IGNORED

Ade Akinbiyi or Fammy Diedhiou?

reddogkev

The only African strikers I can recall playing for City (or at least the most expensive two anyway) - who would you rather have in the team now?

Both big, powerful, handfuls with the heart of a lion - but also with their own differing qualities.

I loved Ade even though we were relegated in his time, and I also bloody love Fam.

There's a gun to your head - who you going to pick?

I'm going for Akinbiyi - scored a load of goals if I remember rightly - but also missed a fair few, I'll grant you that.

12 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

kodja

adomah

bolassie 

Isn't Kodjia French?  I know we signed him from Angers, possibly just filed him in my mind as a French man due to that reason!

The other two are wingers for sure.

I also believed Garita to be French - where the hell am I getting my info from?

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Akinbiyi for me all day long. Nice bloke as well. Used to see him around Nailsea.  Very approachable and happy to chat.

That makes Fammy sound like he's not a nice bloke mind! From pretty much unanimous posts on here and beyond I was under the impression that Fammy was a top fella!??

That's not a pop btw! 

Back on topic - love this comparison, and I hope none of our more delicate fans think it's a racist thing! Ade was crazy good at times, and I think in this team he would totally thrive. Fams - love him, so glad that even in a season defined by backbiting among fans he has pulled many around. To credit both, you cannot fault their love and appetite for the game, nor their respect for the shirt they play in. 

Hat's off to both! 

36 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I like Fammy, but Ade Akinbiyi Is my fave ever striker. Love him. 

Good to know, Fordy, old boy.  My number one is Goater, even though he spoiled things slightly by ditching us to drop a league and sign for Man City.

As an addition - I loved that season. Mad matches at times, great support away from home, good days - didn't realize at the time, but we were in the final days of football as we knew it! 

West Brom away - what a day!!! 

Nearly survived, that string of games at easter with pompey away, etc. If it weren't for that bloody ref against Birmingham at home, reckon we would have scraped it - and playing very decent football. 

CTID! 

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Enoch Showunmi was Nigerian no?

Christ, how could I forget Enoch coming over the hill?  African City strikers are crawling out of the wood work now, turns out we've had bloody hundreds of them!

I like the new direction of this thread though - who's our greatest ever African player?  Has OTiB ever answered this burning question?

4 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Christ, how could I forget Enoch coming over the hill?  African City strikers are crawling out of the wood work now, turns out we've had bloody hundreds of them!

I like the new direction of this thread though - who's our greatest ever African player?  Has OTiB ever answered this burning question?

If we're straying away from strikers then it's Adam El-abd obviously.

37 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Dele Adebola.

He gave one of the best performances i have seen in the playoff semi at Palace, absolutely battered the defenders. Sadly along with everyone else he was awful at Wembley.

47 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Let's really throw it open and go with beat ever overseas player......

Basso?

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Good to know, Fordy, old boy.  My number one is Goater, even though he spoiled things slightly by ditching us to drop a league and sign for Man City.

Goater was born in Bermuda, a long way from Africa the last time I looked at an atlas.

Archived