IGNORED

Kasey Palmer (Merged)

BigAl&Toby

I will be fair to LJ on this one thing, that Kasey when coming on every time since Charlton game has been so bad, we'd probably have looked better with 10 men.

Hard to trust a player playing that badly.

What is a player supposed to do when only on pitch 20 minutes at a time? Play much better than that, that's what!

Don’t understand the big thing around KP hasn't set the world alight and is held in such high regard around our fans. 

He’s a luxury who doesn’t produce enough, technical ability isn’t doubt but his product since coming to the club has undoubtedly been poor. 

6 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Don’t understand the big thing around KP hasn't set the world alight and is held in such high regard around our fans. 

He’s a luxury who doesn’t produce enough, technical ability isn’t doubt but his product since coming to the club has undoubtedly been poor. 

Agree it is a strange one

27 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Then why buy him in the first place?

Didn't Ashton realise that before he got Steve to get his cheque book out?

Don’t tell me this has only come to light? And what about the others who couldn’t be  managed.......

Is it they who are luxuries who can’t be managed or coached? Or is it they with their badges who can’t get the best from those they were so desperate to sign in the first place?

Chicken or egg anyone? 

31 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Just like during his loan so why sign him ?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I will be fair to LJ on this one thing, that Kasey when coming on every time since Charlton game has been so bad, we'd probably have looked better with 10 men.

Hard to trust a player playing that badly.

What is a player supposed to do when only on pitch 20 minutes at a time? Play much better than that, that's what!

I do agree with this. Other teams. and even us at times, can bring players on who completely change the game. Kasey even with such limited time hasn't, and doesn't look like he will if he played all night at times. He did link up really well with Afobe, and it had the makings of a great partnership, who knows what might have been.

I do think though a lot of his popularity was on the back end of a few good appearances last season and a catchy song. I'm sure we would never have bought him if we only had seen his sub appearances from this season, that said Chelsea saw something in him once.

May be a good passer in sporadic moments but hes as strong as a wet paperbag and needlessly fouls constantly.

We dont have the midfield two behind him to let him try and get a bit of form. How can he go and try creating opportunities if our midfield is as stable as said wet paperbags. 

Nagy only controls a ball half the time, Massengo runs like hes shat himself and is carrying a nappy around in his underpants and Korey can tackle sometimes and pass sideways but hes always getting burned by other midfield players for pace and strength and Henriksen looks like he hasnt played football since the 70s. 

Im being over dramatic for effect but the point still stands about thise lads. Our midfield isnt quick enough, physically and witted enough to pinch possession quickly. Our players are always yards off of loose balls and the players arent strong enough. Lose way too many battles and then boom our defence is exposed time after time and we concede tons of stupid chances that a team with our quality and money spent shouldn't be conceding.

5 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Neither of these two are playing today. When asked why he said “not in the squad”. 

When asked why he shrugged his shoulders, said “no idea” and walked off. Didn’t look happy.

Head coach. I wouldn’t trust him behind the wheel of a Peter Carol.....

7C992701-E565-4F9E-AEE4-109A5433C39D.jpeg

I believe the main reason he’s out the squad is because every time he’s played recently he has been absolutely shit. Just a hunch. 

Why was he signed? He isn’t any different to last season.... 

yet he was signed, when last season we were told “unless I get KP in for a full pre season with me we won’t sign him” by LJ. 

we signed Smzodics, (who was good pre season) and then 3 days before the start of the season, KP arrived..... 

szmodics now our on loan after 4 appearances 

KP not even in the squad and no League start in 97 days! 

Yet COD starts and comes on all the time. 

I think Kp is done here- and probably best for both if he moves on. 

but would you trust Ashton and LJ with your cash? 

From GregorMacGregorface today:

There is no doubt that City’s attack has spluttered of late. Just a single shot on target in four of the last six league games and two in another.

Only Luton average fewer shots on target than City this season. Although, to be fair, City have still scored the seventh most goals in the Championship this season. (Go figure?!)

