IGNORED

Wednesday

Hampshire Red

What went wrong on Wednesday at Hillsborough. Apparently hundreds of empty seats, a load of booing for the home team and they are another Championship Club going the wrong way very fast. Imagine how we'd feel if the gas were going for Europe, but thankfully, like Sheffield, our City is Red

16 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

My mate in Lanzarote is a huge Wendy.  Flies back to the UK every few weeks to take in a game or two.  He's not seen them win 'live' this season at all!  He screens all Wendy games in his bar.  Nice place but gets full of Northerners!  (Says the bloke who was born in Manchester!!!)

So San Javier is a suburb of Manchester ? 

59 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Lots of fans wanted Monk in charge here as well. Another example of fans not necessarily knowing what is best. 

No guarantee with any manager. I like Monk and if names are being banded about he is a realistic option (unlike some others that get mentioned).

Is he the bees-knees?  Probably not but he’s done decent jobs at this level. He tends to play a set system and did well with Birmingham and was doing a good job with Wednesday -  but they have fallen off a cliff!

Streaky Monk? ???

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No guarantee with any manager. I like Monk and if names are being banded about he is a realistic option (unlike some others that get mentioned).

Is he the bees-knees?  Probably not but he’s done decent jobs at this level. He tends to play a set system and did well with Birmingham and was doing a good job with Wednesday -  but they have fallen off a cliff!

Streaky Monk? ???

It'll soon be Sunk Monk, Dave.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Streaky Monk? ???

It always amazes me that someone would want a manager who is managing a team of similar (if not bigger) size who are lower than us in the league, scoring fewer goals and who's win ratio is no different to our manager.

Why ?

4 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

It always amazes me that someone would want a manager who is managing a team of similar (if not bigger) size who are lower than us in the league, scoring fewer goals and who's win ratio is no different to our manager.

Why ?

New face to take the flak, first question will be "how tall is he?" 

9 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Why ?

Indeed - I'm really not sure what people see in Garry Monk. He had 6 good months at Swansea but that's about it. I feel LJ's time here might soon be up but he certainly wouldn't be on my shortlist to replace him.

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

What went wrong on Wednesday at Hillsborough. Apparently hundreds of empty seats, a load of booing for the home team and they are another Championship Club going the wrong way very fast. Imagine how we'd feel if the gas were going for Europe, but thankfully, like Sheffield, our City is Red

The thing is, our city is ALWAYS red, theirs changes over time as to who has the upper hand.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Streaky Monk? ???

Easily pleased Dave! 

1 hour ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

Why ?

Because in Monk’s case he’s had periods when he has done better!  By your token LJ would never have been in the picture!

1 hour ago, RedJim said:

Indeed - I'm really not sure what people see in Garry Monk. He had 6 good months at Swansea but that's about it. I feel LJ's time here might soon be up but he certainly wouldn't be on my shortlist to replace him.

Subjective. Boro and Leeds 46/47% win percentage. Birmingham mid table whilst not able to recruit. 

52 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Easily pleased Dave! 

Yep, you know me!! ?

My opening was purely about Sheff Wed and how they are going down the tubes faster than Gerrard's Gers.

In this weird division this season is there any way for them or is that one club we will defo finish ahead of? THis isnt a Monk v Lj thread either because we all know we have much the better deal. In fact few on here can ever mention a realistic alternative to our 'Top' guy, just like Ger's cant find a realistic alternative to Stevie G and Spurs fans cant find a realistic alternative to Jose - But they want him out.

What other teams are most likely to pip us for 6th spot, IF Owls cant. PNE for one

14 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

My opening was purely about Sheff Wed and how they are going down the tubes faster than Gerrard's Gers.

In this weird division this season is there any way for them or is that one club we will defo finish ahead of? THis isnt a Monk v Lj thread either because we all know we have much the better deal. In fact few on here can ever mention a realistic alternative to our 'Top' guy, just like Ger's cant find a realistic alternative to Stevie G and Spurs fans cant find a realistic alternative to Jose - But they want him out.

What other teams are most likely to pip us for 6th spot, IF Owls cant. PNE for one

There have been numerous ‘ realistic alternatives to our Top Guy ‘ , do you have that many posters on ‘ ignore ‘ ?

