IGNORED

Liam Walsh

Finley_Smith10

Said we should have brought back Walsh and Morrell in January to fight for one place, start learning our playing system (whatever that is) and develop playing partnerships.

I haven’t got an FA coaching badge, so what do I know, but Jesz do we need something, anything, in our midfield at the moment. 

1 minute ago, RedRock said:

Said we should have brought back Walsh and Morrell in January to fight for one place, start learning our playing system (whatever that is) and develop playing partnerships.

I haven’t got an FA coaching badge, so what do I know, but Jesz do we need something, anything, in our midfield at the moment. 

We don't have a system, style of play or whatever else you call it.

Yes, we should have kept both at City instead of bringing in unfit, injury prone, homesick midfielders but Joe and Liam are probably better off away from Ashton Gate.

7 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Would have made good sense to me, both would have been familiar with the squad & surroundings & have had more game time than the ones brought in.

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Yes, we should have kept both at City instead of bringing in unfit, injury prone, homesick midfielders but Joe and Liam are probably better off away from Ashton Gate.

I don’t remember many people on OTIB protesting when Walsh was sent to Coventry.  In fact the prevalent view was that his signing had been another of Johnson’s failures.  However he seems to have had a very successful season and has clearly developed as a player so clearly THE LOAN HAS WORKED.  The experience Walsh has gained in League 1 will have been invaluable to him so why are you saying that it shouldn’t have happened?  The whole point of loans is to allow players to develop, yet when a loan is successful people say the player should never have gone on loan on the first place.  Weird.

I can see the argument for bring him and Morrell back in January, but they would not have got the game time they’re getting at their present clubs and it would have been asking a lot for two youngish players to step up and deliver in the top regions of the Championship without any lead-in time.

21 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Must play next season, but knowing LJ will probably be sold back to Coventry next season 

Do you know whether Walsh has reached Championship quality yet? 

LJ did say that Walsh needed ‘more games’ and that’s exactly why he’s out on loan.

22 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

And if he does, would LJ be credited for signing him and sending him on loan until he was ready for Championship football?

You could say both Mark Robin's and LJ gets the credit. The player deserves credit as well for pushing on, this goes for all of our loan players. I feel many players we have bought have regressed here either due to confidence or being thrown into different set ups. You could argue why buy a player not to give him game time?

5 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

You could say both Mark Robin's and LJ gets the credit. The player deserves credit as well for pushing on, this goes for all of our loan players. I feel many players we have bought have regressed here either due to confidence or being thrown into different set ups. You could argue why buy a player not to give him game time?

I'm guessing that a 'Championship ready Walsh' would cost 4 or 5 million, whereas a Everton released youth player with potential only costs a million.

If he has continued to develop as hoped, and if they can wave a new contract in front of him so we have more than 12 months of his time available to us, he could by the end of next season be in the 6 or 7 million quid bracket.

We'll then sell him, balance the books for another year and hope to repeat the process with some of the other kids who we have out on loan.

34 minutes ago, RedRock said:

25 minutes ago, bpexile said:

Would have made good sense to me, both would have been familiar with the squad & surroundings & have had more game time than the ones brought in.

Couldn’t bring Walsh back. Wasn’t allowed due to terms of loan 

Seems most of our players out on loan are doing incredibly well.

The sooner we can bring them back and ruin them again, the better.

If we can do it to Championship players of the month, we can surely do it to league one players of the season.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Who did we bring in that was injury prone and unfit?  Or are you working with the benefit of hindsight, referring to a player who got injured in a challenge and was rushed back by his country, and then has struggled to regain fitness since?  The first couple of games from Nagy looked like one hell of a signing.  No-one was asking why we'd signed him and sent Walshy on loan.  Just another sad half arsed dig at LJ with no substance behind it.

We're getting enough stuff wrong without having to make shite up.

18 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Seems most of our players out on loan are doing incredibly well.

The sooner we can bring them back and ruin them again, the better.

If we can do it to Championship players of the month, we can surely do it to league one players of the season.

Not sure ‘incredibly well’, think several are as inconsistent as many in the first team squad. Others are getting little game time, even in leagues below us or dropped off the initial standards they set themselves. 