And then you have a creative talent such as Kasey Palmer not even involved (whose stats show that he is one of the best dribblers and progressive pass makers in the squad). 

I’m not saying Palmer should start every game - but he should at least be getting a look-in, especially given that the service to the front guys is so poor. 

Why is he continually out in the cold? Lee Johnson obviously doesn’t trust Palmer or see enough from him on the training pitch to play him.

That’s a shame and leads to questions of the club, as Palmer cost in the region of £4m (according to our sources) last summer and is one of the highest earners at Bristol City. Having been on loan previously, the head coach knew exactly what he would get.

Johnson explained at the end of last season that he was willing to work again with Palmer if the attacking midfielder put in a full pre-season and worked on his fitness, which Palmer clearly did - although strangely was signed at the end of the summer.

Why was the player signed if Lee Johnson is reticent to play him? It suggests that things are not in agreement behind the scenes and there is a lack of coherency higher up at the club, as well as on the pitch.

At the moment it looks like Palmer will move on in the summer for first-team football and who can blame him if he won’t get game time in BS3?

On the other hand, the season is long and if Wells - and Afobe start playing consistently - then that may enhance the chances of Palmer coming back into the side, playing regularly and remaining at Ashton Gate, as he developed a good playing relationship with Afobe while Palmer was recently cited by Johnson as a reason for signing Wells.

Didn’t really impress last season, so no idea why we signed him. This season we had a few decent passes early on, but since then, he has been poor. You should judge a player by what he does on the pitch, not what you imagine that he might do, if he was a better all round player!

On 29/02/2020 at 20:12, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Why was he signed? He isn’t any different to last season.... 

yet he was signed, when last season we were told “unless I get KP in for a full pre season with me we won’t sign him” by LJ. 

we signed Smzodics, (who was good pre season) and then 3 days before the start of the season, KP arrived..... 

szmodics now our on loan after 4 appearances 

KP not even in the squad and no League start in 97 days! 

Yet COD starts and comes on all the time. 

I think Kp is done here- and probably best for both if he moves on. 

but would you trust Ashton and LJ with your cash? 

Lots of fair questions / comments there OST.

We can probably all agree overall he hasn’t hit the heights that we think his talent should - albeit talent is no guarantee of performance.

But why?  I’ll provide the “case for Kasey” (no pun intended).

I see it quite simply:

• a general shift away from 5212 where we went 10 unbeaten following defeat to Leeds on opening day (where Imho Szmodics should’ve started over Kasey)
  • the introduction of a striker (Diedhiou) back into the team (regularly) who has not developed a partnership with Weimann in two seasons and by co-incidence Palmer neither 

Was Palmer brilliant in those opening 10-11 games? Nope, but a goal and 2 assists in those games (600-700 mins) wasn’t bad, and Weimann and Afobe were thriving from his through balls and passes into them.  So was Massengo with someone available to give the ball to early.

Yes, he was crap v Luton, but so were half the team.  Since then he’s pretty much been cast aside.

I think he will leave in the summer, and I think it will be a shame.

Finally sentence of yours.....no, not particularly, no.

• The title was changed to Kasey Palmer (Merged)
36 minutes ago, TheSM said:

I'm planning to produce a piece on the absence of Kasey Palmer, and would like to hear the opinions of you lot on this, which will be included in the article.

If you are unfamiliar with my work, my author page is below.

https://thesportsdespatch.com/author/sammoores

Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Can’t you just look back through the multitude of posts on the subject ? 

For me KP is a very talented player who can create and score goals.

He needs to learn when and where to try and turn his man ( something he does exquisitely most of the time) ie not on the D of our own penalty area and how to tackle or not as the case may be . 

He is not the finished article and never will be if LJ doesn’t give him a run of starts . 

LJ criticised his fitness last season and the lad put in extra work with fitness ace Jamie Lawrence seemingly for nothing .

So it should be difficult to question his attitude also considering how happy he was to be settled at the club and determined to crack on with his career. 

It is a waste of a talent and certainly something which LJ’s critics can justifiably use against him .

I was looking forward to watching the lad blossom this season. 

Archived