Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Villa's finances and FFP


Recommended Posts

A Championship-record £84m loss and eye-watering deficits of £450m over the last decade - yet Aston Villa are in safe hands.

The club's official finances for 2018/19 have been uploaded via Companies House and there's a host of figures explaining Villa's profits and losses in terms of the Villa Park sale, player bonuses, HS2 compensation and more.

Last week, of course, Aston Villa released an official statement outlining its £68.9m loss for the year ending May 31, 2019. This included the one-off £30m promotion fee paid to previous owner Randy Lerner. Villa's new owners - Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens (NSWE) - stumped up the hefty figure with ex-holder Tony Xia unable to cough up.

Back to the accounts filed on Companies House and, with the help of football finance expert and University of Liverpool lecturer Kieran Maguire, it's clear the future bodes well for Villa thanks to the sustained and strong backing of NSWE.

Maguire claims Villa used a legitimate loophole to make a £36m profit from the sale of Villa Park last year, banked £14.5m in compensation with HS2 scheduled to slice through Bodymoor Heath while pocketing £10.6m from last summer sales of Jordan Amavi, Pierluigi Gollini and Carles Gil. By the end of May, Villa had £21.9m in the bank - up a promising £18.5m compared to 2018.

NSWE continued to pump money in and injected £106m into Villa via shares throughout last year. In terms of sponsorship, Villa had an income of £22.3m for broadcasting, down a hefty £18m from the previous year. Elsewhere, gate receipts came in at £12.7m with the figure at £11.8m the year previous under Steve Bruce.

NSWE have transferred a further £30m into Villa since the end of 2018/19 as improvements continue off the pitch. The net spend on transfers for this year stands at £132m with Villa, in effect, spending their promotion-winning money to replenish what was an ageing squad.

The decade just gone Villa recorded operating losses of £450m - that's despite seven years of Premier League football and three years of parachute payments. However, with NSWE at the helm, Villa are in no trouble whatsoever and are, as it stands, complying with strict FFP rules.

"My experience with the owners has been first class," head coach Smith said of Sawiris and Edens. "They have the interests of this club at heart.

 

IMG_20200304_144552.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ever growing operating losses with diminishing profit on player ‘trading’. Interesting how this has been spun into a good news story by casually dropping in selling off their home and neglecting to mention this can only be done once. Using HS2 compensation to paper over their recklessness and sell it as good news, hilarious  

Personally I cannot wait til it goes tits up for them, I hate everything about them and the way they went about getting back out of the championship. I hope they absolutely implode.

They bet the house on black and got away with it. 

Edited by BRISTOL86
  • Like 7
  • Flames 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

lets hope all the balls land on red. Cant stand the arrogance of these foreign owners, who come in, sidestep any supposed inspections our football aurities purport to impose, use and abuse the club, ignore their loyal fans, and then set up some financial nonsense to try and explain away the debacle.

Long live SL, Bristol Sport and a clear concscience that we play to the rules, even if we didnt cheat our way up to the Prem when Villa did.

Villa also provide the worst experience on matchdays for away fans - probably anywhere in the league apart from the gas and Luton. The view is poor, the facilitites non-existant and they treat us fans badly. Le's hope (and it sounds quite likely) they are the first high profile (apologies to Bury) example of how badly run clubs will suffer in this money-driven business we used to call English Football

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

lets hope all the balls land on red. Cant stand the arrogance of these foreign owners, who come in, sidestep any supposed inspections our football aurities purport to impose, use and abuse the club, ignore their loyal fans, and then set up some financial nonsense to try and explain away the debacle.

Long live SL, Bristol Sport and a clear concscience that we play to the rules, even if we didnt cheat our way up to the Prem when Villa did.

Villa also provide the worst experience on matchdays for away fans - probably anywhere in the league apart from the gas and Luton. The view is poor, the facilitites non-existant and they treat us fans badly. Le's hope (and it sounds quite likely) they are the first high profile (apologies to Bury) example of how badly run clubs will suffer in this money-driven business we used to call English Football

I'm interested to know what you mean by facilities being non-existant.  Do we not provide away fans with toilets? Bars? Food outlets?  What facilities would you like to see provided?  Or does your claim really translate to no beer being served upstairs?

As for the view, it is better than many grounds in the EFL

Villa also play by the rules btw - This explains why we haven't been punished for breaching any.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Delta said:

I'm interested to know what you mean by facilities being non-existant.  Do we not provide away fans with toilets? Bars? Food outlets?  What facilities would you like to see provided?  Or does your claim really translate to no beer being served upstairs?

As for the view, it is better than many grounds in the EFL

Villa also play by the rules btw - This explains why we haven't been punished for breaching any.

You just posted losses of 111m in one championship season! Thats scandalous, when you consider the FFP rules!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

You just posted losses of 111m in one championship season! Thats scandalous, when you consider the FFP rules!

