IGNORED

Interesting comments from LJ...

spudski

1 hour ago, tin said:

I’m pretty sure Ashton is the one who’s in credit, seeing as he sanctions every transfer deal. 

LJ is paid to coach, motivate, man-manage, oversee tactics, forge an identity and develop players. He’s only delivering on the latter, consistently failing on the rest. 

LJ don’t coach the players then? 

He managed Brownhill previously and he would have been his signing and has final say on all transfers.

3 hours ago, tin said:

LJ is paid to coach, motivate, man-manage, oversee tactics, forge an identity and develop players. He’s only delivering on the latter, consistently failing on the rest. 

Not paid to get points on the board then? He's hardly 'failed' in that regard over the last couple of seasons

17 hours ago, glos old boy said:

So you are suggesting that we are now signing players the LJ doesnt want here......you need to lie down, LJ will have a list of players required/wanted, to suggest not is madness. He does find out he cannot manage them however.

Players end up at every club for different reasons and most are guided by agents and behind the scenes deals. Do you believe NW was a top target or was his hand forced as part of the JB deal and had to like even if he wanted to stay at QPR. 

16 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Add up all the transfer fees received since he’s been manager and then add up all the the transfer money spent...

You think that amounts to ‘accounts’ do you ?

You may want to Consider things such as 

Loan Fees

Signing on & associated fees 

Increase in squad wages

Payments due to previous Clubs (Sell ons etc)

I take it you are not in business 

13 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Add up all the transfer fees received since he’s been manager and then add up all the the transfer money spent...

If that’s your measure, then fine, but at least acknowledge the bigger picture, which is in its most simple financial transaction:

- not all the transfer fee is actually received, because of sell-on clauses, Webster, Brownhill, Flint (on the flip side we’ve received money for Freeman sell-ons)

- not all of the players sold were recruited by him (on the flip side he will leave players for the next manager to benefit from)

at a slightly more complicated level:

- agent fees

- signing on fees

- bonuses

and then at the full level:

- FFP

- the wage bill that goes with the squad

- the amortisation cost / depreciation of players fee over the contract term

- etc

in the four years LJ has been near the combined losses (inc the one year profit) are likely to be getting close to £50m.  As long as SL can keep City compliant and is willing to support losses around the £10-15m mark each season, then that is cool, but we cannot pretend LJ as head-coach is making a profit year on year.  He is doing his bit along with MA, as part of SL’s strategy, and as a result of “progress” in the league (for the above outlay) SL continues to back him.

Lets hope that progress continues.

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Loan Fees

Increase in squad wages

Great minds (maybe) ?

7 hours ago, Riaz said:

Oh yes most of the players he inherited were sold for big fees, all down to Johnson, silly me.

And we won't include massively increased wages, signing on fees, wages paid to Chelsea and others for expensive loan signings, or agent commissions, or indeed no doubt the massive difference between Johnson's salary and that of his coaching staff compared with previously.

Yep you are right.  ??????

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Oh yes most of the players he inherited were sold for big fees, all down to Johnson, silly me.

And we won't include massively increased wages, signing on fees, wages paid to Chelsea and others for expensive loan signings, or agent commissions, or indeed no doubt the massive difference between Johnson's salary and that of his coaching staff compared with previously.

We can also thank LJ for playing shit with barely a shot, while we have £8m-worth of attacking players (2 players in Wells and Palmer) on the bench. 

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

This may have been posted somewhere on here before, apologies if so, but if true it’s interesting ...

That's pretty damning. It's like we're finding success in the least enjoyable way. But not enough success that it seems worthwhile. 

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Loan Fees

Increase in squad wages

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

If that’s your measure, then fine, but at least acknowledge the bigger picture, which is in its most simple financial transaction:

- not all the transfer fee is actually received, because of sell-on clauses, Webster, Brownhill, Flint (on the flip side we’ve received money for Freeman sell-ons)

- not all of the players sold were recruited by him (on the flip side he will leave players for the next manager to benefit from)

at a slightly more complicated level:

- agent fees

- signing on fees

- bonuses

and then at the full level:

- FFP

- the wage bill that goes with the squad

- the amortisation cost / depreciation of players fee over the contract term

- etc

in the four years LJ has been near the combined losses (inc the one year profit) are likely to be getting close to £50m.  As long as SL can keep City compliant and is willing to support losses around the £10-15m mark each season, then that is cool, but we cannot pretend LJ as head-coach is making a profit year on year.  He is doing his bit along with MA, as part of SL’s strategy, and as a result of “progress” in the league (for the above outlay) SL continues to back him.

