IGNORED

Johnson Roleplay

Shtanley

I enjoyed this week a lot, especially the role play!  In particular how @Shtanley skilfully channels Johnson’s capacity to spin an unwanted record as a personal triumph. 

Totally agree on the - why sack Johnson now? angle. It’s not going to happen and it shouldn’t. 

That being said I do think it’s really 50-50 in the summer if he stays or goes. One think you didn’t talk about was the financial element of being sacked or resigning. He isn’t going to unilaterally give up his contract with no pay-off but the good relationship between Johnsons / Lansdowns suggests a better chance of a compromise package which could be spun as amicable mutual consent. I agree LJ would never accept sacking him was justified. 

I do think the - ‘who else if not LJ?’ argument shows a lack of confidence as a club. Sure some of the big names are a bit outlandish. But City is an attractive job for someone to come in to an established championship club with a patient chairman set on reaching the Prem. 

On that theme I reckon finishing 7th is the worst of all worlds for the unity of the different fan factions. For Johson-outers it shows he hasn’t got what it takes for promotion. Johnson-inners can say it’s ‘progress’ having sold our best players (again) and lost our main striker to a season of injury. And more importantly no one gets to enjoy the playoffs. I might have to never go on Otib again if this happens. 

Personally I am withholding judgment til the summer and hoping for some excitement and decent Ashton Gate atmospheres in the final 10 (or 13?) games. 

On 04/03/2020 at 14:40, petehinton said:

For me it’s more the short term-ism of it. Trading in a 5 year ‘project’ with LJ for a few months/year or so with Warnock or Allardyce (hypothetically), is it really worth it to then be back at square one a fairly short amount of time afterwards?

Not sure what the 5 year project was, whether it stalled after "the Cup run " of 17/18, if it changed direction or what. There is no resemblance to that team , in this one. We played probably THE BEST football we ever have in my lifetime, and now?

As for , what many would see as a horror show prospect , Warnock or Allardyce. Do you know the scary thing? If either came in, the football couldn't get any worse, but the results, organisation and direction would most likely improve. Thats where we are at the moment. So that square one, could potentially be (if not a Poem side) a team that lost in, or just missed out on the playoffs, looking for a new head coach. Good squad, good mix of ages and cover throughout. Not a bad square one I must admit.

Thing is, none of our opinions matter, we can grumble and moan and suggest new men to take over, but it will be when the main man decides he's done , that will be when Johnson departs . We are where we are until the summer IMO, when I think the end will come, unless by some miracle we go up.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Not sure what the 5 year project was, whether it stalled after "the Cup run " of 17/18, if it changed direction or what. There is no resemblance to that team , in this one. We played probably THE BEST football we ever have in my lifetime, and now?

It seems to me like when Cardiff went up and Reid left, Johnson decided to take inspiration from Warnock and tweak his style to be more streetwise and more pragmatic. This seems to have been at the expense of our flair, and more recently our confidence in attacking areas.

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

It seems to me like when Cardiff went up and Reid left, Johnson decided to take inspiration from Warnock and tweak his style to be more streetwise and more pragmatic. This seems to have been at the expense of our flair, and more recently our confidence in attacking areas.

Possibly, that would explain the (lack of) style of play, which to be fair has been successful away from home. But our home form, for the best part of 18 months has been awful, and the one thing that Warnock does bring is winning shit football .

@Shtanley one thing I meant to say. In the Podcast you questioned the January signings , and why we made them. I have a theory.

Wells is the mobile striker we have needed for an age, and more so since Afobe's injury. So makes sense.
Henriksen I see as an attempt to replace Brownhill, again makes sense.
Benkovic, I believe was the last piece to enable Johnson to set up the team as he wants. Benkovic is the ball winning, aerial defender that replaces the need for Fam in defence, which allows Wells to play up front and bring in Palmer. 
The problem is/was that Fam was our best player around Jan, and almost impossible to drop. A bit like Eliasson leading assists when we don't have a natural position for a winger. The other problem is I think KP needs a run to get up to speed, and we don't have enough time for that. Plus Benkovic has looked anything but a £13m player.

Just the musings of a MISOG, but they seem to make sense to me. The recent run has given LJ a clean sheet to pick whatever formation, and whatever lineup he dam well wants. Lets hope it works.

Great podcast this week. It's nice to listen to sensible heated debate about the club, with some hard, real questions and criticisms, but without the need to always fall back on the same conclusion - sack someone.

