IGNORED

Interesting comments from LJ...

spudski

11 hours ago, Alessandro said:

The discussion of playing style troubles me and leaves a lot of why? questions.

Distinguish between style and identity. Styles change. An identity fundamentally doesn't.

We've seen, in the past, from a LJ team everything he was targeting, identity wise. He has created an identity before. We've had a high pressing team and we've had an excellent away form counter attacking team.

When the above distinction is used Mr Johnson has not created an identity in his time at Ashton Gate. Identity is the teams expected behaviours, its principles and standards in and out of possession.

Why were they lost? Clearly the blueprints, or intentions of them, exist. 

Because they were not a long term intent.

There is no long term blueprint, big plan, future game, model of play, identity call it whatever guiding the football.

And the question i'd also ask is how long does it take to create an identity and realistically, can a teams identity, or rather playing to an aimed identity, hinge on one or two key players, whom if lost, has that knock on negative effect on the rest of the team? Is it justified to say that transfer dealings in and out slow and hinder the implementation and development of a style, or even set it back? You could argue yes on both counts.

Think about this as being always linear.

The identity which defines the football has team needs. That identity is always being worked towards. The principles of play require players to fit them. Those requirements guide development, recruitment and training. Everything follows the model.

There must be a start to this. There have to be keystone behaviours. In a different world Jurgen Klopp stated what he was going to do at Liverpool. People will state he can buy the best but ... Right from his start a defining principle was his pressing required as a non negotiable players with high intensity and recovery .. No excuses this is what we are and will do.

One or two players leaving or injured is a predictable expectation. The squad should have players in the process with similar skill sets. These players may be of differing standards obviously but the squad is being developed to one identity v styles ..

Changing styles requires more players with differing qualities. Lee Johnson is in a cycle of changing players and styles. I think he is hindering implementation and development of the good (very) he does and can do.  

Ultimately though you can't argue with the number of changes and there detrimental effect.  LJ, like any manager or coach, is working within a number of constraints and compromises are made, but how many of the changes are ultimately down to his fiddling, or his lack of clarity on what he wants to achieve.

He has had more resources than his predecessors. I can think of no Manager at BCFC in my lifetime who chops and changes as much as Lee Johnson.

The question SL will ask i'm sure is, under the circumstances LJ has worked under this season, has the team achieved A) a 'par' league position, or the target he set and  B) have those circumstances justified the poorer performances. 

Let's see how the next 10 games go, but if they go like the last 10 then I think if SL is being ruthless in the pursuit of excellence, a change will come.

Which is different to the topic of identity - style.

The next ten ..

Mr Johnson reaches a level of points Steve Lansdown feels is acceptable and the seasonal cycle of change continues to repeat itself. 

13 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Distinguish between style and identity. Styles change. An identity fundamentally doesn't.

When the above distinction is used Mr Johnson has not created an identity in his time at Ashton Gate. Identity is the teams expected behaviours, its principles and standards in and out of possession.

There is no long term blueprint, big plan, future game, model of play, identity call it whatever guiding the football.

The identity which defines the football has team needs. That identity is always being worked towards. The principles of play require players to fit them. Those requirements guide development, recruitment and training. Everything follows the model.

There must be a start to this. There have to be keystone behaviours. In a different world Jurgen Klopp stated what he was going to do at Liverpool. People will state he can buy the best but ... Right from his start a defining principle was his pressing required as a non negotiable players with high intensity and recovery .. No excuses this is what we are and will do.

One or two players leaving or injured is a predictable expectation. The squad should have players in the process with similar skill sets. These players may be of differing standards obviously but the squad is being developed to one identity v styles ..

Changing styles requires more players with differing qualities. Lee Johnson is in a cycle of changing players and styles. I think he is hindering implementation and development of the good (very) he does and can do.  

He has had more resources than his predecessors. I can think of no Manager at BCFC in my lifetime who chops and changes as much as Lee Johnson.

Mr Johnson may reach a level of points Steve Lansdown feels is acceptable and the seasonal cycle of change continues repeats itself. 

Is it fair to say that Johnson has instilled a work rate on the pitch that we haven't always had, and that we defend for our lives when under the kosh. Those two aspects of Johnson's team seem to be consistent. 

