IGNORED

Villa's finances and FFP

harvey54

7 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I've often said that the journey to the premier league will probably be more fun than actually being in the premier league.

To be fair, unless our squad improved dramatically the best we could hope for would be 16th/17th. But we can dream (got to get there first mind....). 

If you do come down you will be in a far better position than you were last time. With no mass exodus of players, 100 mill tv money and parachute payments. Unless the efl do step in with a points deduction, I would expect you to bounce straight back.... Although that is never a given in the championship. 

Sheffield Utd have a system and bought the right players, hungry British based players, Freeman, McBurnie, Robinson, Mousset (not British but already knows this country), etc.  They might not all work out, but they are Champ-ready...and not likely to spit their dummy out on relegation.  Sander Berge the only player from ‘abroad’.

4460580F-ADC3-4654-B79B-B8144F87496F.thumb.jpeg.e8ec50131d7aaa9a227f3fd948b08c1a.jpeg

That should be the model.  Haha if we were to get promoted.

Villa haven’t gone totally abroad, but they’ve put a lot of money into those foreign-based players....Wesley, Nakamba, Samatta, Treziguet and Engels.

60B154EB-E36E-4391-961C-E2ADFD310DFA.thumb.jpeg.6b9b3d7b36e76420e7ae2e24f3882994.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Yeh fair One. I can understand the initial mistake. I watched it, was willing for VAR to confirm, but when I watched the replay I gave it zero chance because it clearly hit his shoulder. Then for VAR to agree... I was just astounded. Are they just looking to back up their mate?

This is the sort of incident where I think the referee should review on the pitch side monitor. We all understand and accept that sometimes, and with the speed of play, the referees viewpoint and interpretation of an incident can inadvertently cause the wrong decision. If he was given the benefit of review, with different camera angles and slo mo replay, that showed his initial decision was wrong then referees should be encouraged to correct their initial decision.

Of course this would be conditional on managers and players being prepared to accept a reviewed decision in these circumstances. The one thing about VAR decisions is that if players are aggrieved they can't take it out on the referee, as they know he had no influence on the outcome. Perhaps this is the reason that referees don't review more,  in that they know they are protected from aggro on the pitch by the anonymity of VAR!

26 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I've often said that the journey to the premier league will probably be more fun than actually being in the premier league.

To be fair, unless our squad improved dramatically the best we could hope for would be 16th/17th. But we can dream (got to get there first mind....). 

If you do come down you will be in a far better position than you were last time. With no mass exodus of players, 100 mill tv money and parachute payments. Unless the efl do step in with a points deduction, I would expect you to bounce straight back.... Although that is never a given in the championship. 

What would we get a points deduction for ?

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sheffield Utd have a system and bought the right players, hungry British based players, Freeman, McBurnie, Robinson, Mousset (not British but already knows this country), etc.  They might not all work out, but they are Champ-ready...and not likely to spit their dummy out on relegation.  Sander Berge the only player from ‘abroad’.

4460580F-ADC3-4654-B79B-B8144F87496F.thumb.jpeg.e8ec50131d7aaa9a227f3fd948b08c1a.jpeg

Villa haven’t gone totally abroad, but they’ve put a lot of money into those foreign-based players....Wesley, Nakamba, Samatta, Treziguet and Engels.

60B154EB-E36E-4391-961C-E2ADFD310DFA.thumb.jpeg.6b9b3d7b36e76420e7ae2e24f3882994.jpeg

With the exception of Heaton, there is a resale value on most of our signings, we had to make these signings because we were down to the bare bones. They should also have relegation wage drop clauses, last time a couple of our players didn't. Sheffield United have spent £70m

2 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

What would we get a points deduction for ?

Your fan Delta seems to have formed the opinion that we all want you to get a points deduction just for being Aston Villa! :)   

Along with  Derby and Wednesday, there have been lot of questions raised about the financial issues surrounding the "sales" of  Pride Park, Hillsborough and Villa Park, in the context of FFP. Although everyone now knows that these sales did not break the ffp rules, thanks to an EFL cock up,  I think I'm right in saying that there are still ongoing investigations into issues surrounding those sales, notably the question of fair value.

While the premier league concluded that they were happy with Villa's accounts and stadium sale, there have been suggestions that the EFL might not be quite so happy and could apply penalties when you come back into their jurisdiction. 

If you want to catch up with all the latest and exciting news on this topic, I can recommend  the ffp thread on this forum which is an epic  read of "War and Peace" proportions and features contributions from fans of Derby, Wednesday and Villa, as well as the great and good of this club.

A thing I don't get with regards the stadium sale.

Other loans receivable= Sale price/independent valuation of Villa Park.

Offsetting against asset price-Net Book Value (which is carrying value-Accumulated Depreciation)=Profit on Transaction.