And @Shtanley - GregorMcgreagorface has 100% trolled you there. "Ooh I almost forgot"....Well it's the podcast named after the website you spend most of your day on and get 99% of your material mate :whistle2:

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

@Shtanley one thing I meant to say. In the Podcast you questioned the January signings , and why we made them. I have a theory.

Wells is the mobile striker we have needed for an age, and more so since Afobe's injury. So makes sense.
Henriksen I see as an attempt to replace Brownhill, again makes sense.
Benkovic, I believe was the last piece to enable Johnson to set up the team as he wants. Benkovic is the ball winning, aerial defender that replaces the need for Fam in defence, which allows Wells to play up front and bring in Palmer. 
The problem is/was that Fam was our best player around Jan, and almost impossible to drop. A bit like Eliasson leading assists when we don't have a natural position for a winger. The other problem is I think KP needs a run to get up to speed, and we don't have enough time for that. Plus Benkovic has looked anything but a £13m player.

Just the musings of a MISOG, but they seem to make sense to me. The recent run has given LJ a clean sheet to pick whatever formation, and whatever lineup he dam well wants. Lets hope it works.

I like your thought processes. ??

17 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

As for , what many would see as a horror show prospect , Warnock or Allardyce. Do you know the scary thing? If either came in, the football couldn't get any worse, but the results, organisation and direction would most likely improve. Thats where we are at the moment. So that square one, could potentially be (if not a Poem side) a team that lost in, or just missed out on the playoffs, looking for a new head coach. Good squad, good mix of ages and cover throughout. Not a bad square one I must admit.

Thing is, none of our opinions matter, we can grumble and moan and suggest new men to take over, but it will be when the main man decides he's done , that will be when Johnson departs . We are where we are until the summer IMO, when I think the end will come, unless by some miracle we go up.

IMHO, i think our 'identity' a few years wasn't really that, it was just called Bobby Reid. He offered such a huge shift in our style, press, energy etc etc and was such a wildcard that season it totally changed us. Maybe LJ wanted Weimann to become Reid v2 to help us keep that style, but I find it intriguing that as soon as Reid left was when we seemingly totally changed our style.

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

IMHO, i think our 'identity' a few years wasn't really that, it was just called Bobby Reid. He offered such a huge shift in our style, press, energy etc etc and was such a wildcard that season it totally changed us. Maybe LJ wanted Weimann to become Reid v2 to help us keep that style, but I find it intriguing that as soon as Reid left was when we seemingly totally changed our style.

Imho, I think Diedhiou’s introduction / re-introduction has had a big impact.  Had LJ partnered Weimann (the Reid replacement) with Paterson instead of bringing Fam back in, I think we may’ve could’ve kept the high press, allowing Pack / Brownhill / Smith to rotate and avoid fatigue.  He would still have needed a RM to replace Brownhill (who has now moved inside), but at the time O’Dowda seemed a good replacement for Joe Bryan on LM.

I don’t like being critical of Fam, because he’s done a decent job for us, but he is not conducive to short, passing, quick tempo football.  He has given some v.good away performances, I can not deny that....but he does not work a press like we need him to.

On 04/03/2020 at 12:53, mozo said:

Pronunciation query...

Now that the podders have corrected their pronunciation of our Swedish wing wizard from Ee-lliasson to Ell-eye-asson, why is our loaned midfielder pronounced Back-inson instead of Bake-inson? Surely the single K necessitates a 'bake' sound?

Meanwhile, is it correct to say con-tribute instead of contri-bute... I genuinely don't know?!

Mind blown. Back in box.

The Great Bristol Bake Off … 

BBC2  Weds 9pm . ;) 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Imho, I think Diedhiou’s introduction / re-introduction has had a big impact.  Had LJ partnered Weimann (the Reid replacement) with Paterson instead of bringing Fam back in, I think we may’ve could’ve kept the high press, allowing Pack / Brownhill / Smith to rotate and avoid fatigue.  He would still have needed a RM to replace Brownhill (who has now moved inside), but at the time O’Dowda seemed a good replacement for Joe Bryan on LM.

I don’t like being critical of Fam, because he’s done a decent job for us, but he is not conducive to short, passing, quick tempo football.  He has given some v.good away performances, I can not deny that....but he does not work a press like we need him to.

I said elsewhere that LJ seemed last season to opt for a Warnockisation of our playing style which included more s--thousery (which we all applauded), a more direct %s approach (much maligned) and the big man up top (not that Fam is a traditional lump up front).

We've still played silky stuff at times, but there did seem to be a change of tact.

I have a theory that having watched our high press fatigue fail us in the latter stages of the Reid season, LJ had an 'if you can't beat em, join em' moment. 

I might just be deluded though!

Archived