IGNORED

Villa's finances and FFP

harvey54

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Do you recall they were very arrogant in their Championship years, a lot of their fans- as if gracing the League with their presence was a privilege to be bestowed, a mere affront?

Well okay I'm exaggerating a bit, but do we also not recall in 2019 a) Weimann disallowed goal at 0-0 and b) Their disgrace of a pen- to get both go against in a crucial game in the run-in.

Then there's Purslow, seems slimey- then there's Dean Smith, strikes me as a moaner, or has done in the past.

I even recall a poll in 2019 in Bristol Post or online about who fans would prefer to go up- Villa or Derby, and a lot then I think said Derby- though it might be different now given what has come to light about the latter.

Jeez let it go ?

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Any particular reason you're happy to see financial chicanery go unpunished? Grealish going on the eve of the season, it is some small consolation I guess.

I'm just wondering what it has to do with us.

14 minutes ago, Super said:

I'm just wondering what it has to do with us.

Okay fair, but my argument is that they (and Derby) might have gained an unfair/impermissible financial advantage in 2018/19 when we and they and Derby amongst others were in the playoff picture.

Had the EFL taken a tighter line in Summer 2018, chances are they and Derby- those 2 especially- would've been more restricted in what they could spend.

I also strongly suspect the EFL would have been quite keen had they dropped in 2019/20 to go through several years books with a fine toothcomb and impose a strong investigation etc.

Grealish has gone now for £100m, Sky says medical done so that's surely it so yeah kinda moot discussion now.

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Okay fair, but my argument is that they (and Derby) might have gained an unfair/impermissible financial advantage in 2018/19 when we and they and Derby amongst others were in the playoff picture.

Had the EFL taken a tighter line in Summer 2018, chances are they and Derby- those 2 especially- would've been more restricted in what they could spend.

I also strongly suspect the EFL would have been quite keen had they dropped in 2019/20 to go through several years books with a fine toothcomb and impose a strong investigation etc.

Grealish has gone now for £100m, Sky says medical done so that's surely it so yeah kinda moot discussion now.

Let it go Mr P.

I'm going to remind you once again that we were found not guilty of any wrongdoing.

You seem happy that we lost Grealish, but we will rise again.

4 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

Let it go Mr P.

I'm going to remind you once again that we were found not guilty of any wrongdoing.

Graeish was a great player for you, would you put him as the best player in the last 50 years? Bairing in mind you won in Europe during that period

20 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Graeish was a great player for you, would you put him as the best player in the last 50 years? Bairing in mind you won in Europe during that period

Erm No. Paul McGrath, Gordon Cowans, David Platt, Peter Withe, Dennis Mortimer, Gary Shaw, Dwight Yorke, Gareth Barry are in front of him for that accolade. (imo)

Some of those guys won us major trophies.

1 minute ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

Erm No. Paul McGrath, Gordon Cowans, David Platt, Peter Withe, Dennis Mortimer, Gary Shaw, Dwight Yorke, Gareth Barry are in front of him for that accolade. (imo)

Some of those guys won us major trophies.

You seem to forget Jonathan Kodjia!

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Did he not start quite well or decent for a time? Injuries at all or?

Did well at first, got 19 league goals in his first season despite not playing at his best. Then he got injured and tried to play with that injury not fully healed which made things worse. Never the same for us after that.

49 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

Let it go Mr P.

Maybe so, but a scenario in which AVFC stay down in 2019 or drop straight back in 2020, would have been quite interesting. 

Anyway I stand by the part of my view which was that the EFL had the technical right to restrict certain clubs further in the market in Summer 2018 but did not.

It's where joining up the past results, the present and immediate projections and the future Projections and bringing it all together comes in. Ongoing monitoring.

5 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

Did well at first, got 19 league goals in his first season despite not playing at his best. Then he got injured and tried to play with that injury not fully healed which made things worse. Never the same for us after that.

Yeah, do recall reports of an injury, always hard to know if players will be able to get back to it.

All told, thought he was quite good. Goals, some assists, not bad technically. Pull wider or central. Quite good prior to injuries etc of course.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, do recall reports of an injury, always hard to know if players will be able to get back to it.

All told, thought he was quite good. Goals, some assists, not bad technically. Pull wider or central. Quite good prior to injuries etc of course.

He was brilliant for us. Unpredictable, creative and instinctive. Quite rare we get players as good to watch as him and it was no surprise he went onto better things. Great bit of scouting to pick him up. 

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He was brilliant for us. Unpredictable, creative and instinctive. Quite rare we get players as good to watch as him and it was no surprise he went onto better things. Great bit of scouting to pick him up. 

I remember thinking at the time, he'll benefit from the experience of his first season, but sadly not with us .

6 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

I remember thinking at the time, he'll benefit from the experience of his first season, but sadly not with us .

I think he could've easily been a Prem standard player if he'd been schooled at a better club during his formative years. Then again, his unpredictability and flair may have been coached out of him. 

He was fantastic at his best though, a shame we only had him for a season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk7mhIZVEhA

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think he could've easily been a Prem standard player if he'd been schooled at a better club during his formative years. Then again, his unpredictability and flair may have been coached out of him. 

He was fantastic at his best though, a shame we only had him for a season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk7mhIZVEhA

I felt the same about Webster and Hartley.

One of our greatest, Gerry Gow would have been sold before we ever went up, as well as Streaky and Cheese..

A different time..

11 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Seriously? He was OK, but in no way a standout player in my memory. Flattered to deceive.

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Kodjia was quality for us imho.  The offside stuff was because nobody was on his wavelength until Tomlin came in.  He created so many chances too, if only he’d been on the end of them himself he’d have scored 25+.

Agreed. Really fun to watch.

I remember the Cotterill interview after the Yeovil friendly before 15/16 - he was pretty annoyed in this interview as we were struggling to get players in, but you could tell from his comments on Kodjia that he knew he was going to be a success. His demeanour totally changed when talking about Kodjia. 

Archived