IGNORED

Villa's finances and FFP

harvey54

So over 3 years, a club blows their premier league parachute payments, racks up massive losses, needs new owners to inject £100m to cover debts, then has to sell it's soul stadium to stay within ffp, spends £100m+ on players in the summer prior to the new premier league season and despite all of this is still shite and in the bottom 3.

Do we really want to promotion?

28 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Whatever our thoughts on Aston Villa's book keeping (I've no opinion at all on the financial affairs of other clubs, that's their business, if they've done something wrong it will come out, if not it won't), I've read this sad news about their legendary player Gordon Cowans Alzheimers Disease diagnosis - allegiances aside this is bad news

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/03/09/former-aston-villa-player-gordon-cowans-diagnosed-alzheimers/

Top player in a superb team in the days when Villa were a proper big club.

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I won't tar all with the same brush, but certainly it seems that there is a strong arrogant streak among sections of their fanbase- perhaps the Internet amplifies but the Tottenham chant didn't hear that one but nearly 40 years!

Seems to me that even when (likely the minority of sections, granted) are trying not to be arrogant, it's despite themselves. Having to hold in their views a bit.

What does "the Tottenham chant didn't hear that one but nearly 40 years" mean?

Anyone care to translate?

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

So over 3 years, a club blows their premier league parachute payments, racks up massive losses, needs new owners to inject £100m to cover debts, then has to sell it's soul stadium to stay within ffp, spends £100m+ on players in the summer prior to the new premier league season and despite all of this is still shite and in the bottom 3.

Yes because we won’t do any of the above. If/when we go up, we will mirror the likes of Bournemouth, Sheff Utd, Burnley and Brighton who didn’t spend or act recklessly on promotion.

we may well come straight back down but we would be in a much stronger position financially to challenge again 

11 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Yes because we won’t do any of the above. If/when we go up, we will mirror the likes of Bournemouth, Sheff Utd, Burnley and Brighton who didn’t spend or act recklessly on promotion.

we may well come straight back down but we would be in a much stronger position financially to challenge again 

Mirror the likes of Norwich or Cardiff more like.

If you lot got promoted, it would be a waste of a promotion spot.  All hail the saving grace though - You won the FFP trophy.

35 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The good thing is any side LJ puts together that gets promoted will mainly be young players who will only get better. So probably won't need to make too many signings 

Really? This is the same LJ that has signed over 50 players and the only academy produced player in the last squad was Wollacott who was only there because we have to have at least one. 

8 hours ago, Delta said:

What does "the Tottenham chant didn't hear that one but nearly 40 years" mean?

Anyone care to translate?

Basically, nearly 40 years since you won the European Cup- glory days long behind you.

Bit of a silly chant- but then lots of football ones are.

9 hours ago, downendcity said:

On the other hand, Sheffield United.

Did things right it would seem, well and truly- and are having a great time. Hope they make top 4.

8 hours ago, Delta said:

Mirror the likes of Norwich or Cardiff more like.

If you lot got promoted, it would be a waste of a promotion spot.  All hail the saving grace though - You won the FFP trophy.

Taking a trip north today to view the 8th wonder of the world- the Salt Plains of Aston that have mysteriously appeared (a bit like chessil beach).

Reminder of the run-in.

Going to be tough- a while ago you would have said that Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Wolves- and before them Tottenham- might be more targetable than they seemed on paper, but Arsenal seem in stronger form, Chelsea have a strong away record, Wolves are great on the break, Man Utd seem to be on a roll again- Tottenham at home may have been targetable given they seem to have sharply declined this season but even that was 0 points.

ESsuK6kX0AEqiuT?format=jpg&name=medium

Conceding 2 goals a game too, does them few favours. For all Fordy has said about Smith in the past, he cannot organise a defence- Brentford under Frank better balanced, structurally, because he often had the same issue at Brentford.

Enjoy our demise while it endures. The writing was on the wall well before last night.

If you guys ever went up I'd hope you'd put up a better fight. Think Sheffield United , not Norwich.

I enjoy the lower league and winning 20-22 games a season much more than being cannon fodder in the Prem.

I pray we can recover the club somehow.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Reminder of the run-in.

Going to be tough- a while ago you would have said that Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Wolves- and before them Tottenham- might be more targetable than they seemed on paper, but Arsenal seem in stronger form, Chelsea have a strong away record, Wolves are great on the break, Man Utd seem to be on a roll again- Tottenham at home may have been targetable given they seem to have sharply declined this season but even that was 0 points.

Conceding  goals a game too, does them few favours. For all Fordy has said about Smith in the past, he cannot organise a defence- Brentford under Frank better balanced, structurally.

