IGNORED

Liam Walsh

Finley_Smith10

3 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Feel he’d be a centre mid who actually tries to play forward and has that killer ball and can score that goal out of no where

Rest easy, a pre session under Johnson this summer will guarantee there's no chance of seeing any of that talent at Ashton gate next season.

49 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

How many attack minded midfielders are we going to have in the summer? Palmer, Walsh, Szmodics, Morrell (?), Paterson, O’Dowda, Elliasson, Adelukan and probably more. 
We need to lose a couple methinks.

Oh mate fear not we've got the next Gareth Bale due to break into our team any time soon with Jonny smith, and if this fails we can fall back on the ever reliable Watkins.

56 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

How many attack minded midfielders are we going to have in the summer? Palmer, Walsh, Szmodics, Morrell (?), Paterson, O’Dowda, Elliasson, Adelukan and probably more. 

In all honesty though, how many of these players have been given a chance to succeed at City before Johnsons cast them out and declared we are still 2 or 3 players from having a squad capable of promotion? 

Cant imagine anyone honestly thought Szmodics was going to be the player to push the team on to the next level ahead of what was already here when he signed. Baffling signing! 

This to me just sums up johnson though. He has no clue and relies on flair individuals to create our chances. 

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

I liked Walsh when he was here, showed signs of a technically good player that just needed game time. A loan was ideal and hopefully next season there will be a space for him if hes upto this level.

That said, I'm not sure Walsh is what we're missing? Has anyone seen him at Coventry? He wasn't exactly a tough, physical centre mid (from what little i saw of him) he seemed to be a bit of a playmaker. A bit of a Pack without the defensive attributes or pre-injury Nagy.

We've got players that can do that. What we need is an upgrade on Korey to protect our back 4 and let our ball players shine.

I also think with regards to bringing him back, it will much more beneficial for him to see the season out with Coventry and hopefully be part of a title winning or promotion side.

We dont need any more players. We don't need an upgrade on Korey to protect the defence. We have both quality and depth in defence, physicality in midfield with signing of henrikson and korey is perfectly capable of sitting deep in a top championship team as should nagy and massengo be, given their pedigree before signing. 

What we need is a coach to devise a system where the players have an idea of what the game plan is. 

At the moment I can decipher our philosophy is: quality back 4 (rotated every week to ensure this never settles and to break up the partnership between William's and baker that was forming). 1 or 2 players to sit in front just to doubly sure up the defence. The remaining players are picked at random in the hope that they can forge a partnership off their own back with no guidance or attacking philosophy. 

We then rely on not conceding and hope somehow we can get a goal through reliance on the natural quality within the squad. 

Sometimes the attack involves pump ball from the centre backs at diedhiou... if it bounces off him fortunately, maybe wells will use natural instinct to score?

Eliasson has a good cross so we could try a lot of that. When we are losing, chuck the entire team into the box and hope for the best.

No player will succeed in this team until a playing strategy is built and a manager addresses the fact it's his job to build a style of play and make the most of his resources rather than buying players and waiting until we get a premier league quality player and they can carry the team.

19 minutes ago, City18 said:

In all honesty though, how many of these players have been given a chance to succeed at City before Johnsons cast them out and declared we are still 2 or 3 players from having a squad capable of promotion? 

Cant imagine anyone honestly thought Szmodics was going to be the player to push the team on to the next level ahead of what was already here when he signed. Baffling signing! 

This to me just sums up johnson though. He has no clue and relies on flair individuals to create our chances. 

Hang on, we've had people in here who obviously don't want LJ to be here anymore stating that because Walsh has flair he will be sold, he can't get the best out of Palmer because he's a flair player, LJ only signs players who are work horses and solid on the ball, but you seem to claim LJ only relies on flair players?

Which is it then? 

23 minutes ago, City18 said:

Oh mate fear not we've got the next Gareth Bale due to break into our team any time soon with Jonny smith, and if this fails we can fall back on the ever reliable Watkins.

What’s happen to Watkins?

Seems he only plays once or twice every three months then disappears. Are those the terms of his contract?

Wonder if he has another Club, on the side, that he plays for? 

Could it all possibly be traced back to MA getting his lines crossed and dialling up Marley rather than Ollie. Easy mistake to make, except when you see them play on a football pitch. 

All rather bizarre. 

7 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

We don't have a system, style of play or whatever else you call it.

Yes, we should have kept both at City instead of bringing in unfit, injury prone, homesick midfielders but Joe and Liam are probably better off away from Ashton Gate.

5 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Who did we bring in that was injury prone and unfit?  Or are you working with the benefit of hindsight, referring to a player who got injured in a challenge and was rushed back by his country, and then has struggled to regain fitness since?  The first couple of games from Nagy looked like one hell of a signing.  No-one was asking why we'd signed him and sent Walshy on loan.  Just another sad half arsed dig at LJ with no substance behind it.

We're getting enough stuff wrong without having to make shite up.

.....and who was ‘homesick’?

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

But then we get down to LJ and his 'trust' issues.

He clearly never trusted Magnússon and it's fairly obvious he doesn't trust Palmer or Moore. 

An 'issue indeed...