16 minutes ago, mozo said:

Is it fair to say that Johnson has instilled a work rate on the pitch that we haven't always had, and that we defend for our lives when under the kosh. Those two aspects of Johnson's team seem to be consistent. 

Its hard to quantify but ...

Compare the Bristol City of v Man U/Man City v now. Do you think they get around the opposition in the same manner?

Bristol City frequently drop off into a medium and low block when defending. It is not high intensity e.g. Players attempting to cross balls v a team retaining shape getting compact.

Deidhiou, Elliason, Palmer do not lend themselves easily to the above. 

This is not a aggressive high work rate. 

4 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Its hard to quantify but ...

Compare the Bristol City of v Man U/Man City v now. Do you think they get around the opposition in the same manner?

Bristol City frequently drop off into a medium and low block when defending. It is not high intensity e.g. Players attempting to cross balls v a team retaining shape getting compact.

Deidhiou, Elliason, Palmer do not lend themselves easily to the above. 

This is not a aggressive high work rate. 

Re work rate, we would need the km coverage to be sure.

Re defending, I was more thinking that we throw bodies on the line to block shots with more commitment than many other eras. Not quantifiable though.

14 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Mr Johnson may reach a level of points Steve Lansdown feels is acceptable and the seasonal cycle of change continues repeats itself. 

Thanks Cowshed and some interesting points. 

Going by what you're saying about style and identity, what we've seen is a fairly regular change of style, or sense that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

But i've got to argue that, using the example you used of Liverpool "high intensity and recovery", that LJ has created some level of 'character' identity in the team and squad = the players with the right attitude to improve, to be honest and work hard for the whole team, busy bees (sorry) with a high work rate, CB's who are comfortable bringing the ball out from the back, forward players that press. Those have remained pretty constant. 

The question mark for me is why the recruitment doesn't always match that (Palmer/Tomlin for e.g) and why do the styles of football change - from being happy out of possession defending and counter attacking away from home to trying to play from out the back, on the front foot and up the intensity and press at home (sorry layman's terms, I can't regurgitate the training manuals) - and are there some mitigating circumstances for those changes of style? Injuries, recruitment, budget. I know you say we should have players to slip in, but simply some players are better than others.

To me we lack a consistent footballing style as much as identity and that is a huge problem. 

Finally, I do find the constant comparisons to previous managers pretty unhelpful. We are talking different times, eras, situations. But if you want to talk comparisons, you could argue he does actually have one of the best win % ratios of any manager over the last 15 years, probably the best at this level, he has a overseen one of the most stable periods of our clubs recent history at this level, including a our highest league cup finish and firmly established us in the Championship, something others have struggled to do. And still for me, despite all the investment on the pitch that people constantly use against him, we still probably have a budget that is about where we actually are, top 10. We are not underachieving from that sense, over achieving though? No. 

17 hours ago, Allwaysred said:

All bullshit the real truth is like many who have left and some of this group don't believe in JOHNSON and his tactics. Like I posted before and backed up another poster recently about not being a happy camp and it's not and that's a fact. Get to May and get him gone he's  clueless and out of his depth and his body language on the touchline every game shows that. 

Pretty much what I’ve been told by someone close to one of our boys out on loan.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think there's logic in the pressing game for a season comment, even with Liverpool - they're having a mini blip (by their excellent standards) and their players looked a bit tired, both mentally and physically, against Watford. Then of course Leeds' recent form.

Totally agree re pressing and fatigue. But in LJ’s case he never took the opportunity to rest / rotate. He reached a conclusion that the high press over a season was not achievable. Imho that was short-sighted. The remedy even during 18/19 might’ve been to play Walsh for 2/3 games to allow Smith and Pack to have a rest. The switch from 460 (you know what I mean!!!) to a 442/4411 when Diedhiou returned put enormous pressure on a two man midfield that had previously had huge help from Reid and Paterson. 

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

@Davefevs That’s a pretty spot on analysis there.

Thanks 

The question for me regarding continuity in midfield from that list, who would be your consistent picks?

Sat here today, I’d probably go 4141.  The current back 4 but happy for Pereira and Hunt to rotate.

Smith is my DM, and Wells is my striker.

