less options available, LJ had to make do and mend as far as team selections were concerned.

Since most players have returned we seemed to have regressed the most, and that is what I find baffling and most worrying.

Think this could go some way to backing up the suggestion that the more players LJ has at his disposal, the more rotation we have and  teamwork and performances suffer.

Over the last three seasons, we’ve had a lot of injuries early in the season.  As these players start to return to the squad and there are multiple choices in each position; rather than providing competition for places, it seems everyone’s form takes a dive.

I think we’re crying out for a settled team, so the players can build up some much needed understanding.  Unfortunately the policy of picking players to counteract the style of the opposition we’re playing each week just doesn’t allow that and accentuates the problem.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

What does he need an excuse for? Having us in 7th and two points of the play offs? 

Because it was only recently that we were fifth and two points off automatic promotion. 

The football is largely joyless and incoherent. We are not playing as a team , relying solely on individual moments for a win . 

The club is being stunk out by players he has signed and rejected without having their chance to shine . LJ is like a kid at Christmas and Uncle Steve needs to get a grip . 

I am with the poster ‘ Where’s the joy ? ‘ because , frankly , despite our lofty position the momentum has stalled and a change, a spark is needed to get it going again.

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

Must own up to not understanding the Elliasson love in that some show on here. Seems bang average to me.

He's top of the assists for the league and in the summer will likely move on to a bigger club.

"Bang average" ?

3 minutes ago, Roe said:

He's top of the assists for the league and in the summer will likely move on to a bigger club.

"Bang average" ?

I won't be in tears when he leaves. Several bang average players have left for bigger clubs over the past few years. 

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Must own up to not understanding the Elliasson love in that some show on here. Seems bang average to me.

When he's in the game, he's a real threat.

But when he's not, he offers little.

35 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

...and there you have it!  Inconsistent selection policy from the head-coaching team. One player dropped for playing crap, another not. In all the teams I’ve played in, the ones where we had poor morale were the ones where the manager chose the team against fluffy logic / picked his favourites / dropped those who challenged despite them being captain or leaders.  This often led to dressing room arguments. 

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

That’s another debate. He has pros and cons imho. 

28 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Patterson?

Patto has been good since coming back, for some context though, he has played a bit over a third of the minutes that Nic has, 700 odd v 1800 odd, and in that time he has 1 /12th of this assists of Elliasson, 1 vs 12.

So I stand by my we are not creative at all without Elliasson on the pitch. 

And I wouldn't even say that we are that creative with him, we have just had strikers that contrary to popular belief have been absolutely clinical in converting the few chances they do get. It is a testament to just how good Fam and Wiemann have been that they are both in double figures considering our lack of creativity. Put Fam up front for Leeds instead of Bamford and the man scores an absolute shit ton in this league. 

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

When he's in the game, he's a real threat.

But when he's not, he offers little.

Isn't that the case for everyone though?

Even when he came on on Saturday, he still had a spell where he won us a free kick, and then had a spell where we put in 2 or 3 decent corners in a row.  One of the few bright spots of an awful attacking second half.

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Lower mid table to upper mid table Hahahaha what are you on about. 
17th to 7th ffs possibly even a top 6 finish this season. 

Well, in a league of 24, top of the table is position 1. Mid table is position 12. We are half way between the two (nearly) so we’re by definition at the upper end of mid table. We’re actually closer position-wise to 12th than top. 
Similarly we were closer to the bottom than the middle when LJ arrived.
There’s no rocket science, just facts as is the fact, you point out, that we could still make top 6. That would be tangible progress. 

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

He's really readjusted his targets. Used to be Europe in 5 years, now it's publishing a trilogy of books. From competing with Guardiola to competing with Steve Bruce.

He's already got the title for the first book sorted - shamelessly plagiarized from  the BBC though -  it's called

" I'm sorry I haven't a clue"  by Lee Johnson

48 minutes ago, soultrader said:

LJ has consistently stated that although the process recruitment comes under Mark Ashtons remit.  He has final say.   

Yes. No. No. No. Yes. Needs a pre-season with me. Oh, you've already agreed a contract with Kasey.....

It’s so easy for people to snipe at managers, throwing out often vicious comments based on speculation or prejudice.  I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and try to see the best in them, and for that reason I am prepared to believe:

• Lee Johnson is an honourable man.
  • Lee Johnson loves Bristol City and wants to do his best for the club.
  • Things have gone on this season that we don’t know about or don’t fully understand, and we will not know what all those things are unless someone who does know all about them tells us.
  • If Steve Lansdown thought that it was better for the club to have a different manager, then he would have sacked Lee Johnson by now.
  • People who work for Bristol City know more about football than I do.

I suggest that while we are in touch with the playoffs we get behind everyone concerned and see what can be delivered in the remains of the season.  We have seen pretty miraculous turnarounds before, after all.

I therefore suggest that everyone chills out and gets behind the team.

50 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Patto has been good since coming back, for some context though, he has played a bit over a third of the minutes that Nic has, 700 odd v 1800 odd, and in that time he has 1 /12th of this assists of Elliasson, 1 vs 12.

But to be fair he should have 4 assists, as he’s played 1/3 of the minutes.  Shouldn’t Eliasson be on 9 goals (currently on 3) as Pato has the same 3 goals from 1/3 of the minutes?  Personally I think they both offer good bits and bad bits, but you have to be consistent with your use of the numbers!

So I stand by my we are not creative at all without Elliasson on the pitch. 

And I wouldn't even say that we are that creative with him, we have just had strikers that contrary to popular belief have been absolutely clinical in converting the few chances they do get. It is a testament to just how good Fam and Wiemann have been that they are both in double figures considering our lack of creativity. Put Fam up front for Leeds instead of Bamford and the man scores an absolute shit ton in this league. 

Archived