IGNORED

Liam Walsh

Finley_Smith10

19 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I'm not getting the Morrell love in on here.

He's a good player...like Walsh. Just needed regular men's football to get up to speed.

I actually wouldn't mind a season playing the above team...even if it meant we dropped a few places in the league. Hoping to keep them all and develop the team together for the next season. Lots of quality and movement with those players.

Like I've said in a previous post, we have a team now that has the quality of pretty much 12 teams in this league. All falling for the same trap of type of player thought needed to go up.

29 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I'm not getting the Morrell love in on here.

Still a bit to do with potential improvement , but , he's had a good season (so far) at Lincoln , really showed up when they played Everton and has not looked out of place in the Wales MF. I really think he has a chance to become integral to our MF. I think the club feel similar too, worked hard to get him loan deals when teams weren't breaking down the doors to take him, could pay off next year.

On 03/03/2020 at 17:33, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Best on the ball player the club possesses, his passing range is proper, can dribble well too.

Just need his off the ball part of the game to improve and theres your browhill replacement. 

Bit gutted he was sent out on loan, is his contract up this summer? He didnt get a new deal when he left for the loan in September.

Probably fell out with the head coach.........

22 hours ago, spudski said:

We all know it's a big step up from League 1, however Walsh has been storming it. Watching his highlights at Coventry, he's everything we've been missing in midfield imo.

Couldn't agree more with this! The thought of the link up play we could see with potentially Walsh, Palmer, Afobe & Wells etc all in the same team next year is frightening!

In games that we'd look to dominate, especially at home, I'd look at a 3-5-2 with Walsh alongside a Smith/ Nagy or Morrell in a midfield two with Palmer just ahead and Afobe & Wells up top. Sooo much potential!

Edit* Sorry Spudski - just read the rest of the thread and see you are one step ahead of me - love the look of that team!

7 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Couldn't agree more with this! The thought of the link up play we could see with potentially Walsh, Palmer, Afobe & Wells etc all in the same team next year is frightening!

In games that we'd look to dominate, especially at home, I'd look at a 3-5-2 with Walsh alongside a Smith/ Nagy or Morrell in a midfield two with Palmer just ahead and Afobe & Wells up top. Sooo much potential!

Edit* Sorry Spudski - just read the rest of the thread and see you are one step ahead of me - love the look of that team!

Yeah I agree that is what LJ will be looking to do.

We will sell Fam and Eliasson and go 352. Have ballers in midfield and pace and movement up top.

6 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Not sure that Palmer will be with us next season. If LJ remains (which I think he will) he's going to have to improve significantly to get game time. 

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah I agree that is what LJ will be looking to do.

We will sell Fam and Eliasson and go 352. Have ballers in midfield and pace and movement up top.

Exactly this. We should get some decent money for those two too.

Crazily apart from a right back upgrade on Hunt and of course Afobe if all is well post his recovery from injury I don't think the club needs to bring in anymore first team players in the summer, although LJ talks alot about liking a 'Djuric' style plan B striker so maybe we will see one of those come in. We just need to trim the squad slightly and work on developing the undoubted talent we already have and getting the best out of them and that 352 formation certainly has the potential to do just that.

On 03/03/2020 at 20:32, BS4 on Tour... said:

I heard that rumour a while ago, but wasn’t it just social media speculation? After all Nagy played in Italy for three years before he joined our club ... strange that he’d suddenly be homesick after being abroad for that long ...

He admitted in an interview that he was missing Italy, probably glad he's not there now tho. ??

21 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Not sure that Palmer will be with us next season. If LJ remains (which I think he will) he's going to have to improve significantly to get game time. 

I fear you are right but I hope not - we know how effective he can be behind two pacy strikers both from his performances pre Afobe injury this year and at his time at Huddersfield- playing a key role in them getting promoted in 2016/2017 playing behind Wells and Kachunga - When he's in a team that plays to his strengths he's a quality player at this level and will be such a waste to let him go - especially as we have two strikers in Afobe and Wells who he has such a top proven track record of playing well alongside

1 hour ago, WirralRobin said:

Exactly this. We should get some decent money for those two too.