The four in between then become difficult!  But I would probably go:

Weimann / Massengo / Paterson / Eliasson but equally happy for Palmer to be Pato’s cover, Nagy to be Massengo’s, O’Dowda to be Eliasson’s etc. I’d pick on merit / performance  

Especially centre mid, easy to say stick and make small tweaks, but with Nagy and Smith you can’t play unless fit. And do you persist with an inconsistent 18 year old? On the wings COD/Paterson blow hot and cold, Eliasson gets overrun some games, Weimann immensely works hard but too often lacks finesse and end product. 

Yes all the changes and tinkering clearly do not help, but when you start analysing and breaking down those choices, the cards you have available, you can see why a manager might find themselves mixing it up to find something that clicks there. 

Ultimately they’re his players though, so responsibility falls on him to produce with them - of course though we go back to SL and will leeway be given for the fact that you could argue the majority of those midfield signings have been (regardless of transfer fees) relative ‘punts’ in their own ways and in most cases players that might need developing, I.E takes time. 

Would you personally get rid in the summer if we’re still in the Championship next season?

If it’s because he doesn’t show any signs of a system and consistent player selection, then yes I would.  If he does then I’d give him more time but be really brutal with investment and squad size / make-up.

16 hours ago, Galway Red said:

Has any team at any time ever had a fully fit team for the season, of course not, pathetic excuses

Didn't Liverpool win the Championship one year and only play 13 players all season?

The problem with modern players is that they cough once and think they've got a life-threatening virus....

53 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Going by what you're saying about style and identity, what we've seen is a fairly regular change of style, or sense that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

But i've got to argue that, using the example you used of Liverpool "high intensity and recovery", that LJ has created some level of 'character' identity in the team and squad = the players with the right attitude to improve, to be honest and work hard for the whole team, busy bees (sorry) with a high work rate, CB's who are comfortable bringing the ball out from the back, forward players that press. Those have remained pretty constant. 

Lee Johnsons team does not have a team with a high intensity in its defending. Mr Johnson has gone from proactive (high lines) to reactive (medium and low blocks). I would have a guess this is because he feels the players he regularly fields do not have the physical and psychological ability to play higher and work harder. I would agree some of the squad don't posses high tactical defensive intensity - Famara has never pressed like Reid and won't = Logically drop off and screen to conserve energy.

Some facts. The team doesn't keep the ball well. Its low possession, low on passing accuracy and its a passing length x frequency of long balls has increased away from where it has been. An opinion Bristol City do not have CB's now who are comfortable on the ball. 

The question mark for me is why the recruitment doesn't always match that (Palmer/Tomlin for e.g) and why do the styles of football change - from being happy out of possession defending and counter attacking away from home to trying to play from out the back, on the front foot and up the intensity and press at home (sorry layman's terms, I can't regurgitate the training manuals) - and are there some mitigating circumstances for those changes of style? Injuries, recruitment, budget. I know you say we should have players to slip in, but simply some players are better than others.

Styles require more clubs in the bag. 

Mr Johnson is being reactive to the opposition. 

Are there some mitigating circumstances for those changes of style? Yes if you want to view it that way. Mr Johnson has created a squad with lots of different clubs. 

To me we lack a consistent footballing style as much as identity and that is a huge problem. 

I agree the change needs a re set.

Finally, I do find the constant comparisons to previous managers pretty unhelpful. We are talking different times, eras, situations. But if you want to talk comparisons, you could argue he does actually have one of the best win % ratios of any manager over the last 15 years, probably the best at this level, he has a overseen one of the most stable periods of our clubs recent history at this level, including a our highest league cup finish and firmly established us in the Championship, something others have struggled to do. And still for me, despite all the investment on the pitch that people constantly use against him, we still probably have a budget that is about where we actually are, top 10. We are not underachieving from that sense, over achieving though? No. 

I answered your point about LJ and any Managers constraints, compromises and change.  Using BCFC Managers I think is fair and balanced to feel Mr Johnson has had enough resource to be more consistent in his playing style and team selection. Mr Johnson has had time to put this unidentifiable identity project in place.

I clearly also use what Mr Johnson has said be that identity. leaders, dna, self coaching, windows ..

That is removed from win ratios.

You in your posts appear to be expressing dissatisfaction e.g. huge problem.

I think that huge problem will continue without a view beyond we have more points so what.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

You can look at the relational distances between the ball and defending team. City are consistently dropping off and screening. Its work but its not high intensity, it cannot be. 

