Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

BigAl&Toby

Kasey Palmer (Merged)

Neither of these two are playing today. When asked why he said “not in the squad”. 

When asked why he shrugged his shoulders, said “no idea” and walked off. Didn’t look happy.

Head coach. I wouldn’t trust him behind the wheel of a Peter Carol.....

7C992701-E565-4F9E-AEE4-109A5433C39D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

The reported fall out many weeks ago that was rubbished by some must have happened.

He has gone from a regular starter to an occasional sub at best and before people start on form, yes he has not been great in the fleeting glimpses we have seen of late BUT :-

1. that can be said of many others who continue to get chances

2. he is often coming on from the bench in to a side performing poorly, often losing the game and is expected to turn it on and ends up trying too hard

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Langford Red said:

LJ really has lost it

When is SL going to realise what is going on there

It is LJs job to manage the players

But all he does is upset them

LJ IS NOT BIGGER THAN THIS CLUB

But but but, Kasey Palmer has been sh*t.  Why does him being left out prove that LJ has lost it?  Palmer needs to realise that the world doesn’t owe him a living.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Aubergine 2

Imagine starting playing pre-season in and outside of the Chelsea first team, moving to a team that supposedly really wants you and you get shoved almost completely out of the team by a manager out of his depth and clueless. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

But but but, Kasey Palmer has been sh*t.  Why does him being left out prove that LJ has lost it?  Palmer needs to realise that the world doesn’t owe him a living.

Yes but he should get a run in the team, not 10 mins every couple of weeks. Joke.

Edited by RedEyez
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

“Kasey Palmer has been shit”- He’s played 33 minutes since the Sheffield Wednesday game in December. THIRTY THREE. Everyone has been terrible lately and Kasey still can’t get a decent look in. Somethings not right. 

• Like 15

11 minutes ago, Langford Red said:

LJ really has lost it

When is SL going to realise what is going on there

It is LJs job to manage the players

But all he does is upset them

LJ IS NOT BIGGER THAN THIS CLUB

Last chance saloon for LJ today with all those changes!

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

So have o'dowda and weimann but yet...

• Like 2

Think he needs a runner ahead of him to be effective. We didn't sign one in the window despite trying to.

So... that's the football reason I believe is behind him not playing. So rather than a failure of man management I think it's a failure of the transfer team, to bring him in, and/or to fail to bring in players that work for him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

“Kasey Palmer has been shit”- He’s played 33 minutes since the Sheffield Wednesday game in December. THIRTY THREE. Everyone has been terrible lately and Kasey still can’t get a decent look in. Somethings not right. 

He also played 90 against Shrewsbury in the cup and was the only decent performer that day. 

2 minutes ago, Prinny said:

Think he needs a runner ahead of him to be effective. We didn't sign one in the window despite trying to.

So... that's the football reason I believe is behind him not playing. So rather than a failure of man management I think it's a failure of the transfer team, to bring him in, and/or to fail to bring in players that work for him.

Nahki Wells?

Kasey Palmer is a quality attacking midfielder who should be playing at the head of a midfield free / in behind a forward who makes runs.  We haven't given him the opportunity to succeed this season which is a real shame.  I'd very much enjoy the sort of football that he could enable us to play - incisive counter attacks in behind the defence rather than aimless ******* punts at Fam. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Kibs said:

He also played 90 against Shrewsbury in the cup and was the only decent performer that day. 

Nahki Wells?

Course, yeah. Blimey I forgot about that game. When we switched to 4-2-3-1 with him central he looked really good and I thought that was a positive sign of things to come but alas 

Edited by Wade Wilson

13 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

Yes but he should get a run in the team, not 10 mins every couple of weeks. Joke.

Disagree completely. Everytime he's come on recently he's made is look like we're playing with 10 men. Cannot believe for 1 second fans would be willing to accept his performances and us looking even weaker just to give him a run. He has not even come close to improving us when he's come on and given how we've been playing we cannot afford to carry players just because KP is popular.  You can also guarantee it would take about 5 minutes of him on the pitch before fans start tearing in to Lee again. This is just an excuse to have another go at LJ again and is getting boring now.

I'm in no way happy with the tactics or team performances lately and beginning to think LJ has taken us as far as he can, but Palmer isn't the answer to our problems.