I’m completely out of the loop with what’s going on at Wednesday. I thought they were having an reasonable, if not inconsistent, season. I’ve not looked at their recent form though. 

Anyway, how come they only had 20k attendance for their cup game Vs Man City..? 

14 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

I would have thought Rangers fans would have been happy as they have got further down in Europe than the hoops. Another group of fans who define success as anywhere higher than they currently are?

Hey guys, Bez from Owlstalk here.

So what went wrong?

Historically, we got relegated from the Prem before the big money came and our old owners/managers bought badly.  So we ended up in an elongated tour of the Football League.

We nearly went bust but Milan Mandaric came in, saved us and sold us in good shape to Chansiri.  

Chansiri has some cash, has great intentions but has put us into a complete mess because:

• He doesn't understand football and is badly advised
  • He spends poorly trying to please the fans and hates selling players 
  • He makes bizarre decisions off the field

When Chansiri came in, he appointed Carlos Carvalhal - a fan favourite manager who we still love.  Chansiri invested and we ended up with bargains like Forestieri, Hooper and Bannan.  A proper playoff level squad playing good football.  He also bought the fans a present in Lewis McGugan who ended up a bust.

We went to the playoffs and lost in the final 1-0 to Hull.  We beat Arsenal 3-0 in the League Cup.  Optimism flowed freely.

The year after, Chansiri got his cheque book out and spent on Adam Reach (£5m - decent), Almen Abdi (£5m - complete bust), Pudil (£2m - decent), David Jones (£2m - bust).  We saw the influence of his advisors (Amadeu Paixao) who loves a bizarre signing.  Urby Emmanuelson came in and I think he played once despite being on significant wages.

At Christmas, Chansiri bought us fans another present.  Jordan Rhodes for £10m who has been mostly terrible ever since.  We also started seeing issues in the squad with fallings out and big egos (Forestieri, Hutchinson, Westwood).  We got to the playoffs with terrible football and we weren't good enough to go up. 

Off the field, our 150 Year Anniversary was terrible.  No commemorative game - only a massive ball cake (google it for a laugh).  Ticket prices were the most expensive in the league.

Chansiri had caused a problem.  He spent too much and realised we were going to fall foul of FFP.  He tried to invent new companies to sponsor Wednesday, like D Taxis who have no cars...

Due to a secret soft embargo, we had trouble that summer in the transfer market and sold no one for any money.  FFP was looming and results were dire.  Carvalhal was sacked and we improved enough to avoid relegation...

We had an ageing squad, a transfer embargo and FFP was looming over the club.  To help matters, we appointed the worst manager of all time in Jos Luhukay who froze out veterans and brought through youth (who weren't really ready yet).  We were terrible.

At the same time as our decline, Chansiri said the fans had to pitch in financially.  He went on a mad rant at the AGM saying he didn't want negativity or criticism.  Ticket prices went through the roof but we were promised more spending.  That spending never came...  Only free transfers or small punts that failed (Van Aken, Pelupessy).  The summer after saw exactly the same issue and we ended up with a stagnant squad.

Chansiri found a way to solve the issue!!!  HOORAY!  He sold the stadium to himself for £60m, sacked Luhukay and hired Steve Bruce and things looked up again.  Prices went up again for fans...

Bruce had a plan but was late starting.  Chansiri gave him a month off before he had even started the job...  But when he arrived, the football improved and we were optimistic.

Sadly Bruce the snake jumped to Newcastle and we had to appoint Garry Monk.  We now had solved FFP so we had some cash to spend but no time for Garry to spend it in the summer.  Oh and we were under embargo again.  Despite this, Monk got us playing well and we were 3rd in the league!

BUT THEN THINGS WENT FROM BAD TO WORSE. 

The EFL said our stadium sale was a breach of rules and we were being charged.  Chansiri went into exile, not to be heard of again...  and we are expecting a 12 point deduction. 

Monk froze out disrupting older players but wasn't allowed to get rid of anyone in the January transfer window.  Loans only Garry.  Our form took a nose dive and confidence disappeared.  The performances are shambolic and we are in a dark, dark place.