24 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Lee Johnsons team does not have a team with a high intensity in its defending. Mr Johnson has gone from proactive (high lines) to reactive (medium and low blocks). I would have a guess this is because he feels the players he regularly fields do not have the physical and psychological ability to play higher and work harder.

His post-match interview I heard on 20man last night was the first time I heard him talk about “squeezing the lines” and having a bit more pace.  I thought we did play a bit higher back line for 25 minutes.  Funnily enough, that was the spell we played better!

I would agree some of the squad don't posses high tactical defensive intensity - Famara has never pressed like Reid and won't = Logically drop off and screen to conserve energy.

Unfortunately when he’s conserving energy he isn’t helping those players that have sensed an opportunity to press, eg Pato and Weimann on Saturday. They were furious with him on a couple of occasions!

Some facts. The team doesn't keep the ball well. Its low possession, low on passing accuracy and its a passing length x frequency of long balls has increased away from where it has been. An opinion Bristol City do not have CB's now who are comfortable on the ball.

And a big part of that imho is the distances back to front, they are too big!  Playing a higher line helped early on and we played a bit shorter and wow we kept the ball better than of late.  Second half the Millwall long ball, wind assisted, forced our back line deeper.  But apart from Korey, the rest didn’t react by dropping shorter, meaning big distances back to front.  All Weimann and Diedhiou has to do was play 10 yards deeper, either dragging their marker closer and condensing the space back to what it was, or if their marker didn’t follow, they 10 yards of space to get it.  It was painful to watch abd I have no coaching badges!

Styles require more clubs in the bag. 

Mr Johnson is being reactive to the opposition. 

Are there some mitigating circumstances for those changes of style? Yes if you want to view it that way. Mr Johnson has created a squad with lots of different clubs. 

I agree the change needs a re set.

I answered your point about LJ and any Managers constraints, compromises and change.  Using BCFC Managers I think is fair and balanced to feel Mr Johnson has had enough resource to be more consistent in his playing style and team selection. Mr Johnson has had time to put this unidentifiable identity project in place.

I clearly also use what Mr Johnson has said be that identity. leaders, dna, self coaching, windows ..

That is removed from win ratios.

You in your posts appear to be expressing dissatisfaction e.g. huge problem.

I think that huge problem will continue without a view beyond we have more points so what.

You can look at the relational distances between the ball and defending team. City are consistently dropping off and screening. Its work but its not high intensity, it cannot be.

Totally agree. Not only do we play longer, the midfield either cannot cover the ground to get close to the receiver or they are passed around when they try to press  

Excellent post, comments above. 

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Didn't Liverpool win the Championship one year and only play 13 players all season?

The problem with modern players is that they cough once and think they've got a life-threatening virus....

When we got promoted to the top flight in '76 we had a very small pool of players, things have changed

Interesting listening to Tony Cascarino on Talksport's H&J today, talking about  comments he made about Frank Lampard's Chelsea in his Times column.

He makes the point that while Chelsea has been affected by injuries and suspensions this season, which in itself doesn't help a team's stability, Lampard has made numerous changes that he ( Cascarino) feels has caused a lot of their problems, and in particular lead to their poor defensive record. He also implied that, presumably based on his experience as a pro footballer, this is a not uncommon trait of a young manager.

He also went on to say that making numerous changes doesn't necessarily cause fallout between manager and players, but what it can/does do is cause a divide in the dressing room, as some players just don't quite know where they stand as far as selection or even if they have a long term future at the club.

Although he was relating his comments to Chelsea, I couldn't help think that he could have been talking about City. If so, then  it might just be that LJ hasn't lost the dressing room but within that dressing room there are a number of players just confused about their roles ( which many fans suspect is the case in terms of what is our playing style) and whether the coach sees them as having a future at the club.

On 02/03/2020 at 12:20, spudski said:

...and I'm sure some will use it as ' more excuses'...

From today's presser...

You've made 87 changes this season - Lee Bowyer is the only manager that's made more. Is it a case that those players have shown you that if they perform like that, you'll keep them?

Yeah, absolutely. You don't want to make those changes. The starting point is that you won't believe what's happened to us this year; there's three books, let alone one, and one day, maybe in five years' time, that'll all come out.

My bullshitometer has just exploded if that means anything!