Kasey needs to be impressing regularly in training and earning his chance rather than just starting him in the hope he gets better or might improve us.

And if the rumour is true that hes been given the afternoon of to go site seeing then he should have said, no it's ok, I'm going to come and watch and support the team from the stands. 

Edited by Loco Rojo
  • Like 2
  • Rovers 3

2 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

Course, yeah. Blimey I forgot about that game. When we switched to 4-2-3-1 with him central he looked really good and I thought that was a positive sign of things to come but alas 

7 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Nahki Wells?

He didn't track the runner for the goal that knocked us out. That was the end of him.

Nahki Wells isn't that defence stretching player from what I've seen.

6 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Kasey Palmer is a quality attacking midfielder who should be playing at the head of a midfield free / in behind a forward who makes runs.  We haven't given him the opportunity to succeed this season which is a real shame.  I'd very much enjoy the sort of football that he could enable us to play - incisive counter attacks in behind the defence rather than aimless ******* punts at Fam. 

100% this

18 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Who’s said he does believe the world owes him a living? You suggesting he has a bad attitude?

Edited by Carey 6

17 minutes ago, Prinny said:

He didn't track the runner for the goal that knocked us out. That was the end of him.

Against Birmingham Weimann scored one of the worst, stupidest own goals I’ve ever seen and then proceeded to put in one of the worst performances in recent memory.

He’s starting today. In Kasey’s position. 

2 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

Against Birmingham Weimann scored one of the worst, stupidest own goals I’ve ever seen and then proceeded to put in one of the worst performances in recent memory.

Technical error isn't the same as a not following instructions/lack of effort error. 

35 minutes ago, RedEyez said:

What, like he did at Blackburn?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Neither of these two are playing today. When asked why he said “not in the squad”. 

When asked why he shrugged his shoulders, said “no idea” and walked off. Didn’t look happy.

To be fair, Kasey hasn’t looked great when he does play, it’s one of the few decisions I actually agree with

Palmer looked classy at the start of the season when he had Afobe, a quality striker at this level, making probing runs ahead of him. It’s no coincidence his form dropped after Benik got injured.

There’s no other striker in the squad who’s on Kasey’s wavelength. Maybe Wells is but we’ve yet to see it.

Sometimes players, especially maverick ones, need an arm around the shoulder and to be encouraged instead of being made a scapegoat by a manager who barely played a game for anyone else than his old man. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

You’re a fair bit younger than I imagined 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

You’re a fair bit younger than I imagined 

Reckon that's probably Toby rather than BigA.

• Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

We were shocking. Again.

Looked clueless. Again.

Tried the same thing. Again and again......

So few shots. Again.

For those asking I’m the KP lookey likey. And the other is the boy.

😂

• Haha 2

He’ll be back in next week under the Johnson Tombola...... I’d rather we play (or at least attempt) neat, attacking football with Palmer rather than bypassing our midfield with aimless lumps to Diedhiou who then has no support

God knows why LJ bought him, never his kind of player and never likely to change into his type of player, just like Tomlin.

Very much like his Dad and Trundle, too much skill, too much risk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

God knows why LJ bought him, never his kind of player and never likely to change into his type of player, just like Tomlin.

Very much like his Dad and Trundle, too much skill, too much risk

One word... Ego

But who am i referring to?

I will be fair to LJ on this one thing, that Kasey when coming on every time since Charlton game has been so bad, we'd probably have looked better with 10 men.

Hard to trust a player playing that badly.

What is a player supposed to do when only on pitch 20 minutes at a time? Play much better than that, that's what!

Edited by JonDolman

Don’t understand the big thing around KP hasn't set the world alight and is held in such high regard around our fans. 

He’s a luxury who doesn’t produce enough, technical ability isn’t doubt but his product since coming to the club has undoubtedly been poor. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Don’t understand the big thing around KP hasn't set the world alight and is held in such high regard around our fans. 

He’s a luxury who doesn’t produce enough, technical ability isn’t doubt but his product since coming to the club has undoubtedly been poor. 

Agree it is a strange one

3 hours ago, Wade Wilson said:

Because weiman is one of ljs busy bees

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

Because weiman is one of ljs busy bees

There can't be many teams in this division that wouldn't start NE, KP or NW 10million pound he can't fit in the team which is a joke.... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Then why buy him in the first place?

