IGNORED

Johnson Roleplay

Shtanley

Episode #94 of the One Stream in Bristol podcast went out last night.

Took ******* ages to edit due to the first 40 minutes being corrupted, meant that some of the great discussion had to be deleted. 

Hopefully it's still listenable.

Give us a review on iTunes and follow us on social media (@osibpodcast)

Listen on iTunes

Listen on Libsyn

Join our private facebook group and get some shiny OSIB stickers to help the podcast grow

This pod makes my commutes at the start of the week far better. Good job lads!

Agree with everything you say apart from that Morrell should have come back in January. Personally, I think Walsh would have been a much better replacement for Brownhill and this is being shown in his form for Cov.

Great episode.

Enjoyed the new feature of "Gregor's Grog". 4 Gregors out of 5 for the 6 cans of white lightning on the train up before his blog.

I'm glad people are realising it's not just Lee that will need replacing if things take a bad turn, it's the whole transfer team/department that identifies talent which is problematic. I think people have forgotten how bad league one is, while they're busy slagging off the championship!

To be fair @Shtanley your frustration in that intro has persuaded me to become a Patron. I'll sign up when I get round to it.

This was a rare episode where you haven't described applauding opposition players ? Maybe next season you should aim to applaud at least one player from the opposition in every match. My Patreon money is your sponsorship...

A lot is made of Johnson’s man management in this podcast, but unless you hear directly from a player that it’s poor, we don’t really know if it is or not. 

His digging out of the players publicly comes across as a poor tactic from him, but we don’t know if they react well to this or not. Hate to use a Robbored-esque line but after he digs them out he might find he gets a way more responsive player in training that week but we don’t get to see that side of things. 

Performances have been poor the entire season, the scoffing at the people suggesting the likes of Warnock/Allardyce annoyed me a little

I think you suggested the job was beneath Allardyce because he rescues teams from relegation for millions of pounds but he himself recently said he is waiting for the right job & would take one in the championship. 

Warnock football is shit, shit but also winning football. Pre his Rotherham management days I didn’t like him much, but the way he transformed that team and kept them up makes me think he’d be great to come in now and get a tune out of this squad.

Also the point regarding squad size - I tend to agree with you that there’s too many players, but I think they’ve gone for a bigger squad this season because they blamed falling away the last two seasons on a tired squad & not having enough options when we’ve had injuries. 

Pronunciation query...

Now that the podders have corrected their pronunciation of our Swedish wing wizard from Ee-lliasson to Ell-eye-asson, why is our loaned midfielder pronounced Back-inson instead of Bake-inson? Surely the single K necessitates a 'bake' sound?

Meanwhile, is it correct to say con-tribute instead of contri-bute... I genuinely don't know?!

Mind blown. Back in box.

53 minutes ago, mozo said:

Pronunciation query...

Now that the podders have corrected their pronunciation of our Swedish wing wizard from Ee-lliasson to Ell-eye-asson, why is our loaned midfielder pronounced Back-inson instead of Bake-inson? Surely the single K necessitates a 'bake' sound?

Meanwhile, is it correct to say con-tribute instead of contri-bute... I genuinely don't know?!

Mind blown. Back in box.

no 'e' in Bakinson is what does it, i assume - the man himself called himself Back-inson in an interview so we ran with it from there!

44 minutes ago, petehinton said:

no 'e' in Bakinson is what does it, i assume - the man himself called himself Back-inson in an interview so we ran with it from there!

Well English is crazy isn't it? I mean given how we pronounce 'baking' I'd be inclined to disagree with you. But then I'd have to change my pronunciation of Paterson too, so I'll just shut up...

5 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

A lot is made of Johnson’s man management in this podcast, but unless you hear directly from a player that it’s poor, we don’t really know if it is or not. 

His digging out of the players publicly comes across as a poor tactic from him, but we don’t know if they react well to this or not. Hate to use a Robbored-esque line but after he digs them out he might find he gets a way more responsive player in training that week but we don’t get to see that side of things. 

Performances have been poor the entire season, the scoffing at the people suggesting the likes of Warnock/Allardyce annoyed me a little

I think you suggested the job was beneath Allardyce because he rescues teams from relegation for millions of pounds but he himself recently said he is waiting for the right job & would take one in the championship. 

Warnock football is shit, shit but also winning football. Pre his Rotherham management days I didn’t like him much, but the way he transformed that team and kept them up makes me think he’d be great to come in now and get a tune out of this squad.

Also the point regarding squad size - I tend to agree with you that there’s too many players, but I think they’ve gone for a bigger squad this season because they blamed falling away the last two seasons on a tired squad & not having enough options when we’ve had injuries. 

For me it’s more the short term-ism of it. Trading in a 5 year ‘project’ with LJ for a few months/year or so with Warnock or Allardyce (hypothetically), is it really worth it to then be back at square one a fairly short amount of time afterwards?

34 minutes ago, petehinton said:

For me it’s more the short term-ism of it. Trading in a 5 year ‘project’ with LJ for a few months/year or so with Warnock or Allardyce (hypothetically), is it really worth it to then be back at square one a fairly short amount of time afterwards?

Sorry to jump in your conversation, but it would only be worth it if it secured promotion (£100m). Short-termism is fine only when it pays off big. That's the gamble.

On 03/03/2020 at 09:44, Shtanley said:

Took ******* ages to edit due to the first 40 minutes being corrupted, meant that some of the great discussion had to be deleted. 

Listen on iTunes

Listen on Libsyn

Join our private facebook group and get some shiny OSIB stickers to help the podcast grow

Read so much nonsese about Johnson recently. Refreshing to hear your comments.

On 03/03/2020 at 09:44, Shtanley said:

Listen on iTunes

Listen on Libsyn

Superb again @Shtanley thank you!

Part of the huge appeal of the podcast IS it’s amateurish (take that the right way!) style.

It would be awful if it became slick and professional. 

The more mistakes the better!

I particularly concur with your sentiment on blooding our youngsters @Shtanley

We're getting close to putting our academy into real jeapordy if it carries on. Maybe not a huge concern today, but how long before prospective academy entrants look at BCFC and think, "nah, it's not my first or second option as the pathway is non existent and I don't want to be on loan, far away from Bristol, at best". 

Our academy doesn't seem to have a huge number of enviable traits right now. We might have some great talented lads, but why are they so mismatched with our first team (assuming they are)?

Archived