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Aston Villa used just 14 players when they won the First Division title in 1981. I think only two of them can walk now, mind....

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Excellent post, comments above. 

We played higher and pressed higher Dave because a total lack of pace threat from Smith & Bradshaw

ie because we could / & it made made sense

I hope I’m wrong , but I’m doubtful this will be a consistent or even regular approach 

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

We played higher and pressed higher Dave because a total lack of pace threat from Smith & Bradshaw

ie because we could / & it made made sense

I hope I’m wrong , but I’m doubtful this will be a consistent or even regular approach 

Also helps having Baker and Kalas over Williams. LJ said he chose Pereira over hunt for pace reasons too.

2 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

The biggest blagger in the land, is Lee Johnson and his band, if the ******* had a clue we would easy be top two 

Don't think we're quite top 2 material but we'd be IMO solidly in the playoffs and maybe outsiders for top 2.

Football, style of play would be a) A lot better and b) A lot more cohesive too.

2 hours ago, Alessandro said:

LJ has certainly been our best head coach over the last four years.

6 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

The biggest blagger in the land, is Lee Johnson and his band, if the ******* had a clue we would easy be top two 

Is he just a blagger tho??

Only 2 bristol city managers since 1992 have delivered a top half finish in the championship... both were called johnson...

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't think we're quite top 2 material but we'd be IMO solidly in the playoffs and maybe outsiders for top 2.

Football, style of play would be a) A lot better and b) A lot more cohesive too.

To an extent I agree, but why can we not match Leeds ? Money, resources, time, you name it we had it. But we are 7th and play like a poor Warnock Cardiff side. Last season it was Sheffield United. Time to stop making excuses. 7th is great in terms of historical performance, but the past means nothing today. At least play great football and be 7 th but our continual goal difference erosion season on season is for a reason. We are less than the sum of our parts, and only a hugely increasing wage spend and transfer budget masks the incompetence. 

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Is he just a blagger tho??

Only 2 bristol city managers since 1992 have delivered a top half finish in the championship... both were called johnson...

Money talks . What his father did was exceptional, he created a team that out performed . GJ was , for BCFC, one of our great managers. 

35 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Also helps having Baker and Kalas over Williams. LJ said he chose Pereira over hunt for pace reasons too.

There was one moment where Baker got caught higher up the pitch and when Millwall broke down Dasilva's side, big Nathan's chasing back was at a pace not seen since the snail Olympics of 1952. I couldn't work out if he couldn't be bothered, or if one of his legs had fallen off...

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Johnson Junior has a negative net spend....

That is hilarious. Look at overall spend and wage bill. Look , we all have different opinions, that is life. You are happy with LJ, I am not. The football is third world from the 70's, dire, awful, no youth development, buying old pro players, no connection to the youth teams and no footballing identity, we can go on. You are happy , great for you. With his resources and millions spent, and time in the job, I feel the club could be in a far  better place. That so many hate going to games when we are 7th should sound some alarm bells. Something it is not right, and that has nothing to do with what you or I write. It is not about our opinions, it is a fact and needs understanding.There is no unity within the playing side or fans. That has to be worthy of inspection. There is something wrong and we can all do better. 

Oh and Leeds have a positive net spend too. 

12 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

Money talks . What his father did was exceptional, he created a team that out performed . GJ was , for BCFC, one of our great managers.

I don't disagree but GJ also had lots of money to spend though it was mainly going on wages rather than fees.

Bristol City owner Stephen Lansdown says he is no longer willing to pay excessive player wages after spending an 'embarrassing' £50m on the club.

City were relegated from the Championship last season and posted a record loss of £14.4m in 2012.

The backing of billionaire Lansdown, 60, means they are not in financial difficulty, but he is determined to make the club more sustainable.

"I'm embarrassed by how much I've spent," Lansdown told BBC Points West.

"I daren't add it up, and although I have no regrets in doing it, it's probably over £50m.

"We started paying out bigger wages because we felt we needed that extra class, and it hasn't worked for us.

"I look back and it was a mistake."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23501929

On 02/03/2020 at 14:32, Robbored said:

I issue a laughing emoji rather than an aubergine Dave. I think it’s a more polite way of showing that you don’t agree with the post.

I don't disagree....but I had to add an aubergine just for the hell of it.  ?

Archived