Payable in the form of loans receivable...for FFP purposes, it doesn't seem right. May not be wrong either though but feels a grey area/test case- certainly to count it as a Profit on Disposal.

Subtraction from the value of current loans or future loans? To which loans is it referring?

There was also a delay of 3 months for NSWE Stadium Limited, ie the company who purchased Villa Park- accounts due at the em this month but used a loophole to reduce the Reporting Period by one day, ie until 30th May 2019 as opposed to 31st May 2019, which means that the accounts don't need to appear until 3 months later. This will/should have the details for the accompanying purchase/loan arrangements...the fact it's made up to 30th May can be curious though, may not find out until 2021 if there was anything important on 31st May as opposed to 30th May 2021?

Therefore, a detailed investigation by the EFL once the NSWE Stadium Limited details are out feels a necessity IMO.

PS- this might be a red herring or muddy the waters in fact but...

If the asset is sold on credit or on a deferred instalment basis, then the proceeds of the disposal will be taken as its cash price. Anything realised over the cash price is the interest income, which is recognised as long as the credit is valid

Well it certainly wasn't a straight up front cash payment was it. "Proceeds from Disposal of Tangible Fixed Assets" as per the cash flow for the consolidated accounts showed about £10,000.

Course this whole debate/argument could be avoided if the bit of the old rules in place until 2016 was still in place- courtesy of Kieran Maguire from last year.

D-DLI4rXkAAM2Bk?format=jpg&name=small

31 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

With the exception of Heaton, there is a resale value on most of our signings, we had to make these signings because we were down to the bare bones. They should also have relegation wage drop clauses, last time a couple of our players didn't. Sheffield United have spent £70m

Yeah, definitely, it’s more the potential issues of having players at the club who don’t want to be there, and then trying to move them on at the same time as recruiting players who do want to be there, with enough quality to make another promotion push.  Couple that with players like Grealish, McGinn and Mings, your best / better players going too.  Yep, you’ll get lots of money, but it’s not always to spend it on quality players who 1) want to play in the Champ, 2) want their pound of flesh too.

34 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

Sheff United were basically safe in January so moved their summer business up a window. They spent like 30m in the summer and probably lower wages than your lot. 

Not a lot of love for Villa here. You seem ok but need to realise the hate is mostly because a lot of your fanbase are entitled knobs. Some of the things I have heard and read from Villa fans in regards to their status in the modern game is laughable. Also, the entitlement seems to go all the way up to your owners. Idk if Villa have cheated the rules but they have definitely have bent rules along the way. We here just want a level playing field. So when we see clubs “selling” their stadiums to improve their books we don’t like it as I imagine most other clubs do not. We just have a bit of recent history with transfers and other little things here and there

10 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

If an investigation was to happen and they decided on one.

Both unlikely imo. Was just trying to say that was the only way I could see you not bouncing straight back.

Fair enough. We'd have to have done something wrong or broken a rule and I can't see where we have. I hate what we've with the stadium sale because one day in the far future, that could come back to bite us. Especially if the owners ever wanted out. We spent far too much money in 2015/2016 but we have sold key international players and lowered the wage bill.

Even recently Christian Purslow has said we can't match Watford and Brighton on wages. I'll feel good about next season when we come down. Wesley and Heaton back from injury. Green and O'Hare back from loan and a few players who have done it all before. I accept we will lose Mings, Grealish and probably McGinn, but we lost David Platt,Dwight Yorke,Mark Bosnich,Ashley Young, James Milner, Stewart Downing, Gareth Barry and Christian Benteke and bounced back in the past.

51 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I just cant see many of them going.

Most have done little to enhance their reputations as premier league players and would probably remain on better money at villa than moving abroad (even with a relegation clause). Although they might not necessarily want to be there- their best option might be to give it a year tearing up the championship and increase their selling potential.

Mings, mcginn and grealish are the only ones who would attract real premier league interest...wesley might have someone willing to take a punt on previous reputation. 

On those 4 players alone they could make 100 million in transfer fees in today's market. Freeing them up for a few more record championship buys....

I'll admit I might be entirely wrong about this. I didn't see liverpool's interest in andy Robinson coming for instance.

10 minutes ago, AnAstonVillafan said:

Fair enough. We'd have to have done something wrong or broken a rule and I can't see where we have. I hate what we've with the stadium sale because one day in the far future, that could come back to bite us. Especially if the owners ever wanted out. We spent far too much money in 2015/2016 but we have sold key international players and lowered the wage bill.

Even recently Christian Purslow has said we can't match Watford and Brighton on wages. I'll feel good about next season when we come down. Wesley and Heaton back from injury. Green and O'Hare back from loan and a few players who have done it all before. I accept we will lose Mings, Grealish and probably McGinn, but we lost David Platt,Dwight Yorke,Mark Bosnich,Ashley Young, James Milner, Stewart Downing, Gareth Barry and Christian Benteke and bounced back in the past.