In fairness I think that’s what John Terry is there for, but I get your point. 

Did you see how shit they were last night? Unbelievable. That said, thought the penalty decision against Mings was a disgrace, let alone when the VAR agreed... then to not give the next appeal for a blatant two handed push just defies belief. 

I really hope they come down. Because they’ll be without Mings & Grealish too!

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Reminder of the run-in.

I can only see 5pts from that list. Draws against Palace and Everton, and a last hurrah against West Ham. Everything else is pain.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Reminder of the run-in.

Conceding 2 goals a game too, does them few favours. For all Fordy has said about Smith in the past, he cannot organise a defence- Brentford under Frank better balanced, structurally, because he often had the same issue at Brentford.

Can see 9pts max there and that’s being generous imho. 

4 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

Do you think this would benefit Bristol City somehow ? Us coming down ?

No but it’s fun to take the piss out of teams fans who think they are billy big bollocks and who come on here giving us grief on our own forum. And your lot fit that bill in spades. 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

No but it’s fun to take the piss out of teams fans who think they are billy big bollocks and who come on here giving us grief on our own forum. And your lot fit that bill in spades. 

In fairness, it's a minority of- but I get the fun point.

AnAstonVillaFan seems much more reasonable and level than Delta e.g.

5 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

No. But you have the most unbearable set of self entitled fans ever known. Although I admit you (personally) are not exactly coming across that way. 

10 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Did you see how shit they were last night? Unbelievable. That said, thought the penalty decision against Mings was a disgrace, let alone when the VAR agreed... then to not give the next appeal for a blatant two handed push just defies belief. 

I can understand a referee geting a decision like this wrong if he only saw the incident in real time. 

However, as with too many other VAR decisions I just cannot fathom how the VAR officials, with the benefit of different camera angles and slo mo replays see so many "offences" completely differently than anyone else. Then in the recent Burnley v Bournemouth game there were 2 separate incidents, identical to Mings'. at opposite ends of the pitch and Var review awarded a penalty to Burnley but denied one to Bournemouth when the ball struck each defender in the same spot.

8 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

If we replaced you it would!   ?

Very long shot, I know.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

I can understand a referee geting a decision like this wrong if he only saw the incident in real time. 

However, as with too many other VAR decisions I just cannot fathom how the VAR officials, with the benefit of different camera angles and slo mo replays see so many "offences" completely differently than anyone else. Then in the recent Burnley v Bournemouth game there were 2 separate incidents, identical to Mings'. at opposite ends of the pitch and Var review awarded a penalty to Burnley but denied one to Bournemouth when the ball struck each defender in the same spot.

Yeh fair One. I can understand the initial mistake. I watched it, was willing for VAR to confirm, but when I watched the replay I gave it zero chance because it clearly hit his shoulder. Then for VAR to agree... I was just astounded. Are they just looking to back up their mate?

13 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

Enjoy our demise while it endures. The writing was on the wall well before last night.

If you guys ever went up I'd hope you'd put up a better fight. Think Sheffield United , not Norwich.

I enjoy the lower league and winning 20-22 games a season much more than being cannon fodder in the Prem.

I pray we can recover the club somehow.

I've often said that the journey to the premier league will probably be more fun than actually being in the premier league.

To be fair, unless our squad improved dramatically the best we could hope for would be 16th/17th. But we can dream (got to get there first mind....). 

If you do come down you will be in a far better position than you were last time. With no mass exodus of players, 100 mill tv money and parachute payments. Unless the efl do step in with a points deduction, I would expect you to bounce straight back.... Although that is never a given in the championship. 

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I do think part of the problem is that the referee is there on the pitch deciding his interpretation of the rules / laws, but at Stockley Park they are trying to be black and white.

I accept handball is a bit different, but imagine last night’s ref has allowed a bit of contact all game outside the box and not given fouls, then in the last minute you get the same amount of contact in the box for the first time, the ref says pkay-on as its in keeping with the way he’s ref’d the game, but those in SP give it as a pen.  They should be providing advice only, ref then gives to screen and makes his own mind up.

9 hours ago, Delta said:

Your bitchy little posts such as this will only make it sweeter when you go down and (hopefully) your club sinks into oblivion.

We are a club on the up. Villa are clinging on to the past and slowly drowning. Enjoy

30 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

15 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

No. But you have the most unbearable set of self entitled fans ever known. Although I admit you (personally) are not exactly coming across that way. 

I'll admit we do have some over optimistic and delusional fans. As i've said before fans older than me have seen us do amazing things, and find it hard to adjust to a new reality. 

Archived