Still within FFP (the rules)

If you class that as scandalous, I'd hate to see what you make of something in breach of FFP

Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst Villa's accounts show scant regard for 'fair play' and emphasise having a creative accountant these days is as important as have a decent centre forward, we shouldn't get too cocky. Through our benevolent benefactor we, too, just about operate within the FFP limits but one might question whether we, too, ride roughshod over the spirit of what FFP aims to achieve?

SL talks the talk about being financially self-sustaining, often referencing that he won't always be around. That, however, doesn't explain what he thinks might happen to the mountain of debt he's accumulated, which many suspect will continue to exist and that will be written off as bad debt when the time comes, offsetting his other liabilities on the way.

I and other City fans aren't complaining at that approach and nice to be so wealthy as to be in a position to consider such action, but like those who point the finger at Villa, there are those pointing the finger at us.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I wonder if the EFL will do another 'QPR' on Villa if they come back down, which looks possible?

I believe it is worthy of re-investigation, 100%. I'm actually posting that without knowing if the original Investigation has closed.

Hopefully if they somehow scrape survival, that 'if' will become a when- as in whenever they return, that 3 years is properly investigated.

I've been posting a few figures on the FFP thread querying the price and profit of Villa Park.

Then, there's that HS2 Compensation- over £17m in 2 seasons...

Villa Chairman

HS2 guy in that region

Fortunate eh- unrelated surely though. :whistle2:

Also worth remembering the EFL are quite a bit stricter now, better run too IMO- lot could depend on the penalties for Derby and Sheffield Wednesday?

Oh yeah, Hollis- he joined HS2 in that position, in the very season they received the £14m in compensation last year! THAT is extremely fortunate timing.

I'm sure it's all it is, extremely fortunate- likewise I'm sure the compensation was at Fair Value etc. That isn't sarcasm, but I wonder if it might have been fast tracked at all given how long HS2 has been dragging?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Delta said:

I'm interested to know what you mean by facilities being non-existant.  Do we not provide away fans with toilets? Bars? Food outlets?  What facilities would you like to see provided?  Or does your claim really translate to no beer being served upstairs?

As for the view, it is better than many grounds in the EFL

Villa also play by the rules btw - This explains why we haven't been punished for breaching any.

Ummmmm.....have you actually been in the upper tier of your away end? 
Take a look, visit the excuse for a concourse.  It’s like being in a maximum security prison. No light, no air, 1 stinking tiny 1960’s toilet, 1 tiny ‘refreshment’ shack. It’s the single worst experience I’ve ever had in an away end. Awful. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've looked at their accounts multiple times, quite a few in fact and I'm becoming more convinced that Villa Park is being paid for through loans.

As in, owners loan £56.7m or however much to Villa and in exchange they get Villa Park. Collateral?

How this fits with FFP rules and classing loan payments as profit on a transaction, I'm not sure. It's not even an (inflated) transaction ie it being in Other Debtors which I take as being down the line deferred- Debt is what you're owed in exchange for something perhaps- whereas a loan implies it needs to be paid back at some point, surely?

One other note- Aston Villa release accounts for 5 companies. Except one...that one is NSWE Stadium Limited, ie the one who brought Villa Park- seems to have been delayed for 3 months, accounting loophole.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ummmmm.....have you actually been in the upper tier of your away end? 
Take a look, visit the excuse for a concourse.  It’s like being in a maximum security prison. No light, no air, 1 stinking tiny 1960’s toilet, 1 tiny ‘refreshment’ shack. It’s the single worst experience I’ve ever had in an away end. Awful. 

When I tried to book wheelchair seating I had to sit in with the home fans.  Decided that wasn’t fair on Joe and myself.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When I tried to book wheelchair seating I had to sit in with the home fans.  Decided that wasn’t fair on Joe and myself.

Would that be because you'd sold out of wheelchair seats or are you saying that Villa don't provide wheelchair spaces?

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On the topic, I've never been to Villa Park.

Being honest, I like a bit of an old school not necessarily so comfortable away end- but this one does sound beyond that.

It's not half as bad as people are making out - It's a bit like the FFP thread, you have to take a lot of the bizarre comments with a pinch of salt.

"non-existent facilities", "60s toilets" (in a stand that was built in the 90s)  It really is strange behaviour.

I actually sit in that stand myself (out of choice) so it can't be that bad can it?  Occasionally, my brother in law takes my seat if I can't go and he does comment on the narrow concourse but the view (IMO) is second to none.

Toilet and refreshment facilities are dictated by health & safety so there is no way they can be undercut.

You may well rarely sell out away allocations - We sell them out everywhere.  We're used to crushes in the concourses and queues for the toilets.

If you want to moan about away concourses, try Wolves where the entrance is at one end of the pitch - It took me 15 minutes to get through the crowd to my seat last time I was there.  Sheffield Wednesday is twice as bad as Villa as well.  What about Fulham? Rammed and not even covered, likewise Crystal Palace.  Preston, Millwall & Derby are also poor.

People on here tend to think that if they post enough nonsense enough times, it will be believed.

3 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

I so hope they get relegated - such an arrogant club!