Didn't Ashton realise that before he got Steve to get his cheque book out?

Don’t tell me this has only come to light? And what about the others who couldn’t be  managed.......

Is it they who are luxuries who can’t be managed or coached? Or is it they with their badges who can’t get the best from those they were so desperate to sign in the first place?

Chicken or egg anyone? 

31 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Just like during his loan so why sign him ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I will be fair to LJ on this one thing, that Kasey when coming on every time since Charlton game has been so bad, we'd probably have looked better with 10 men.

Hard to trust a player playing that badly.

What is a player supposed to do when only on pitch 20 minutes at a time? Play much better than that, that's what!

I do agree with this. Other teams. and even us at times, can bring players on who completely change the game. Kasey even with such limited time hasn't, and doesn't look like he will if he played all night at times. He did link up really well with Afobe, and it had the makings of a great partnership, who knows what might have been.

I do think though a lot of his popularity was on the back end of a few good appearances last season and a catchy song. I'm sure we would never have bought him if we only had seen his sub appearances from this season, that said Chelsea saw something in him once.

• Like 1

May be a good passer in sporadic moments but hes as strong as a wet paperbag and needlessly fouls constantly.

We dont have the midfield two behind him to let him try and get a bit of form. How can he go and try creating opportunities if our midfield is as stable as said wet paperbags. 

Nagy only controls a ball half the time, Massengo runs like hes shat himself and is carrying a nappy around in his underpants and Korey can tackle sometimes and pass sideways but hes always getting burned by other midfield players for pace and strength and Henriksen looks like he hasnt played football since the 70s. 

Im being over dramatic for effect but the point still stands about thise lads. Our midfield isnt quick enough, physically and witted enough to pinch possession quickly. Our players are always yards off of loose balls and the players arent strong enough. Lose way too many battles and then boom our defence is exposed time after time and we concede tons of stupid chances that a team with our quality and money spent shouldn't be conceding.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

I believe the main reason he’s out the squad is because every time he’s played recently he has been absolutely shit. Just a hunch. 

Why was he signed? He isn’t any different to last season.... 

yet he was signed, when last season we were told “unless I get KP in for a full pre season with me we won’t sign him” by LJ. 

we signed Smzodics, (who was good pre season) and then 3 days before the start of the season, KP arrived..... 

szmodics now our on loan after 4 appearances 

KP not even in the squad and no League start in 97 days! 

Yet COD starts and comes on all the time. 

I think Kp is done here- and probably best for both if he moves on. 

but would you trust Ashton and LJ with your cash? 

• Like 2

From GregorMacGregorface today:

There is no doubt that City’s attack has spluttered of late. Just a single shot on target in four of the last six league games and two in another.

Only Luton average fewer shots on target than City this season. Although, to be fair, City have still scored the seventh most goals in the Championship this season. (Go figure?!)

And then you have a creative talent such as Kasey Palmer not even involved (whose stats show that he is one of the best dribblers and progressive pass makers in the squad). 

I’m not saying Palmer should start every game - but he should at least be getting a look-in, especially given that the service to the front guys is so poor. 

Why is he continually out in the cold? Lee Johnson obviously doesn’t trust Palmer or see enough from him on the training pitch to play him.

That’s a shame and leads to questions of the club, as Palmer cost in the region of £4m (according to our sources) last summer and is one of the highest earners at Bristol City. Having been on loan previously, the head coach knew exactly what he would get.

Johnson explained at the end of last season that he was willing to work again with Palmer if the attacking midfielder put in a full pre-season and worked on his fitness, which Palmer clearly did - although strangely was signed at the end of the summer.

Why was the player signed if Lee Johnson is reticent to play him? It suggests that things are not in agreement behind the scenes and there is a lack of coherency higher up at the club, as well as on the pitch.

At the moment it looks like Palmer will move on in the summer for first-team football and who can blame him if he won’t get game time in BS3?

On the other hand, the season is long and if Wells - and Afobe start playing consistently - then that may enhance the chances of Palmer coming back into the side, playing regularly and remaining at Ashton Gate, as he developed a good playing relationship with Afobe while Palmer was recently cited by Johnson as a reason for signing Wells.

• Like 1