Lets hope that progress continues.

Great minds (maybe) ?

I'm an accountant, so clearly, i know that in the accounts there are other costs.

And i'm fully aware that bristol city, like most clubs are a loss making entity.

Whether the club is losing money or not tho. For what LJ can control, he is in credit. He has sold way more than he has spent. People should remember that.

This may have been posted somewhere on here before, apologies if so, but if true it’s interesting ...

Shots conceded may also be quite bad, but hopefully someone has crunched the numbers.

I can't say it surprises me however, it seems about right- the completions and touches in the box is a new one (for me) but not a happy stat.

We seem to have a good conversion rate though- our saving grace? That and Bentley being up there in the top 4 or 5 saves this season.

4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I'm an accountant, so clearly, i know that in the accounts there are other costs.

And i'm fully aware that bristol city, like most clubs are a loss making entity.

Whether the club is losing money or not tho. For what LJ can control, he is in credit. He has sold way more than he has spent. People should remember that.

The only thing that people REMEMBER is walking out of the ground after witnessing yet another diabolocol performancce

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Webster? Signed for 2.5 and was pretty average and then we sold him for 20m.

Brownhill? Signed him after managing him at Barnsely. Barely looked championnship standard when his signed and then sold to a top half premier league club.

He turned Bobby Reid into a goalscorer when he was languishing in the reserves as  midfield player.

He may have inherited Flint and Bryan, but they certainly werent top championship players when he took over, so he improved them as players

You need to give him credit, where credit is due.

Oof!

I'm not into slating Johnson, but its pretty damning evidence that backs up the main complaints people are having with the way we play. 

If you're going to play ugly football you have to get promotion with it (Warnock style), or it just isn't worth it for people. 

5 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Oof!

I'm not into slating Johnson, but its pretty damning evidence that backs up the main complaints people are having with the way we play. 

If you're going to play ugly football you have to get promotion with it (Warnock style), or it just isn't worth it for people. 

This is the kind of thing that Gregor is being brave enough to quiz Johnson on (which is why I respect his as our local journo) and I hope he does. 

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

An accountant ?

Wow

Is that the Diane Abbot Accounting Academy 

So you are just dismissing, ignoring  the costs of recruitment that come on top of any transfer fees paid

Creative I must say

So LJ gets the credit for any fees negotiated by Mark Ashton but isn’t responsible for the full cost of any of the numerous new  shiny toys , even the ones that end up spending the majority of their time on the naughty step 

Very creative

As an accountant maybe you could you help us with the main annual cost / expenditure for the football Club and explain why , when income has been increased in areas (Stadium catering , hospitality etc) why SL has to continue to bolster the club financially ?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

An accountant ?

Wow

Is that the Diane Abbot Accounting Academy 

So you are just dismissing, ignoring  the costs of recruitment that come on top of any transfer fees paid

Creative I must say

So LJ gets the credit for any fees negotiated by Mark Ashton but isn’t responsible for the full cost of any of the numerous new  shiny toys , even the ones that end up spending the majority of their time on the naughty step 

Very creative

As an accountant maybe you could you help us with the main annual cost / expenditure for the football Club and explain why , when income has been increased in areas (Stadium catering , hospitality etc) why SL has to continue to bolster the club financially ?

Thanks

Wages and agents fees do come into it, but the club are in a much healthier financial position since LJ has been in charge, you cant deny that.

Of course, Mark Ashton takes some credit too, for his negiotiating skills, but LJ is the person who has overseen the coaching of these players

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

Webster? Signed for 2.5 and was pretty average and then we sold him for 20m.

Brownhill? Signed him after managing him at Barnsely. Barely looked championnship standard when his signed and then sold to a top half premier league club.

He turned Bobby Reid into a goalscorer when he was languishing in the reserves as  midfield player.

He may have inherited Flint and Bryan, but they certainly werent top championship players when he took over, so he improved them as players

You need to give him credit, where credit is due.