Come on - You just want another big day out don't you?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Delta said:

It's not half as bad as people are making out - It's a bit like the FFP thread, you have to take a lot of the bizarre comments with a pinch of salt.

"non-existent facilities", "60s toilets" (in a stand that was built in the 90s)  It really is strange behaviour.

I actually sit in that stand myself (out of choice) so it can't be that bad can it?  Occasionally, my brother in law takes my seat if I can't go and he does comment on the narrow concourse but the view (IMO) is second to none.

Toilet and refreshment facilities are dictated by health & safety so there is no way they can be undercut.

You may well rarely sell out away allocations - We sell them out everywhere.  We're used to crushes in the concourses and queues for the toilets.

If you want to moan about away concourses, try Wolves where the entrance is at one end of the pitch - It took me 15 minutes to get through the crowd to my seat last time I was there.  Sheffield Wednesday is twice as bad as Villa as well.  What about Fulham? Rammed and not even covered, likewise Crystal Palace.  Preston, Millwall & Derby are also poor.

People on here tend to think that if they post enough nonsense enough times, it will be believed.

Come on - You just want another big day out don't you?

The upper tier of your away end is as bad as anything. Those others you mention are exquisite in comparison. 
I’ve been in plenty of “sell out” away ends so I know what it’s like. Queuing for the toilet or for refreshments is not an issue. It’s the pure shittiness of the whole concourse. It’s like a prison. You can literally fit 3 persons wide. 
I’ve been in all the ends you mention above. None are anywhere near as bad as yours. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Harry said:

The upper tier of your away end is as bad as anything. Those others you mention are exquisite in comparison. 
I’ve been in plenty of “sell out” away ends so I know what it’s like. Queuing for the toilet or for refreshments is not an issue. It’s the pure shittiness of the whole concourse. It’s like a prison. You can literally fit 3 persons wide. 
I’ve been in all the ends you mention above. None are anywhere near as bad as yours. 

Yeah - Of course you have - Wolves, Sheff Wed & Millwall are all worse.

When I queue up at half time, there are at least 10 people ahead of me, not 3.

I'd like to know where you go that you don't have to queue for toilets & refreshments - I go everywhere & the only way I avoid it is to go down after 35 minutes.

Funny thing is, I've not read any other away fans complaining  - Most are complimentary.  It must be a Bristol thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Delta said:

Yeah - Of course you have - Wolves, Sheff Wed & Millwall are all worse.

When I queue up at half time, there are at least 10 people ahead of me, not 3.

I'd like to know where you go that you don't have to queue for toilets & refreshments - I go everywhere & the only way I avoid it is to go down after 35 minutes.

Funny thing is, I've not read any other away fans complaining  - Most are complimentary.  It must be a Bristol thing.

You misunderstand. I said queuing for toilets and refreshments is not the problem. Of course you queue at every ground. That’s not the issue. The issue is the shittiness of the whole concourse. 
And yes, I have been to all of those you mention. Yours is the worst. By far. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Harry said:

You misunderstand. I said queuing for toilets and refreshments is not the problem. Of course you queue at every ground. That’s not the issue. The issue is the shittiness of the whole concourse. 
And yes, I have been to all of those you mention. Yours is the worst. By far. 

When is the last time you sold out at Hillsborough?

That concourse ought to be condemned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Delta said:

When is the last time you sold out at Hillsborough?

That concourse ought to be condemned.

I’ve been there when we had it packed out. 4,000 odd in 1999 (ish, if memory serves me well). 
Same as all those you mention. Been to all of them when we’ve packed it out. 
Yours is shit. I’m talking upper tier by the way. Lower isn’t as bad. Upper is the worst I’ve ever been in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Harry said:

Ummmmm.....have you actually been in the upper tier of your away end? 
Take a look, visit the excuse for a concourse.  It’s like being in a maximum security prison. No light, no air, 1 stinking tiny 1960’s toilet, 1 tiny ‘refreshment’ shack. It’s the single worst experience I’ve ever had in an away end. Awful. 

Most of the stands (inside) have carpets like a cheap curry house and skirting boards with 10 layers of gloss paint. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Delta said:

When is the last time you sold out at Hillsborough?

That concourse ought to be condemned.

How sad are you, not got anything better to do than troll on other teams forums? Better jog on and make your mum her Ovaltine

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

How sad are you, not got anything better to do than troll on other teams forums? Better jog on and make your mum her Ovaltine

And how sad are you, posting on a thread that has nothing to do with your football team?

How many threads about you lot do you think you'd find on a Villa forum?

You lot have worked yourselves into a right frenzy over AVFC for some bizarre reason best known to yourselves.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Delta said:

And how sad are you, posting on a thread that has nothing to do with your football team?

How many threads about you lot do you think you'd find on a Villa forum?

You lot have worked yourselves into a right frenzy over AVFC for some bizarre reason best known to yourselves.

How’s life living in BREAN ? Or are you one of the 10% that actually live in the midlands 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • phantom changed the title to Villa's finances and FFP

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...