IGNORED

Meanwhile at Spurs...

One Team

27 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Because it’s not the same thing. Entering the pitch is against the rules, entering the stand isn’t.

Yes I realise that, wouldn't be arrested for entering the stand, how I read it earlier I thought he had thrown a punch but it appears not, thats why I was asking about him being arrested, my mistake. 

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Eerything seems to be going wrong for The Meddler, or The Tinkerer or whatever you want to call Jose (Spurs fans seem to hate him more than i know any club dislikes their manager!

Don't worry easy 3 points against Fulham on Saturday...

3 hours ago, hodge said:

Supposedly the guy was verbally abusing Eric (which he was ignoring if he could hear it) his brother took offense to what was being said and Eric saw and altercation between them as he was walking near the tunnel looking up into the crowd for his brother, Eric then goes into the crowd because he sees his brother in an altercation not knowing whats happened, and to be honest seems a natural reaction if you see a sibling potentially in some sort of trouble.

Jose was spot on, it’s a natural reaction, but not something you should do as a professional.

5 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Why would he have been arrested? 

A member of the public entering the playing surface of a sporting event is a criminal offence. A football player entering a football stand is not.

That might be the case, but a footballer entering the stands in circumstances such as last night is clearly highly inflammatory and could have provoked serious unrest. He didn't wade into the stands to give his shirt to a kid, he jumped the hoardings and scaled over the seats specifically for the purposes of a confrontation. At the very least do his actions not constitute a breach of the peace? 

11 minutes ago, Riaz said:

am i missing something?

Not sure. Are you? ?Baldock was sympathising with Dier because sometimes the level of abuse from the terraces is a bit much especially if the players family is there and he backed this up by saying he had to leave The Coventry v City game because of the abuse his brother, Sam, was getting and he couldn't stand it anymore

4 minutes ago, Big C said:

Not sure. Are you? ?Baldock was sympathising with Dier because sometimes the level of abuse from the terraces is a bit much especially if the players family is there and he backed this up by saying he had to leave The Coventry v City game because of the abuse his brother, Sam, was getting and he couldn't stand it anymore

When did he say this?

On 05/03/2020 at 01:12, poland_exile said:

best comment I've seen so far goes, "well, at least he's tried to tackle something for a change".

On a more serious note, many sources are now saying that it was not an incident sparked by racism. That being the case, I hope he gets the same kind of punishment as a fan would receive for storming onto the pitch at full-time to confront a player. 

So if it was 'racist insult/abuse' rather than 'personal family member insult/abuse' …. Would Dier's reaction be more or less justified?  

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

So if it was 'racist insult/abuse' rather than 'personal family member insult/abuse' …. Would Dier's reaction be more or less justified?  

Well, that's not for me to decide, but seeing you've asked my personal opinion I'll share it :) 

Personally I would expect a player to demonstrate more restraint - however, I've no idea how i'd react in the heat of the moment, and would probably lose my head a little myself. But, i'm not a footballer being paid vast sums and idolized by a very wide fan base.

I'm of the belief that such is the standing awarded to footballers nowadays (rightly or wrongly) they should really know better. However, they are human and prone to flip like the next man. There is a line that should not be crossed, and that includes wading into the crowd to have a crack at someone. It is pretty much the very worst thing a player can do at a match and should be punished accordingly. Like I mention previously, if a fan had gone to extreme lengths to get onto the pitch and have a crack at a player he would be hung, drawn and quartered. What Dier did was equally bad and could had very serious consequences. This should not be brushed over regardless of any mitigating factors. 

Archived