Maybe Lee needs to show a little more faith,,give people the belief that they belong...

A new topic/thread upon the 'nature of trust could be fun!

Coventry fan here

So Walsh started off in a deeper role due to injury to Liam Kelly who he was brought in to cover - and to some extent, didnt look comfortable in that role

As soon as Kelly returned, Walsh has played more offensively, but still not in a forward role, as we have players who fill the number 10 type role

He is aggressive, has an excellent pass, excellent distribution and a decent shot - but very much box to box type 

Far too good for league 1, and expect him to be in the Team of the Season

Happy to look after him next season aswell, and then take him on a Free - if you do not want him

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

What’s happen to Watkins?

I think he's still injured, should be fit soon .

He will then come into the side, impress and be dropped shortly after.

1 hour ago, City18 said:

I have come to the conclusion, Johnson has only minimal say in signings, in or out.  
That would explain why we sign players that clearly don't fit into his preferred system (whatever that is) . TBF on Szmodics, if he's not given a run it's hard to make an impression of any sort.

As for relying on flair players , Palmer may disagree.

Going back to Walsh and Morrell. I think the loan has been brilliant for both, but specially Walsh. I have seen plenty of praise for LW, and some great footage , plus recently more than one Tweet saying he's the best midfielder in the division, although I always think that's a hard one to prove . I would have left Walsh on loan, but would have brought Morrell back and see if it was that little edge that we were missing in the centre of MF. Maybe the new head coach will look at them when he takes over after out mid table season ending capitulation. 

?

6 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

As we know big difference between League 1 and Championship.

Hope he can make the step.

Would probably miss the positive tactics he enjoys at Coventry

Can give Robins a lift with him when he comes back imo. 

8 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I don’t remember many people on OTIB protesting when Walsh was sent to Coventry.  In fact the prevalent view was that his signing had been another of Johnson’s failures.  However he seems to have had a very successful season and has clearly developed as a player so clearly THE LOAN HAS WORKED.  The experience Walsh has gained in League 1 will have been invaluable to him so why are you saying that it shouldn’t have happened?  The whole point of loans is to allow players to develop, yet when a loan is successful people say the player should never have gone on loan on the first place.  Weird.

I can see the argument for bring him and Morrell back in January, but they would not have got the game time they’re getting at their present clubs and it would have been asking a lot for two youngish players to step up and deliver in the top regions of the Championship without any lead-in time.

Any more lead in time for Walsh and the next game he’ll play for us will be his testimonial. 

1 hour ago, skybluefan said:

Coventry fan here

So Walsh started off in a deeper role due to injury to Liam Kelly who he was brought in to cover - and to some extent, didnt look comfortable in that role

As soon as Kelly returned, Walsh has played more offensively, but still not in a forward role, as we have players who fill the number 10 type role

He is aggressive, has an excellent pass, excellent distribution and a decent shot - but very much box to box type 

Happy to look after him next season aswell, and then take him on a Free - if you do not want him

Thanks mate. You've described a perfect replacement for our recently departed Josh Brownhill. 

Best on the ball player the club possesses, his passing range is proper, can dribble well too.

Just need his off the ball part of the game to improve and theres your browhill replacement. 

Bit gutted he was sent out on loan, is his contract up this summer? He didnt get a new deal when he left for the loan in September.

1 hour ago, skybluefan said:

Coventry fan here

Thanks SBF but Walsh is on loan to play competitive league football and that’s not something he’d get at City. I’m sure we’re all delighted to see that he’s tearing up L1 but - all due respect - L1 is not the Championship and there quite a gulf in standard.

LJ knows what Walsh is capable of but felt that he needed regular league matches to gain experience and he wasn’t going to get that game time at City. In effect you guys are developing one of our players for us and we will hopefully see a different and better player when his loan ends.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I think he's still injured, should be fit soon .

He will then come into the side, impress and be dropped shortly after.

I have come to the conclusion, Johnson has only minimal say in signings, in or out.  
That would explain why we sign players that clearly don't fit into his preferred system (whatever that is) . TBF on Szmodics, if he's not given a run it's hard to make an impression of any sort.

As for relying on flair players , Palmer may disagree.

Going back to Walsh and Morrell. I think the loan has been brilliant for both, but specially Walsh. I have seen plenty of praise for LW, and some great footage , plus recently more than one Tweet saying he's the best midfielder in the division, although I always think that's a hard one to prove . I would have left Walsh on loan, but would have brought Morrell back and see if it was that little edge that we were missing in the centre of MF. Maybe the new head coach will look at them when he takes over after out mid table season ending capitulation. 

?

Mid table?!? 

I admire your optimism

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Thanks mate. You've described a perfect replacement for our recently departed Josh Brownhill. 

TBH from what I've seen in clips etc, he has a better passing range than JB, and looks more technical and a better dribbler. If he comes back stronger and can add a tackle he would be an ideal replacement . Morrell for bite/edge and Nagy to sit and keep the ball moving. Sounds a decent MF3 to me.

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Eight players there.

Two start. 
Two benched. 
Two injured. 
Two fallen out with. 

Eight: the perfect number. 

Archived