Yes, I would give him credit for all the above as well. And continually being required by the business model to sell our better players summer after summer is something I will cut him some slack for - it makes a difficult job even harder. And I dare say that if Warnock - just as an example - had been required to do the same during his career, he wouldn't have a record number of promotions from the Championship to his name, either. Warnock is short-termist with just one goal in mind. Johnson is being asked to do a darn sight more.

But, unsurprisingly, you're now arguing a different point - based on a different interpretation of the word "credit" - than was originally under discussion. You've gone from arguing that Johnson has made the club money (using "credit" to mean finance) to - after your point was comprehensively demolished - arguing that Johnson has improved a handful of players (using "credit" to mean praise).

Disingenuous and laughable backtracking. As per.

2 hours ago, mozo said:

That's pretty damning. It's like we're finding success in the least enjoyable way. But not enough success that it seems worthwhile. 

Treble 20!

1 hour ago, Banjo Island said:

The only thing that people REMEMBER is walking out of the ground after witnessing yet another diabolocol performance

Treble 20!

1 hour ago, RedSA said:

One-hundred-and-eighty!

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes, I would give him credit for all the above as well. And continually being required by the business model to sell our better players summer after summer is something I will cut him some slack for - it makes a difficult job even harder. And I dare say that if Warnock - just as an example - had been required to do the same during his career, he wouldn't have a record number of promotions from the Championship to his name, either. Warnock is short-termist with just one goal in mind. Johnson is being asked to do a darn sight more.

But, unsurprisingly, you're now arguing a different point - based on a different interpretation of the word "credit" - than was originally under discussion. You've gone from arguing that Johnson has made the club money (using "credit" to mean finance) to - after your point was comprehensively demolished - arguing that Johnson has improved a handful of players (using "credit" to mean praise).

Disingenuous and laughable backtracking. As per.

I have not backtacked one bit. He's brought in more than he's spent.

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

I'm an accountant,

No, you're not.

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

Webster? Signed for 2.5 and was pretty average

Webster was never pretty average and whoever identified him as a signing deserves a lot of credit, particularly for the price we paid. 

Nevertheless your notion that Johnson had a significant affect on the fees achieved for the players he inherited is laughably inaccurate. Bryan, Reid and Kelly were developed and coached by the unsung heros of the club, the pitifully paid academy coaches, over 10 years, and also by several managers before Johnson. Reid "languishing in the reserves" is a ridiculous claim, he played a part in several games under Cotterill in the first half of 2015/16 including many starts.

24 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Wages and agents fees do come into it, but the club are in a much healthier financial position since LJ has been in charge, you cant deny that.

Look at the accounts, you're an accountant. ?

22 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I have not backtacked one bit. He's brought in more than he's spent.

Well yes, that's typical - several posters demolish your point with basic facts but, despite it all, you can't face it so try and brazen it out with yet more fake news and untruths.

Which is a classic example of why the internet should never have been invented in the first place and in my view is - on balance - a force for no good.

Have a nice day.   

20 minutes ago, NickJ said:

No, you're not.

Webster was never pretty average and whoever identified him as a signing deserves a lot of credit, particularly for the price we paid. 

Nevertheless your notion that Johnson had a significant affect on the fees achieved for the players he inherited is laughably inaccurate. Bryan, Reid and Kelly were developed and coached by the unsung heros of the club, the pitifully paid academy coaches, over 10 years, and also by several managers before Johnson. Reid "languishing in the reserves" is a ridiculous claim, he played a part in several games under Cotterill in the first half of 2015/16 including many starts.

Look at the accounts, you're an accountant. ?

Oh i'm not? If you say so ?

Made a profit last year did we not?

And are you denying the pivtoal role johnson played in making Bobby Reid a 10m player?

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Well yes, that's typical - several posters demolish your point with basic facts but, despite it all, you can't face it so try and brazen it out with yet more fake news and untruths.

Which is a classic example of why the internet should never have been invented in the first place and in my view is - on balance - a force for no good.

Have a nice day.   

They havent demolished my point at all. We've gained way more that we have spent.

When LJ came in, it was a loss making entity. Last year we made a huge profit for the first time in how long? and that was down too..... the transfers.

Facts dont lie.

Archived