IGNORED

Woodwork

Hampshire Red

This is not a post about how unlucky we have been this season but more about hitting the post, or bar. having read so many new 'stats' , shots in the box, xG, touches in the box, deep completions, expected to score, etc i wonder if anyone has a view of Championship teams this season and last, hitting the woodwork. This season, Fam seems to have done that as well as all his goals and last season we must have seen Weimann suffer that 'if only' moment a dozen times.

Don't know about Weimann but I seem to recall Fammy was the Championship's leading woodwork thwacker last season.

He thumped the frame 11 times iirc, - a remarkable number almost equal to the number of times he actually scored in all competitions.

3 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

I have justed googled "who got wood" on my work PC.

I have an interesting meeting with my head of IT and Head of HR at 5pm now. Weird, didn't know they were into football stats.

Genuine story, a Spurs fan I used to work with Googled “Young Boys” when Spurs drew them in European competition!! Luckily HR believed his side of the story .... he was of course looking for this mob: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BSC_Young_Boys

I wouldn’t recommend googling the name of their stadium either! 

Think the reason that the goal frames are now made of metal and not wood is for environmental reasons.

Its easier to recycle metal than recycle wood.

Shots that hit the goal frame will always be known as hitting the woodwork.

Can't see hitting

the tin work

the metal work

the steel work

the aluminium work

catching on.

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Shots that hit the goal frame will always be known as hitting the woodwork.

Can't see hitting

the tin work

the metal work

the steel work

the aluminium work

catching on.

No, those terms will never catch on but ‘hit the post’ or ‘hit the bar’ might do..............:dunno:

Was it Jordan Tansley on here about 3-4 years ago that got into numerous arguments about how good Liverpool were because of the amount of times they hit the woodwork, and opined that had they gone in the goal instead they’d be top of the league?

Or am I making that up???

1 hour ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

Hitting the woodwork = you've missed

Is it? 

Clearly there isn't a 'goal' unless it goes entirely over the line and the ref allows it, doesn't overrule it via VAR or a lino and the match stats record it. 

How er many people refer to shots on target or missing the target. What is hitting the woodwork (ok, metalwork), is it on target or off target? 

God, it must be raining again to have this debate! 

Archived