IGNORED

Interesting comments from LJ...

spudski

@1960maaan

I want to see a back 4 as a minimum, the same back 4 as last Saturday.

Bentley (Mäenpää)

Pereira | Kalas | Baker | Dasilva 

Add Korey Smith to that, and the rest of the squad fighting for 5 places.  I think he will go pretty much unchanged.  I don’t think it’s our best option, but if it breeds confidence then fine by me.

If it were me, I would be very tempted to go with the 6 above in a 4141/4231....basically one up top....and that would be Wells (yes, no Diedhiou).  Take your pick on the other 4!!

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@1960maaan

I want to see a back 4 as a minimum, the same back 4 as last Saturday.

Bentley (Mäenpää)

Pereira | Kalas | Baker | Dasilva 

Add Korey Smith to that, and the rest of the squad fighting for 5 places.  I think he will go pretty much unchanged.  I don’t think it’s our best option, but if it breeds confidence then fine by me.

If it were me, I would be very tempted to go with the 6 above in a 4141/4231....basically one up top....and that would be Wells (yes, no Diedhiou).  Take your pick on the other 4!!

My fear for Saturday was Bryan. Because LJ tends to play FB's narrow I thought he would have a field day, a back 3 would allow Fb's to play wider and restrict space, as it sounds like he's out it might not be as important. I would love to find space for KP behind Wells, a 4-1-4-1 could work (again). I think we need extra bodies in MF, specially against a team that thrives on possession, I don't think we can afford to give the ball away as easily as we have been doing.

I like your back 4, I'd add Smith too. Wells has to start (surely) , of the rest no one is actually forcing their way into the team. Apparently COD was decent last week so maybe him and Henriksen but the rest ?‍♂️

16 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

My fear for Saturday was Bryan. Because LJ tends to play FB's narrow I thought he would have a field day, a back 3 would allow Fb's to play wider and restrict space, as it sounds like he's out it might not be as important. I would love to find space for KP behind Wells, a 4-1-4-1 could work (again). I think we need extra bodies in MF, specially against a team that thrives on possession, I don't think we can afford to give the ball away as easily as we have been doing.

I like your back 4, I'd add Smith too. Wells has to start (surely) , of the rest no one is actually forcing their way into the team. Apparently COD was decent last week so maybe him and Henriksen but the rest ?‍♂️

It would be so much easier had we recruited for 4141/4231.  I still think Paterson has done enough to since coming back to keep a place.  I think LJ saw enough from Nagy and COD last week, leaving just the RM/RW position.  Weimann is MY obvious selection as Lee continually picks, but I’m also loathe to just fit him in, if it were me dejecting the side (and I like Weimann)..

I could visualise a balanced front 6 of:

Smith

Paterson | Nagy | Palmer | O’Dowda

Wells 

that easily could morph into:

Smith | Nagy

Paterson | Palmer | O’Dowda

Wells 

But I don’t see LJ going with that.  In fairness I don’t see him going with Wells on his own...he might go Diedhiou with Wells.  Neither of the above are the players I’d pick per se, just reacting to recent selections and how you could fit in players like Palmer.

22 hours ago, NickJ said:

I’m sure you’re right, which is why I asked the question. 

But nevertheless many people are judging Johnson on his record of nonsense talking, excuses, blame shifting, and so on. 
Those traits are entirely down to him. 

In all seriousness even allowing for the perceived disproportionate criticism of Johnson, does he have the characteristics of a leader? 

22 hours ago, spudski said:

I think the media face of LJ is completely different to the man behind closed doors. 

The Club now is very much media savvy and closed as to what comes out.

It's media family friendly...which winds up older heads that have grown up in a different thinking generation.

Question skillfully evaded.

Which in itself is probably quite telling as to what you really think @spudski

If on the other hand you are suggesting that Johnson and/or the club is deliberately cultivating a media driven public image of slating own players, isolating and blame shifting, but behind the scenes he is really is a motivator and team player admired and respected by his players, I would have to say, on the basis that there would be absolutely zero to be gained, that would be ludicrous.

15 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Question skillfully evaded.

Which in itself is probably quite telling as to what you really think @spudski

If on the other hand you are suggesting that Johnson and/or the club is deliberately cultivating a media driven public image of slating own players, isolating and blame shifting, but behind the scenes he is really is a motivator and team player admired and respected by his players, I would have to say, on the basis that there would be absolutely zero to be gained, that would be ludicrous.

Not at all... don't put words in my mouth and then suggest something else.

How you perceive LJ with his comments is much different to how I see it.

Carry on making your mud pies...

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Not at all... don't put words in my mouth and then suggest something else.

How you perceive LJ with his comments is much different to how I see it.

Carry on making your mud pies...

I've attempted to interpret what you may mean as you didn't directly answer the question, no need to begin the descent to comments such as your last sentence.

I simply asked, do you think Johnson is a leader, given the traits such as blame shifting, defensiveness and calling out individual players, which we have seen?

If you can't or don't want to answer the question directly, that's fine.

18 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I've attempted to interpret what you may mean as you didn't directly answer the question, no need to begin the descent to comments such as your last sentence.

I simply asked, do you think Johnson is a leader, given the traits such as blame shifting, defensiveness and calling out individual players, which we have seen?

If you can't or don't want to answer the question directly, that's fine.

I gave an answer that was in the same vein as starting with 'Skillfully evaded'... I'm not looking for an argument. It's not worth it. What I think and what you think makes no difference... we'd be here all year and never agree. Been there...done that.

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

I gave an answer that was in the same vein as starting with 'Skillfully evaded'... I'm not looking for an argument. It's not worth it. What I think and what you think makes no difference... we'd be here all year and never agree. Been there...done that.

So have I Spudski and I’ve decided not to engage in debates with a guy who is never mistaken or wrong. Lots of other posters have the same view.

I think judging a man’s leadership skills from his press conferences is a rather narrow minded and lazy method.

In over 200 post match press conferences I can only think of 3, 4 occasions LJ has criticised a player directly (happy to stand corrected) - perhaps they deserved it? That number IMO pales into insignificance to the number of times he has, by name, praised players and on many more occasions shielded players whose individual errors have cost of points. 

I for one am glad when I see some of the reactions I see from him, I sign of his passion and if that boils over, he’s only human. I’d prefer that to the opposite. I know that LJ will come back in on Monday morning, leading by example giving 110% to improve and develop.

As for being defensive - well he can join a whole line of managers who’ve been defensive to the press - some good ones here:

Archived