Think the question is, where are we weakest despite being bloated by numbers? Midfield without a doubt. Only Korey Smith merits inclusion (a pre LJ player). So we may as well have added some extra balls to the tombola machine.

I suppose the issue is, will LJ be here next Season? Only SL can answer that one. If he is they’ll probably be ruined anyhow, so might as well take the risk while we’re still in with a chance of the play-offs. 

49 minutes ago, mozo said:

The issue is, how do we bring back successful loanees like Morrell, Smith and Walsh into an already bloated squad?

And how will Johnson make his mind up on who makes the matchday squad?!

Not forgetting Mr Adelakun

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

And that's the sadness of it..

I feel your right both Joe,,Liam & also Moore...  

Wouldn't be at all surprised if not one of these players are still with us a year from now..plain wrong.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

The issue is, how do we bring back successful loanees like Morrell, Smith and Walsh into an already bloated squad?

Probably with Guinevere and set of balls number 8!!

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm guessing that a 'Championship ready Walsh' would cost 4 or 5 million, whereas a Everton released youth player with potential only costs a million.

If he has continued to develop as hoped, and if they can wave a new contract in front of him so we have more than 12 months of his time available to us, he could by the end of next season be in the 6 or 7 million quid bracket.

We'll then sell him, balance the books for another year and hope to repeat the process with some of the other kids who we have out on loan.

Correct...and why we'll never be promoted under this strict model.

You can't sell everyone with profit value & make the premier League.

There has to be balance,, something that's lacking right now.

5 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Correct...and why we'll never be promoted under this strict model.

You can't sell everyone with profit value & make the premier League.

There has to be balance,, something that's lacking right now.

All we can hope is that at some point, is that we have a couple of consecutive seasons where the younger players who return perform to a standard that the club don't need to buy 'experience' in the form of players costing in the strong millions and no offers come in for over performing 'youth', giving the club a chance to trim the wage bill and be sustainable by paying the younger players less that a Kalas or Baker.

But then we get down to LJ and his 'trust' issues.

He clearly never trusted Magnússon and it's fairly obvious he doesn't trust Palmer or Moore. 

2 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

And if he does, would LJ be credited for signing him and sending him on loan until he was ready for Championship football?

Got mates who are Everton season ticket holders and at the time he signed for us, they were all calling for him to be given a chance in the first team. Couldn't believe Everton had sold him to us.

It's no surprise hes a good player, very little to do with Johnson. A better coaching set up and he could have been starting for us this season 

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

LJ did say that Walsh needed ‘more games’ and that’s exactly why he’s out on loan.

Our current midfielders havent hit Championship quality yet!  

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

From what I saw watching the Cov vs Sunderland game he looked very good and Coventry fans on twitter been raving about him saying he’s one of the best players in league one

Feel he’d be a centre mid who actually tries to play forward and has that killer ball and can score that goal out of no where

Just don’t know if he’d be willing to come back into our side and play under Johnson as Robins at Coventry sets his sides up very attacking 

Guess we’ll find out what happens end of the season

4 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

According to LJ he was “ready to compete” when we signed him in Jan 2018.  Article below suggests the same. 

4 hours ago, RedDave said:

Couldn’t bring Walsh back. Wasn’t allowed due to terms of loan 

Is that true?  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/liam-walsh-coventry-bristol-contract-17641998.amp

Seems like we could have but decided not to. 

I liked Walsh when he was here, showed signs of a technically good player that just needed game time. A loan was ideal and hopefully next season there will be a space for him if hes upto this level.

That said, I'm not sure Walsh is what we're missing? Has anyone seen him at Coventry? He wasn't exactly a tough, physical centre mid (from what little i saw of him) he seemed to be a bit of a playmaker. A bit of a Pack without the defensive attributes or pre-injury Nagy.

We've got players that can do that. What we need is an upgrade on Korey to protect our back 4 and let our ball players shine.

I also think with regards to bringing him back, it will much more beneficial for him to see the season out with Coventry and hopefully be part of a title winning or promotion side.

Archived