IGNORED

Steve L interview

Ska Junkie

2 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

One of those with the sags wasn't it?

Embarrassed to go to the final with your own club but not embarrassed driving a load of gas heads to a final

Can’t even remember who the gas played :dunno:

I do remember being very impressed with the new Wembley tho especially as it was a paid for ticket.

43 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I always felt embarrassed qualifying for the Tin Top cup which is for ‘smaller’ clubs. The thought of being in that category grated on me.

I had a few days out at Wembley but couldn’t tell you who against.............:dunno:

Bristol City aren’t a big club, you do know that right? You’re going on as if we should be in the champions league next season! 

7 hours ago, spudski said:

I like SL...he comes across as a well meaning individual and has done great things for Bristol.

He is also honest in saying he's got an Ego...and that Ego imo, is about leaving a Legacy in Bristol. Will Lansdown be mentioned as much as Brunel in years to come?

Either way...we benefit from his legacy building.

I liked that he said that, pretty honest.

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

It was truly amazing and a bit scary to feel the stand shaking!.Talk about the place rocking........

I look back on Danny Wilson’s days with find memories of that era. Real pity he didn’t win anything.

Football was good to watch though slipped up in playoffs when Lita was left on the Bench. Rather a bit like this season didnt have many shots on goal.

19 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Is this the same Rovers who have 1 win in 14 games.......?  And yet you see our form as failing......?  I'm very confused right now!

Oh well. I was in a bad mood. Got home from work and no cold beer in the fridge. I thought I’d upset someone.

On 04/03/2020 at 10:29, Major Isewater said:

In fairness he also said it was a ‘ different time ‘ .

Who did Alan Dicks have to sell to balance the books for FFP  ?

I know SL is an honourable man who values trust and honesty but  this could just be his downfall as he is maybe the only owner  in football who is . 

He is perhaps too close to his protege to take decisions that hurt . 

I hope SL and LJ prove me wrong, I really do . 

Well he/the board didn't balance the books did they, and we went bust as a result. 

11 hours ago, Tim S said:

I interviewed him at length 8 years ago..... interesting to hear what he said back then to how things have played out.....

Just listened to this again. Very interesting indeed. Thanks for that. I used to love how Steve used to say "Bristol City Football Club" all the time. He said it at least 6 times in this interview, plus 9 mentions of just "Bristol City". This compares with 0 and 5 in the latest, Bristol Sport-centred video. A shame.

11 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Well he/the board didn't balance the books did they, and we went bust as a result. 

The point being that we had a squad of players who had been together for years and knew each other well on and off the pitch , grew up together . Those days have gone . 

We weren’t brilliantly run as a club back then . 

We mostly got bitten by the freedom of contract scenario that meant our star centreback , young Gary Collier , was lost for peanuts to Coventry and to avoid losing anymore the board thought that by tying our best players up to long contracts we would avoid losing them and any transfer fees .

We all know that , in hindsight, it wasn’t a great idea offering Clive Whitehead a ten year contract but I suppose at the time the club were just trying to protect their assets .

In order to attract players of top division standing City were also , curiously, one of the better payers at the time . 

I would hope that we never get into that situation again and with SL at the helm I am pretty relaxed about it .

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I know this is going to go down like a lead balloon but given the vast sums of money he's put into the club and lack of on-field success as a result (chiefly no Premier League football), he must be considered as one of English football's biggest underachievers, in terms of club owners.

Agree to a point, we all appreciate what he has done for the club and its a horrible thought where we would be without him, but and here come the but.. his reluctance to make the hard decision to get success we all as fans want (getting to the promise land of the premier league) I feel will to this point always go against him... I Keep saying any other decent manager with the squad, money and resource given to him by SL would comfortably be in the top six if not top 2...

14 hours ago, Tim S said:

I interviewed him at length 8 years ago..... interesting to hear what he said back then to how things have played out.....

Steve, on recruitment and transfer budgets:

Tim: will you be setting any budgets (for Derek) or will it be a case of if there's a right player then the budget will be made available?

Steve: really,  the latter.

Steve goes on to say: "What our recruitment policy should be is we go and find the best players we possibly can and then see whether we can afford to bring them in ... and if we can afford to bring them in, let's do that"

Sounds like what Cotts was trying to do three years later (!) but let's not start all that again (oh, dear. I've probably gone and started all that again .... )

Archived