Crazily apart from a right back upgrade on Hunt and of course Afobe if all is well post his recovery from injury I don't think the club needs to bring in anymore first team players in the summer, although LJ talks alot about liking a 'Djuric' style plan B striker so maybe we will see one of those come in. We just need to trim the squad slightly and work on developing the undoubted talent we already have and getting the best out of them and that 352 formation certainly has the potential to do just that.

I hope we don't get a Djuric type to be honest. Though you're probably right, he does like that option.

I think we may need to get one or two more centre backs in. If we want to keep the ball on the deck then ball playing centre backs would really help.

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I hope we don't get a Djuric type to be honest. Though you're probably right, he does like that option.

I think we may need to get one or two more centre backs in. If we want to keep the ball on the deck then ball playing centre backs would really help.

Agree completely, What do you think he will do with Taylor Moore? Would you put your faith in him next year as a starter? It's a really tough call for me, I really rate the guy and he is obviously extremely intelligent and learning all the time but does he have the height and aggression needed to make him a top championship defender as soon as next year? My issue is if we play the type of side we have been discussing it will be one of the shortest sides we have played consistently in a long time, height will definitely be it's biggest weakness for other teams to exploit so three defenders who can dominate aerially may be a must?

On 03/03/2020 at 18:53, skybluefan said:

agree, I expect Walsh to come back to you, but depending on your style, you may not get the best out of him

if that is the case we will have him back on a free in 12 months

Nope, you won't, he'll still be under 24.

17 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Agree completely, What do you think he will do with Taylor Moore? Would you put your faith in him next year as a starter? It's a really tough call for me, I really rate the guy and he is obviously extremely intelligent and learning all the time but does he have the height and aggression needed to make him a top championship defender as soon as next year? My issue is if we play the type of side we have been discussing it will be one of the shortest sides we have played consistently in a long time, height will definitely be it's biggest weakness for other teams to exploit so three defenders who can dominate aerially may be a must?

I think Moore should be in the side next season. I'm hoping he keeps improving in the air. Him, Kalas and one other over 6 foot, preferably Benkovic kind of height. 

Hopefully then we wouldn't miss Diedhiou when defending corners. 3 centre backs and preferably a couple of other 6 footers in other positions should mean defending set pieces is not a weakness.

Moore is 6’1”.  His height isn’t the main factor making him ready or not next season.  He ain’t gonna grow now!

I don’t agree with height being a necessity / decision point in team selection.  It should be about ability and fit to system.  Wish LJ had never mentioned the height thing, think it’s a bit of an excuse...and it’s been jumped on as being a requirement.

Plenty of decent CB pairings in the Champ that haven’t relied on height.

Webster at 6’3” (ish) wasn’t that great in the air.

Defending set pieces successfully can be achieved without requiring a bunch of 6 footers.  It requires intelligence, discipline and concentration much more than height.

Different types of player IMO- similarly creative.

Weimann makes runs, possibly not always the right type but Weimann at his best certainly makes them.

Could go with Walsh in a 3, Palmer as the '1' and then depending on form/fitness/opposition two out of Weimann, Wells, Afobe up front. Walsh-Palmer-two of those...nice fluid chain, could see it working and play linking well.

Walsh 

Palmer

Weimann/Afobe/Wells- 2 of.

Obviousness you would pick two of Morrell, Nagy, Massengo or Smith to go alongside Walsh in that midfield.

appreciate another thread re LJ press conference but here it is.  

He talks at around 14:20  re Walsh and bit more than last time.  Talks about LW extra year, fantastic talent; (likeable rogue) needed him to be a constant starter and playing games, this is a far better IV and gives us a good insight in other players also knocking on the door.  Great stuff and more like this please.  far better than some served up late. 

Archived