IGNORED

Away Attendances League Table

And Its Smith

6 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

We can't change the location of where we watch our team from.

Further away we go away from Bristol,the away fans attending drop off

Our location isn't that bad.

There's at least 5 or 6 clubs that I'm very surprised we're below.

Probably suffering from over-familiarity with the division i.e. no new grounds to visit. 

I think part of the reason our attendances suffer up north is because there just aren't that many exiled Bristolians north of Brum. That's my impression, not backed up with any evidence mind. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder if we were allowed to take full allocations for Cardiff and Reading whether we wouldn’t jump into the top half?

Most likely, with Fulham being on a Tuesday too. Lots of if's & but's though that I'm sure all clubs could say.

2019-EFL-Championship-England-Map.png?w=

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Plymouth away attendances excellent which shows location needn’t make too much of a difference. 

Agree, teams like Newcastle, Sunderland, Boro have strong away followings, they must travel as far as us, Portsmouth travel some miles and they seem to take big numbers, Norwich another outpost with large away support.

Barnsley away on a Friday night on Sky, Sheff Wed away on Sunday at noon, two days before Christmas, and Huddersfield away on a Tuesday night probably bring our number down relative to other clubs, given we're talking about the average of no more than 18 games so far, of which those 3 would have been out of most people's reach due to work/family/travel.

Generally midweek games away always disadvantage us, we do not travel well beyond Birmingham or London, where other clubs often get fixtures no more than 1-2 hours away and with a fighting chance of making it after work. Ditto away boxing day probably is a disadvantage in this table. The only Saturday away we were actually pathetic was Hull, no one turned up!

Nice to see Leeds and Sheff Wed miles out in front, the cynic in me would point out they also have the two most expensive away tickets in the division, perhaps it's a desperate ploy to stay top of this table! I wonder if they'd look quite so good relative to the rest of us if they were miles from everyone and had to pay their own £40 away ticket price 23 times a season? 

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder if we were allowed to take full allocations for Cardiff and Reading whether we wouldn’t jump into the top half?

Working it back. If we've an average of 1,171 from 19 matches then that's a total of 22,249. In the continued absence of an update to the "Away Attendance" section of the OS (@JerrySLO) it is frustratingly difficult to nail down the official away attendance at the two games you mention. Neither match report gives the figures.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/smith-recognises-12th-man-effect/ this article on the Reading game says "...near 2,000 travelling supporters..." the Madejksi purportedly holds 24,200 so being given the full allocation and selling it would add 420 to our total.

Cardiff's stadium is 33,000, 10% of which is 3,300. Cardiff's website is utterly awful and I can see no mention of even an approximate number of away fans on any of our OS articles relating to it. Total attendance was apparently 23,846 according to an article on walesonline.co.uk. Even the ticket threads pre-game on here don't suggest how many we got given. in the absence of any evidence I am going to guess we took 1,000.

So add 2,300 onto the 420 from Reading for a hypothetical increase of 2,720 to give aggregate away attendance of 24,969 at 19 away fixtures. Would up the average to 1,314 and move us up 4 positions to where Boro sit now on 1,307. Still not top half. Assumptions are that we would be given and would sell the entire hypothetical allocation, ignoring segregation reductions etc. 

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Rovers fans are right, our away support compared to home is absolutely fckn shite

Away support compared to home support is generally between 5% and 10% obviously allowing for available tickets, we would be nearer the 5% and the Gas would be nearer 10% so in a way they are right but their home support is shocking and every ground they visit is better than their own so that probably boosts their numbers.

The Reading owner has stumped up for free travel to 15 - that's fifteen; one five - of their furthest away games this season (fire away with the gags). I understand Stoke are giving their crowd the seventh consecutive season of free travel to all away games this season.

A couple of years ago, four or five Championship clubs, all sponsored by the same betting firm, offered free away travel to midweek games. Not sure if this is still in operation. 

There doesn't appear to be the same interest/enthusiasm for this sort of thing at Bristol City. 

18 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Away support compared to home support is generally between 5% and 10% obviously allowing for available tickets, we would be nearer the 5% and the Gas would be nearer 10% so in a way they are right but their home support is shocking and every ground they visit is better than their own so that probably boosts their numbers.

Our percentage is the lowest in the league on first glance?

Think the passion and commitment to attend away games this season Is pretty low for many of us (including me).

Newcastle, Boro, Sunderland, Leeds etc - there fans live and die football. Different culture up North. I work up there quite a bit and the “soft southerner” tag is regularly used for southern based football fans.

22 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

is there a site which shows away followings?

That graph shows away followings 

7 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Are those figures the average number of supporters that each club takes away from home ?

Or is it the average number of away supporters at each clubs home games ?

The former 

Archived