We are in a relegation fight because the 12 point deduction is coming and that leaves us in the bottom 3.  We have an old and stagnant squad full of egos and injured players and we can't sell anyone...

We need a full clear out and rebuild with better advice for Chansiri and better matchday prices that reflect his actual, low investment. 

That's the story...)

tl;dr: - Chansiri gambled on promotion in 2016, missed and it's left us in a mess that will take ages to fix.

Just to address the OP.....I didn’t hear any booing at all on Wednesday.....in fact it was practically a standing invasion at the end.....one of our players got an ovation for carrying the ball from the edge of our area in to their half before someone took it off him so we were definitely in a good mood

Empty seats wise it’s a massive disappointment for me....I heard many comments about no point going because we will only get hammered by Cities reserves....in which case many people missed out......not very often you get to see Jesus, Aguero, Forestieri and Sterling playing at your ground in the same match

i think the main reason for the low attendance is that people have got out of the habit of buying tickets due to the stupid potd prices we have....even if it was a reasonable £25 for adults even season tickets holders have to make an effort to get them

Moving on to our recent form and Monk.....in two words the main reason for our drop off is Steven Fletcher....he’s been out injured since we beat Brighton in the cup and been a massive miss......Palace must look at his performances since we’ve stated to ease him back and wonder if we can send them Fletcher instead of Wickham back when his loan finishes.

In terms of Monk, the jury is still out for me....I would never judge any manager until he’s had at least 1 pre season and a couple of transfer windows to put his own mark on things and his CV prior to us wasn’t too bad despite working for some basket case owners.....and even with us it’s not too long ago that we slapped 4 past Middlesbrough in the first half at their place followed soon after by being 4-0 at Forest at half time.

And despite our poor form since Christmas we are still only 8 points off the play offs....we will be bringing a forward line of Fletcher, Wickham and Forestieri down to Ashton Gate next week which is always capable of ripping teams apart....let’s see where we both are after that game 

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Because in Monk’s case he’s had periods when he has done better!  By your token LJ would never have been in the picture!

Subjective. Boro and Leeds 46/47% win percentage. Birmingham mid table whilst not able to recruit. 

Yep, you know me!! ?

The last 2 appointments 32% and 35%. Recent history is he is a worse manager than LJ.

He has done better at the "biggest" club in the league and a club relegated with parachute money.

If and it is a big if we are looking for a new manager then I wouldn't be calling for someone with a record worse than the one we just sacked. If that would have put LJ out the picture then your right.

14 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

The last 2 appointments 32% and 35%. Recent history is he is a worse manager than LJ.

He has done better at the "biggest" club in the league and a club relegated with parachute money.

If and it is a big if we are looking for a new manager then I wouldn't be calling for someone with a record worse than the one we just sacked. If that would have put LJ out the picture then your right.

I only gave the win percentages in response to the poster who said he’d only had a good 6 months at Swansea.  It ain’t the be all and end all and you are right re the stature of Leeds and Boro....although at the time Leeds was a basket-case of a club.

I still rate him as a manager, he’s done decent jobs at Brum and initially at Wednesday under financial pressure.  Imho, the job at Brum in particular, picking up after the over-spending years.

I think he’d be a good for here under our structure, I think SL and MA would see someone like him fitting the bill too.  He’s got Prem League experience as a player and manager and sets his teams up well.

Its all about opinions.  I’m cool with that.

On 05/03/2020 at 12:36, Davefevs said:

Streaky Monk? ???

Think he's very overrated tbh. 

But Wednesday's drop off not surprised me at all, they were over achieving when near the playoffs earlier in the season.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very overrated? In what way?  Curious.

At Swansea he had the benefit of being a part of the squad that went up through the leagues, and a club that at the time was built around a philosophy and way of recruiting and playing.

While the task itself (Swansea in the Prem) wasn't a particularly easy one, a lot of the groundwork was already done.

Credit to him for the 8th place finish he got them.

At Leeds and Middlesbrough he was at 2 sides that were expecting promotion, at Boro he talked of instant promotion, left the club with them in 9th.

Do think he is overrated, but he's a better manager than Rowett, and I may have had the two mixed up when I first replied.

Archived