Watford and Brighton have extra 100s of million from premier league tv money - truth is no matter how many shirts you sell and how many seats you fill. Its difficult to compete wages wise.

A bit like championship teams trying to compete with parachute payments (a rule I hate), it immediately tips the board in certain clubs favour. 

7 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I just cant see many of them going.

Most have done little to enhance their reputations as premier league players and would probably remain on better money at villa than moving abroad (even with a relegation clause). Although they might not necessarily want to be there- their best option might be to give it a year tearing up the championship and increase their selling potential.

Mings, mcginn and grealish are the only ones who would attract real premier league interest...wesley might have someone willing to take a punt on previous reputation. 

On those 4 players alone they could make 100 million in transfer fees in today's market. Freeing them up for a few more record championship buys....

I'll admit I might be entirely wrong about this. I didn't see liverpool's interest in andy Robinson coming for instance.

You’re probably right, but will they be prepared to bust a gut for Villa in the Champ, on 40-50% less money?

El Ghazi 4 goals, 4 assists in a struggling side- only 24, room for growth- why a midtable side may not have a look for depth or more, wouldn't surprise. Tricky winger, but a bit mercurial?

Good stock- Ajax academy, Lille too.

OTOH, quick search on Twitter of El Ghazi attitude throws up a lot of tweets- think he has some sound ability but wonder about the attitude.

2 hours ago, lenred said:

No but it’s fun to take the piss out of teams fans who think they are billy big bollocks and who come on here giving us grief on our own forum. And your lot fit that bill in spades. 

We are billy big bollocks - That's why you're all so obsessed about us - The Championship has never known anything quite like Villa being there and you don't like it when we flex our muscles.

And with Grealish &  Mings not being there will mean we've got even more money to burn than last time.

3 minutes ago, Delta said:

We are billy big bollocks - That's why you're all so obsessed about us - The Championship has never known anything quite like Villa being there and you don't like it when we flex our muscles.

And with Grealish &  Mings not being there will mean we've got even more money to burn than last time.

So bigger then Newcastle or West Ham, Leeds or Nottingham Forest or numerous other clubs? Jesus you are showing your true colours now.

5 minutes ago, Delta said:

Just :laugh:

What an absolute plum you are. Giving it large when you're being battered every week and about to be back in the Championship with Birmingham.. 

I kind of hoped your comment was tongue in cheek, but it appears you believe your own hype.

You sad individual.

As for being obsessed with your 'club', we are just grateful we're run properly. 

Absolute plum you are! 

2 minutes ago, CiderCraig said:

Just :laugh:

What an absolute plum you are. Giving it large when you're being battered every week and about to be back in the Championship with Birmingham.. 

I kind of hoped your comment was tongue in cheek, but it appears you believe your own hype.

You sad individual.

As for being obsessed with your 'club', we are just grateful we're run properly. 

Absolute plum you are! 

Nothing to do with giving it large - Just stating a fact.  Of course Villa are bigger than anything the Championship has ever seen.  Ever presents in the PL up to that point and numerous top 6 finishes.

2 minutes ago, Delta said:

Nothing to do with giving it large - Just stating a fact.  Of course Villa are bigger than anything the Championship has ever seen.  Ever presents in the PL up to that point and numerous top 6 finishes.

"Up to that point" - That's like saying "we went unbeaten, until somebody beat us"!

Your trolling is poor, yes you have had bites, but that's because we are laughing at you, not annoyed by you.

You aren't good enough for the Prem. anymore, your finances are ****ed and your 'saviour' Jack Grealish will be jumping ship in about 3 months time!

See you back at the 'Gate soon.

3 minutes ago, Delta said:

Ah I see, you are young enough to be labouring under the impression that football started with Sky and the Premier League. My own interpretation of a "big club" goes back much further. Numerous "also ran" finishes you say? Leeds actually won your precious Premier League, I think I know which is more impressive. 

One thing we need to factor in here.

Need to factor in, is one unknown factor. HS2 related revenue- how much of that is still outstanding to Aston Villa regarding Bodymoor Heath and associated disruption?

It was £3m in 2017/18 and £14-15m last season. 

Was it overpriced? Who knows. Was it expedited- it's possible but we can only speculate. Point is we don't know if any due this season, next or so on.

It is/was classed as "Exceptional Operating Income"- but how can it be Exceptional or deemed as this, if it happens in successive financial years- unless the £3m in 2017/18 was a different category of "Exceptional Operating Income".

A solution to this might be ring fencing it. For example if it's for Infrastructure related compensation, then it should be ring fenced for Infrastructure related expenditure.

Archived